Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kafka Esq. posted:

Probably a refusal to insure new five percent down mortgages popping up as bond yields lower.

That'd be a totally smart thing for them to do. Can't wait to see what it does to house prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
sigh

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/affordability/Photos+Typical+home+prices+Metro+Vancouver/9550313/story.html

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That shed is almost 900k? :stare:

I knew BC real estate was insane, but this is way beyond what I thought.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

FrozenVent posted:

That shed is almost 900k? :stare:

I knew BC real estate was insane, but this is way beyond what I thought.

How liquid is the Vancouver market? I can't imagine there are that many people falling over themselves to pay that sort of money for such a piece of crap.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

How liquid is the Vancouver market? I can't imagine there are that many people falling over themselves to pay that sort of money for such a piece of crap.

This liquid: http://www.dexterrealty.com/current-market-conditions.php

Apparently Feb 2014 is better than Feb 2013.

Also, contractors fall over themselves to snap up poo poo like that.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The structure sitting there is irrelevant, unless it's full of asbestos which would increase the costs of demolition. 100% of the real estate in Vancouver is being sold for the bare land value.

Not that this reduces how insanely overvalued these 1/8th acre lots are, mind you.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.scmp.com/comment/blogs/article/1435474/hk12m-garage-and-other-properties-prove-vancouver-realty-has-lost-plot

I love the 1.7 million "coach house".

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Today's Greater Fool is Garth at his best: http://www.greaterfool.ca/2014/02/26/youre-_-_-_-_-_-_-than-you-think/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am amused by that too but comparing houses in Vancouver to places in Burlington, Halton Hills and loving Oshawa is pretty silly.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eXXon posted:

I am amused by that too but comparing houses in Vancouver to places in Burlington, Halton Hills and loving Oshawa is pretty silly.

Perhaps but this is for a Hong Kong audience so it is unlikely the readers, or even the writers could tell you why the comparisons are silly. This is just as reasonable as the 9 French castles for one UBC tear down story a few months back. A silly, but telling comparison.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Calling it a fancy garage is disingenuous though. Certainly not worth the 1.7 million, but according to the blueprint the place is over 1200 sqft.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xerxus posted:

Calling it a fancy garage is disingenuous though. Certainly not worth the 1.7 million, but according to the blueprint the place is over 1200 sqft.

You can get a beautiful condo on a high floor in the middle of downtown Calgary, around 1200 sq.ft., for under $500,000. We also have an insane growth rate, high salaries, and incredibly low rates of rental vacancies at the moment. Some of these markets are just crazy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bnn.ca/News/2014/02/27/Mortgage-insurer-CMHC-primes-market-for-announcement.aspx

That big cmhc announcement is probably gonna be about raising premiums.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I found this part interesting:

quote:

CMHC earned almost $1.28 billion in the first nine months of 2013.

So, a mere 1200 homeowners defaulting on their mortgates would wipe out the CMHC profits for all of 2013. It really wouldn't take much to drive it into insolvency in the event of a US-style decline would it? :stare:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

So, a mere 1200 homeowners defaulting on their mortgates would wipe out the CMHC profits for all of 2013. It really wouldn't take much to drive it into insolvency in the event of a US-style decline would it? :stare:

Without seeing their books, hard to say. It really depends on their assets, not their profit. There's a big difference between "not making profit" and "being insolvent."

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Ben Rabidioux made a profound point on Twitter yesterday: there's good reason to believe mortgages are fundamentally uninsurable, anyway. If you're underwriting those concerned about their car being stolen, there's no correlation between a theft in Vancouver and one in Toronto - thus that risk can be distributed. Mass mortgage defaults probably aren't uncorrelated though, given the interconnectedness of the national economy, not to mention the global one.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Rime posted:

Huh? What kind of funky math are you using to get that number?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kal Torak posted:

$1 million (left to be paid) per mortage and all of that money being instantly absorbed by the CMHC rather than prorated.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Brannock posted:

$1 million (left to be paid) per mortage and all of that money being instantly absorbed by the CMHC rather than prorated.

Them's some big mortgages there.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
^ What Brannock said.

$1 Million * 1200 Mortgages = $1.2 Billion. Of course, in the event of US style bubble pop we're looking at far far more than 1200 defaults.

I wasn't aware simple multiplication was "funky math". :colbert:

FrozenVent posted:

Them's some big mortgages there.
The average in Vancouver is $880,000. In the GTA that drops to $523,000, but they have a larger pool of towers going up at the moment. BC largely mirrors Vancouver without a drastic reduction, the average price in Kelowna, a city of only 117,000 people, is $449,674.

Rime fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 27, 2014

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kal Torak posted:

I am guessing he is using an average mortgage of a million to come to it. I doubt that is a reasonable number to use, though living in Vancouver it is an easy conclusion to jump to.

I am not really up on expected rates of return in the insurance business, but isn't 1.2B profit insuring a portfolio of ~550B in assets really low?

e: fb
ee: Or does the federal government loot the CMHC too?

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 27, 2014

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Brannock posted:

Yeah but the 1.28 billion is only 9 months of profit but fair enough, I get the point. But there can't be THAT many $1M insured mortgages out there. I guess the comment should be changed to 1200 $1M mortgages.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 27, 2014

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Brannock posted:

That's a pretty rough assumption - the average Canadian mortgage is much smaller than that, likely to be paid down at least partially, and is backed by the value of a home and land that, while overvalued, certainly isn't worth nothing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't know dick about Canadian housing or mortgages other than following this thread because I want to move to Toronto soon, I'm just explaining the math that that dude was likely using. :shobon:

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Rime posted:

^ What Brannock said.

$1 Million * 1200 Mortgages = $1.2 Billion. Of course, in the event of US style bubble pop we're looking at far far more than 1200 defaults.

I wasn't aware simple multiplication was "funky math". :colbert:

The average in Vancouver is $880,000. In the GTA that drops to $523,000, but they have a larger pool of towers going up at the moment. BC largely mirrors Vancouver without a drastic reduction, the average price in Kelowna, a city of only 117,000 people, is $449,674.

Do you have a source for these averages? Google is giving me smaller numbers.

edit: And using a $1M assumption and not pro-rating the profit is the funky math part.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

quote:

Here’s how the process works:

Once your mortgage has been in default for three months, legal proceedings are started through power of sale and the bank takes possession of your property.

The bank sells the property and submits a claim to CMHC for any shortfall.

CMHC gets a judgment against you as the defaulted mortgagor for this shortfall and CMHC tries to collect.

If this attempt is unsuccessful, the account is forwarded to one of CMHC’s collection agencies.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

iv46vi posted:

Well, that would definitely be more than 1200 defaults to equal 1.2B.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
They also no longer insure mortgages greater then a million since 2012.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iv46vi posted:

They also no longer insure mortgages greater then a million since 2012.

While true, in the time that they were they potentially signed on for a very large problem.

If 5000 detached units trade hands in Vancouver over a year, and even half of them were CMHC insured, Vancouver alone could wipe them out a couple of times over.

You don't even need to consider the poor sods in Abottsford that paid $120K for a condo that is actually worth $75K.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
There's going to be tens of thousands of defaults, not a thousand or two, so I'm sure the math on a CMHC Armageddon works out!

Like, any perusal of the critical statistics (average amount of equity in recent years, consumer indebtedness, all of that jazz) will tell you that 1,200 defaults nation-wide is like a loving unicorn queef level mythical dream.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

iv46vi posted:

So... the bank has no incentive to get fair value for the defaulted property? Great... When poo poo gets bad we'll have the banks racing to the bottom to unload foreclosed homes.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

EngineerJoe posted:

So... the bank has no incentive to get fair value for the defaulted property? Great... When poo poo gets bad we'll have the banks racing to the bottom to unload foreclosed homes.

That leeway to huff and puff back and forth between banks, CMHC, and likely Ministry of Finance intervention ("YOU FUCKERS BETTER SHOW FLAWLESS PAPERWORK FOR EVERYTHING!") about who owes what is precisely the reason anybody who thinks they know exactly who will pay for what is just jerking themselves off. Everybody involved has 100% incentive to pass the buck.

Edit: To clarify, the banks aren't "insured" in any meaningful sense of the word. I can prove financial negligence just from public statistics/documents, never loving mind what the Feds will dig up when they go into full blown CYA Harpermania.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 28, 2014

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Yes, the mortgage insurance premiums that you pay on top of your mortgage(with interest) are only used to cover lender shortfall in case of default. That's why we have such lax lending standards here.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. is raising its mortgage loan insurance premiums effective May 1, the Crown corporation announced Friday.

The increases will be for new policies, not those that are already insured. Premiums will rise by about 15 per cent on average, CMHC said.

“The higher premiums reflect CMHC’s higher capital targets,” vice president Steven Mennill stated in a press release. “For the average Canadian home buyer requiring CMHC insured financing, the higher premium will result in an increase of approximately $5 to their monthly mortgage payment. This is not expected to have a material impact on the housing market.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/cmhc-to-raise-mortgage-loan-premiums-may-1/article17159342/

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/corp/nero/nere/2014/2014-02-28-1100.cfm

Well that was dull.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Cultural Imperial posted:

Well that was dull.

Super dull. Would have been awesome if they said you need 20% down for 800k and up mortgages, moving it down from a million. Hit Toronto right in the sweet spot : )

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
On mortgage insurance, the cmhc's exposure is well below the full value of the mortgage, and a $1mm mortgage is silly to use as a base value anyways. They only pay to the extent that the bank is unable to fully recover. In the worst case, where a place goes upside-down immediately after purchase, this is probably only going to up 10-15% of the mortgage value ( not house value). I don't know the average nationwide property value but say it's $300,000. Disregarding impact of high-value properties which would drag average up as someone noted they're not insurance anyways. The mortgage insurer covering te difference between a (say) 90% average mortgages value and a fire sale price at say 80% of purchase price (the assumption baked into a regular uninsured mortgage), cmhc is only exposed on $30,000 per mortgage, on average. This means that to take out $1.6bn of profits (annualized from $1.2bn) you actually need 50,000 mortgages to go upside down very early in their amortization life. I sont think the cmhc is breaking any time soon, and these numbers eve disregard that genworth and whatever the other company is also have decent market share.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

What if we had a US style meltdown that resulted in much greater losses?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Check out @kevinmilligan's Tweet: https://twitter.com/kevinmilligan/status/439545364836655105

BC male earnings lol

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

EngineerJoe posted:

What if we had a US style meltdown that resulted in much greater losses?

I don't think we will - most of the Canadian market's problems seem to be focused on a few key markets rather than systemic. My opinion fwiw. If we did, the comparison vs a year's profits is ultimately not realistic. The CMHC has had years to build reserves, and insurance profit estimates should be net of actuarial loss estimates, so the funds in the door are likely much higher than the profit number. Governments do funny things with reporting though so not sure if they're mislabelling what is actually revenue here. A systemic failure will be underestimated by actuarial estimates but the reserves built up will help cushion the blow substantially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

EngineerJoe posted:

Isn't there also the issue of selling the property in the first place? I mean, wasn't part of the problem in the US housing crisis that there simply wasn't enough liquidity in the market for the banks to unload the properties at any price, let alone a fair one?