Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I just assumed the scarf was a gift from his dragon grandma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

whydirt posted:

I just assumed the scarf was a gift from his dragon grandma.

Grandma Bolas was probably really great at parties.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Grandma Bolas was probably really great at parties.

Nanny Ogg meets Smaug

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Livingtrope posted:

Can someone explain to me why the big bad dragon bad evil guy of supreme evil needs a scarf?
He'd wear more, but it's hard to get clothes fitted when any tailor who touches you loses all their memories.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Zemyla posted:

He'd wear more, but it's hard to get clothes fitted when any tailor who touches you loses all their memories.

Yeah, but you can keep getting first-time customer discounts!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I know this is like the epitome of first world problems but man, Karador Ghost Chieftan is such a lame Judge Promo.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
It's kinda lame for a promo but that's probably gonna look really good.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Stinky Pit posted:

I know this is like the epitome of first world problems but man, Karador Ghost Chieftan is such a lame Judge Promo.

I care less that it's not a widely-used card and more that it's going to encourage more Karador EDH decks and those are always horrid to play against.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Stinky Pit posted:

It's not even new art or a weird frame or anything. I guess foil hungry EDH barons are gonna flip their poo poo though.

EDIT: Am I the only one here that actively dislikes foil cards? If you're gonna pimp stuff out, get stuff like the transparent frame promos, or textless, or alters. Foiling is at best boring and at worst gives you a deck full of ugly pringles where its hard to make out the art.

EDIT EDIT: Wish I had picked up a grip of ~20 textless cryptic commands when I went on a textless buying kick a few years ago :(

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 27, 2014

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
So wait, I keep hearing some stuff about Khans and such - is this confirmed to be a future set?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

EDIT EDIT: Wish I had picked up a grip of ~20 textless cryptic commands when I went on a textless buying kick a few years ago :(

Jesus Christ I got mine at like 15 trading dumb standard crap. Sixty five goddamn dollars now?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jenx posted:

So wait, I keep hearing some stuff about Khans and such - is this confirmed to be a future set?
No. They registered a trademark last week for Khans of Tarkir and Dragons of Tarkir and everyone is jumping on it. I dunno what kind of history WotC has with this kind of stuff and if they try to obfuscate the same way a company like Blizzard does.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

EDIT: Am I the only one here that actively dislikes foil cards?

I also hate foils.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Jesus Christ I got mine at like 15 trading dumb standard crap. Sixty five goddamn dollars now?

Wow they jumped $15 in a week while regular ones didn't move at all it seems

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mango sentinel posted:

No. They registered a trademark last week for Khans of Tarkir and Dragons of Tarkir and everyone is jumping on it. I dunno what kind of history WotC has with this kind of stuff and if they try to obfuscate the same way a company like Blizzard does.

They don't do any obfuscation really. We had this topic when Conspiracy was registered. It is fairly safe to say based on those X of Y Z of Y names its set names for a new block.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

jassi007 posted:

They don't do any obfuscation really. We had this topic when Conspiracy was registered. It is fairly safe to say based on those X of Y Z of Y names its set names for a new block.

But since they plan so far in advance is this the next set (within a year) or is this a few years from now?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

But since they plan so far in advance is this the next set (within a year) or is this a few years from now?

Based off of registration last year, it's fall 2014 and on.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Nehru the Damaja posted:

All Cryptic Commands are only going to go up as Modern season approaches. If you already have them, hold them.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Lots of modern cards have gone nuts with prices.

Post Pro Tour Liliana of the Veil went up to $80 at SCG and Snapcaster Mage bumped to $40.

Maybe LotV will actually break the 100 mark.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Literally every Modern staple will be $100 in 2 months, by next year, will be able to trade a tier 1 Modern deck for a reasonably comfortable mid-sized family sedan. In 5 years time, those who command the power of a tournament ready Modern deck will control 97% of the world's wealth.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

So why did this not happen before? Modern is a new thing sure, but not SUPER new. Is it just the thousands of people wanting to get into the format due to Theros standard being absolutely no fun?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
What's the difference between Modern and Legacy? Just an available card pool?

Is there any reasons to play Modern over Legacy or Legacy over Modern?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I think part of it is due to the now instant online trading market, with up-to-the-minute price metrics and market variance statistics. I can only assume a majority portion of these mass-buys and price jumps are due to speculators are vendors, not normal people. Rich distributors making bets on theoretical prices that have powerful effects on prices with no oversight or regulation is always super good for markets!

Does this mark an eventuality of Magic, in that as the game gets more popular it's suddenly only for someone who can drop $1500+ on a seasonal deck? Is there any part of this that's a problem for Wizards?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
A substantial part of it could be speculation rather than actually 25% (or whatever) more demand for Cryptics overnight.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Legacy is arguably cooler/more fun on an objective scale, though as always you'll find people who disagree. Modern's big advantage/selling point is that the prices aren't (as) insane (yet), and also there's no pinky swear that actually prevents them from reprinting things, just a heck of a lot of corporate reticence towards actually doing so. The next year or two is probably going to make or break Modern's accessibility as a format.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Mortimer posted:

So why did this not happen before? Modern is a new thing sure, but not SUPER new. Is it just the thousands of people wanting to get into the format due to Theros standard being absolutely no fun?

There was massive price inflation last Modern season before Modern Masters hit and pushed prices down. It's because more people are getting into Modern and there's a limited supply of the cards out there. (And the price inflation of Snappy, Lily, and GoST is pretty obvious -- this is what happens when all-format staples go out of print...)

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Different MtG formats

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm a man who spent IRL Americadollars on a thing that makes my eyes glow when I shoot more people in TF2 and even I'm starting to think Magic is so insane that I should sell my poo poo and enjoy the money.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Modern Masters didn't push anything down, the desirable staples in the set went up in value, massively. It reduced the price of some fringe cards like Pact of Negation and Bridge from Below, but Goyf, Bob, the Swords, etc all went up up up.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

JerryLee posted:

A substantial part of it could be speculation rather than actually 25% (or whatever) more demand for Cryptics overnight.

While speculators alone can make a card temporarily spike, that spike won't hold without real demand. There might be a small dip between PTBNG hype and the actual Modern season, but demand for Cryptic Command is very real.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm a man who spent IRL Americadollars on a thing that makes my eyes glow when I shoot more people in TF2 and even I'm starting to think Magic is so insane that I should sell my poo poo and enjoy the money.

It's what I did. Got tired of keeping up with this nonsense.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Snapcaster Mage started the year at $14.95 and is now skyrocketing over $40. Ensnaring Bridge is now going up over $25. Enduring Ideal, a card that is worthless outside of being the center of a ridiculously awesome (and hence absolutely terrible) combo deck, is now $5+. Modern is going absolutely loving stupid insane, hopefully some of it settles eventually because it's also just pricing a ton of 'fun casual cards to build silly casual decks around' into oblivion.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

toadee posted:

Snapcaster Mage started the year at $14.95 and is now skyrocketing over $40. Ensnaring Bridge is now going up over $25. Enduring Ideal, a card that is worthless outside of being the center of a ridiculously awesome (and hence absolutely terrible) combo deck, is now $5+. Modern is going absolutely loving stupid insane, hopefully some of it settles eventually because it's also just pricing a ton of 'fun casual cards to build silly casual decks around' into oblivion.

I get really sad when I see that a fun card I would like for some sweet brew has reached insane prices. :( I was looking through a bunch of stuff I've picked up for EDH over the years and some of those cards have gotten inexplicably expensive. It's hard to keep interest in the game when stuff is getting so pricy but I guess that's what happens as the game becomes more popular.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

toadee posted:

Arid Mesa jumping 50% in the last 4 weeks completely turned me off to trying to get into Modern. I was considering it for a while as a less expensive legacy option now that I got back into the swim of things since M14. Nope. Not anymore. I'll just stick with a couple underpowered jank EDH decks for my legacy fix.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
After seeing a picture of a bunch of Modern Masters cases on SCG's Facebook for GP Richmond, I'm really starting to wonder how much of the blame SCG carries in all this. Hopefully zero because it sounds :tinfoil: as hell, but god drat.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Star Man posted:

After seeing a picture of a bunch of Modern Masters cases on SCG's Facebook for GP Richmond, I'm really starting to wonder how much of the blame SCG carries in all this. Hopefully zero because it sounds :tinfoil: as hell, but god drat.

SCG is evil as gently caress and are definitely to blame for this. Every LGS in my area uses them for pricing which doesn't help as they're always the highest.

Wonder why fetches are so much? SCG started buying scalding tarns for 10 and selling them at 40 ~6 months ago.

edit :tinfoil:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Do you ever fantasize about being not a grade-schooler with means in 1996 and getting moxes and dual lands super cheap before people know what rares were good, or even before magic was going to be a thing?

Well that was us, collectively, with modern, between 24 and up to about 6 months ago. Fetches were cheap, pods and splinter twins and fastlands and collonades and all sorts of poo poo were cheap. I got fulminators and chords and remands for cheap.

People are turned off now but we just went through the golden age of modern pricing and it will never be the same again. I think lots of people's professed hate at the format and its prices is a projection of their own bad feelings for not recognizing this.

Now, if you've been into the game less than one year that is a completely different situation and I can totally understand.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just wonder who's selling their Fetchlands and such to SCG. Is sending them your cards for a pittance really that much more convenient than putting them up on ebay and getting at least twice as much for them?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Star Man posted:

They're giving away a bunch of sealed MMA product as prizes for side events.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

toadee posted:

Modern Masters didn't push anything down, the desirable staples in the set went up in value, massively. It reduced the price of some fringe cards like Pact of Negation and Bridge from Below, but Goyf, Bob, the Swords, etc all went up up up.

Pretty much everything that wasn't a mythic dropped, often significantly. Look at the price graph of a staple like Cryptic that was printed at rare in MMA. Price was noticeably depressed between its reprinting and the Bitterblossom unban. Arcbound Ravager has nearly halved in price since MMA, even before the recent unban made Affinity less prominent. Note that this isn't just a Modern thing -- the same stuff is happening in Legacy, although less frequently since the meta is more established. I bought a Dark Depths for my EDH just before Junk Depths put up some good showings at a GP or SCG Open or something and it doubled in value in a week. Same with Obliterator.

Star Man posted:

Speaking as somebody relatively "in-the-know": SCG doesn't carry the blame. The SCG buyout of blue Zen fetches is the most major play they've done in a while and it was a pure market correction, they notice the card undervalued, they scoop it up and re-list it. The fact that prices of fetches continued to rise post-buyout indicates that their speculation was correct. This poo poo happens all the time, all kinds of stores and individuals do this sort of thing, it's just more noticeable when SCG does it because they're on a different scale.

E: you can contrast market manipulation of cards like Aluren, Dream Halls, and Divert over the past year -- individuals bought out these cards and re-listed them in an attempt to force a price rise, however there wasn't actually real demand at the new higher price, so gradually third parties began to list these cards at lower prices and the price settled

Saeku fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Do you ever fantasize about being not a grade-schooler with means in 1996 and getting moxes and dual lands super cheap before people know what rares were good, or even before magic was going to be a thing?

Well that was us, collectively, with modern, between 24 and up to about 6 months ago. Fetches were cheap, pods and splinter twins and fastlands and collonades and all sorts of poo poo were cheap. I got fulminators and chords and remands for cheap.

People are turned off now but we just went through the golden age of modern pricing and it will never be the same again. I think lots of people's professed hate at the format and its prices is a projection of their own bad feelings for not recognizing this.

Now, if you've been into the game less than one year that is a completely different situation and I can totally understand.

My Collonades, Snapcasters, Veils, Cryptics, and Tarns are all doing great. But the thought of having to buy those last X cards for a deck is loving daunting and more to the point it doesn't make feel good about the future of this hobby.

edit: Or I guess more accurately, my future with it.

• Locked thread