Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

franco posted:

If by "hard pressed" you mean "Do you want that gas Y/N?" then I suppose you're correct. Unless it's Liechtenstein, I guess. I've lived in numerous European cities over the years and only encountered one property where gas wasn't an option. Hell, I'm living in a gas-equipped city in Europe right now.
The lack of a gas hob used to be a dealbreaker to me until I realised they are pretty rare in rental properties. Out of the six places I've rented and numerous others I've viewed, only one or two have had gas hobs. I guess you have been very lucky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003
...or you unlucky. I dunno, anecdata and all. I was genuinely surprised at people claiming Europe is a gas wasteland. Certainly not been my experience, or that of friends/family. I'll thank my luck :blush:

You have my sympathies though - electric hobs are bloody awful.

Edit: I seem to remember you're a UK person, BM - any clue about my pear conundrum? *begging*

franco fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 27, 2014

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

franco posted:

Edit: I seem to remember you're a UK person, BM - any clue about my pear conundrum? *begging*

Most common pears in the UK that are used for poaching are William or Conference. Conference is probably most used as it's the most widely available, in appearance it's very similar to a Bosc and they're both Pyrus communis varieties. So Conference is possibly your best bet.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Thank you! That's very helpful :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey maybe the next cook or die should be risotto.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 27, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Do I truly need sushi grade salmon or to freeze salmon for a week in order to make it into gravlax? Or can I get away with normal stuff from the market?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hallo spacedog posted:

Do I truly need sushi grade salmon or to freeze salmon for a week in order to make it into gravlax? Or can I get away with normal stuff from the market?

I THINK normal market stuff is already previously frozen, or you'll see on the label that it's been. Aren't most fish flash frozen before being shipped out to stores?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

Sushi grade is not a real thing in the U.S., it doesn't actually mean anything.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Just trying to make some sense of all these recipes that are saying to freeze this fish first if I don't want to die painfully or whatever.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

hallo spacedog posted:

Just trying to make some sense of all these recipes that are saying to freeze this fish first if I don't want to die painfully or whatever.

The recipes may be assuming that the salmon is fresh caught and never frozen or caught in fresh water, which can have parasites.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BraveUlysses posted:

The recipes may be assuming that the salmon is fresh caught and never frozen or caught in fresh water, which can have parasites.

Ah, okay, I hadn't considered that thought. Thanks very much.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So what exactly is the difference between guar and xanthan gum? I see a lot of mention on them for gluten free recipes, but the consensus is they are the same, with guar being cheaper.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Guar gum comes from ground up guar beans. Xanthan gum is a bacterial secretion (really).

This might help: http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/hydro.html

Texturas says they can be used interchangeably in some recipes. Not sure what the "some" is caused by.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 28, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I use a teflon coated skillet to cook unstirred risotto in while I make chili with beans.

Fakeedit: I find enamel coated cast iron to be a great pan / pot to work with and is very forgiving / low maintenance / easy to clean and can still develop a good fond.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Probably dumb question: I'm making a soup that basically involves chopping up veggies and throwing them in a pot with broth, spices, etc. Mainly sweet potato and onion, might add some carrot. Is there any reason I couldn't do the prep work tonight, stash the chopped veg in the fridge, then throw it all in the slow cooker tomorrow morning? Should I let it sit in the broth or add the broth just before cooking?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nibble posted:

Probably dumb question: I'm making a soup that basically involves chopping up veggies and throwing them in a pot with broth, spices, etc. Mainly sweet potato and onion, might add some carrot. Is there any reason I couldn't do the prep work tonight, stash the chopped veg in the fridge, then throw it all in the slow cooker tomorrow morning? Should I let it sit in the broth or add the broth just before cooking?

There's nothing wrong with doing all the preparation today in order to save time tomorrow.

I wouldn't think leaving veggies sitting around in a broth overnight would make them taste any better/different than if you didn't. It may be better to keep them separate so when you pour the broth into the pot the solid stuff doesn't splash.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Nibble posted:

Cooking vegetables for slow-cooker times is going to make a super mushy soup with no texture to it. You can make vegetable stock in like 20 minutes, and you can cook carrots/sweet potatoes in 15-20 minutes from raw (even doing it in the stock as it's being made. It's going to turn out way better if you just do it quickly tomorrow evening.

Also, putting a giant thermal mass of cold stuff into your slow cooker is going to keep everything in the ~Danger Zone for significantly longer than you want. This is less of a big deal if you're making vegetable soup rather than chicken or something, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Cooking vegetables for slow-cooker times is going to make a super mushy soup with no texture to it. You can make vegetable stock in like 20 minutes, and you can cook carrots/sweet potatoes in 15-20 minutes from raw (even doing it in the stock as it's being made. It's going to turn out way better if you just do it quickly tomorrow evening.

Also, putting a giant thermal mass of cold stuff into your slow cooker is going to keep everything in the ~Danger Zone for significantly longer than you want. This is less of a big deal if you're making vegetable soup rather than chicken or something, but it's worth keeping in mind.

It's all going to get blended to a homogenous texture in the end, would the mushiness factor matter then? Unfortunately I have plenty of time tonight but none tomorrow morning or between work and the event, hence why I want to do as much as possible now. The other option I'm weighing is prepping now, cooking overnight, then just putting the whole crock in the fridge to reheat tomorrow evening. Which would work, I just need to make sure I'll have enough time to reheat it before we eat.

And yeah, I thought about that, but there's no meat, just the vegetables + broth + spices.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Nibble posted:

It's all going to get blended to a homogenous texture in the end, would the mushiness factor matter then? Unfortunately I have plenty of time tonight but none tomorrow morning or between work and the event, hence why I want to do as much as possible now. The other option I'm weighing is prepping now, cooking overnight, then just putting the whole crock in the fridge to reheat tomorrow evening. Which would work, I just need to make sure I'll have enough time to reheat it before we eat.

And yeah, I thought about that, but there's no meat, just the vegetables + broth + spices.

In that case I would just cut and sweat onions/garlic in olive oil now, chop the rest of the veg while those are getting ready, then simmer everything until done, blend it, and store it in the fridge tonight.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Nibble posted:

If you do that, it won't cool fast enough and will just be in the temperature danger zone all day. If you cook and then reheat, decant your soup into tupperware while it's in the fridge.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm going to Pensacola in May for a conference, taking a couple personal days after. I intend to uncomfortably gorge myself on both soul food and cajun food, possibly driving out to New Orleans.
I have never been to the area. Are there any absolute must stop food places around Pensacola, or in between Pensacola and New Orleans (Biloxi, Pascagoula)? I'm looking for hole in the wall, ideally, not higher end.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Decided to try making chicken teriyaki tonight, so looked around for recipes. Plenty out there, of course, so besides any particularly good recommendations, will a teriyaki sauce keep in the fridge for any length of time? I'm cooking for one, but think it might make sense to make the quantity for 2-4 portions. And could I use the same sauce on something like beef? I keep seeing recipes for chicken teriyaki with honey and beef teriyaki with sugar, so wasn't sure if there were considerations for the meat being used.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 28, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Decided to try making chicken teriyaki tonight, so looked around for recipes. Plenty out there, of course, so besides any particularly good recommendations, will a teriyaki sauce keep in the fridge for any length of time? I'm cooking for one, but think it might make sense to make the quantity for 2-4 portions. And could I use the same sauce on something like beef? I keep seeing recipes for chicken teriyaki with honey and beef teriyaki with sugar, so wasn't sure if there were considerations for the meat being used.

Are you looking for Chinese-takeout style? I think teriyaki is actually Japanese and I know they have it on the menu at the local sushi joint but I've never tried it.

The recipe is basically marinate chicken/beef in a mixture of soy sauce, rice wine, and honey (or sugar), reserve a couple tablespoons for cooking. You could add garlic or hot peppers or whatever you want.

Cook up whatever vegetables you want in a wok or big pan, then cook the chicken, combine the two and add sauce and then serve it over noodles or rice.

You could buy a jar of teriyaki sauce as well if you wanted. Find it at Walmart or better yet, if you have an Asian grocery store in your town.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Ribs were on sale the other day. I'm kind of tired of BBQ since I just did a pulled pork the other day. Any suggestions on a non-barbecue preparation?
I was going to make them tomorrow and a crock-pot compatible recipe would be useful since I'm going to a showing of Lawrence of Arabia at the local theater all afternoon and can't really babysit them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Ribs were on sale the other day. I'm kind of tired of BBQ since I just did a pulled pork the other day. Any suggestions on a non-barbecue preparation?
I was going to make them tomorrow and a crock-pot compatible recipe would be useful since I'm going to a showing of Lawrence of Arabia at the local theater all afternoon and can't really babysit them.

I almost prefer a dry rub over sauce.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

franco posted:

...or you unlucky. I dunno, anecdata and all. I was genuinely surprised at people claiming Europe is a gas wasteland. Certainly not been my experience, or that of friends/family. I'll thank my luck :blush:

You have my sympathies though - electric hobs are bloody awful.

Yeah, they do loving suck. At least I have a rice cooker now, so that's one less massive ball-ache to deal with.

I see someone else mentioned something about the pears, and I don't really know, but a cursory Google yielded:

European pears are generally eaten after ripening and softening, though some varieties can be eaten crisp, e.g. Conference, Buerre Bosc, Concorde and Rocha. Asian and Chinese White pears are eaten in a crisp condition.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

I almost prefer a dry rub over sauce.

Isn't the 'good' way to prepare ribs to put a rub on, set it in the oven with a pan to catch the drippings, use the drippings with vinegar and tomato paste and spices and poo poo and then slather that sauce back on the ribs and then finish the cooking?

Do people JUST put a sauce on in the beginning? Does that even work - wouldn't that just slough off?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Guys, on a weekly basis I cook a meal for displaced and homeless youth. We get canned food fairly often.

How the hell do I make canned off brand sliced potatoes taste good? I've tried everything. They're just disgusting. The kids will not eat them.

You can't make mashed potatoes, you can't really fry them , just we got tons of this stuff and no one cooks it because it's just awful.

Also, Collared (SP) Greens as well.

I'm making Meatloaf next week I think we have two 5lb or 10lb of those tubes of chuck to make it with, any suggestions are welcome. I was going to do Meatloaf Surprise and put sausage and egg in the center to make it last a little further.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Daedalus Esquire posted:

make feijoada. ribs, other pork parts if you want, smoked sausages of varying types, soaked black beans, chopped onions, bay leaf. Serve with rice, sauteed kale, and orange slices.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

Guys, on a weekly basis I cook a meal for displaced and homeless youth. We get canned food fairly often.

How the hell do I make canned off brand sliced potatoes taste good? I've tried everything. They're just disgusting. The kids will not eat them.

You can't make mashed potatoes, you can't really fry them , just we got tons of this stuff and no one cooks it because it's just awful.

Can you hide them in other things after you drain them - do you drain them well? Like make a potato bacon/whatever quiche (mash and drain the potatoes and use it to make a thick crust - you'd have to bake it alone the fist time to get it kinda crusty) or a sexy stew that happens to also have gross potato bits in them?

For collard greens it's a thing, a lot of people don't like the mustardy/bitter taste of it. You may never get people to like it. My dad used to make something similar to the recipe below (without the maple syrup and fancy named onions) and I always enjoyed it even though I have a hard time eating mustard greens and stuff on their own. They also tend to be pretty tough a lot of the time. I'd chop them up, definitely.

Enlightened Collard Greens
Recipe by Sophina Uong chef of Pican in Oakland

1. It’s hot and humid in the south. Undress down to your skivvies and put on your “Where’s the beef?” apron.
  2. De-stem, wash, and then rough chop the collards.
  3. In a large pan, heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan well. Add a good handful of chopped sweet Vidalia onions along with a shake or two of chile flakes and one clove of chopped garlic. Cook until the onion softens and the garlic is golden, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add collards, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sizzle. Stir.
  5. Shake your manly booty.
  6. When the collards begin to cook down, add a splash of white wine for acidity and a few glugs of vegetable stock for richness. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until collards are tender, about 20 minutes.
  7. Turn off the heat, and stir in a bit of maple syrup and a splash of sherry vinegar. Serve.

I don't know about meatloaf. Maybe squish the potatoes into it (after you cook them alone in the oven a bit). That would probably hide the taste really well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hollismason posted:

I'm making Meatloaf next week I think we have two 5lb or 10lb of those tubes of chuck to make it with, any suggestions are welcome. I was going to do Meatloaf Surprise and put sausage and egg in the center to make it last a little further.

You might be able to dry the slices really well, cube them up and so a country potato/hash thing. Toss in some pepper and onions, paprika, garlic powder (raw will likely burn) salt, pepper and cayenne. Makes a good side for almost anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Drifter posted:

Can you hide them in other things after you drain them - do you drain them well? Like make a potato bacon/whatever quiche (mash and drain the potatoes and use it to make a thick crust - you'd have to bake it alone the fist time to get it kinda crusty) or a sexy stew that happens to also have gross potato bits in them?

For collard greens it's a thing, a lot of people don't like the mustardy/bitter taste of it. You may never get people to like it. My dad used to make something similar to the recipe below (without the maple syrup and fancy named onions) and I always enjoyed it even though I have a hard time eating mustard greens and stuff on their own. They also tend to be pretty tough a lot of the time. I'd chop them up, definitely.

Enlightened Collard Greens
Recipe by Sophina Uong chef of Pican in Oakland

1. It’s hot and humid in the south. Undress down to your skivvies and put on your “Where’s the beef?” apron.
  2. De-stem, wash, and then rough chop the collards.
  3. In a large pan, heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan well. Add a good handful of chopped sweet Vidalia onions along with a shake or two of chile flakes and one clove of chopped garlic. Cook until the onion softens and the garlic is golden, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add collards, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sizzle. Stir.
  5. Shake your manly booty.
  6. When the collards begin to cook down, add a splash of white wine for acidity and a few glugs of vegetable stock for richness. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until collards are tender, about 20 minutes.
  7. Turn off the heat, and stir in a bit of maple syrup and a splash of sherry vinegar. Serve.

I don't know about meatloaf. Maybe squish the potatoes into it (after you cook them alone in the oven a bit). That would probably hide the taste really well.

I like that recipe, but I've always slow cooked my collards for a much longer time.

As far as potatoes go Hollis I would maybe try oven browning / crisping the poo poo out of them, might get them to a better place taste / consistency wise than canned stuff.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hollismason posted:

This might turn out pretty gross with canned potatoes, but maybe some scalloped potatoes? It's basically potatoes layered with a bechamel sauce and then baked. If you cook the bechamel sauce enough prior to layering, you may not have to bake it too long, just enough to warm it so the potatoes don't disintegrate. Just make sure you season it enough, that will go a long way towards making the potatoes less gross. Black pepper definitely, and maybe something else. Nutmeg is sometimes used in bechamel sauces but I'm not guaranteeing that will be good.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I have a hard time believing that canned potatoes are cheaper than real potatoes. I've never seen anything canned less than like, 50cents. And a can can only hold like a potato and a half. A 10# bag of potatoes here is $3.

anyway working with what you got problem with tinned potatoes is that they're either gelatinized or completely mushy. In either case, the best way to use them is in things that are pureed. You can probably make pretty good potato bread with them, if you want to bother with breadmaking. Puree them and pipe them onto mince beef/lamb for cottage/shepherds pie. Maybe make soup from them?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have a hard time believing that canned potatoes are cheaper than real potatoes. I've never seen anything canned less than like, 50cents. And a can can only hold like a potato and a half. A 10# bag of potatoes here is $3.

I would not be surprised if that's coming from donations of nonperishables, and therefore isn't really up to him.

I love the soup idea, though--load enough cheddar into the soup and no matter how gross the potatoes are, it'll be tasty.

And Hollismason, you are awesome for doing what you do.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Wroughtirony posted:

If you do that, it won't cool fast enough and will just be in the temperature danger zone all day. If you cook and then reheat, decant your soup into tupperware while it's in the fridge.

Good call, I did just that. The hard part is waiting til tonight to actually eat it, I tasted some while tupperware-ing it and it came out pretty drat good. Plus it's one of those soups that likely tastes better after sitting for a while.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
How long does Miso last in the fridge, once you open the plastic bag it comes in? Days, Weeks?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

How long does Miso last in the fridge, once you open the plastic bag it comes in? Days, Weeks?

months to years depending on how you store it. You're more likely to have it dry out than you are to have it spoil.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

GrAviTy84 posted:

months to years depending on how you store it. You're more likely to have it dry out than you are to have it spoil.

Oh wow, that long? Good to know, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Style Pilsner
Feb 14, 2012
Does anyone have a tasty fried chicken recipe?
I have a pot, a stove, some fresh drumsticks, some buttermilk, and some peanut oil.

Do I have to let these legs sit in the buttermilk overnight? Do I want to blanch/ twice fry like I would with potatoes?