Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I remember trying Twilight Princess waaaay back in the day at a friends and the controls were so obnoxious that I never even got a feel for the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Blacktoll posted:

I remember trying Twilight Princess waaaay back in the day at a friends and the controls were so obnoxious that I never even got a feel for the story.

You just made me feel so old.

The Gamecube version is a lot better if you can get your hands on it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

2006: Back in the Day

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I still remember the awe and disappointment of the lovely crackling sword sound effect coming out of the remote.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

2006: Back in the Day

That was 8 years ago. For comparison, that's how long it was between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

If you got Twilight Princess when you were 13 you'd be old enough to buy a beer by now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

The Gamecube version is a lot better if you can get your hands on it.

Yeah the Gamecube version was just straight up superior. It still wasn't a good game but at least it was more fun to play.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Good one. All of those games combined, including Bayo 2, might break past 150k copies sold on the wii u.
I don't understand what they have to lose? Why not just do it anyway? And wouldn't being able to play the original game on the same console your playing its sequel do nothing but help the game?

Sell Wii Us bundled with Bayo1 and Bayo2.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Ausmund posted:

I don't understand what they have to lose? Why not just do it anyway? And wouldn't being able to play the original game on the same console your playing its sequel do nothing but help the game?

Well, they have the money it would cost to port the game to lose.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ausmund posted:

If ports were free then sure they have nothing to lose.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Bayo1 should be ported.

To the PC :getin:

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That was 8 years ago. For comparison, that's how long it was between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

If you got Twilight Princess when you were 13 you'd be old enough to buy a beer by now.

Please don't say things that make me feel old. Thank you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ausmund posted:

You also mentioned Anarchy Reigns before, that one would be a terrible idea for them simply due to the way the online is structured, something like Anarchy is beyond niche and they hosed it all up having ranked and player matches, this split up the tiny rear end community even further.

It wouldn't find a new life in the Wii U at all.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There should be a law banning the phrase "back in the day," punishable by having to play a Virtual Boy from back in the day.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Toady posted:

There should be a law banning the phrase "back in the day," punishable by having to play a Virtual Boy from back in the day.

I play my Virtual Boy from back in the day all the time... feels good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zenintrude posted:

I play my Virtual Boy from back in the day all the time... feels good.

Hey Zenintrude's interpreter, can you tell him it must suck to be blind?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Toady posted:

I got to play a Virtua Boy for the first time about 10 years after it came out, and it was completely awesome

for the 10 minutes I could stand it before I started getting a piercing headache and neck pain

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Papercut posted:

I got to play a Virtua Boy for the first time about 10 years after it came out, and it was completely awesome

for the 10 minutes I could stand it before I started getting a piercing headache and neck pain

I rented the thing from Blockbuster for 3 days. Even my parents, who bought me pretty much every Nintendo console ever made as a kid, knew better than to get me that poo poo.

I certainly was appeased having been able to play through all the games before returning it.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Papercut posted:

What the hell kind of Virtual Boy were you playing on that got you more than 10 minutes before it drained the batteries??

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Equilibrium posted:

Bayo1 should be ported.

To the PC :getin:
That would probably do pretty well on Steam priced at like 20 bucks or whatever.

As much as I'd like Wii U to get the first one, since I never played it, that's an absolute pipe dream because the series is niche as hell and there's no way someone is going to foot the bill to release another game to die.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Rorus Raz posted:

That would probably do pretty well on Steam priced at like 20 bucks or whatever.

As much as I'd like Wii U to get the first one, since I never played it, that's an absolute pipe dream because the series is niche as hell and there's no way someone is going to foot the bill to release another game to die.

You don't have any of the more modern consoles?

The PS3 and 360 that is. the PS3 version has framerate issues

So you could just order it. It holds up really well.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The game sold more than 1.35 million copies. It's no Call of Duty, it's not even Tomb Raider, but it's not 'niche as hell'.

It will do much better than W101 but not nearly well enough to resurrect the Wii U.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It sold more than a million copies to install bases that make Wii U's install base look like a high school gymnasium. It will not sell well. No publisher wanted it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Is anyone at all claiming it will sell well?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Peel posted:

No, the most is that people are claiming it will do better than the W101, which sold 150k copies.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Peel posted:

The game sold more than 1.35 million copies. It's no Call of Duty, it's not even Tomb Raider, but it's not 'niche as hell'.

It will do much better than W101 but not nearly well enough to resurrect the Wii U.

Assuming Bayonetta sold 3/2 on 360/PS3 there are well over 60 games that have sold more on the 360 than it, and at least 30 on the PS3, probably closer to 60, judging by these numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Xbox_360_video_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PlayStation_3

It's niche as hell

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 27, 2014

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Peel posted:

"Much better than W101"?

Bayonetta sold 1.35m to an install base of what, over 100m consoles, plus it had a serious marketing push behind it; there were TV adverts, magazine adverts, a lot of pre-release hype from game journalists and websites.

It's a niche title and it won't sell.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Peel posted:

The genre that bayo belongs to is niche as hell, it caters to a very specific player group, the games themes also turn some people off so it has that going against it as well(I personally don't care.)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Peel posted:

Even fans that liked Bayonetta are pissed that it's coming to the Wii U because they won't be buying one to play it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I actually thought W101 sold far less than 150k, though I'm having trouble finding numbers that aren't VGchartz, so I'll retract. It was dependent on there being clear daylight between 'much better than W101' and 'well'.

I'm not yet convinced that the original was some kind of great failure rather than merely ordinary, though.

Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001

Bruceski posted:

It's easy to find people with bad ideas. This thread and Nintendo's current issues in general just shine a spotlight on them.

I read that as "this thread is a great place to find people with bad ideas". :downs:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kabanaw posted:

No, the most is that people are claiming it will do better than the W101, which sold 150k copies.
I'd be surprised if it sold more than 150,000.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Even fans that liked Bayonetta are pissed that it's coming to the Wii U because they won't be buying one to play it.
Yeah put me in this group. I really really liked Bayonetta and even with Smash Bros coming out, it's not enough for me to buy a Wii U. The only way I'd consider buying one if it was like 100 dollars. It just doesn't seem worth it. Does the Wii U even play dvds or blu rays?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Yeah put me in this group. I really really liked Bayonetta and even with Smash Bros coming out, it's not enough for me to buy a Wii U. The only way I'd consider buying one if it was like 100 dollars. It just doesn't seem worth it. Does the Wii U even play dvds or blu rays?

It's really a no-win move.

Bayonetta 2 wasn't going to be made until Nintendo offered to fund it. It's lovely that you have to pay for a system you otherwise don't want if you end up wanting to play it, but it's either that or the game literally doesn't exist.

And yeah, no DVD or blu-ray playback.

Kabanaw posted:

There are lots of games that shutter their online service in way less time. The Original XBox had all its online services shut down in 2010. There are countless MMOs that are unplayable on PC because the owner shut down their servers. Also, you know that MH3U can only be played multiplayer on 3DS via local P2P and undoubtedly MH4U will also be playable over local P2P, right?

MH4 can play over the internet by itself. MH4U will also have it, especially since there's no Wii U version to make you get a second copy.

Argas fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 28, 2014

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
If you really want to play Bayonetta 2 but don't want to buy a Wii U just wait. It's not like that console is going to be very expensive to get a hold of in a couple of years.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I'm in the same camp too.

The Wii U needs like 2 or 3 more games to interest me to get me to make a purchase. But considering that even Hyrule Warriors only got a raised eyebrow from me, I'm not sure what Nintendo would have to announce to get my interest.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Argas posted:

MH4 can play over the internet by itself. MH4U will also have it, especially since there's no Wii U version to make you get a second copy.

I'm aware, I was just saying I would be surprised if there wasn't also local P2P.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blacktoll posted:

I know Nintendo has an attitude towards their own IPs, in that they prefer them "light" and "fun" but am I alone in feeling that an older and more mature Zelda might be more in line with its aging player base?

We had that. It was called Majoras Mask. Miyamoto hated it, so right back to "light" and "fun".

Alternative response:

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/originals/real-trailers/real-trailers-zelda-hardcore

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

We had that. It was called Majoras Mask. Miyamoto hated it, so right back to "light" and "fun".
Aonurma's been dropping every possible hint towards something Majora's Mask related, so we might get something a little darker with the next game.

Or a 3DS port of Majora. Either/or.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Considering how often they teased Metroid Dread while leading up to Other M and a whole pile of nothing besides that, I'm not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Fulchrum posted:

Considering how often they teased Metroid Dread while leading up to Other M and a whole pile of nothing besides that, I'm not holding my breath.

Woah woah woah I kept up to date with Other M in production, "Metroid Dread" what's that?

• Locked thread