Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sql server has always been the best db server for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I love Netbeans because when I type psvm +[tab] it autocompletes to public static void main( String[] args ){}

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

QuantumNinja posted:

Like 50% of all XBox360 games are written in C#/XNA, including those Batman ones.

in the same way that doom3 was written in lua.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

optimize ur queries. add more ram. get prepped for hekaton

make sure shits indexed

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Malcolm XML posted:

i agree but windows actually has/had better support for threading than unix and had the equiv of kqueue/epoll since NT 4.0.

IOCPs are kind of backwards tho but having kernel managed threadpools is great

backwards? you mean because they tell you when the operation completes, and not when a non-blocking synchronous operation will be possible? what's really missing from Windows is a unified "poll" I/O operation: sockets have their own, pipes have their own, console input queues (:barf:) have their own... if you had that, you could submit a "poll" operation and wait for that to complete

I object to "kernel managed threadpools" unless you refer to the fact that IOCPs can be configured with a maximum number of associated threads that can run at the same time

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

hackbunny posted:

backwards? you mean because they tell you when the operation completes, and not when a non-blocking synchronous operation will be possible? what's really missing from Windows is a unified "poll" I/O operation: sockets have their own, pipes have their own, console input queues (:barf:) have their own... if you had that, you could submit a "poll" operation and wait for that to complete

I object to "kernel managed threadpools" unless you refer to the fact that IOCPs can be configured with a maximum number of associated threads that can run at the same time

yeah they are backwards compared to what unix does. i guess they make more sense than what unix ends up doing but it makes porting code a pain (dave cutler was right)

i meant wahtever createthreadpool does

i have c# deal with it for me~

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah they are backwards compared to what unix does

unix has both - AIO pretty much is overlapped I/O - while you need huge amounts of glue (and possibly undocumented IOCTLs) to get an universal asynchronous poll on windows

e: AIO is actually a better implementation of overlapped I/O's than windows'. see: lio_listio

Malcolm XML posted:

i guess they make more sense than what unix ends up doing but it makes porting code a pain (dave cutler was right)

poll/nonblocking is more convenient in many cases. I'd like to have both

e: windows I/O seems like it was optimized for bulk operations on storage devices

Malcolm XML posted:

i meant wahtever createthreadpool does

well those are based (in part) on the thread-pooling capabilities of IOCPs. in part, though, they're a heavy-handed attempt to provide (near-)universal asynchronous poll

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 26, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

hackbunny posted:

unix has both - AIO pretty much is overlapped I/O - while you need huge amounts of glue (and possibly undocumented IOCTLs) to get an universal asynchronous poll on windows

e: AIO is actually a better implementation of overlapped I/O's than windows'. see: lio_listio

poll/nonblocking is more convenient in many cases. I'd like to have both

e: windows I/O seems like it was optimized for bulk operations on storage devices

well those are based (in part) on the thread-pooling capabilities of IOCPs. in part, though, they're a heavy-handed attempt to provide (near-)universal asynchronous poll

yep thats what u get with an api designed in 1992 or w/e

need to just take kqueue or something tbh

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
take kqq/r^2

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
and thus find out the repulse force. of my posting!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:golfclap:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just skipped like 1800 unread posts to say that pinvoking higher performance code from a managing c# application is awesome and fast, thanks microsoft

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
this thread is a 6'6 non passing trans woman except dumb and not cool

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

atom is built on node. lmao

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
node is the sulk's career of frameworks

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
literally cannot believe someone looked at the shitshow that is javascript and said "this is great, now if only my server side code could be as hosed up and lovely as my client side code"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

yep thats what u get with an api designed in 1992 or w/e

need to just take kqueue or something tbh

probably not going to happen, if the windows 7-8 transition is any indication, the NT kernel is pretty much set in stone

e: every time they release a new sdk I run a diff of the headers

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 27, 2014

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

literally cannot believe someone looked at the shitshow that is javascript and said "this is great, now if only my server side code could be as hosed up and lovely as my client side code"

yeah, this

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

can you use ember.js in node apps?

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

power botton posted:

can you use ember.js in node apps?

sure

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

of all possible answers this is somehow the wrongest.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Stringent posted:

of all possible answers this is somehow the wrongest.

I mean i would recommend angular over ember of you're doing like node-webkit or something but you definitely can use ember.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Damiya posted:

I mean i would recommend angular over ember of you're doing like node-webkit or something but you definitely can use ember.

that's not what i meant

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Stringent posted:

that's not what i meant

What would be an appropriate response.

'oh my god how dare you use node for a thing you animal'?

I mean let's be fair the node ecosystem has a ton of really solid tools and it's easy to dive into and it has its place just like ruby or python or whatever. for example bower, grunt, gulp, all awesome tools.

node as a server is whack as gently caress but as a platform for building out client apps rapidly it's actually pretty solid and good to work with

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
tbf tho I like writing javascript

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Damiya posted:

I mean let's be fair the node ecosystem has a ton of really solid tools and it's easy to dive into and it has its place just like ruby or python or whatever. for example bower, grunt, gulp, all awesome tools.

node as a server is whack as gently caress but as a platform for building out client apps rapidly it's actually pretty solid and good to work with

ruby annoys the poo poo out of me (mostly because of the people who hype/evangelize it), but i have to admit there's a lot of good and useful stuff written in ruby these days

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
ChUnKy BaCoN!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

prefect posted:

ruby annoys the poo poo out of me (mostly because of the people who hype/evangelize it), but i have to admit there's a lot of good and useful stuff written in ruby these days

the only people i know who enjoy ruby packaging actually i don't know any

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
looking forward to never having to touch ruby again it's a terrible language

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Damiya posted:

tbf tho I like writing javascript

stockholme syndrome

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

p. easy to see why node.js is well liked, it sort of fills the same niche as doing a bit of perl in cgi in that the amount of baseline effort to get off the ground is close to zero, unpack, perhaps npm down a package you like, start

as long as all you want to do is wire a couple of packages together in a minimal way and perhaps serve some trivial rest api then it is sort of innocuous

also typescript is the best fix for javascript if you have to do javascript

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well that and you can use parts of the same code on both your client and server which i suppose is nice

but otoh you can always compile a real language down to javascript instead

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Mr Dog posted:

well that and you can use parts of the same code on both your client and server which i suppose is nice

I don't understand how demented your architecture must be for this to be desirable.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

web "developers"

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

more like dICK posted:

I don't understand how demented your architecture must be for this to be desirable.

bbbbut then we can do business logic and mvc stuff in the client browser! sure itll make even the most basic website fragile laggy poo poo, but we wont have to send as much over the wire! only it turns out we do. also we have to do all the same business logic on the server too to validate

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

quote this forever

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

tef posted:

looking forward to never having to touch ruby again it's a terrible language

for reasons other than syntactical ambiguity?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ruby-style everything-is-an-object you can mess with is sort of the perfect example of an emerson-type foolish consistency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Damiya posted:

oh gently caress paul graham was right. this is a blub post