Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kjermzs posted:

So I just got my Y510p today, everything looks crisp except for Chrome and IE. What do I have to do to fix this?

Which screen did you get? (I'll assume not the high DPI option)

Chrome can't handle scaling very well so set Windows to 100%

IE on the other hand simply cannot render text properly and I don't think you can do anything about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I'm using a behemoth (minorly upgraded inspiron 1300). It's upgrade time, I'm looking at $700 to spend, with a possible $100 to $200 match. I do a little CSS work, but what I mostly need is a capacity for high load web browsing (running multiple instances of Analytics would be great).

This'll be my primary video screen for the time being, so 1080p is important as well.

I don't do a lot of gaming, but I want to buy something soonish (this week or next). I'd prefer a non-OSX product.

What should I be looking at?

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

dissss posted:

Which screen did you get? (I'll assume not the high DPI option)

Chrome can't handle scaling very well so set Windows to 100%

IE on the other hand simply cannot render text properly and I don't think you can do anything about this.

15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare with integrated camera (1920x1080)

I got this screen. Does that change anything? I'll start doing some more research because this looks terrible.

Edit: it was the scaling set to 125% be default. Thanks, that was dumb.

Kjermzs fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 26, 2014

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
The Barnes & Noble Gold link now has a somewhat limited selection, with only ThinkPad 440/540 models being listed. The T540 in particular seemed crappy based on reviews, which blasted its track pad.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The (bizarre) 2880x1620 IPS screen is the only redeeming feature of the T540 but even then good luck running gently caress all because of such a mediocre dedicated GPU.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So the E545 has the separate mouse buttons, but doesn't have the OneLink dock connector. Does Lenovo have anything with a OneLink port and separate mouse buttons?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Seamonster posted:

The (bizarre) 2880x1620 IPS screen is the only redeeming feature of the T540 but even then good luck running gently caress all because of such a mediocre dedicated GPU.

The touchpad on the new Thinkpads is already not great, and it sounds like putting it in a weird position off center on the T540 just makes things worse. Also, yeah a 730M is barely adequate at 1080p and flat out isn't going to cut it at 2880x1620.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Integrated graphics on Sandy Bridge CPUs is certainly perfectly adequate at 2560x1600, how is the GT 730M inadequate at a slight increase over that?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

shrughes posted:

Integrated graphics on Sandy Bridge CPUs is certainly perfectly adequate at 2560x1600, how is the GT 730M inadequate at a slight increase over that?

Not inadequate for running the OS, but totally inadequate for gaming or anything graphically intensive.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The W series can get up to Quadro K2100 though (for $$$). I guess my point is that even though people have traditionally purchased Thinkpads for durability, performance matters too, especially for a machine that size and one that is considered a premium model. The last generation 15 inch T series also had pretty meh graphics power which was odd considering what a comparatively chunky machine it was/still is.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Just ordered a Y510P using that glorious, glorious link. It's replacing a laptop from 2007 and I'm insanely excited :3:

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

MrTheDevious posted:

Just ordered a Y510P using that glorious, glorious link. It's replacing a laptop from 2007 and I'm insanely excited :3:

Congrats!

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
I've gotten a budget of $2500-$3000 from my company to spend on a new laptop. Primarily it would be used for running Inventor, Maya and Photoshop and to show customers projects on a big HD TV.

Now, as a secondary my boss has told me that I can get one that will entertain me during 'down time': i.e. one that can play something like BF4. Ideally it should be able to last at-least 4 years (due to company write off). I've been looking in shops and people keep suggesting things like the MSI 'extreme gamer laptop' or the ASUS ROG - I'm pretty lost now as they are all huge and I have no idea which one is better.

Can anyone help me out here?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cmdrmonkey posted:

440p thoughts

Did you fiddle with your graphic card settings at all? I have a 440p with the same graphics and I get a much lower graphics score. I know that win8 has a different scale but a 4.6 compared to your score seems a bit extreme.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Nope. Just installed optimus and then the latest nVidia drivers.

It sounds like your discrete graphics aren't kicking in for some reason. A 4.6 is what I might expect from the intel HD graphics. Maybe try re-installing the drivers.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 26, 2014

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Commissar Kip posted:

I've gotten a budget of $2500-$3000 from my company to spend on a new laptop. Primarily it would be used for running Inventor, Maya and Photoshop and to show customers projects on a big HD TV.

Now, as a secondary my boss has told me that I can get one that will entertain me during 'down time': i.e. one that can play something like BF4. Ideally it should be able to last at-least 4 years (due to company write off). I've been looking in shops and people keep suggesting things like the MSI 'extreme gamer laptop' or the ASUS ROG - I'm pretty lost now as they are all huge and I have no idea which one is better.

Can anyone help me out here?

Do not get one of those "extreme gamer" laptops. Depending on the level of portability you need, get a W540/Precision M4800 or Precision M6800, in ascending order of size and power. The W540 and M4800 can be had with Quadro K2100m cards, which are decent midrange+ level power, the M6800 can get a quadro K3100m or at best a Firepro6100, which is about on the level of a dekstop GTX570.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah I can't imagine going to a meeting with a customer and bringing out my REPUBLIC OF GAMERS laptop. I'd die of embarrassment.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/P50/BP55-A5312

Shopping for my first laptop and I found this thing, which appears to have everything I want as long as I can stick an SSD in it. Anybody know if this is a good deal?

In case it isn't what I'm looking for is:

Under $700, between $500 and $600 preferably. This would be total budget, so including an SSD if that sorta thing is after-market. Wiggle room of about 50 bucks though.

Portable, IE not a 17 inch 2 hour battery life brick. 4+ hours in the battery is good, and small enough to carry with me day-to-day.

1600x900 or better resolution, because you guys just spend 2 pages saying why anything less is dogshit.

Enough graphics power to do light gaming, ie Team Fortress 2 and indie titles. From what I can tell any Haswell processor's built-in GPU is good for this.

Either an SSD or the ability to put one in myself.

Enough memory for a 64-bit OS to actually be useful.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Don't buy a Toshiba. Ever. I speak from a lot of experience.

Their notebooks have trashy build quality and their support is horrible.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

mfny posted:

In my quest to find a budget laptop I now have the following on my list:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3ER2WQ2S6K9WI

At my budget this is what I have got to work with unless I go AMD and take a pretty big hit CPU performance wise. Or go Ivy Bridge and be cutting it very fine indeed on the iGPU side of things. Nether of which would give me a huge advantage in terms of better options in terms of screen/build quality at my budget anyway.

Anyone able to help narrow this shortlist down further or offer similar options I may have overlooked ?

Am I not getting any replys to my posts asking for some input becuse no one would recomend anything even remotely like what I have been mentioning in this thead so far ? is it the screen resolution ?. I cant realy do anything about that at the budget I have.. if i bumped it up a little past my upper budget of £500 i would still be in 1366 land. Also unfortunatly I cant do used/refurb for reasons of warrenty/returns.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

If you wanted to get a crazy gaming/desktop replacement laptop that doesn't have disco lights and red embossing and stuff you could get a Sager, customized they hit $3K easily enough.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Don't buy a Toshiba. Ever. I speak from a lot of experience.

Their notebooks have trashy build quality and their support is horrible.
Everything but the shittiest Toshibas used to be far better than most Dell/HP laptops, has something changed in the past few years?

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Read through the OP but I'm not entirely sure which recommendations there fit into my needs. Basically, I am looking for a laptop that lets me write, browse the internet without being sluggish (my writing involves a lot of research, which tends to me a lot of .pdf files open at once, lots of tabs, etc.), do random poo poo like watch Netflix, and that's about it. Not looking for any gaming capabilities at all, and I don't need anything fancy, just a sturdy workhorse laptop I can toss in a backpack and get work done with. My budget is reasonably flexible, but I'd like to spend as little as possible without sacrificing reliability.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

My dad keeps breaking his laptops, probably because he's a conductor on freight trains and he carries his laptop in a backpack, and it's not so easy to be gentle with his stuff.

BTW it's the screens that keep getting the poo poo end of the stick.

Netbook or an old T420/T430 + $60 pelican hard case laptop sleeve

Thinkpad screens are about $100 a pop and you can swap them out with a single Philips head screwdriver (I've done it myself). You should be able to buy a used T410 for under $400 or a mostly new T430 for $550

greenchair
Jan 30, 2008
How do you judge how good a processor is? My four year old laptop has an intel i3 and claims 2.13GHz, while some laptops I see advertized with the newer version of the i3 say they only have 1.8GHz, and others with newer i5 chips have 1.6 GHz. Is a GHz not a GHz? How else are you supposed to compare processors? Are the newer ones weaker but much cooler and more fuel efficient while my old chip is a hot runin' power hungry speed demon?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Passmark has a pretty good set of benchmarking charts that will give you a rough idea of how CPUs compare:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Look at CPU benchmark scores.

A GHz is a GHz between Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge models, and a GHz is only slightly better in Haswell models. A GHz in the first generation Core i3 processors is not as good.

CPUs also have built in GPUs which makes them different -- Haswell > Ivy > Sandy > ... A low voltage CPU will consume less power when running, and a Haswell CPU will consume much less power when idling. The low voltage i3's and i5's will have a "U" in the name. Note that the i5's whose "base" frequency is 1.6 GHz can actually turbo boost up to something greater (probably something around 2.6 GHz) but less when running all two cores and less when the notebook can't cool it sufficiently well to keep it up. It depends on the notebook but the max turbo frequency, minus 100-200 MHz, is often the more accurate number to look at.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

My little sister managed to break her laptop and asked me for advice. I really don't use laptops pretty much at all so I'm kinda lost as to where to even begin.
I'm guessing she'll mostly use it to browse Tumblr and watch tv shows so she doesn't really need a powerhouse.

I'm not really sure what sort of budget she's on but I assume it's something on the low side.
Anything particular that I could tell her to buy? (she can't really wait a few months since her old one is busted up)

Thanks for any suggestions.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sounds like she might enjoy a tablet

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Vegastar posted:

The lenovo support forums were talking about people dropping this one in to their Yoga 2 Pro with no whitelist/driver trouble. I ordered one yesterday, should be here friday to install and try out. It depends on the form factor of your specific card, though.

I'm seriously hoping this will finally fix the dropping wifi clusterfuck I have on my wireless-N network at the moment. No amount of driver updates, software changes, connection disabling or router configuration can make this stop short of disabling HT Mode (essentially disabling wireless-N connections entirely) and dropping back to 56mbps G speeds, which really sucks.

So, just to follow up here, my dual band card came in today. The install is piss easy if you've got two hands and know how a screwdriver works. Just pop the back place off with a torx 5 bit, unscrew the single phillips that holds the wifi card in place, swap, and reassemble. Nothing to it.

Secondly, I've got the drivers updated and no issues with the Lenovo whitelist, the card is recognized and connected with no issues. I didn't actually even have to update the driver, but I did anyway.

Here are before and after speedtests on a connection that's paid for as 18 down, 2 up.

Before:

After:

So we've got a significant improvement there.

It's been about 45 minutes of tinkering around on my wireless N network with no dropped connection, so that's a huge improvement.

Essentially, if you've got any gripes about the Y2P wireless situation, just spend the 30 bucks and drop this thing in there. I'd imagine any other lenovo with the gimped as hell single band 7240 can get past the whitelist with this card, but I can only really test it on what I've got.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 27, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hadlock posted:

Netbook or an old T420/T430 + $60 pelican hard case laptop sleeve

Thinkpad screens are about $100 a pop and you can swap them out with a single Philips head screwdriver (I've done it myself). You should be able to buy a used T410 for under $400 or a mostly new T430 for $550

Thinkpads are the best laptops to repair, maybe the new models are different, but it's always been a plus. However, for your dad if he expects to break the screen more than once, I'd man up and buy the super warranty. If there's a shop nearby you, it's painless to just pull the HD and drop it off, and they fix it for free. I fixed my X61 a ton of times when I was working in the city and it was getting brutalized.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So... any word on Maxwell chips in laptops? The 750 Ti represents a huge jump in power efficiency that could make gaming on a reasonable a sensible proposition. This and a refreshed Haswell or Broadwell just might make me look at a new laptop again, at least if Lenovo can unfuck their Thinkpads by then.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

So... any word on Maxwell chips in laptops? The 750 Ti represents a huge jump in power efficiency that could make gaming on a reasonable a sensible proposition. This and a refreshed Haswell or Broadwell just might make me look at a new laptop again, at least if Lenovo can unfuck their Thinkpads by then.

Tick for tack the current mobile GPUs are about the same.

GTX 760M - 10.5 GigaPixels/s 42.1 GigaTextures/s 55w TDP
GTX 750 - 16.3 GigaPixel/s 32.6 Gigatextures/s 55w TDP

GTX 765M - 13.6 GigaPixel/s 54.4 GigaTextures/s 65w TDP
GTX 750 TI - 16.3 GigaPixel/s 40.8 GigaTextures/s 60w TDP

Nvidia most of it's performance from it's GigaTexture performance. AMD likes to throw in GigaPixel/s performance as well as GigaTexture/s, but their GT/s is not near as high as Nvidia's with the current GPUs.

GTX 780 - 41.4 GP/s 160.5 GT/s
GTX 780 Ti - 42 GP/s 210.2 GT/s
R290X - 64 GP/s 176 GT/s

Just looking at pure theoretical fillrates, the R290x beats the GTX 780. Nvidia released the GTX 780 Ti in retaliation, but did nothing with the GP/s performance. All they did was increase GT/s performance by 30.9% and GP/s performance by a measly 1.4%.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Everything about the Y510p seems better than the T440p and it's cheaper. I'm missing something here.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KingKapalone posted:

Everything about the Y510p seems better than the T440p and it's cheaper. I'm missing something here.

The Y510p is not a ThinkPad

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Yeah pretty much.

SlayVus posted:

Tick for tack the current mobile GPUs are about the same.

GTX 760M - 10.5 GigaPixels/s 42.1 GigaTextures/s 55w TDP
GTX 750 - 16.3 GigaPixel/s 32.6 Gigatextures/s 55w TDP

GTX 765M - 13.6 GigaPixel/s 54.4 GigaTextures/s 65w TDP
GTX 750 TI - 16.3 GigaPixel/s 40.8 GigaTextures/s 60w TDP

Nvidia most of it's performance from it's GigaTexture performance. AMD likes to throw in GigaPixel/s performance as well as GigaTexture/s, but their GT/s is not near as high as Nvidia's with the current GPUs.

GTX 780 - 41.4 GP/s 160.5 GT/s
GTX 780 Ti - 42 GP/s 210.2 GT/s
R290X - 64 GP/s 176 GT/s

Just looking at pure theoretical fillrates, the R290x beats the GTX 780. Nvidia released the GTX 780 Ti in retaliation, but did nothing with the GP/s performance. All they did was increase GT/s performance by 30.9% and GP/s performance by a measly 1.4%.

Well I was looking at the desktop parts so far - performance-wise the GTX 750 Ti is roughly between R7 260X and 265, but uses 40 fewer watts to deliver that, and compares roughly similarly to other Nvidia cards. Presumably, they'd be able to squeeze it a bit more efficiency through binning and other black magic out of them for the mobile versions.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Build quality.

The Thinkpads are built to withstand a nuclear blast. The Ideapads are just plastic consumer laptops that fall apart. It's the same reason Macbooks are so expensive even though they frequently have middling specs.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 27, 2014

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

KingKapalone posted:

Thinkpad support is lightyears beyond ideapads. Also durability.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Wapole Languray posted:

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/P50/BP55-A5312

Shopping for my first laptop and I found this thing, which appears to have everything I want as long as I can stick an SSD in it. Anybody know if this is a good deal?

In case it isn't what I'm looking for is:

Under $700, between $500 and $600 preferably. This would be total budget, so including an SSD if that sorta thing is after-market. Wiggle room of about 50 bucks though.

Portable, IE not a 17 inch 2 hour battery life brick. 4+ hours in the battery is good, and small enough to carry with me day-to-day.

1600x900 or better resolution, because you guys just spend 2 pages saying why anything less is dogshit.

Enough graphics power to do light gaming, ie Team Fortress 2 and indie titles. From what I can tell any Haswell processor's built-in GPU is good for this.

Either an SSD or the ability to put one in myself.

Enough memory for a 64-bit OS to actually be useful.

Okay, I have to decide whether or not to get this soon, and I just plain haven't found anything approaching as good a deal is this, so I'm asking one last time: Is this a good deal, or a trap? Can I put an SSD in this aftermarket or would I be stuck with the crap 5400 rpm HDD? Is there a better alternative I should be looking at instead of this for my requirements?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The first hit when I googled it was a two minute video tutorial on how to replace the hard drive. So yes I assume you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm wading into the laptop landscape for the first time since 2009, and I'm just now coming to realize that I've been under the misapprehension that ultrabooks were even capable of playing recent games.

I'm graduating from an Asus UL80vT that had a dedicated GeForce 210M that seemed to be broken for most of its life, and now I'm realizing that upgrading to a Samsung Ativ Book 9 (the 4 gb i5 version) isn't going to be drastically improving my situation.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-ATIV-Book-9-Plus-940X3G-Ultrabook.103299.0.html

Almost everything about the laptop looks wonderful, and I absolutely fell in love with the spec and the form factor when I saw it in person. I kind of hand-waved it away when they said in the review above, "The potential buyer should give up any dreams of playing games in the maximum resolution. Even high-end accelerators, such as the GeForce GTX 770M, would fail with current titles. However, the HD Graphics 4400 easily renders low to medium settings and 1024x768, and sometimes even 1366x768 pixels, usually with over 40 fps."

I almost didn't even catch how absurd that sounded because it seems impossible. In The Verge's review, they state, "Gaming, as with most ultrabooks, is a non-starter — things look okay at low resolutions and low settings, but even then it’s not a great experience. Crank Batman: Arkham Origins up to the Book 9 Plus’ native 3200 x 1800 resolution, and it’s like thumbing through a flip book. Slowly.".

So I looked at the benchmarks for the Intel 4400 and my jaw almost hit the floor.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400.91979.0.html

Is this graphics card good for anything? Admittedly I haven't been paying any attention to the spec race in the last 5 years, but I assumed a $1400 laptop from 2013/2014 would at least be able to play games from 2010. Crysis came out (gasp) 7 years ago, and this computer can apparently hardly tolerate it. I was aware that having an onboard GPU was going to put a noticeable damper on things, but I didn't realize it would essentially make the computer 5 years old in the gaming universe, right out of the box.

For $1400, what am I paying for other than a gorgeous touchscreen and a very sleek chassis/strong build quality? I'm completely crestfallen that I somehow can't even play SimCity or Civ5 on this thing, considering every other aspect of it (save for the absence of optical drive) is essentially the perfect machine. I was on the cusp of opening my wallet for this thing, and now I'm not even sure if I want an ultrabook at all.

Am I crazy to expect that I should be able to play SimCity on a $1400 laptop?