Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Good one. All of those games combined, including Bayo 2, might break past 150k copies sold on the wii u.
Eh I don't know, I can imagine Bayo 2 might go on to sell some ~200k copies or so on the Wii U. W101 which is much more niche even sold about 100k copies. You're right though that all those other games wouldn't amount to squat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

Eh I don't know, I can imagine Bayo 2 might go on to sell some ~200k copies or so on the Wii U. W101 which is much more niche even sold about 100k copies. You're right though that all those other games wouldn't amount to squat.

Bayonetta 1 sold a million copies across two very popular systems.

Bayonetta 2 is going to be lucky to hit 250k on just the WiiU.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

lol at Nintendo killing online play for Smash Bros Brawl before their next Smash Bros game is even out

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I don't think it even worked in the first place. I could never connect to a game ever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

whaley posted:

I don't think it even worked in the first place. I could never connect to a game ever.

I prefer to think that online mode was only playable to the true Nintendo Faithful because I sure as hell couldn't get that thing to work for the life of me but people claim it worked great.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm still convinced that they just spawned the same characters your friend picked and then just ran the rest of it on AI. It never worked for me.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Shutting down the DS and Wii servers are such a non-issue it's almost hilarious that some people are mad about it. Every console maker does this. Xbox Live for the first Xbox was shut down in 2010, when Xbox was nine years old, Wii is eight years old now. This is standard practice. It's especially silly to get upset over because the servers for Wii and DS games were free. No company is going to fund this online infrastructure forever with literally zero profit.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 27, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Shutting down the DS and Wii servers are such a non-issue it's almost hilarious that some people are mad about it. Every console maker does this. Xbox Live for the first Xbox was shut down in 2010, when Xbox was 9 years old, Wii is eight years old now. This is standard practice. It's especially silly to get upset over because the servers for Wii and DS games were free. No company is going to fund this online infrastructure forever with literally zero profit at this point.

Like mentioned above:

Original Xbox online went down 2 years after they stopped selling the thing.
Nintendo is still selling Wiis, moreso than they are stilling Wii Us.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The WiiU is a niche and Platinum games is an even bigger niche which has a been diagram that barely crosses Nintendo's. Wonderful 101 proved that. I sure as hell have no interest in Bayonetta nor will most WiiU owners, I'd wager.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Spiffo posted:

Like mentioned above:

They're selling these:

Which do not connect to the Internet anyway.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm still convinced that they just spawned the same characters your friend picked and then just ran the rest of it on AI. It never worked for me.

The way they did multiplayer, they might as well have done this. You have no idea who you are facing anyway.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I seriously would not be surprised if some geriatric high up at Nintendo thought that shutting down the online components for the Wii was a solid business plan to get people to finally buy WiiUs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Spiffo posted:

Like mentioned above:

Counterpoint: These Wii and DS games have online player bases in the teens at worst, hundreds or maaaaybe over 1000 at absolute best. The only model Wii sold now doesn't even have online capabilities.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

I seriously would not be surprised if some geriatric high up at Nintendo thought that shutting down the online components for the Wii was a solid business plan to get people to finally buy WiiUs.

Whoever's plan it was to require a WiiU to play Monster Hunter 3 DS online did not successfully sell me a WiiU but did successfully unsell me Monster Hunter 3.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

zenintrude posted:

They're selling these:

Which do not connect to the Internet anyway.

whoa what the gently caress is that thing?

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

^^ Wii Mini, it's terrible.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

This is standard practice. It's especially silly to get upset over because the servers for Wii and DS games were free.
This is a really sad defence.

It sucks when Nintendo does it, it sucks when Sony does it (GT5 :arghfist:), it sucks when Microsoft does it, it sucks when PC publishers do it.

The particularly bad part on this is that Nintendo still sell a lot of DS and Wii software, and games like Pokemon Black/White 2 are less than 18 months old. Cutting online support for a high profile game that recent is pretty terrible and although I'm not, there are a lot of people who are going to be legimately upset about that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spiffo posted:

whoa what the gently caress is that thing?

Its the 100 dollar Wii-Mini which has no ability to connect to the internet and has no gamecube ports. With this bad boy you can enjoy none of the virtual console or back compatibility leaving you only with the Wii's fine library of gaming.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Spiffo posted:

Like mentioned above:

This is REALLY reaching. The Wiis they are selling now can't even connect to the internet. What are they supposed to do, keep free servers running forever?

Also, you could play Xbox games on 360, and they still shut their service down, and that was a paid service. There is absolutely no incentive for Nintendo to keep servers running for Mario Kart DS or Star Fox Command at this point.

The only ones I could see an argument for are Mario Kart Wii and Pokemon White/Black because they are still pretty popular online, but even then you have the argument of how long can you realistically expect a company to continue to run a free service for a handful of fans?

Barudak posted:

Its the 100 dollar Wii-Mini which has no ability to connect to the internet and has no gamecube ports. With this bad boy you can enjoy none of the virtual console or back compatibility leaving you only with the Wii's fine library of gaming.

It'd be a pretty good deal if you were able to use component cables to hook it up to the TV, it's kind of lovely that you can only use the AV ones.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 27, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Zack_Gochuck posted:

This is REALLY reaching. The Wiis they are selling now can't even connect to the internet. What are they supposed to do, keep free servers running forever?

Yeah, I didn't realize that the only Wiis they were selling now were little pieces of poo poo with no features that can't connect at all. That sort of pulls the rug from under my entire argument.

And THIS is outselling the Wii-U?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Barudak posted:

Do they at least include Component Cables or an HDMI Out?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Spiffo posted:

Well it is a third the price.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hubris.height posted:

If you look deep in your heart you'll realize you already know the answer.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Would I be correct in assuming they're still leaving the Wii's Virtual Console store online, and are just pulling the plug on multiplayer? That has to be a different system altogether, there's no way they'd put an axe in the marketplace.

I'm at work so I can't click the Kotaku link.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Spiffo posted:

Children

Spiffo posted:

Would I be correct in assuming they're still leaving the Wii's Virtual Console store online, and are just pulling the plug on multiplayer? That has to be a different system altogether, there's no way they'd put an axe in the marketplace.

I'm at work so I can't click the Kotaku link.

Yeah, the shop is staying up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Also, you could play Xbox games on 360, and they still shut their service down, and that was a paid service.

I think the specific problem here was because it was a unified account system, the OG Xbox's limitations were holding back the 360 (like the 100 friend limit).

hubris.height posted:

It's not even capable of outputting either of these.

Nintendo, in 2013, released a console that can only do composite out.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

univbee posted:

Nintendo :allears:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
They're selling it for $100 as a budget console to people that don't care about online or if the image is getting sent to the TV over composite cables. It's intended as a cheap-rear end skylanders box or to people that just want to play Mario games. Apparently some number of people want that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Spiffo posted:

From Nintendo of Australia's notice:

quote:

The following services are not affected by the termination, and will continue to be available after May 20th:

Internet Channel
Nintendo DS Browser
Nintendo DSi Browser
Nintendo DSi Shop
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Pay & Play
Wii Shop Channel
YouTube
(If you're wondering WTF Pay & Play is, apparently it was Nintendo's name for DS/Wii era pay-DLC. Guitar Hero and such used it. Free DLC, however, is apparently getting discontinued.)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Another week without SMB3 in the Virtual Console. Wow it must be really hard to emulate! Much harder than the European version!!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

univbee posted:

Come on now.... not only is the system SD, but is designed as a budget console where they clearly stripped it of everything they could to get it down to $60. Keeping in mind, it comes with Mario Kart Wii as well which MSRPs for $40, taking the Wii Mini bundle up to a $100 value which is what it sells for. The people buying this model probably don't have HDTVs, and if they do the next cheapest bundle is the Wii Sports Resorts one which sells for $140 or the Mario Kart bundle for $150.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

This means that friend codes are gone right? Or does Animal Crossing New Leaf and Pokemon X/Y still use them?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Heran Bago posted:

This means that friend codes are gone right? Or does Animal Crossing New Leaf and Pokemon X/Y still use them?

3DS has system-level Friend Codes

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Astro7x posted:

Come on now.... not only is the system SD, but is designed as a budget console where they clearly stripped it of everything they could to get it down to $60. Keeping in mind, it comes with Mario Kart Wii as well which MSRPs for $40, taking the Wii Mini bundle up to a $100 value which is what it sells for. The people buying this model probably don't have HDTVs, and if they do the next cheapest bundle is the Wii Sports Resorts one which sells for $140 or the Mario Kart bundle for $150.

Oh yeah, it's totally meant to be hooked up to a 13" TV in your kid's room so the can play Skylanders or Mario Bros with their brother or sister. It's probably indestructible too. The only moving part it the disc drive.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 27, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Barudak posted:

If you look deep in your heart you'll realize you already know the answer.

God dammit Nintendo. It's like you're not even trying. :smith: Its like the Horse-in-Mud.gif is real life.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's also meant for a breaking in point to more third world markets.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

greatn posted:

I think it's also meant for a breaking in point to more third world markets.

Which is why it launched in Canada.

Addendum: Japan and Europe have no longer been having Wii's made for them since October of 2013 so the fact that Canada is where they started with the Wii Mini is extra crazy.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Barudak posted:

Which is why it launched in Canada.

Addendum: Japan and Europe have no longer been having Wii's made for them since October of 2013 so the fact that Canada is where they started with the Wii Mini is extra crazy.

So do they not make Wii Mini's in Japan or Europe anymore either?

I live in Canada, and my sister-in-law bought one for my brother-in-law, who is a huge PC gamer, for Christmas first when they came out here. He made her bring it back.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I know Nintendo has an attitude towards their own IPs, in that they prefer them "light" and "fun" but am I alone in feeling that an older and more mature Zelda might be more in line with its aging player base?

I'm not saying Game of Thrones level of debauchery but even Link to the Past had the Uncle dying in the beginning to spur on the quest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

So do they not make Wii Mini's in Japan or Europe anymore either?

No no, they don't make regular Wiis anymore. In fact, theres no "developing market" launch for the Wii Mini so the lowered price and lack of features doesn't exist for that reason. Hell they tried selling the thing for like 6 months without a pack in game at 100.

And Japan has no Wii Mini according to wikipedia so they get nothing? I don't really follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Blacktoll posted:

I know Nintendo has an attitude towards their own IPs, in that they prefer them "light" and "fun" but am I alone in feeling that an older and more mature Zelda might be more in line with its aging player base?

I'm not saying Game of Thrones level of debauchery but even Link to the Past had the Uncle dying in the beginning to spur on the quest.

Twilight Princess was their attempt at that. It looked more mature on the surface but in actuality it's plotting was like a Saturday morning cartoon, where Wind Waker looked like a cartoon and has one of the more mature plots in the series.

• Locked thread