Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

baquerd posted:

OK, let's say your $6k loan is for 12 months at 2%. That's payments of $505 a month. Your "peanuts" of $65 a month is equivalent to the actual interest rate being 26%. Now, you do get insurance for that, but...

Seems like you'd be trading a $65 a month boon for the risk of being out a car AND being on the hook for the loan. Not a good financial trade-off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spwrozek posted:

The insurance difference is maybe $30 a month, you have to have insurance you know. You would really take a 20% loan rates instead to 'save' $30 a month on insurance?

Ah, I thought you meant the added cost was $65. But no, I wouldn't buy a car on a loan because either the required insurance makes the actual rate you're paying much higher, or you could be stuck sitting there with a loan and no car. Cash only, used only for me.

April
Jul 3, 2006

RE: new car chat.

I am planning to buy my first-ever brand new car in spring of 2016. My husband and I have a deal. Because I am the one who handles the money in our house, if I can manage to get us 100% out of debt (including the 30-year mortgage) in a time frame that will save us a large chunk of money, he does not mind if I get a brand new car.

I have run the numbers a thousand times, and it looks like everything, including the mortgage, will be paid off in December of 2015. For reference, when we bought the house in December of 2006, our total debt load was $176,532, and we had $25 in savings. (Notice how close to 2008 it was? yeah.) Now, our total debt is $77,113, and we have almost $60,000 in various savings and investment accounts.

If we stay on track, we are going to save over $150,000 on the mortgage alone.

Right now, I am driving a 2006 Envoy that we bought with cash last August that has about 120k miles on it. I plan to give it to my daughter when/if I get a new one. I am looking at a small Nissan SUV, which I'll then drive till it dies. I should add - my husband is a BIG-TIME car guy who can fix just about anything, and has limped our used vehicles along for years past their expiration date. He is currently driving a 2005 Silverado with 220k miles on it, both of our cars run great. However, it does seem like we make a lot of repairs.

So... if I plan to buy a brand-new vehicle (with cash or a <2% loan - our credit score is in the 800-ish range, and we will most likely pay it of within a year), and to keep it and lovingly maintain it for probably a decade or so, am I bad with money? My reasons aren't entirely the shiny paint or new car smell, but rather, a nice warranty, knowing how it's been driven and maintained, and to have a vehicle that I CAN keep for more than 5 years.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
^^^ Aren't there ways you can get a manufacturer's warranty on a used car if it is new enough? If that's true I still think you'd be strictly better off getting a one year old car. I don't think I'd personally celebrate getting out of debt by taking on a bunch more, but congrats on potentially getting your mortgage off your back!

SPY earned more than 26% last year for the record. Obviously that can't be relied on but you'd have been strictly better off taking a 26% effect APR loan and investing the difference in upfront cost if you bought a car in 2012.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

April posted:

I am planning to buy my first-ever brand new car in spring of 2016. My husband and I have a deal. Because I am the one who handles the money in our house, if I can manage to get us 100% out of debt (including the 30-year mortgage) in a time frame that will save us a large chunk of money, he does not mind if I get a brand new car.

I have run the numbers a thousand times, and it looks like everything, including the mortgage, will be paid off in December of 2015. For reference, when we bought the house in December of 2006, our total debt load was $176,532, and we had $25 in savings. (Notice how close to 2008 it was? yeah.) Now, our total debt is $77,113, and we have almost $60,000 in various savings and investment accounts.

Right now, I am driving a 2006 Envoy that we bought with cash last August that has about 120k miles on it. I plan to give it to my daughter when/if I get a new one. I am looking at a small Nissan SUV, which I'll then drive till it dies. I should add - my husband is a BIG-TIME car guy who can fix just about anything, and has limped our used vehicles along for years past their expiration date. He is currently driving a 2005 Silverado with 220k miles on it, both of our cars run great. However, it does seem like we make a lot of repairs.

So... if I plan to buy a brand-new vehicle (with cash or a <2% loan - our credit score is in the 800-ish range, and we will most likely pay it of within a year), and to keep it and lovingly maintain it for probably a decade or so, am I bad with money? My reasons aren't entirely the shiny paint or new car smell, but rather, a nice warranty, knowing how it's been driven and maintained, and to have a vehicle that I CAN keep for more than 5 years.
Look, the optimal path for basically any financial decision is, "If need -> go as cheap as possible, If want -> avoid". But all work and no play makes Jane a dull girl, nobody avoids splurging on everything. If you have plenty of savings and a paid-off house (that's huge!) then dumping money on a luxury, even a big one, makes you far from bad with money. I mean, if you're aiming for early retirement or some other aggressive financial goal, then you should probably avoid it, but otherwise that sounds fine.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Cicero posted:

Look, the optimal path for basically any financial decision is, "If need -> go as cheap as possible, If want -> avoid". But all work and no play makes Jane a dull girl, nobody avoids splurging on everything. If you have plenty of savings and a paid-off house (that's huge!) then dumping money on a luxury, even a big one, makes you far from bad with money. I mean, if you're aiming for early retirement or some other aggressive financial goal, then you should probably avoid it, but otherwise that sounds fine.

Well, we are aiming to retire before 65 as well, but we make decent money, so we should be able to do both. Plus, I'm looking at it as one big purchase to cover 10 years or so, instead of buying another heavily-used vehicle every couple of years, and paying for repairs right off the bat.

But I think that paying off a 30-year mortgage in 9 years is something worth celebrating in a big way as well ;)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cicero posted:

Yeah, being good without money is all about getting the most utility (:spergin:) for your dollar. We can give advice on how to, for a given thing you want, make it cost less dollars, but we can't decide what you get utility from. That last step is always going to involve personal reasoning. To me cars are a necessary evil when you live in certain places, and there's little utility that I gain outside the practical benefits offered. For you it sounds like a new car is something you'd treasure, you are more than welcome to factor that into your calculation. Some people really like cars and driving and having a nice car, I'm not one of them, so the only advice I can give is from my own perspective. I try to give that while respecting that other people have different values and they need to adjust for them accordingly.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

April posted:

If you can fit it into your budget while still meeting your already healthy financial goals, it's not the worst idea ever.

Getting a bit AI, but I would look elsewhere other than Nissan. They're cars are ok, but they are generally considered the "Chrysler of Japan", which is not a compliment. I assume you were talking about a rogue maybe? I rode in one a while ago and really didn't like the CVT transmission, it seemed to do weird things at weird times. I was pretty unimpressed.

When buying new, Honda CRVs almost make sense since they hold their value so well. If you didn't want to spend that much, the Mazda CX-5 is highly regarded as the best all-arounder, offers a fun ride and good MPG. Don't pigeonhole yourself into a Nissan, if you're dropping the bucks I'd rather pay a little more to have it hold it's value better. On the other hand Mazdas also don't hold their value terribly well, but a CRV or Subaru would.

April
Jul 3, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

If you can fit it into your budget while still meeting your already healthy financial goals, it's not the worst idea ever.

Getting a bit AI, but I would look elsewhere other than Nissan. They're cars are ok, but they are generally considered the "Chrysler of Japan", which is not a compliment. I assume you were talking about a rogue maybe? I rode in one a while ago and really didn't like the CVT transmission, it seemed to do weird things at weird times. I was pretty unimpressed.

When buying new, Honda CRVs almost make sense since they hold their value so well. If you didn't want to spend that much, the Mazda CX-5 is highly regarded as the best all-arounder, offers a fun ride and good MPG. Don't pigeonhole yourself into a Nissan, if you're dropping the bucks I'd rather pay a little more to have it hold it's value better. On the other hand Mazdas also don't hold their value terribly well, but a CRV or Subaru would.

Haha, close, I've actually been drooling over the Juke (SV model). It looks like they are changing the design next year though, and I don't like it as much, so still shopping around. Thanks for the info!!

April
Jul 3, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

^^^ Aren't there ways you can get a manufacturer's warranty on a used car if it is new enough? If that's true I still think you'd be strictly better off getting a one year old car. I don't think I'd personally celebrate getting out of debt by taking on a bunch more, but congrats on potentially getting your mortgage off your back!

SPY earned more than 26% last year for the record. Obviously that can't be relied on but you'd have been strictly better off taking a 26% effect APR loan and investing the difference in upfront cost if you bought a car in 2012.

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. We've kicked it around, and our general thought is that you never can REALLY know how a used car was treated, and just once, it would be nice to not have to deal with whatever the previous owner did to it. And like I said, we might pay cash for it, or get a loan as close to 0% as possible for whatever we don't pay up front, and pay it off as fast as we can. And my intention is to keep whatever we get until it falls apart around me, not to get into the "I need a new car every X years" mindset. If I keep the husband around, we can conceivably get 200k+ miles out of it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Business, Finance, and Careers › Tell us stories about people bad with money loving carchat

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Cicero posted:

Yeah, that's the problem with so many dispensers of financial advice. They speak as though the only sensible financial plan is to live a minimalist lifestyle and stick every possible penny into one's retirement fund, as if they've never heard the expression "you can't take it with you".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, that's the problem with so many dispensers of financial advice. They speak as though the only sensible financial plan is to live a minimalist lifestyle and stick every possible penny into one's retirement fund, as if they've never heard the expression "you can't take it with you".

Well if you live a minimalist lifestyle and are fortunate enough in your career, then that retirement can come at 35 instead of 65.

Then you can focus on raising kids, or doing work you actually care about regardless of the money, or whatever sort of life goals outside your career you want. It's not taking it with you but its taking back your 40-60 hours a week for thirty years.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Coworker stories. The older guys that work with me are obsessed with backup generators. How big is your generator? Can it fit in a truck bed? How much juice does it put out? Which new one are you going to buy this season? (!??!) How often do you test it? How many tv's can it run at once? Can I come see yours sometime after work? (Why don't all of you just read a drat book when the power goes out?)

The worst part is that this was happening before Hurricane Sandy, so their one week of generator use has absolutely validated the obsession. It has snowed a ton this year and before the first flake falls on a given day, it's generatorchat for an hour. I do not understand.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Bad financial car decisions: this whole island of Singapore. It costs $100k for any lovely car, and we have some of the best (and cheapest!) public transport in the world. Parking sucks, traffic sucks, and there isn't anywhere you can open up and go fast. There are literally taxis everywhere if you don't want to use the clean and on-time MRT or busses. I love to drive, I love cars, but owning one here is the dumbest unnecessary financial decision. Yet I think we have more supercars per capita than anywhere in the world.

My heart breaks for those multimillion dollar superbabies. They want to go so fast and be so fun, but here cannot. Maseratis and Ferraris that have never gone over 50mph. Tragic.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 28, 2014

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Switchback posted:

Bad financial car decisions: this whole island of Singapore. It costs $100k for any lovely car, and we have some of the best (and cheapest!) public transport in the world. Parking sucks, traffic sucks, and there isn't anywhere you can open up and go fast. There are literally taxis everywhere if you don't want to use the clean and on-time MRT or busses. I love to drive, I love cars, but owning one here is the dumbest unnecessary financial decision. Yet I think we have more supercars per capita than anywhere in the world.

My heart breaks for those multimillion dollar superbabies. They want to go so fast and be so fun, but here cannot. Maseratis and Ferraris that have never gone over 50mph. Tragic.

Nah, they'll just drive over to Malaysia and speed there. It's pretty common.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Switchback posted:

From what I remember seeing in Hong Kong, all cars were either a taxi or a 80k+ car (in the US. no idea what it cost there). I'm sure the people driving cars made more than enough to not car about the cost.
I have also never seen so many Lamborghinis and Ferraris.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Jeffrey posted:

Well if you live a minimalist lifestyle and are fortunate enough in your career, then that retirement can come at 35 instead of 65.

Then you can focus on raising kids, or doing work you actually care about regardless of the money, or whatever sort of life goals outside your career you want. It's not taking it with you but its taking back your 40-60 hours a week for thirty years.

Or you get cancer and die at 23 or 52. gently caress

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The most financially savvy practice is to disconnect your emotions from material things. Figure out what makes you happy (actually happy, not briefly satisfied with your hedonism), design your life around that thing, and take advantage of wealth to achieve freedom to pursue the things that bring you happiness.

"You can't take it with you" is usually used to justify a life on the hedonic treadmill. It presents people who care about their net worth as some Scrooge McDuck caricature enjoying a swimming pool of gold coins for no reason other than the experience of having wealth.

That's not what we tend to talk about here. The BFC hive mind would absolutely agree with "you can't take it with you" in the sense that you could die at any moment so you ought to free yourself from obligations so that you can focus on living meaningfully.

You can't take your net worth with you, but you can't take your ipad or new Nissan or nice tv with you either. When you die, you have to imagine that you could look back on the days and moments of your life and regard them with pride and contentment rather than regret at not buying that next nice thing or lovely resort vacation. Healthy finances and aggressive goals allow you to hop off the hedonic treadmill and take that meaning into your own hands.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

tuyop posted:

The most financially savvy practice is to disconnect your emotions from material things.

Louis CK said it best on the current state of our materialistic ways:

"You never feel completely sad or completely happy. You just feel kinda satisfied with your products......and then you die."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HbYScltf1c&t=275s

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Maybe the reason AMERICA is bad with money is because car companies release commercials like this telling you to keep working hard to buy their products.

PS this car's MSRP is $75,000...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJSI48gkFc

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Strong Sauce posted:

Maybe the reason AMERICA is bad with money is because car companies release commercials like this telling you to keep working hard to buy their products.

I hate every single cadillac commercial going right now, they're all so, so awful.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Strong Sauce posted:

This is so awesome. I'm going to spam the poo poo out of this to basically everyone. It's the best fuel for the overworked, miserable 20-something professional on the cusp of loathing consumerism and the monsters that it makes.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

silvergoose posted:

I hate every single cadillac commercial going right now, they're all so, so awful.

GM belongs in this thread though. They're the worst with money.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Strong Sauce posted:

Where do I have to move to get the month of August off?

Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

What I love most about this commercial is that actor played a sociopathic businessman on the third season of Justified who beat teenaged prostitutes to death to take the edge off when the job got stressful.

Maybe he should have taken August off.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Dragyn posted:

France generally has 5 weeks mandated vacation, though the Frenchies I know don't take it off in August. And the funny part is their workers tend to be more productive than US workers.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Eurozone countries have like mandated 20 days off or something. I remember I got as much when I worked in Europe.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

pathetic little tramp posted:

And the funny part is their workers tend to be more productive than US workers.

I'd love to see you back this statement up with something, anything. My understanding is that unless you work in the public sector in France your pretty much on the dole.

***My source: Friends who are French.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Dragyn posted:

Sweden has a minimum of 5 weeks of vacation, and if you wish you have a legal right to take four continuous weeks of vacation during June-August.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

kissekatt posted:

Sweden has a minimum of 5 weeks of vacation, and if you wish you have a legal right to take four continuous weeks of vacation during June-August.

:stare: God drat I want to move to Sweden now.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
I live in the uk and I took all December off. How many holidays do you get in the land of the free?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Laterbase posted:

I live in the uk and I took all December off. How many holidays do you get in the land of the free?

10 if you are lucky. I get any day the stock exchange is closed.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Laterbase posted:

10 holidays plus 15 vacation days here. I can carry some of those over, so I could in theory take a month-long vacation, but generally only people traveling home to India or the Philippines do that.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a holiday and a vacation day?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Laterbase posted:

Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a holiday and a vacation day?

Holidays are set in stone (e.g. Christmas) whereas vacation days are taken at your discretion.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Laterbase posted:

There are "official" nationally recognized holidays that some people get off (i.e. President's day, Labor day, etc.) and then vacations days that are usually part of compensation given by the employer.

In my case, I get 23 days a year of what they call PTO, basically time I can take for any reason, and I also get 10 holidays a year.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Holiday: a day everyone gets off, like Christmas. Usually federal holidays, can include some lesser holidays if you work for a bank or the court.

Vacation: days you get to take off whenever.

For instance, I get 4 vacation days a year. I can put those with Christmas Eve and Christmas and get a whole week off. Any other days I take off are unpaid.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
[US] I get 13 holidays and 15 vacation days, and an indefinite number of sick days.

This is turning into that thread about how much vacation you get, except people are actually posting the useful information (how much they get per year) instead of how many they have banked at this particular moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

fruition posted:

I'd love to see you back this statement up with something, anything. My understanding is that unless you work in the public sector in France your pretty much on the dole.

***My source: Friends who are French.

It depends what source you use. Looking at GDP per hours worked, France is not as productive as the US (67.32 vs. 59.24) but France is more productive than Germany, the UK, Japan, and South Korea (all countries that are generally thought of as hard working).

If you use "real GDP" instead of Nominal GDP, then France is more productive than the US (53.99 vs. 49.52), but not as productive as Greece, another country known for being lazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_hour_worked

• Locked thread