Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Go back to a working nandroid. You'll never get that install to work.

I went back to my restore that i made a couple weeks back and it's weird. It is the right version of the ROM I was on but its missing...a lot.. like my app drawer has like 12 apps. I don't even have the play store on there. Could that be from all the bullshit I've been going through and wiping the internal drive, etc, etc, etc. The backup was on my external but I wonder if part of it was on the internal. I dunno.

Edit: I also got the UIDs error at boot for this one, but not the media. Im going to try and flash this rom and see if it gets the google apps and poo poo

Edit2: So.. No go. Got the same error as my previous long post mentioned when upgrading from my TWRP backup. Not really sure what to do as even my restore is weird (Like I said, no play store.. just missing a lot of poo poo. Also it said "Unfortunately, Calender storage stopped working" when I first booted up the restore. Not really sure what to do now. I wonder if its a result of all the wiping.. I dunno.

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I have a rooted stock HTC One, what's the best way to install the OTA for 4.4.2 and keep root? I figure I should side load the OTA with adb and then re-install superuser.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CancerStick posted:

Not really sure what to do now. I wonder if its a result of all the wiping.. I dunno.
As a Nexus user, I would just flash the stock firmware and start over. Is there an equivalent in non-Nexus-land?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CancerStick posted:

I went back to my restore that i made a couple weeks back and it's weird. It is the right version of the ROM I was on but its missing...a lot.. like my app drawer has like 12 apps. I don't even have the play store on there. Could that be from all the bullshit I've been going through and wiping the internal drive, etc, etc, etc. The backup was on my external but I wonder if part of it was on the internal. I dunno.

I had that happen once on my old Evo when the SD card filled up from the backup and it didn't bother to actually notify me that the backup wasn't complete. Of course it was one of the few times I actually needed the backup, restore it and half my stuff's missing.

LastInLine posted:

As a Nexus user, I would just flash the stock firmware and start over. Is there an equivalent in non-Nexus-land?

Any device with an unlocked bootloader (either officially or unofficially) is pretty much the same, just wipe clean and reflash everything from the ground up. No need to revert to stock, just start with a fresh install of your ROM of choice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

For some reason now, I haven't been able to get data for days on my safestrapped note 3 on verizon. What can I do to fix this? I can't get data, I can't send out any text messages, normal or mms. I'm pretty frustrated.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Does anyone know of an easy way to remove the 'VPN requires pin/password screenlock' setting?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I saw some talk last page about the GPE rom for a Galaxy S4. I haven't bothered with any of this in a long time, but was under the impression I could probably find a clean, totally stock GPE version rom and flash to a T-Mobile Galaxy S4, without all the traditional xda additions. Is this the case? A quick look on xda left me not confident about this. My wife prefers stock android over TW but wants a better camera, so if I can get both for her with the S4 that'd be great. I just don't want to have to keep messing with flashing poo poo if at all possible; my ideal scenario would be flash an "official" GPE rom and then let her take OTA updates as Google/Samsung release them, if that's possible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I saw some talk last page about the GPE rom for a Galaxy S4. I haven't bothered with any of this in a long time, but was under the impression I could probably find a clean, totally stock GPE version rom and flash to a T-Mobile Galaxy S4, without all the traditional xda additions. Is this the case? A quick look on xda left me not confident about this. My wife prefers stock android over TW but wants a better camera, so if I can get both for her with the S4 that'd be great. I just don't want to have to keep messing with flashing poo poo if at all possible; my ideal scenario would be flash an "official" GPE rom and then let her take OTA updates as Google/Samsung release them, if that's possible.
I'm certain it's possible but you will then have a lovely camera.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I'm certain it's possible but you will then have a lovely camera.

Well, even with the stock Android camera app, I think it would still be a big step up from a Nexus 4. In any case, she wants to just try using Nova launcher and see if that makes it inoffensive enough.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any good references which discuss the more technical side of how su and root actually work (which will mostly be Linux-y stuff I guess), how to use it within an app, limitations, etc?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 2, 2014

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Tunga posted:

Does anyone have any good references which discuss the more technical side of how su and root actually work (which will mostly be Linux-y stuff I guess), how to use it within an app, limitations, etc?

I've never used it myself but I've looked at libsuperuser, which Chainfire goes over in How-To-Su

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Glimm posted:

I've never used it myself but I've looked at libsuperuser, which Chainfire goes over in How-To-Su
Thanks, that article has a bunch of useful stuff in it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been trying to use the WugFresh NRT to flash stock + unroot my Nexus 4. Everything reports success, but the N4 only bootloops. What should I do?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

I've been trying to use the WugFresh NRT to flash stock + unroot my Nexus 4. Everything reports success, but the N4 only bootloops. What should I do?
Learn to do it without a toolkit.

Knowing the N4, I'd wager your radio, bootloader, and ROM don't match. If that happens the N4 will bootloop which is due to the measures they took to disable LTE in the stock radio.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Mmmmmokay. Well, I downloaded the factory files from Google, flashed them with fastboot, and still I only get bootlooping. Did it again meticulously, same problem. What else can I do?

e: I can flash a custom recovery and adb push cyanogenmod to it, that's what I can do.

e2: Also bootlooping.

e3: Went for an older factory image and it booted. Cool!

e4: Ok, I need to go to bed. There's definitely something wrong - not finding any cell networks with my microsim card, and trying to update from stock results in bootloops.

Manky fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 5, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

Mmmmmokay. Well, I downloaded the factory files from Google, flashed them with fastboot, and still I only get bootlooping. Did it again meticulously, same problem. What else can I do?

e: I can flash a custom recovery and adb push cyanogenmod to it, that's what I can do.

e2: Also bootlooping.

e3: Went for an older factory image and it booted. Cool!

e4: Ok, I need to go to bed. There's definitely something wrong - not finding any cell networks with my microsim card, and trying to update from stock results in bootloops.
Sorry, I was at work. Sounds like it's definitely the radio and I've seen this problem on an N4 before. It has to do with the order you flash the radio files.

What's your baseband in Settings > About Phone? If you can't get to Android because of the update, it should also show your baseband version in the bootloader. (That's volume down + power.)

What's your bootloader version if you boot to it?

Lastly, what build worked?

Give me those three and I should be able to walk you through getting everything to work. You've wiped all the data on the device, correct?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well thanks, I sure appreciate it!

It's been wiped multiple times.
Baseband version is Unknown in About Phone, on bootloader it reads M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.48
Bootloader version is MAKOZ10o
Working build is 4.2.2 JDQ39.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

Well thanks, I sure appreciate it!

It's been wiped multiple times.
Baseband version is Unknown in About Phone, on bootloader it reads M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.48
Bootloader version is MAKOZ10o
Working build is 4.2.2 JDQ39.
You have a custom recovery? Flash this radio in recovery.

JDQ39 uses the .48 baseband and the Z10o bootloader.

When you were trying to fix this in fastboot did you use the script or did you flash each in turn manually?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'd like to set up Titanium Backup to be efficient as possible with backing up stuff. If I have my initial backup of all my apps is the "Redo backups for modified data" the way to maintain them? Does it just backup apps with data that has been changed since the last backup? If that is the case then I would also need another schedule to backup new and updated user apps correct?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Drevoak posted:

I'd like to set up Titanium Backup to be efficient as possible with backing up stuff. If I have my initial backup of all my apps is the "Redo backups for modified data" the way to maintain them? Does it just backup apps with data that has been changed since the last backup? If that is the case then I would also need another schedule to backup new and updated user apps correct?

This exact setup is what I have and it seems to work fine.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

It is inded not activated, and this morning I tested dash cam software (Daily Roads Voyager) and the GPS still functions just fine.

Yesterday, I followed the directions on Cyanogen's website, and I rotoed the droid, then installed safestrap, the installed CyanogenMod in ROM slot 1. I wasn't entirely sure what that meant, I know the website says "This is a KEXEC build and must be installed in rom-slot1." Now I have a dual boot between stock Motorola and Cyanogen. I don't want a dual boot, I want to free up as much space as possible on my device. I want to remove the NFL mobile and Amazon and Motorla print services and all of Verizon's crap. Cyanogen is nice in that once I boot it, I don't see all of the Verioz/Motorola garbage, but it's all still present on my phone and taking up even more space due to the dual boot nature of the install. Can I install only Cyanogen on this phone and remove the default Verizon/Motorola firmware? If not, how do I remove Cyanogen now so that I can at least attempt to de-crapify the stock ROM?
I know this is an old post, but just FYI,

-Make sure you're running SafeStrap 3.65
-Flash CM11 to slot 1
-Take a backup of the stock slot and keep a copy somewhere safe because you're going to need it when the CM11/spyder GPS bug hits.
-Backup your CM11 installation from Slot 1 then restore that backup to the Stock slot
-Delete Slot 1, clear cache/dalvik on Stock and boot
-Your phone feels 8 times faster than either stock or CM11 on slot 1 even though it's more like 20% faster

The only way to unfuck the GPS bug on CM11 for the Razr/Razr Maxx is to boot to the stock firmware, acquire GPS signal, then boot back to CM11. If you don't have the stock firmware backed up, you have flash your phone back to completely stock first.

I managed to destroy my Maxx recently trying to fix it so I'm not following development closely anymore, but there's a snowball's chance in hell of anyone bothering to write a new baseband for it and the devs said that would have been the only way to fix the GPS and signal loss bugs.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Crosspostin' from the Android thread because I'm dumb and didn't notice this was the place for the question:

Hey Droidgoons, I'm having some issues and I was hoping someone could help me decide what to do.

Just bought an used Galaxy SIII for my wife since her SII got wet with a single drop of rain and died. The SIII was from some friends that sold it pretty cheap and it's in perfect (physical) condition.

Now, the problem is that it freezes every now and then, and sometimes it does weird things like head to the SMS screen when she closes any app.

The first thing that comes to mind is that it's got CyanogenMod installed, and that's what probably causing these issues. We also didn't have a SD card (got one today) so maybe the lack of it + Cyanogen caused something to go wonky.

I thought about going back to its original OS, specially since my wife doesn't really mind the OS she uses. Problem with that is that the phone was unlocked by software (as far as I can tell) and I'm not sure if a that would lock it again. Also, no idea how to go back to stock SIII OS.

What do you guys think? is it possible that the Cyanogen ROM is what's making it act weird, and if so is there a way to go back to the original OS without locking the phone again? I'm tempted to just return it to our friends and ask for the money back, but it's a pain in the rear end since I have to mail it to them, wasting more money.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Just bought an used Galaxy SIII for my wife since her SII got wet with a single drop of rain and died. The SIII was from some friends that sold it pretty cheap and it's in perfect (physical) condition.

Did you try a factory reset? The phone should have a custom recovery and you can try doing that, also if you feel like doing some rom instalation, install a stable version if you don't have one already.

In other news, I've been using the GPE rom for my S4 and I really like how 4.4.2 with ART goes. I'm trying to surive without nova launcher (I always used Nova on top of CM and disabled trebuchet) but I miss some features CM 10.2.1 had like pulling the right side of the notification bar bringing the settings and that. Xposed+gravity doesn't work with ART, does it work with Dalvik?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Correct, Xposed is Dalvik-only for the moment.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Did you try a factory reset? The phone should have a custom recovery and you can try doing that, also if you feel like doing some rom instalation, install a stable version if you don't have one already.

In other news, I've been using the GPE rom for my S4 and I really like how 4.4.2 with ART goes. I'm trying to surive without nova launcher (I always used Nova on top of CM and disabled trebuchet) but I miss some features CM 10.2.1 had like pulling the right side of the notification bar bringing the settings and that. Xposed+gravity doesn't work with ART, does it work with Dalvik?
Yes, it's only on Dalvik but I have a hard time believing you won't find GravityBox on a GPE S4 to be everything CM offered but with the added benefit of everything working as intended. I'm pretty sure GB even offers button-specific customization for the lovely button layout the S4 presents but I have no way of knowing for certain.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Right, thanks! I might switch back to Dalvik soon since I miss some features like the settings press thing (short for quick disable and long for going to its settings menu).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Right, thanks! I might switch back to Dalvik soon since I miss some features like the settings press thing (short for quick disable and long for going to its settings menu).
That's handled a little weirdly in GB, by the way. It keeps the default way of operating tiles unless you check a box called "Invert long press" or something oddball.

I only use GB for volume skip, extended power and volume panels, and Quick Setting Panel changes and for that it's fantastic. Oh yeah, I also put the connectivity indicator back into the status bar for those times my phone connects to a public wifi with a terms page. Of course you'll get those three nice touches you forget aren't stock too: edge pulldown for QSP, slide on notification shade handle to swap QSP and notifications, and clock shortcut in the notification pane (although instead of clock/date buttons it's press/longpress).

GravityBox owns and I donated because it's so well done and the developer is so friendly and helpful.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

That's handled a little weirdly in GB, by the way. It keeps the default way of operating tiles unless you check a box called "Invert long press" or something oddball.
It's "Override default tile behaviour", and then you get a set of tick boxes to indivudally swap/improve the behaviour for each applicable tile. It's very flexible.

Love GB way too much. It's CM in an APK.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Galaxy SIII issues...

It's fairly straightforward to flash the stock firmware if you have a PC. There are guides all over, but you'll use a program called ODIN, to flash a firmware you can find at sammobile.com/firmwares (it sounds a tad sketchy but Samsung themselves flat out doesn't have a customer-facing repository for firmwares like this that I've found). Search for your model number there, and pick the latest firmware (should be able to see the latest Android version in the description). This process will put the phone back to as if it just came out of the box.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Installed the lastest CM Nightly today, and a few of my applications deleted themselves somehow. The first one I noticed was Chronus, which I have the paid version of. I just assumed that a change in CM's cLock overwrote the play store version so I just restored it from backup. Then I noticed IRSSI ConnectBot and IRSSI Notifier were gone too. Checking my Titanium Backup there were a few other odd applications missing as well.

Anyone heard of this happening?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The Moto X forum over at XDA is a confusing mess so I guess I'll ask here: I am currently rooted but bootloader locked on 4.4.0 on a Sprint Moto X. Is there currently a way to get rooted 4.4.2 on here? I'm completely willing to unlock the bootloader (I already have the unlock key), I'm just not sure what the next step is, if there is one.

edit: never mind, I figured it out.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 8, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I only use GB for volume skip, extended power and volume panels, and Quick Setting Panel changes and for that it's fantastic. Oh yeah, I also put the connectivity indicator back into the status bar for those times my phone connects to a public wifi with a terms page. Of course you'll get those three nice touches you forget aren't stock too: edge pulldown for QSP, slide on notification shade handle to swap QSP and notifications, and clock shortcut in the notification pane (although instead of clock/date buttons it's press/longpress).

GravityBox owns and I donated because it's so well done and the developer is so friendly and helpful.

Yeah definately loving GPE rom + GB. I have my quick settings working like the CM one and some other nice stuff. I also placed the data meter in the center of my status bar (# kb/s indicator). I'll probably toss a few bucks their way since is mindnumbling that they do better than most premium launchers.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Is they're anything I can do to make my Apple Earpods work with a root or something? The one that comes with the Galaxy s4 should not be allowed to be made.

Maybe this gravity box thing because apps don't seem to make them work.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Rooted my S3, is Gravity Box something available to me, or not because I am an unclean TouchWiz haver?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Evil Badman posted:

Rooted my S3, is Gravity Box something available to me, or not because I am an unclean TouchWiz haver?
It is, but a lot of things don't work on TW. Wanam Xposed does some similar stuff for TW ROMs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just checking in cause I haven't seen anything recently about it, how is CM11 for the Nexus 5 now? I know back in December people have had some issues with certain things but is it good enough for daily driver status?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Eej posted:

Just checking in cause I haven't seen anything recently about it, how is CM11 for the Nexus 5 now? I know back in December people have had some issues with certain things but is it good enough for daily driver status?

I run the nightlies and it's fine. It does do some wonky stuff if you're trying to use ADB with android studio/debugging in regards to claiming it's debuggable but never showing in ADB.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Eej posted:

Don't use CM.

Use Xposed/Gravity Box.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

datajosh posted:

It is, but a lot of things don't work on TW. Wanam Xposed does some similar stuff for TW ROMs.

I'm fine using the one on the market after I install the frame work right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Evil Badman posted:

I'm fine using the one on the market after I install the frame work right?
The framework includes links to the repo.