Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Have you ever had Douhua? It's basically soft tofu with a sweet syrup made from ginger. The syrup is sweet and light, and has the spicy aroma of ginger in it, while the tofu is very soft and custard-like.

That's what I'd imagine would be the closest real-world equivalent to that Bird-egg drink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Oil cook probably uses super healthy mega-oils instead of the cheapo frystuff at your local chicken shack.

Doesn't he use his own natural oils?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Seebach posted:

Doesn't he use his own natural oils?

This is both really gross and totally something that would happen in Toriko.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I wonder what would happen if you ate Century Soup, Meteor Garlic, and this egg drink all at the same time.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Oil cook probably uses super healthy mega-oils instead of the cheapo frystuff at your local chicken shack.
He does use that Mors Oil that Komatsu et al discovered when getting the Shining Gourami, which was supposedly super healthy and stuff.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So what the hell does rapid hair growth have to do with good food? Is this a Japan thing?

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
I thought the panel of the President being appreciative to the Billion bird on the second page and then holding a glass on the last page was a very nice touch.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ANIME AKBAR posted:

So what the hell does rapid hair growth have to do with good food? Is this a Japan thing?

The good food stimulates the gourmet cells, causing hair and nails to grow as a sign of their inner power growth, kinda like Tetsuo in Akira.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Of course it would make hair grow, after all, it's on Toriko's full course and will have to pair up well with God. :laugh:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
My hope is that at the end of the series, Toriko will eat his full course all in one meal and we will see all of its hilarious effects at the same time.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Nahxela posted:

I wonder what would happen if you ate Century Soup, Meteor Garlic, and this egg drink all at the same time.

He does use that Mors Oil that Komatsu et al discovered when getting the Shining Gourami, which was supposedly super healthy and stuff.

gently caress, Toriko should've put the garlic on his full course. I like that the only boring ingredient on there so far is the BB Corn.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Fecha posted:

My hope is that at the end of the series, Toriko will eat his full course all in one meal and we will see all of its hilarious effects at the same time.

He's gonna do that right before the final boss in order to reach gourmet super-saiyan.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rudoku posted:

gently caress, Toriko should've put the garlic on his full course. I like that the only boring ingredient on there so far is the BB Corn.
Ah yes, the 20-story tall super-tough popped corn that has to be heated by a volcano in order to pop and feed a hundred people. So boring! :colbert:

Just kidding, it is sort of boring. I think the Rainbow Fruit is comparatively more boring, but it also looks more delicious. It also made me check the Toriko wiki, where I found out that it "ranked 28th in the first Popularity Poll with 23 votes, tieing with the Grinpatch." And that's hilarious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My problem with Toriko's full course is that it has no synergy or encompassing theme. It is just whatever ingredients they come up with at a given point in the manga, but the style and scope of the setting has developed over time.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Serious Frolicking posted:

My problem with Toriko's full course is that it has no synergy or encompassing theme. It is just whatever ingredients they come up with at a given point in the manga, but the style and scope of the setting has developed over time.

That's probably quite common though, unless you're a huge drunk or planning for the destruction of all farmland in the human world.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Brandfarlig posted:

That's probably quite common though, unless you're a huge drunk or planning for the destruction of all farmland in the human world.

The basic problem I think is that the power (err, flavor?) creep has rendered the early stuff on Toriko's Full Course like Rainbow Fruit kinda boring by comparison.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

RatHat posted:

This is both really gross and totally something that would happen in Toriko.

It has happened in the Torikoverse.

He sweats oil.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Seebach posted:

He sweats oil.

I meant him using it in his cooking.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Seebach posted:

He sweats oil.
Eh it's probably an attack and not a recipe. It's hard to imagine anyone not being grossed out by it, even in a universe where people fart on apples to make them delicious.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

The encompassing theme is that they're all super goddamn delicious!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

KittenofDoom posted:

Eh it's probably an attack and not a recipe. It's hard to imagine anyone not being grossed out by it, even in a universe where people fart on apples to make them delicious.

This is the world where a hairy sweaty man will literally wrestle with a roll of makizushi for many minutes and then dump it on the ground and it's delicious.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yes but this is also out of a country where 2/3rds of the television at any time takes place in a restaurant and shows people eating and shouting about how good the food is.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

alkanphel posted:

The encompassing theme is that they're all super goddamn delicious!
Toriko is basically a pure Epicurean, so this is it.

All of Toriko's dishes are stuff with crazy complex flavors that create loving rainbows and auroras and make you have out-of-body food orgasms.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Shugojin posted:

The basic problem I think is that the power (err, flavor?) creep has rendered the early stuff on Toriko's Full Course like Rainbow Fruit kinda boring by comparison.

The way I see it is his full course depicts his growth as a hunter.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

Toriko is basically a pure Epicurean, so this is it.

All of Toriko's dishes are stuff with crazy complex flavors that create loving rainbows and auroras and make you have out-of-body food orgasms.

Yeah, I think that's his theme.
The most rare and unique flavors in the gourmet world. Not just ingredients that are hard to get/capture level impossible, mind you. Just the most eccentric things you can find out there that Toriko personally invested time and emotion into getting.

But BB corn is the perfect Hors d'Oeuvre : It makes people hungrier and the subsequent food tastier.
Real life chefs would kill for something like that.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 28, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I decided to re-read a few parts of Toriko just now and I think I found a bit that basically encapsulates the feeling of the series.

Toriko.jpg

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fabricated posted:

I decided to re-read a few parts of Toriko just now and I think I found a bit that basically encapsulates the feeling of the series.

Toriko.jpg

RIP Komatsu's nose

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AnonSpore posted:

RIP Komatsu's nose
It's a tad dramatic how much characters change even when they don't age much. It's been like...~3ish years in-series?

First Chapter:

~Halfway In (like chapter 120-something):

Latest Chapter:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fabricated posted:

It's a tad dramatic how much characters change even when they don't age much. It's been like...~3ish years in-series?

First Chapter:

Latest Chapter:

Latent gourmet cells inside Komatsu's body have streamlined his senses, so with a more efficient olfactory system his large nostrils are no longer needed and have atrophied through gourmet evolution

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AnonSpore posted:

Latent gourmet cells inside Komatsu's body have streamlined his senses, so with a more efficient olfactory system his large nostrils are no longer needed and have atrophied through gourmet evolution
Or he found the amazing rare ingredient the "Uke Fruit".

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RatHat posted:

I meant him using it in his cooking.
He uses his perspired oil to cook/flash fry the beasts he fought, if that counts. He could probably eat them afterwards, in all honesty. I bet they would taste good, too.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Nahxela posted:

He uses his perspired oil to cook/flash fry the beasts he fought, if that counts. He could probably eat them afterwards, in all honesty. I bet they would taste good, too.

Just don't tell Sani where the Oil came from.

I mean, we've seen this guy swig Cooking Oil.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Komatsu looks like a shorter, prettier Rin with those eyelashes. :allears:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Latest Chapter:

Middle Komatsu is the best, gently caress this new nose poo poo. I'm out.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I hope Komatsu loses more and more of his nose until a stack underflow happens and he becomes all nose.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Again, sorry to be back to the anime, but (and I guess I'm going to spoiler this)

Minority World - Potentially Cut
Joa v. Heavenly Kings/Star
Coco still has black hair after getting out of the crater
Setsu and Jirou vs. Teppei (like that's nescessary)
Midoras back story butchered

I mean, they are going through such a wild turn I can't imagine how they would get back to the original ending to this part of the story.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sounds like they're ending it. Were the ratings not good?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I've heard the Toriko multimedia franchise is doing poorly in Japan overall, which is a drat shame.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I can't say I'll miss Minority World.
Jeez was that a bad idea.

Though I just hope this affects the manga none since I enjoy it so much more.
It's pace is amazing. (well except for minority world (goddamn that was groanworthy))

Also I've been rereading Toriko now and I am getting hungry.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 4, 2014

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

I've heard the Toriko multimedia franchise is doing poorly in Japan overall, which is a drat shame.

I remember the vocalist who has done the openings was getting into a Toriko Project, and I never knew what the project was for.

I guess it was to attempt to save the show...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The show doesn't have the greatest pacing within episodes and with animations during fights, so I don't imagine those two things helping the series' popularity.

• Locked thread