Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

midge posted:

Someone in the thread a while ago was discussing a group buy for Saturn mod chips right? Was there any movement on that?

It's only for true professionals and those who don't know fear, since it turns out the ribbon cables were mostly ancient and bad so if you don't mind sourcing a ribbon cable yourself then yeah :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tyson Tomko posted:

Does anyone want to sell me a working Sega Saturn? I've been putting off getting one way too long.

Check your PMs, sailor. ;-*

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Late to the dance game talk party

Bing the Noize posted:

The only step from here is to get my own machine :cripes:
I used a CobaltFlux for about a year. They are probably the 2nd best hard pad, behind the MyMyBox Blueshark which lasted me forever

I love DDR way too much and just bit the bullet though, sold the hard pads and upgraded

:retrogames: :homebrew:

The cabinet was $900 but it was in horrible shape. Had to replace the monitor, replace all of the sensors, remove all of the metal brackets and vacuum the pads, rewire the JAMMA harness, replace the amp and the digital 573 (main unit that contains the PS1/MPEG decoder card/input/output) and get a new glass pane and advertising cardboard cut-out repros from channelbeat, but it looks just like it did when i first played DDR in my late teens. I can't wait until it warms up outside so I can start playing again

I'm housing the Pump It Up for a friend and is free for pickup :supaburn:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bing the Noize posted:

It's only for true professionals and those who don't know fear, since it turns out the ribbon cables were mostly ancient and bad so if you don't mind sourcing a ribbon cable yourself then yeah :v:

Like these?

http://www.segastyle.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

Sorry, I didn't intend any "guff" in my reply. There really where just a bunch of school yard Pokemon rumors and that's what the down+a thing was a reference to.

Welcome to the fantastical life of Jeff Gerstman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N3nTf5s_zo&t=26s

No guff considered, that's just me being Bob Ryan and not understanding anything released after 1990 or so.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

URL grey tea posted:

I used a CobaltFlux for about a year. They are probably the 2nd best hard pad, behind the MyMyBox Blueshark which lasted me forever

I love DDR way too much and just bit the bullet though, sold the hard pads and upgraded

The cabinet was $900 but it was in horrible shape. Had to replace the monitor, replace all of the sensors, remove all of the metal brackets and vacuum the pads, rewire the JAMMA harness, replace the amp and the digital 573 (main unit that contains the PS1/MPEG decoder card/input/output) and get a new glass pane and advertising cardboard cut-out repros from channelbeat, but it looks just like it did when i first played DDR in my late teens. I can't wait until it warms up outside so I can start playing again

Good. Excellent. This is all very, very good to see.

You better be already working on running X3 vs 2nd Mix HD aka Best Mix on that, at least until you can get DDR 2013 on there!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

URL grey tea posted:

Pump Fiesta is good but I'd drop Zero in that in a heartbeat. PIU superiority. :colbert:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

How is that monitor? Any weird geometry issues since it seems flat and not curved?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Speaking of Saturns, I just won an eBay auction(suck it snipers) for a bunch of untested Sega hardware including a Saturn. What's a decent cheapo game I can get to test it?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RodShaft posted:

Speaking of Saturns, I just won an eBay auction(suck it snipers) for a bunch of untested Sega hardware including a Saturn. What's a decent cheapo game I can get to test it?

The Virtua Fighter games can usually be had for pretty cheap. Though aim for Virtua Fighter 2 or Virtua Fighter Remix if you can. Virtua Fighter 1 was kind of a bad port which is why Virtua Fighter Remix exists.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 27, 2014

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

How is that monitor? Any weird geometry issues since it seems flat and not curved?

Doesn't give a whole lot of info on that page but if it's a monitor for arcade use it's gonna be drat good.

I mean the Toshiba PF D29C051 was a lot of the reason I wanted to get a cabinet. Most of it is just a nice place to put a GIANT loving monitor like that.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Bing the Noize posted:

Good. Excellent. This is all very, very good to see.

You better be already working on running X3 vs 2nd Mix HD aka Best Mix on that, at least until you can get DDR 2013 on there!
You can swap between DDR Extreme and X3 vs 2nd Mix by unplug / replugging the JAMMA. :) Too bad the DDRX series announcer is the worst wannabe hip hop white guy I've ever heard, I have no idea what Konami was thinking. Also songs are so hard on Expert / Challenge now: PARANOiA (kskst mix): it feels like they are slowly becoming ITG. Still waiting on DDR 2013 release here in the states...

I had to do some adjustments but it feels ok. The video test alignment grid really helped though. I've run NES emulators on it to play Track and Field with the DDR pad and both Windows and the emulator looked really good for 640x480. I'm sure it would look gorgeous in another cabinet. I keep dreaming of Neo Geo... :retrogames:

Caitlin posted:

Pump Fiesta is good but I'd drop Zero in that in a heartbeat. PIU superiority. :colbert:
I think he is planning on getting the new release? Fiesta 2? I don't keep up on PIU as I feel even more awkward but I give it credit for having songs rated with SKULLS

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 27, 2014

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

URL grey tea posted:

You can swap between DDR Extreme and X3 vs 2nd Mix by unplug / replugging the JAMMA. :) Too bad the DDRX series announcer is the worst wannabe hip hop white guy I've ever heard, I have no idea what Konami was thinking. Also songs are so hard on Expert / Challenge now: PARANOiA (kskst mix): it feels like they are slowly becoming ITG. Still waiting on DDR 2013 release here in the states...

We've had Spada and DDR 2013 in Massachusetts for over a week now man catch the f*ck up :frogout:

But I agree the X series announcer is really loving bad. So much that most of his awkwardly spouted catchphrases have become jokes among the staff at said arcade. I heard the X announcer was some guy from some lovely latin indie rock/hip hop fusion band from California, but I can't confirm this.

And yeah I did hear from people also at the same arcade that certain songs on challenge mode straight up just have ITG charts. I guess Konami decided they needed to stay on par with lovely crazy hard ITG tracks :v:

Did you do the 240p test suite with that monitor, by the way?

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Bing the Noize posted:

We've had Spada and DDR 2013 in Massachusetts for over a week now man catch the f*ck up :frogout:
GENTLEMEN, SEND ME YOUR HARD DRIVE(S)

Bing the Noize posted:

Did you do the 240p test suite with that monitor, by the way?
I did not know this existed, will try soon. Assuming you mean this? https://code.google.com/p/240p-test-suite/

As for the DDRX announcer, HOMIE

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Yeah I always used the Dreamcast one.

Also believe me I'm waiting to get my hands on those hard drives too :wiggle:

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Bing the Noize posted:

Also believe me I'm waiting to get my hands on those hard drives too :wiggle:
Not sure what I want more, that or CIB Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom

SORRY BOSS

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is that weller wlc100 still recommended - the second review down on amazon suggests something like the hakko 936 clones (aoyue 937+ or aoyue 936) are better at a similar / cheaper price.
I kinda like Wellers for what it's worth, but I got my WLC-100 for fairly cheap. Be sure to get a conical tip for your iron if you do, because I bought one of these a couple years back and it came with a flat tip. Not good for working with PC boards.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

URL grey tea posted:

Not sure what I want more, that or CIB Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom

SORRY BOSS

GOD DAMMIT PERCY

liquid courage posted:

I kinda like Wellers for what it's worth, but I got my WLC-100 for fairly cheap. Be sure to get a conical tip for your iron if you do, because I bought one of these a couple years back and it came with a flat tip. Not good for working with PC boards.

Hmm, I'd say more toward preference and what type of work. Conical tips are not the best to use when you're dealing with large ground planes on some boards. In most cases a small diameter chisel tip is enough in my opinion.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bing the Noize posted:

Doesn't give a whole lot of info on that page but if it's a monitor for arcade use it's gonna be drat good.

I mean the Toshiba PF D29C051 was a lot of the reason I wanted to get a cabinet. Most of it is just a nice place to put a GIANT loving monitor like that.

Yeah I might give up on gutting old 25" cabs because there's always some image burn or someone somehow managed to scratch the glass on the monitor. Would rather just go brand new.

THANK GOD they still make these by the way.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bing the Noize posted:

I saw that drama on assembler forums but I'm confused... I bought a universal modchip from Sega Style last year and honestly had 0 issues with it. I'm wondering if more is PEBKAC and people abusing the ribbon cables rather than not loving it up.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah I might give up on gutting old 25" cabs because there's always some image burn or someone somehow managed to scratch the glass on the monitor. Would rather just go brand new.

THANK GOD they still make these by the way.
The glass on the monitor that came with had deep deep scratches that I couldn't buff out, so I was glad to see that yes they still make these. Shipping is pretty reasonable too for the weight, $50 i think?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

flyboi posted:

I saw that drama on assembler forums but I'm confused... I bought a universal modchip from Sega Style last year and honestly had 0 issues with it. I'm wondering if more is PEBKAC and people abusing the ribbon cables rather than not loving it up.

The dude takes like 2 weeks to get back to me whenever I have a question but the way I understood it is that you needed a ribbon cable to attach to the CD jack or something like that? But I don't know about this either since all the saturn modchips I've installed in the past worked without any extra ribbon cables. You just plugged the CD drive's ribbon cable into it and plugged the chip in the slot and :shrug:

I mean I'll see for myself if I ever get the drat things from him

edit: I completely forgot to thank forums poster MediumWellDone for trading me the Arcade Card Duo for some other cool stuff

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 27, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, Pikmin 2 went from great to kind of terrible really fast.

The whole treasure gimmick never really matched up to rebuilding the ship, but at least they kept it funny throughout. And the improved gameplay through purples/whites/upgrades/dual captains was really nice. It felt like a proper sequel.

And then all of a sudden I got to the last 4-5 dungeons, and it was traps that would deliberately stunlock/trap your captain so you couldn't control the Pikmin, and then a whole bunch of enemies would appear. Or the appearance of guys who could only be beaten by the purple stunlock, but if you didn't catch them unawares they'd kill half your army in a single hit/couldn't be stunned anymore. Or constant blower enemies next to ledges, who would blow your entire army off. Or the levels with bombs that constantly dropped, even when you were bringing treasure back, forcing you to follow every single group of treasure carriers so you could whistle them away from the bombs before going back to the slow tedious return to the ship.

I could go on for a long, long time, but the proverbial straw that got me to give up was the stupid dumbbell. You need to grind out 100 purple pikmin to get that treasure, and of course the only way to get them is to run a dungeon over and over again specifically to use the flowers on the bottom level. But all the traps/monsters would reset every time, and it'd be a 30 minute run for another 10 purples. I just couldn't justify doing that, especially since the only dungeons I had left were all boss rush based. It felt like people complained about Pikmin 1 being too short, so they padded Pikmin 2 out with tons of pointless treasures/long ship pathing/tons of forced pikmin breeding.

At least I did all the dungeons in the first three zones. On to the next retro game on my backlog, Killer7. :getin:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Sometimes arcade cab talk makes me feel wistful, since years and years ago I saw a Soul Calibur cabinet for $800, and particularly the one from the very arcade I frequented and played on constantly. But I really just wasn't in a good position to buy it.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

edit: why did hakko go with the fisher price motif for their newer soldering irons

Not gonna lie, the yellow and blue scheme and the inability to tell if the thing had any weight to it or was just made of plastic that would tip over and tumble a hot iron point-first into my kidney made me kind of wary about buying it. But drat do people say they're good irons.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
They're really heavy. At least my pre-digital 888 is.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yep, don't be mistaken, there is a hefty transformer inside the candy shell.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I've got a request for the thread: tell me about a bad game you have in your collection and why you still own it. Could it be laziness? A game worth selling? A cart with a lot of sentimental value? And for that matter, do you enjoy it even though it's a bad game?

The one that stands out the most in my own collection is Golgo 13 on the NES. I love it but it's got some serious problems. This is one of the few games I got new before I was old enough to get a job, back when the JC Penney warehouse was selling off a bunch of new copies of it (and Operation Wolf and Platoon) for $11. To date I don't think I've ever made it further than the second maze without a cheat code, but I still pick it up now and again just to play that far at least. :unsmith:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Quiet Feet posted:

I've got a request for the thread: tell me about a bad game you have in your collection and why you still own it. Could it be laziness? A game worth selling? A cart with a lot of sentimental value? And for that matter, do you enjoy it even though it's a bad game?

The one that stands out the most in my own collection is Golgo 13 on the NES. I love it but it's got some serious problems. This is one of the few games I got new before I was old enough to get a job, back when the JC Penney warehouse was selling off a bunch of new copies of it (and Operation Wolf and Platoon) for $11. To date I don't think I've ever made it further than the second maze without a cheat code, but I still pick it up now and again just to play that far at least. :unsmith:

Thoroughbred Breeder for SFC. It has a horse speaking Japanese in it.

What's with all the Japanese horse games anyway? Every second hand store is full of lovely carts of Derby Stallion and Thoroughbred Breeder. They're terrible games with very little visual feedback of what you're doing, everything is just numerical and boring.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Why would you sell a game just because it's bad?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

elf help book posted:

Why would you sell a game just because it's bad?

Not everybody would but I know there are some people even in this thread who don't have the inclination to hang on to games they don't like, or possibly not the space. I rarely sell any of my games, but I can understand why someone would.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

I have bad games in my collection because I'm a collector. I get things and hold onto them. I buy terrible games because I'm interested in them for some reason. For example, I have all the Superman console games. All of those are terrible but I have them because I have them because they're Superman games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Because it's a ROMhack I completed, and ain't no one gonna take that away from me. :colbert:

It's less a game you "play" and more something you use in a dare (e.g. crank up the sweet sweet music, first to turn it off loses)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfbc_MSY1c

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Quiet Feet posted:

It's a really bad game that you can beat in 9 minutes easily. It has sentimental value because a friend and I used to play it a lot. I didn't even own the game; he did. I didn't even know Ultraman was a thing until maybe a decade later.

The music is pretty good (very atmospheric) and the graphics aren't too bad, and I like the way the background gets darker in the mode 7 scenes between each stage:

later on it gets darker and darker until it's completely black which is kinda cool. :3:

It's the only game in my beloved SNES collection that is a crappy one. I usually only try to collect games I love.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

There's a Sony Trinitron KV24FS120 for sale locally for $40. Is this a decent one for use with my SCART-YUV connector? Will it display 240p over component?

I was going to wait til the spring and just scour garage sales, but this seems a decent deal. Thoughts?

It seems cheaper for a great picture than an xrgb mini. And I could mount it in my game room.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

RodShaft posted:

There's a Sony Trinitron KV24FS120 for sale locally for $40. Is this a decent one for use with my SCART-YUV connector? Will it display 240p over component?

Yes to both of these; I have the 27" version and highly recommend it. Goes without saying, but bring your preferred console to test it while picking it up to make sure the tube isn't dying and the geometry is reasonably aligned.

Speaking of RGB-YUV, has anyone tried installing one of these in a SNES or Genesis yet? Its basically the RGB-YUV converter on a tiny board, including trim pots.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Monitor Burn posted:

Yes to both of these; I have the 27" version and highly recommend it. Goes without saying, but bring your preferred console to test it while picking it up to make sure the tube isn't dying and the geometry is reasonably aligned.

Speaking of RGB-YUV, has anyone tried installing one of these in a SNES or Genesis yet? Its basically the RGB-YUV converter on a tiny board, including trim pots.

Holy poo poo. This is great. Why do they make it sound like it's specific to the pc engine chip, though? Maybe the signal needs to be amplified on other systems?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

RZA Encryption posted:

Holy poo poo. This is great. Why do they make it sound like it's specific to the pc engine chip, though? Maybe the signal needs to be amplified on other systems?

The guy who developed it is an NEC hardware modder; he just discovered that the chip also works on other RGB-capable 16-bit systems. He has a youtube video where he gives a few details and shows a SNES and Genesis with component jacks (he only shows video output from a turbo express though).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, that chip is awesome!

If I have one of those in my SNES, along with the SPDIF mod, is it possible it will be too much crap on the 5V line and could cause issues? If so, what issued could I look forward to?

I might get one just because I ran out of SCART ports on my SCART switch.

Protip: if you tap the R,G,B inputs on the SNES encoder instead of the outputs, you will not have that horrible vertical streak in your SNES' image.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
The worst game I have in my collection has got to be Jaws (NES). It's a game my baby sitter had when I was young and would visit my father for the summer. It was easy enough for me to beat and for some reason I'd pick it up when I was at her house and beat it almost every time I was there.

I bought last year, beat it, and may never play it again, but I have memories playing it so I'll keep it.

I generally sell off games that have no interest to me and keep games that I'll eventually go back and play again. I like to collect, but. It just for the sake of collecting.

Worst item in my collection might be the PowerGlove. My friend had one as a kid for a very short time and wouldn't let me play with it. He told me it was horrible, wasn't worth playing with, and he wanted to keep it like new in box so he could sell it to a game shop. I bought a working one, played with it for five minutes and determined he was right. I put it on a wooden hand model and now it's shelf candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Quiet Feet posted:

I collect for a lot of the "bad" consoles, like 3DO and Sega CD, so I have a lot of bad games, heh. The worst ones I have are probably Plumbers Don't Wear Ties and Cyberdillo on 3DO. Let's toss the "adult" Neurodancer and Mind Teazzer games in there too. I'm a collector, so I can't give stuff up but I do like breaking out the trash every once in a while and showing people just how bad things can get if you don't know what you're buying. PDWT is a game everyone can agree on being terrible and the look of horror on people's faces when even that terrible MS Painted title screen pops up is more entertaining to me than the game.

I just get a kick out of the truly atrocious too. I've had a fascination with awful my entire life.

• Locked thread