Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Meanie, I thought that was gonna be the Batman '66 set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Meanie, I thought that was gonna be the Batman '66 set!

That is coming later this year!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

That is coming later this year!

I know, which is why I got my hopes up when you posted that link!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yesssss :neckbeard:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Ahhhhhh.

So much poo poo is going to go down next week. The show does the best closing stings.

As good as the show is, I still think that slade's grey hair looks like it was sprayed on Manu Benneyt's head 5 minutes before the scene.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vincent posted:

As good as the show is, I still think that slade's grey hair looks like it was sprayed on Manu Benneyt's head 5 minutes before the scene.

Necessary evil given the island flashbacks aren't all shot before the rest of the season. He has to be able to go back and forth for now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'd be pretty great if he revealed that the gray was just sprayed on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this? posted:

It'd be pretty great if he revealed that the gray was just sprayed on.

It would be the greatest coup since Riker's fake beard.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Medullah posted:

It would be the greatest coup since Riker's fake beard.

It is truly the greatest thing

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
First image of the Flash

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02...m_medium=social

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you The Flash

:flashfap:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51185

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'd like to see the rest of it but that helmet/mask thing looks pretty awesome.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Looks better than expected, but its also a nice photo. We'll have to wait and see what it looks like in CW cheap-o-vision.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah that looks pretty perfect and so far has nothing as bad as Oliver's awful mascara.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if they are going to explain Speed Forceology early on or just hope that the casual viewer doesn't go "Waaaaait, wouldn't that break all the bones in his hand :confused: "

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

zoux posted:

I wonder if they are going to explain Speed Forceology early on or just hope that the casual viewer doesn't go "Waaaaait, wouldn't that break all the bones in his hand :confused: "

As someone who was always confused by poo poo like how he breathes when he runs so fast, what is the answer?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LorneReams posted:

As someone who was always confused by poo poo like how he breathes when he runs so fast, what is the answer?

Speed force = magic

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LorneReams posted:

Magic.

He gets his powers from the Speed Force, which is a mostly magical universal force that conveniently covers every negative aspect of super-speed for you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

zoux posted:

They don't have to do Speed Force, they can just leave it as some word chemical reaction/meta change like the mirakuru.

Speed Force might be good if they're trying to make the show a bit more 'high powered' superhero though, not sure exactly how they'd go about expositing on it. How did the character(s) figure out about the Speed Force in the comics?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, it's literally magic. Speed Force is why he doesn't shatter his hand when punching dudes super-fast, or like age 10 years during one long super-speed fight, that sort of thing. It's literally 'a wizard motherbox did it'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

They don't have to do Speed Force, they can just leave it as some word chemical reaction/meta change like the mirakuru.

Speed Force might be good if they're trying to make the show a bit more 'high powered' superhero though, not sure exactly how they'd go about expositing on it. How did the character(s) figure out about the Speed Force in the comics?

A guy ran fast enough to almost get there and then told everyone else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno what the Marvel explanation is for guys like Quicksilver, but there are a bunch more speedsters in DC I think anyway.

Also do they still do the thing where the speedsters have to constantly eat all the time?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

zoux posted:

Also do they still do the thing where the speedsters have to constantly eat all the time?

I don't think so. Flash doesn't actually burn more calories moving fast because he's not actually moving fast; the Speed Force is doing all the work. Or something similar.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

zoux posted:

I dunno what the Marvel explanation is for guys like Quicksilver, but there are a bunch more speedsters in DC I think anyway.

Well A) Quicksilver doesn't run as ridiculously fast as Flash, B) he's a mutant, mutant adaptations usually have the catch-all effect that they both grant you the power and adapt your body so that using your power doesn't kill you (see: why Cyclops doesn't snap his neck every time he fires a Sentinel destroying eye beam).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

zoux posted:

I was just about to ask this because if it's magic, then this seems silly.

I remember watching the miniseries ages ago and everytime he would run, his clothes got shredded and he was always hungry, and his powers made more sense (I beleive if he ran too fast, he couldn't get enough air to enter his lungs or something).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

This is the TV series we're talking about. Nothing about Barry's powers have been defined.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Waterhaul posted:

This is the TV series we're talking about. Nothing about Barry's powers have been defined.

I WAS refering to the TV series as that's my only real point of reference for Flash (besides JL and JLU which really didn't focus on him too much besides for comic relief).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Seeing as Flash's recent TV cartoon appearances have had him eating a lot (as Wally West at least) I would imagine that they do end up going with that for the show, even if it isn't comic accurate, mostly because it is a visual gag they are going to want to pull and gives him a "quirk" they can play with.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

zoux posted:

I think the casual viewer would be perfectly okay stopping at "he's really fast, got it."

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

LorneReams posted:

I WAS refering to the TV series as that's my only real point of reference for Flash (besides JL and JLU which really didn't focus on him too much besides for comic relief).

I meant the new series :flashfact:

THey may not even mention Speed Force in the new series (as unlikly as that may be).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The "old" Flash TV show was the only "adult" TV my parents would let me watch and I remember looking forward to it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Seeing as Flash's recent TV cartoon appearances have had him eating a lot (as Wally West at least) I would imagine that they do end up going with that for the show, even if it isn't comic accurate, mostly because it is a visual gag they are going to want to pull and gives him a "quirk" they can play with.

Poor Grant Gustin. Eating on film is one of the worst things to do.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Poor Grant Gustin. Eating on film is one of the worst things to do.

"Cut! Someone get Grant another Whopper, we have to start from the top!"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

WarLocke posted:

"Cut! Someone get Grant another Whopper, we have to start from the top!"

It's not even the amount that is bad. From my experience it is the fact that the food itself is sitting there for quiet some time, constantly being reheated, or sometimes not reheated at all. I've seen multiple actors spit out food between takes if they still have it in their mouths when cut is called.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Quick, someone post the ultra-realistic salad eating gif from Dexter!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The old Flash TV show was pretty trend-setting for the effects use, and if it had come out 5 years later it probably would have gone another two seasons. The show was popular but the computer effects killed their budget.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kellsterik posted:

I think the casual viewer would be perfectly okay stopping at "he's really fast, got it."

Going too far beyond that also gets us goofy poo poo like John Byrne's "it's really all subtle telekinesis!" for Superman's powers, too. The Speed Force is the ultimate :techno: of comics and about as impenetrable to non-hypernerds.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Medullah posted:

Quick, someone post the ultra-realistic salad eating gif from Dexter!

I've noticed alot more salad eating on TV shows. It's kind of a brilliant work around. Pretty much all of the food shown on Big Bang Theory is salad or Asian take out in food containers. Easy to replenish and not difficult for people to eat in a left overish way. I cringe when I see people eating french fries or burgers.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Going too far beyond that also gets us goofy poo poo like John Byrne's "it's really all subtle telekinesis!" for Superman's powers, too. The Speed Force is the ultimate :techno: of comics and about as impenetrable to non-hypernerds.

I actually liked the appendix in the first Wild Cards book (before it became irredeemably lovely) hypothesizing that literally all 'ace' (meta) powers were various manifestations of telekinesis. It actually hung together fairly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I gave Arrow another shot since I didn't actually watch as many episodes as I thought. Just finished the episode with Deadshot and I am now hooked. Now I understand the disappointment with SHIELD.