Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

I bought some guardsmen from eBay and the dude packed them with popcorn.
Popcorn's actually a really good packing material from what I remember about elementary school egg dropping contests.

You should eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Sex Cannon posted:

I bought some guardsmen from eBay and the dude packed them with popcorn.

Take pictures of yourself eating it. Naked except for the guardsmen conveniently censoring you.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The guy is talking out of his arse. The WD clearly states they are for use in standard 40k. Three or more can be taken as their own primary detachment.

Remember that GW considers Escalation to be "standard 40k". So if you aren't playing with Escalation - I would have a hard time including these as they require rules IN Escalation (or Apocalypse). So again, talk to your opponent ahead of time and figure out what type of game and what limitations (if any) you want to play with.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I guess we'll find out for sure when the codex comes out, but I really didn't get the impression that it was an Escalation unit from the article.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Ghost Hand posted:

Remember that GW considers Escalation to be "standard 40k". So if you aren't playing with Escalation - I would have a hard time including these as they require rules IN Escalation (or Apocalypse). So again, talk to your opponent ahead of time and figure out what type of game and what limitations (if any) you want to play with.

They require those rules, but at the same time they aren't Lords of War, so there's no special warlord table or victory points awarded for killing them. It's weird, and it's not clear, but I can see how Knights could be used without Escalation. But you should still talk ahead of time, or at least have an alternate list you can pull out if your opponent has zero chance against it.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

panascope posted:

Edit: oops I found the wrong thing

Here's the right one.

You're the best (after Kharn, of course). :glomp:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ghost Hand posted:

Remember that GW considers Escalation to be "standard 40k".

What other products do they consider standard?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ghost Hand posted:

Other than in their actual shops and tournaments, of course.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

Anything forgeworld with the 40k stamp. :can:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Post 9-11 User posted:

You're the best (after Kharn, of course). :glomp:

You owe it to yourself to read the Kharn fan-fiction though that I posted by mistake.

For those who have used superheavies, what ones are worth using from an Imperial standpoint? The Warhound looks loving awesome, is it as good as I think it is?

panascope fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I do hope Chaos gets access to Knights, or their version of Knights. Knowing GW, they'll be Knighs with fewer option and BS/WS 3, but a 5++ save.

Though I'd prefer it for them to get something more unique. Maybe a Greater Daemon Prince supplement to allow fielding the abominations that really eat planets and can go toe-to-toe with Wraithknights and Imperial Knights. Can't help feeling that the regular Daemon Princes are bit players in the current 40k meta.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
They might release a sprue, like for chaos vehicles, with spiky bits/ carapace and armour alternatives.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That guy from a while ago? Came back for his army.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Did he replace your big bug he broke? Or at least get banned from the store?

e: I just want to know if a grognard got griefed :unsmigghh:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Jesus, dude, don't leave us hanging!

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I would have kept his army as payment for his little outburst. loving hell what a total poo poo lord.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
My Haruspex wasn't damaged but he didn't know that. He got banned (I dunno if I'd ever seen him before anyway) and I exchanged the Haruspex he bought for a Carnifex.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So... would anyone feel like converting Warlocks and Farseers on jetbikes for me? I don't really have the modelling skills for this kind of thing (to make them look good). I'd commission just the modelling, the painting I want to do...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Sephyr posted:

I do hope Chaos gets access to Knights, or their version of Knights. Knowing GW, they'll be Knighs with fewer option and BS/WS 3, but a 5++ save.

Let's be fair. If GW does go that route, Chaos knights would also get IWND, demonforge, and possessed (though it would do nothing for them). GW is at least consistent like that.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fix posted:

I'm simply saying they don't seem to differentiate it like they have with Planetstrike and Cities of Death etc. However, my group does. We typically choose to play without the Escalation rules.

tasty food
Apr 29, 2010

Boon posted:

So... would anyone feel like converting Warlocks and Farseers on jetbikes for me? I don't really have the modelling skills for this kind of thing (to make them look good). I'd commission just the modelling, the painting I want to do...

I have been interested in a project like this, though I have very little conversion experience. PM me to talk about it more?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I thought there was that White Dwarf Daily where Jervis counted Escalation along with all the other expansions, like Cities of Death or what have you. That said, I think it's perfectly reasonable of someone to say no if you bring a superheavy. Just bring two lists; it's not like you don't have a bunch already.

Played a game tonight where the elements all conspired to help my Crimson Fists to victory. It was Hammer and Anvil and killpoints, and I was playing a fairly mobile and shooty army against a fairly static and point defense-centric Black Legion army. My dice were on fire, to the point where a Daemon Prince charged my Sternguard and got beaten back by their regular attacks and a power fist swing or two. I'd roll 7 dice and pass 6 armor saves, and my opponent would fail 5 out of 8. I think my positioning and army list really cinched the game for me, but god drat were the dice gods in my favor.

Go get em, boys!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
KR BULBACASE

4hrs of research, $20 for the box, $90 for the foam (clearance). Fits a few less models than a Kaiser3, 2 Sergeant Bags, or 1 Army Transport MK2. Cost includes a metal box I can take on airplanes and spare trays so I can swap my army list in and out.

gently caress overpriced foam companies.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ghost Hand posted:

I'm simply saying they don't seem to differentiate it like they have with Planetstrike and Cities of Death etc. However, my group does. We typically choose to play without the Escalation rules.

Yeah, I was just wondering if you'd heard of any of the other extra stuff being "standard" like the fighter aces or the stronghold assault thing. The kinds of things that might make it into a future core rulebook.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Squifferific posted:

They require those rules, but at the same time they aren't Lords of War, so there's no special warlord table or victory points awarded for killing them. It's weird, and it's not clear, but I can see how Knights could be used without Escalation. But you should still talk ahead of time, or at least have an alternate list you can pull out if your opponent has zero chance against it.

My biggest problem with the Knights is that they're setting a dangerous precedent. Whereas with Escalation it's at least playing lip service to the idea of balance with the Warlord table and the additional VP's, by not classifying Imperial Knights as Lords of War despite their SH status and S:D weapon GW is effectively removing what few advantages players not fielding SH's had. This also opens the door for other armies to start getting SH's and S:D weapons as a part of their base codexes, which can only serve to shatter what little balance remains in this broken game. I'm definitely not thrilled about it.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Cross-posting from the oath thread, because why not.

Brother Pabby, wielding the mighty Beerhammer!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My biggest problem with the Knights is that they're setting a dangerous precedent. Whereas with Escalation it's at least playing lip service to the idea of balance with the Warlord table and the additional VP's, by not classifying Imperial Knights as Lords of War despite their SH status and S:D weapon GW is effectively removing what few advantages players not fielding SH's had. This also opens the door for other armies to start getting SH's and S:D weapons as a part of their base codexes, which can only serve to shatter what little balance remains in this broken game. I'm definitely not thrilled about it.

I think there's a big difference between Knights and other superheavies, though- Knights are 13/12/12 and have six HP, which is well below the stats of pretty much any other Escalation/Apocalypse unit. An army of pure Knights does definitely give problems to many casual forces because it's putting a lot of armor in the enemy's face very quick, but that's not really much different at the basic level than a White Scars bike army, any kind of fully-mechanized force, Tyranid MC list, etc, etc. All of them focus heavily on a single strategy and for anyone who can't deal with that strategy, it is going to be a major problem.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm with Acebuckeye13. I'd feel better about things if Knights didn't exist in some nebulous space without any FOCs.

e: PBR marine owns. I would play dolls and drink pabst with you.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 28, 2014

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm really not that freaked out about Knights. I don't think they could weather my 30k army's fusillades. Lets put it this way, even if it is a Knight-Only army, its going to be flanked and surrounded. I don't have anything thats a monstrous creature for me to sweat getting crushed by the D strength.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Blacktoll posted:

I'm really not that freaked out about Knights. I don't think they could weather my 30k army's fusillades. Lets put it this way, even if it is a Knight-Only army, its going to be flanked and surrounded. I don't have anything thats a monstrous creature for me to sweat getting crushed by the D strength.

Yeah, the top tier stuff like Eldar/30k/Tau won't care at all but pretty sure an Ork, Daemon, Tyranid or Grey Knight list will just hand shake against a full Knight force.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
The worst part about the Knights is that it's quickly convincing me to field two Wraithknights. I'm becoming "that guy" :ohdear:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Sykic posted:

The worst part about the Knights is that it's quickly convincing me to field two Wraithknights. I'm becoming "that guy" :ohdear:

What's worse really: Being "that guy" who has to buy the biggest and most expensive things just to keep up with the game or being "that guy" who politely says, "Hey, I'd be more than happy to play a game but I don't want to play against Superheavies/Riptide Spam/[insert whatever thing you don't like], I don't really find it fun (maybe you do, it's just an example). Sorry." I mean, in a tournament comp setting you gotta roll with those punches and obviously this is all subjective; what combos I don't like may be completely acceptable to another person and that's okay. But in a casual competition setting? Play the game in a way both of you will enjoy equally, or at least try to find some happy medium, even if it means declining a game sometimes. Nobody likes getting completely steamrolled, and, as someone who is usually "The Steamroll", I'll dial my lists back sometimes because I play with friends and I don't want the game to turn into some miserable experience for the other player.

Some players might cry and moan "It's all "legal" in regular 40k" but the game is a form of entertainment first and foremost. Obviously some of these past codexes/dataslates have been met with mixed opinions and there's definitely no real forethought from the GW designers on how they would effect the game. If I bring my Daemons or Tyranids to a casual, semi-competitive setting and my opponent starts unpacking 4 or 5 Imperial Knights or a 5 Riptide army or 3/4 Wraithknights I'll more than likely just politely decline. I'll gladly accept a "challenging" game but some of the latest additions to the game are so game bending on a fundamental level/incredibly lopsided/obviously written with the sole intention of just selling models, that if I have absolutely no counter in my army against their units (which is a real issue for some codexes), why waste time playing if I know I won't enjoy it?

(Edits for grammar)

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 28, 2014

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pacheeco posted:

What's worse really: Being "that guy" who has to buy the biggest and most expensive things just to keep up with the game or being "that guy" who politely says, "Hey, I'd be more than happy to play a game but I don't want to play against Superheavies/Riptide Spam/[insert whatever thing you don't like], I don't really find it fun (maybe you do, it's just an example). Sorry." I mean, in a tournament comp setting you gotta roll with those punches and obviously this is all subjective; what combos I don't like may be completely acceptable to another person and that's okay, but in a casual setting? Play the game in a way both of you will enjoy equally, or at least try to find some happy medium, even if it mean's declining a game sometimes. Nobody likes getting completely steamrolled, and, as someone who is usually "The Steamroll", I'll dial my lists back sometimes because I play with friends and I don't want the game to turn into some miserable experience for the other player.

Some players might cry and moan "It's official in regular 40k!" or whatever but the game is a form of entertainment first and foremost. If I bring Daemons or Tyranids to a casual, semi-competitive setting and my opponent starts unpacking 4 or 5 Imperial Knights or a 5 Riptide army or 3/4 Wraithknights I'll more than likely just politely decline. I'll gladly accept a "challenging" game but some of the latest additions to to the game are so game bending on a fundamental level/incredibly lopsided/obviously written with the sole intention of just selling models, that if I have absolutely no counter in my army against their units (which is a potential real issue for some codexes), why waste time playing if you know you won't enjoy it?

I'm absolutely floored by people who don't get this. Outside of a Tournament setting there really isn't any point playing any game where you're just going to steamroll/get steamrolled. A lot of people seem to want you to setup your models just to concede so they can keep their Warseer sig w/l/d ratio honest. Or something.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I caved in and got ordered myself a Mk4 Strike Force to start the troops of my thousand sons.
So that's 22 marines on top of the three tanks and four rapiers that I have yet to paint beyond priming. May the resin gods have mercy and grant me their non-bendy absolution.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I saw that Tamiya m113 and thought it looked great, are there any other goon recommended alternatives for guard vehicles? After the codex drops in April I might consider converting up some chimeras. Nearly finished highlighting my entire army... It's been loving Exhausting. I have over two hundred assorted guardsmen and Marines. All those eye lenses.

ALL THE loving LENSES.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mango Polo posted:

I caved in and got ordered myself a Mk4 Strike Force to start the troops of my thousand sons.
So that's 22 marines on top of the three tanks and four rapiers that I have yet to paint beyond priming. May the resin gods have mercy and grant me their non-bendy absolution.

MK4 armor is so sexy. It's mostly what I'm going to use as well for 30K.
The only goofy thing about the armor is that I don't think there are eagle patterns on any of it for the EC.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I've decided to build an Imperial Navy task force that'll comprise of a Thunderbolt, maybe a couple of Vultures, Lightnings and Valkyries. A fun force for Apocalypse, it'll complement what I've done with my Ork Skwadron.

I already own a Marauder Bomber :smug:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Pacheeco posted:

What's worse really

Turns out it's on hold anyway, I just realised I'll have nowhere near enough room to carry them in my case. Dodged a bullet there :v:

Honestly the idea of taking 2 Wraithknights just feels wrong, the problem is that players around here seem more interested in finding the most broken units and rules possible. The day they were put up for pre-order I saw/heard 6 people express interest in a 5-Knight list, and I know some of them have already ordered 3. Basically what I'm saying is more UK hams need to come up north and play instead of hiding in London :argh:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Monoliths posted:

Cross-posting from the oath thread, because why not.

Brother Pabby, wielding the mighty Beerhammer!

This is seriously amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sykic posted:

Basically what I'm saying is more UK hams need to come up north and play instead of hiding in London :argh:

London is "up North" for me!

• Locked thread