Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

None of Sandlot's other games ever did. With Japanese devs, sometimes I wonder if they even know what a PC is.

It would be amazing to see this game on a PC just to see it run at double digit FPS when there's more than two ants and an EDF trooper on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Seconding that the writing is really fun. It actually takes a fair bit of skill to write a B-movie and keep it fun without just making it self-referential and jokey all the time.

I also can't believe that some of the reviews panned the voicework. I thought the voicework was really good at doing what it was supposed to do, namely giving each voiced character some personality and verbal character since you were never going to see their faces. Of course the situation was kinda hokey and the voicework was sort of hammy; you're playing a giant bug/alien invasion game!

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
The voice acting in missions is great, as you and others have pointed out.

The voice samples in the menu are annoying as gently caress because you end up hearing the same words repeated over and over as you change your loadout.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Just added my name to the googledocs thing, Eeeviltom on PSN!

I hadn't paid full price for a game since Bioshock Infinite last year, but man oh man am I having fun so far. I'm only five missions in, but playing online with everyone sending stupid messages really adds something to it.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Zero Star posted:

The voice samples in the menu are annoying as gently caress because you end up hearing the same words repeated over and over as you change your loadout.

Sometimes I mute the TV when Im swapping gear between games now. I am so sick of the menu lady telling me the fencer can equip four weapons.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Night10194 posted:

Seconding that the writing is really fun. It actually takes a fair bit of skill to write a B-movie and keep it fun without just making it self-referential and jokey all the time.

I also can't believe that some of the reviews panned the voicework. I thought the voicework was really good at doing what it was supposed to do, namely giving each voiced character some personality and verbal character since you were never going to see their faces. Of course the situation was kinda hokey and the voicework was sort of hammy; you're playing a giant bug/alien invasion game!

A lot of reviewers probably only played the first few levels, which is mostly just a bunch of civilians screaming in terror. It doesn't get good until the stupid scientist guy starts talking about how the evolution of giant insects could never be better than science.

When the Wing Divers first show up, one of them just starts saying the most basic advice to the rest of the Wing Divers like its their first time using a jetpack. Is this just supposed to get you interested in playing the class like the mission where they talk about Air Raider stuff that you could be dropping.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Welp, beat the campaign as a wing diver. Game never stopped getting more intense and I loved it. Time to work on Fencer dash-cancelling.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I love Fencer dash cancelling. The class is so much fun to play. 2000 damage heavy mortars for all the big things and an Ion shield with a jackhammer or blasthole spear for when you need to get around.

Do the non-spear melee weapons ever get better? I think some of the charge mechanics are cool, but they either have such horribly short range or do such piddly damage that I can't justify using them over a rapid punching fist or a 140m spear shot.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
What difficulty mode are most pof you using for your first playthrough? Ive been trying to stick to hard mode whenever possible but I have to switch back to normal for a level or two sometimes because enemies hit really hard.

I guess difficulty is mitigated by any big weapons you find and having a lot of armour helps too, but some enemy types just kick my rear end on hard mode.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Broseph Brostar posted:

A lot of reviewers probably only played the first few levels, which is mostly just a bunch of civilians screaming in terror. It doesn't get good until the stupid scientist guy starts talking about how the evolution of giant insects could never be better than science.

When the Wing Divers first show up, one of them just starts saying the most basic advice to the rest of the Wing Divers like its their first time using a jetpack. Is this just supposed to get you interested in playing the class like the mission where they talk about Air Raider stuff that you could be dropping.

Hey, man. Ohara isn't stupid. He's just The Professor, and he's there to set clear boundaries on what the aliens couldn't possibly do so that five seconds later oh poo poo they did that exact thing and it's awesome and now I have to battle giant web-building spiders with my tank cannon power suit. :colbert:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Brasseye posted:

What difficulty mode are most pof you using for your first playthrough? Ive been trying to stick to hard mode whenever possible but I have to switch back to normal for a level or two sometimes because enemies hit really hard.

I guess difficulty is mitigated by any big weapons you find and having a lot of armour helps too, but some enemy types just kick my rear end on hard mode.

Same as you. Normal for like the first 10-15, went back and did the first few missions on hard/hardest for weapons, then went through the rest of the campaign almost exclusively on Hard. Switched to Easy if a particular mission got too frustrating, such as the first mission with the red flyers :argh:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Crusher posted:

I love Fencer dash cancelling. The class is so much fun to play. 2000 damage heavy mortars for all the big things and an Ion shield with a jackhammer or blasthole spear for when you need to get around.

Do the non-spear melee weapons ever get better? I think some of the charge mechanics are cool, but they either have such horribly short range or do such piddly damage that I can't justify using them over a rapid punching fist or a 140m spear shot.

The non-spear weapons are okay at best; they are more suited to attacking groups than singles though. If you're attacking groups without using mortars or something I guess they'd be useful.

They're great at killing any teammate in the area because of their wide swings; a single fencer dedicated to using a hammer/scythe/sword can render any other close range teammate dead or useless very quickly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Crusher posted:

The Swords are pretty good in my opinion. The ranged blade shots are really powerful and quite long ranged. Hammers are good against ants and spiders but not much else. I still don't use Spears thanks to how good Jackhammers feel, though that may change in higher difficulties.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

rawdog pozfail posted:

Same as you. Normal for like the first 10-15, went back and did the first few missions on hard/hardest for weapons, then went through the rest of the campaign almost exclusively on Hard. Switched to Easy if a particular mission got too frustrating, such as the first mission with the red flyers :argh:

Yeah I think its been quite a good way to play it so far. The missions on hard mode seem to mostly be very challenging but doable if you bring the right type of gear. Then theres some like the one I was playing last night where you get thrown into a close quarters battle with a shitload of red ants and a dropship throwing out dragons. I have no idea what youd need to bring to a mission like that to beat it on inferno.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

My only problem with this game is how slowly you gain armor. It makes it really unappealing to switch between characters when you can spend 30+ hours on one character and barely have enough to play on hardest missions halfway through the game without being one-shotted.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Brasseye posted:

I started on hard, realized I didn't have the armor to survive, realized grinding sucked, and now am just playing through normal.

And speaking of playing, I have the day off today and I'd like to actually play with goons instead of filthy pubbies. Seriously, I've seen some retarded pubbies, like the Air Raider who brought two flechette limpet guns to a Hector fight. Anyways, My GT on 360 is BigDaddyCinco, and I'll be getting on at around 5 p.m. PST. I want to play for a while on normal. I'm still in the teens as far as mission progression goes. Hit me up on live, or post here, or PM me, or send smoke signals or something.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I was a Jackhammer Man but once I got the Blasthole Spear M3 I never looked back. The spear actually has a two hit combo, and the second hit has tremendous range and does 1700 damage. Both pierce, so in pack situations you can get 2 - 4 kills with a single hit. It's all reliant on positioning and situational awareness. I really like that the Fencer is not some big dumb turret, but actually has a bunch of tools and techniques and it's up to you, the player, to make them work. I've stopped pointlessly dash-cancelling everywhere and started using the shield to actually correctly block attacks and the amount of punishment that he can take is pretty amazing. Blocking with the shield causes massive pushback and if you do it right can actually push you away from threats almost as effectively as dashing. Don't get me wrong, I still have a long way to go but it's a really fun, unique experience that I haven't had in any other video game.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I was a Jackhammer Man but once I got the Blasthole Spear M3 I never looked back. The spear actually has a two hit combo, and the second hit has tremendous range and does 1700 damage. Both pierce, so in pack situations you can get 2 - 4 kills with a single hit. It's all reliant on positioning and situational awareness. I really like that the Fencer is not some big dumb turret, but actually has a bunch of tools and techniques and it's up to you, the player, to make them work. I've stopped pointlessly dash-cancelling everywhere and started using the shield to actually correctly block attacks and the amount of punishment that he can take is pretty amazing. Blocking with the shield causes massive pushback and if you do it right can actually push you away from threats almost as effectively as dashing. Don't get me wrong, I still have a long way to go but it's a really fun, unique experience that I haven't had in any other video game.

The twin spear type of spear adds a dash before the stab; you give up a bit of range but it lets you dash around the map quickly compared to other spear types and you don't give up any damage.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Why is mission 5 with the new spiders so hard and will I still get achievements if I only play online?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Kikkoman posted:

Why is mission 5 with the new spiders so hard and will I still get achievements if I only play online?

I don't know about achievements, but online and offline missions are counted separately. You get to keep any weapons you find between the two, but if you complete missions 1 through 5 via multiplayer, you will need to re-unlock those levels in single player. I look at it as a good excuse to play through them again with a new class or different difficulty.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, playing around as the Air Raider, they were so justified in making Vehicles another weapon type instead of just a thing you find in levels. It's so much fun to try out the various variants and the huge variety of vehicle types.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Once I had a taste of the Vulcan Hammer I never looked back. A level 15 one can still one shot ants, spiders and dragons on inferno and makes short work of everything else. I tried to like the vibro rollers but it charges way too slowly for my tastes and the swords feel too weak for me.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Are you guys mostly bouncing around as the different classes or are you sticking with one until the end and then going through as another?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I've been playing online as an air raider and having a blast. Planning on messing around solo. What's good for soloing as far as capabilities go (ie this class is annoying/doesn't work well with other players or this class has survivability issues by itself etc)?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Seiren posted:

Speaking of that final level, I noticed that it's certainly farmable if you're willing to take your time on an already fairly long mission, but I also see that attempts to do so could result in a whole lot of wasted time.

Is the commander of Omega Team supposed to be Storm One from 2017? The hints seem to point that way, but its never explicitly stated. Also, hello Pale Wing, nice to meet you.

No, you're Storm 1. They say it in a mission like right before the final mission that Storm 1 vanished after 2017 but rejoined EDF and is a member of Storm team. That's you.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

mune posted:

Are you guys mostly bouncing around as the different classes or are you sticking with one until the end and then going through as another?

Bouncing around. I like playing with other people so I'll join whatever Normal game and then I'll check medals to use a class I haven't beaten that mission on yet. I've recently been expanding this to Hard now that I have some decent armor and weapons.

I think using something exclusively like Wing Diver for 100 hours would cause problems anytime I tried something else.

Speaking of which, I'm at like 7% completion at 40 hours which is insane.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Knightmare posted:

Speaking of which, I'm at like 7% completion at 40 hours which is insane.

The completion percentage is pretty heavily padded by the difficulties, since completing a higher difficulty doesn't auto-complete the lower ones. Over 80 missions with 5 difficulties between 4 classes means 400+ medals for one class and 1600+ for all of them.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

mune posted:

All Ranger, all the time.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Douche4Sale posted:

I've been playing online as an air raider and having a blast. Planning on messing around solo. What's good for soloing as far as capabilities go (ie this class is annoying/doesn't work well with other players or this class has survivability issues by itself etc)?
Ranger is the most "all-around" class, and with the giant-rear end rocket launchers it can equip, it's a bit easier to play solo (you're not constantly having to revive all the friends you just blew up).

Personally, I'm playing local co-op with my wife's Wing Diver. I started with Air Raider but didn't feel like I was doing enough damage, then switched to Ranger. After farming a few weapons on the early Hard levels, I'm back to Air Raider and liking it a lot more now that I have the rapid-fire limpet guns and vehicles that can actually (eventually) turn.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Belzac posted:

No, you're Storm 1. They say it in a mission like right before the final mission that Storm 1 vanished after 2017 but rejoined EDF and is a member of Storm team. That's you.

The Omega reveal was loving hilarious. "I don't really give a poo poo about the whole 'earth overtaken by giant insects' thing, I came back to fight with you!"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

My only problem with this game is how slowly you gain armor. It makes it really unappealing to switch between characters when you can spend 30+ hours on one character and barely have enough to play on hardest missions halfway through the game without being one-shotted.

Mission 13 with the dropships on easy and 2p as an Air Raider with dual turrets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have no idea how to fly these helicopters. I've figured out all the other vehicles but I just can't control the drat things.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The trick with the Fencer's charging weapons (the swords and hammers and such), is that they're considerably more effective if you're wielding two of them. You get a two-hit combo and everything. It can be hard to aim sometimes, but weapons like the Dynamo Blade are still pretty fun to use sometimes.

I still swear by my Flashing Spear series though. Less damage than a Blasthole, more than a Jackhammer, better mobility than both. It probably does less DPS than either of them, but it feels really cool to dash up to a Hector and basically slam its crotch 10 times with rapid fire impalement.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

I have no idea how to fly these helicopters. I've figured out all the other vehicles but I just can't control the drat things.

LT/L2 is ascend, RT/R2 is primary weapon, Rb/R1 is secondary fire, left and right on the left stick is banking, and left and right on the right stick is for turning.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Neo Helbeast posted:

LT/L2 is ascend, RT/R2 is primary weapon, Rb/R1 is secondary fire, left and right on the left stick is banking, and left and right on the right stick is for turning.

Don't make the same mistake I did though and go crazy trying to shoot guns on the helicopter that needs secondary manned gunners.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

Go to a mission with spider mounds. Have a Wing Diver stand in the middle and shoot upwards with a rapier. Rubber band the R trigger and wait. Check every once in a while to make sure she hasn't been knocked out of the middle. The other three players can duke it out with each other or explore the map.

Alternatively:
Use a high level Rapier Thrust and park a vehicle adjacent to the spider-mound. Now you can farm weapons in higher difficulties. Any class can jump in and partake in the weapon box ball pit.

2nd alternative:
Become an achievement grognard and play through every mission on every difficulty. You're bound to come out of easy/normal with decent armor points.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

general chaos posted:

Go to a mission with spider mounds. Have a Wing Diver stand in the middle and shoot upwards with a rapier. Rubber band the R trigger and wait. Check every once in a while to make sure she hasn't been knocked out of the middle. The other three players can duke it out with each other or explore the map.

Alternatively:
Use a high level Rapier Thrust and park a vehicle adjacent to the spider-mound. Now you can farm weapons in higher difficulties. Any class can jump in and partake in the weapon box ball pit.

2nd alternative:
Become an achievement grognard and play through every mission on every difficulty. You're bound to come out of easy/normal with decent armor points.

This method doesn't work without some attention to the tv or playing offline; characters eventually get pushed out by corpses and poo poo if you aren't using weapons higher than the online weapon limit allows.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, first mission I played today dropped one of those Storm Bow thingies. Been using it ever since. Dance, Hectors, dance! :getin:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hectors, particularly shielded ones, are best handled with shotguns. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Incorrect. Hectors are best dealt with by summoning your own giant robot and declaring it is a robotfight.