Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Gimnbo posted:

Yeah I didn't feel this episode was as strong because I couldn't really do more than roll my eyes a lot at the stuff being read. These really sound like run of the mill nerds who got lucky in the human connection lottery and it's hard to poo poo on them too hard for doing what they want. The big moral of the episode, as Lemon says, is that if you have an open bar you can do whatever you want with your celebration.

There was also a pleasing lack of cake jokes in the stuff being read, or my mind autoblocked them.

Your mind has better content filters than mine, then.

There were two Portal jokes within twenty seconds of each other, one with cake (though it wasn't "the cake is a lie" at least), and that one was also followed with a callout to Portal in case anyone missed it.

I like this episode because it's not terrible, it's just mostly dumb, and I think there's a lot of good stuff you can do when your material is just dumb and annoying as opposed to actively infuriating or gross or fetishy or any combination of the three. Part of it also is how firmly all of these weddings hit the most obvious stereotypes of nerds. I agree with Lemon's sentiment that what most of these people needed was to focus, because their weddings were just a hodgepodge of references. (Twin Peaks wedding, while more focused, was dumb in a planned-by-a-marketing-executive way.) If you want to do a Skyrim wedding that's cool but when you have a Skyrim Wii Gears of Portal Fallout Carnival wedding and call people "bridesdudes" then you're being ridiculous and hence perfect fodder for ridiculists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad
I spoke to this a little bit in the episode comments already, but I'll speak to it here too. It's hard to articulate what makes someone cringe over the material, true, but here's what I came up with after giving it a think:

These tryhard gimmick nerd weddings exploit the social contract. A wedding is an event that people take off work for. It's an event people will fly hundreds of miles to attend. It's an event that generally reflects poorly on someone who turns down the invitation for non-essential reasons. Perhaps it's done so subconsciously, but these people picked up on the fact that a wedding provides not only a captive audience, but a captive audience expected to show an outward appearance of enjoying themselves and approving of the proceedings. Top it off with an event that's all about them, and you have a geeky fringe-appeal party legitimized by the broader social acceptance of the wedding part of it. A couple of the ones read about in the episode hardly seemed like weddings at all, like the wedding part was an afterthought to all the poo poo they actually wanted to do. The Harry Potter/ren-fair one illustrated this particularly well.

So now you have an event where 58-year-old Aunt Miriam is wearing a top hat with gears glued on it and drinking from a Mega Man E-tank mug while Uncle Bill is passed a microphone and feels pressure to talk about how awesome the bride and groom are even though the officiant already did so for a half hour at the ceremony (while dressed as Chris Redfield). It feels less like a wedding at that point and more like a micro-convention that two people successfully guilted their friends and family into populating.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

To put it shortly, these people are making weddings to show how nerdy and cool and quirky they are to other people. Like in most areas, if you're trying to show off how weird you are to other people, that's easily mockable. See: Troper Tales.

I wish you hadn't mentioned the steampunk wedding, because now I have to read it. Because I hate steampunk.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I like these episodes that are about ridiculous weird people doing silly things that don't really make much sense. These people are bordering on annoying and I feel bad for their grandparents having to put up with that stuff, but they're not really hurting everyone and it's just funny how unaware they are that it's nuts. At the end of the day, they're not really people I'm going to love to hate.

I can come away having laughed at crazy without really feeling like the world is a worse place and having an increase in my net hatred or disgust. It's great that the internet can showcase harmless people like Joan Ocean, a dude with a mario themed wedding, Ulillillia's and people who wear pyramids made from coat hangers. I think Lemon said in some episode or other that it was as much about celebrating the insanity the internet gives us access to as it was about mocking horrible things, and the weird harmless people make me feel better.

I hope people never stop playing guitar to their crystals.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
This one's filed into my 'flipping off the world' category. There were... a lot of times where I couldn't help but just go 'oh, gently caress you' and flip off thin air because these people were so insufferable. It's the same thing that permeates the Troper Tales episode and a couple others. This one's probably the least painful because at least they're not just making poo poo up and being angry at people, their happiness does at least lessen things.

It hurt a friend of mine for a different reason. These people are insufferable just to hear for a few minutes, how the gently caress did they find a marriage partner? Or two marriage partners, in that one case, although that one was probably the least bad. My thought there is that since the number of insufferable people in the world is >1, they're inevitably going to pair off if for no other reason than necessity.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
It never ceases to amaze me the degree to which people will identify themselves by the media they consume. Now I think it's a fairly normal human behaviour to do this to a certain extent (We bond with people over shared interests after all) but when you're saying to yourself "This is my wedding day: The one day in my life where I get to celebrate the union between me and the person I love...Let's make it all about this TV Show I like!" I think you're taking things way too far.

It's a really sad pitfall that a lot of nerdy types fall into: They don't seem to have an identity beyond the things they consume.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've just downloaded the wedding RPG and it's 449 megs. I am pumped for this whatever this is.

Also: I have a gap in my F Plus file folder between "The Otakindude Journal" and "Braking Bad: Allens Attack." What is this mythical fplus_out09 I cannot seem to find?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Squint posted:

I spoke to this a little bit in the episode comments already, but I'll speak to it here too. It's hard to articulate what makes someone cringe over the material, true, but here's what I came up with after giving it a think:

These tryhard gimmick nerd weddings exploit the social contract. A wedding is an event that people take off work for. It's an event people will fly hundreds of miles to attend. It's an event that generally reflects poorly on someone who turns down the invitation for non-essential reasons. Perhaps it's done so subconsciously, but these people picked up on the fact that a wedding provides not only a captive audience, but a captive audience expected to show an outward appearance of enjoying themselves and approving of the proceedings. Top it off with an event that's all about them, and you have a geeky fringe-appeal party legitimized by the broader social acceptance of the wedding part of it. A couple of the ones read about in the episode hardly seemed like weddings at all, like the wedding part was an afterthought to all the poo poo they actually wanted to do. The Harry Potter/ren-fair one illustrated this particularly well.

So now you have an event where 58-year-old Aunt Miriam is wearing a top hat with gears glued on it and drinking from a Mega Man E-tank mug while Uncle Bill is passed a microphone and feels pressure to talk about how awesome the bride and groom are even though the officiant already did so for a half hour at the ceremony (while dressed as Chris Redfield). It feels less like a wedding at that point and more like a micro-convention that two people successfully guilted their friends and family into populating.

I would agree with you except that I don't see any evidence of that in most of the weddings read in this episode. I looked at the photos of all of the weddings from the document, and for the most part they looked like a loving good time. Especially the apocalypse wedding and the big fat hand fasting - everyone there looked totally into it and were having a wonderful day. The classy Gaymer wedding looked like one I would LOVE to attend. It really was classy!

The only two that stuck out to me as dumb are the Warcraft wedding (which was cut from the episode I guess) and the Twin Peaks wedding. The former because they actually were playing WoW at the wedding (ugh gently caress you) and the latter because it was so half-assed.

That said, I DID enjoy this episode. I can enjoy poking fun at something while still loving it - like the Garfield fanfic episode. It's a wonderful document of pure joy, and it's perfect for F Plus. I laughed at the weddings because they are definitely cheesy and nerdy - and I'd still gladly attend most of them and have a grand time, unironically.

MooCowlian posted:

I like these episodes that are about ridiculous weird people doing silly things that don't really make much sense. These people are bordering on annoying and I feel bad for their grandparents having to put up with that stuff, but they're not really hurting everyone and it's just funny how unaware they are that it's nuts. At the end of the day, they're not really people I'm going to love to hate.

I can come away having laughed at crazy without really feeling like the world is a worse place and having an increase in my net hatred or disgust. It's great that the internet can showcase harmless people like Joan Ocean, a dude with a mario themed wedding, Ulillillia's and people who wear pyramids made from coat hangers. I think Lemon said in some episode or other that it was as much about celebrating the insanity the internet gives us access to as it was about mocking horrible things, and the weird harmless people make me feel better.

I hope people never stop playing guitar to their crystals.

Yeah, this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pretty much why I hate these things is I just imagine what are they going to say in fifty years when these pop culture things aren't things anymore.

Like, the reason 'traditional' (there's so loving much in there, there are so many ways to do a 'traditional' wedding) wedding sticks around in cultures is because it's a constant, and based on basic things. You make the bride look pretty, the groom looks respectable, your friends and family come together to celebrate your love, nothing else, just you two.

These weddings aren't that. These are celebrating their love AND Portal/Post Apocalyptic carnival/etc. So when you tell this story down the line you just have this weird out of place lump in your story.

Wedding themes are usually something very important to the couple, and something that pretty much is timeless. Like, I just went to a wedding where the theme was winter, that was the theme, because they met in winter and poo poo like that. When you tell that story in fifty or even ten years you don't have to explain 'winter' to someone, no one will go 'wait winter? What's that?' Your nana understands what winter is, she has a nice winter outfit to wear to a winter wedding that will make a very lovely photo she can show to her friends.

Also there's a lot of poo poo like the poly bullshit one that was 'we're two pagans and an agnostic and it was so hard to find a wedding to fit us' that's just, we get it you're special snowflakes, good for you, there's actually a lot of simple answers to this.

And I'm just gonna say it, if your relationship is so wrapped up in being identified as 'the gamer couple' or whatever, that's not a good thing. I'm a big dumb nerd who loves video games and D&D and wrestling and poo poo, but hopefully when I get married it'll be to a guy who I have more bond with than 'woah you like video games too!'

Beyond that there was just a ton of insufferable writing in those things. Like calling a band called the One Ups who play Metroid music 'subtly nerdy' and poo poo like getting money from your parents AND grandparents to buy a loving gamer barn wedding. That's just objectively insufferable and dumb.

They're not MRAs or whatever, they're not hurting anyone, but they're posting this poo poo in public and it's fair game to snicker at it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I love this kind of episode, mostly because I prefer the ones about people who are just loving idiots rather than the ones who are (maliciously or otherwise) broken as hell. The ones you want to slap rather than the ones you want to die. They're also kind of a relief, a fart joke in the middle of a black comedy.

Also I just love the episodes where everyone keeps bursting out into laughter. It never gets old hearing people just lose their poo poo like that.

KingKalamari posted:

It never ceases to amaze me the degree to which people will identify themselves by the media they consume.
I totally used to be one of those people. Then I turned 17.

e:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

They're not MRAs or whatever, they're not hurting anyone, but they're posting this poo poo in public and it's fair game to snicker at it.
Yeah, this. They're not evil, they're just dumb, and sometimes it's fun to laugh at dumbasses.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Djeser posted:

To put it shortly, these people are making weddings to show how nerdy and cool and quirky they are to other people. Like in most areas, if you're trying to show off how weird you are to other people, that's easily mockable. See: Troper Tales.

Exactly. These people can be summed up as, "Look at me, I'm quirky! Look! Look, please! I'm quirky! Daddy, look! Daddy! Daddy?"

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

echopapa posted:

Exactly. These people can be summed up as, "Look at me, I'm quirky! Look! Look, please! I'm quirky! Daddy, look! Daddy! Daddy?"

So...exactly like a non-nerd wedding.

Really, I don't see much difference between forcing your guests to humor you and your Gears of War cog rings and forcing them to fly out of the country and put themselves up in a lavish hotel as a tribute to your excess. Or telling your guests you want cash instead of presents. Or insisting your guests or parents pay for your $3000 dress.

Admittedly, less funny for an episode of The F-Plus.

But yea, there's a reason most people hate going to weddings. Frankly, I think I'd rather just get the piece of paper with my parents looking on, and send everyone I care about the photos. Then they can be happy for me and send their congratulations without being compelled to lose time and money to it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rebochan posted:

Really, I don't see much difference between forcing your guests to humor you and your Gears of War cog rings and forcing them to fly out of the country and put themselves up in a lavish hotel as a tribute to your excess.
Well one solid part of it is that it's yet another layer of self-indulgence on top of the layer inherent to the entire thing. And it's one thing to do a themed wedding because the theme is meaningful to you and your partner, it's a whole other thing to then feel compelled to rub everyone's faces in it at every turn. Like, I'll bet there are plenty of other weddings on that site that were basically fine, where the people involved had a sense of perspective and the ability to empathize with others.

e: Also holy poo poo I don't even. The people that go to your wedding aren't there in "a tribute to your excess", they're there because they loving love you and want to celebrate a big milestone in your life with you! I'm totally ambivalent about actually being at weddings, but drat man, that's a super cynical attitude to take.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 27, 2014

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

TetsuoTW posted:

e: Also holy poo poo I don't even. The people that go to your wedding aren't there in "a tribute to your excess", they're there because they loving love you and want to celebrate a big milestone in your life with you! I'm totally ambivalent about actually being at weddings, but drat man, that's a super cynical attitude to take.

They are a tribute to your excess if you demand they blow a lot of cash on you just to feel good about yourself though. It's one thing to be respectful of your guests, it's another to treat them as props.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess if you have no respect for the institution, and expect others to have equally low expectations, then there isn't any issue with turning it into a farce. However, in that case why not just forego the wedding completely and save everybody a lot of trouble.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's more about fixating on some dumbass flash in the pan aspect of pop culture to the point that it will figure centrally in your loving wedding of all things. There were at least two mentions of Plants vs Zombies for god's sake.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And that, yeah. I can imagine 50 years from now the former nerds looking at their wedding photos and saying "Gears of War? Do you remember what that is, dear?" "No, I don't, Jeff. Must have bee something important, though."

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
50 years from now they won't be married. I imagine people who do weird zany weddings like these tend to jump ship once the new wears off.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, my issues were the aforementioned captive audience one, and the "timelessness" one. Imagine if your parents had a Mork and Mindy wedding, that would have been the dumbest loving thing. It's not immoral, it's just flagrantly stupid.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
Well, on one hand I've gone to a costume party as Tony Stark, so I can't say anything, but on the other hand it wasn't a formal event that people's parents flew out to. These people could (theoretically) throw their own goddamn nerd party on another night, if it's that important to them.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I'd like to thank everyone who pointed out why this poo poo wasn't simply just nerds having fun. I've never had to fly out for a wedding so I get it now. A courthouse wedding followed by a debaucherous Comic-Con honeymoon probably would be a better use of everyone's time and money.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I just can't fathom anyone deciding that like, Fallout is that important to their life. Like, is that the most interesting thing you've ever engaged with? You poor motherfucker.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

BKPR posted:

I just can't fathom anyone deciding that like, Fallout is that important to their life. Like, is that the most interesting thing you've ever engaged with? You poor motherfucker.

I can understand and appreciate having some nods to how you met and became close in your wedding. In the City of Heroes community there's actually been multiple stories of COH-themed cake toppers and such because that's how the couple met.

It's acceptable when it's a cute nod to something important, I think. It shouldn't go beyond that, though, you shouldn't be revolving your entire wedding around a TV show, book or video game, and I think you should take a long, hard look at yourself and your relationship when you do.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
are we to assume these people aren't in touch with their older relatives as well? The idea of someone's grandma at a mustachioed/Fallout wedding makes me a little sad. We didn't even have assigned seating at mine and my grandmother didn't really know what to do.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

HipGnosis posted:

are we to assume these people aren't in touch with their older relatives as well? The idea of someone's grandma at a mustachioed/Fallout wedding makes me a little sad. We didn't even have assigned seating at mine and my grandmother didn't really know what to do.

Take a look at the photos of the Fallout wedding: http://offbeatbride.com/2013/12/ontario-apocalyptic-wedding

Their parents are in the front row and have giant smiles on their faces. Is it so weird to think that it might have been a really enjoyable wedding, even for the family members that aren't into that subculture?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah it's weird.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

I really don't find it that weird. Either way you're subjecting your entire family to a long event that only tangentially concerns them, at least this way it's got a cool aesthetic and extremely high production values to keep things interesting.

They should, of course, be laughed at, but everything should be laughed at.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Cool aesthetics and high production value"

That's one way to put it *snicker*

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think they probably think it's a bit dumb but don't really care because unlike the couple, they realise they're chiefly there to celebrate a neat thing happening and have a big family/friends party.

It's quite easy to say it's moronic and ruins everything from a detached, podcast listening state, but I wouldn't mind betting that the vast majority of the people there don't know and don't care too much about Fallout/Steampunk/Whateverthefuck and are mostly concerned with the bride and groom having the wedding they want. It'll be an interesting story about how they had a wedding in a bunker with nerf guns, not an "ugh, let's hide the fact it was video game themed."

Yeah, it's weird to include He-Man in the wedding, but at the end of that day I don't think anyone is really paying attention to that poo poo. Let them have their weird theme, we can laugh at it and I kind of doubt the family care that much that the remote control helicopter delivering the rings crashed. It's a funny story, and I reckon the families of these people are hardly big on traditional, classic stuff anyway.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I just feel if you're going to do something as serious and big as get married you shouldn't treat it like comic-con or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I just feel if you're going to do something as serious and big as get married you shouldn't treat it like comic-con or something.

Yea like, you can have a comic book party whenever you want, those are fun, but you (hopefully) have just one wedding, so maybe put some loving effort into it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea like, you can have a comic book party whenever you want, those are fun, but you (hopefully) have just one wedding, so maybe put some loving effort into it.

The thing is, this is a lot of effort. The ones where they just went to a renfair are poo poo, but I'd say that fallout one seems pretty well thought through. You can have a comic book party, but I don't think you'll get one you can spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars perfecting. They're silly and weird, but I can't really agree it's a wasted opportunity and a choice they were wrong to make.

Honestly, I'm kind of happy that there are people who are willing to go against tradition and celebrate the way they want with the opportunity. It makes the world a stranger and more interesting place.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MooCowlian posted:

The thing is, this is a lot of effort. The ones where they just went to a renfair are poo poo, but I'd say that fallout one seems pretty well thought through. You can have a comic book party, but I don't think you'll get one you can spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars perfecting. They're silly and weird, but I can't really agree it's a wasted opportunity and a choice they were wrong to make.

Honestly, I'm kind of happy that there are people who are willing to go against tradition and celebrate the way they want with the opportunity. It makes the world a stranger and more interesting place.

Explain exactly how this is going against 'tradition' because that's actually the most insufferable part of this. This is still a traditional marriage ceremony it just has a lovely post apocalypse wrapper on it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I can't respect people whose ideas of "going against tradition" is to randomly put stickers of the latest best selling video games / movies on everything. That's just tacky and appalling consumerism, honestly. I kinda appreciated the electrotechnician wedding because those people actually celebrated a persistent, timeless passion and a symbol of their aspirations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

If you want to go against tradition, get married in some civil servant's office and then go out drinking with your friends.

Replace "go out drinking with your friends" with whatever nerd thing you do, you goony fucks. Get married and then go to a con dressed up as Cecil and Rosa from Final Fantasy and go to the nerd rave with your cosplaying buddies where the DJ plays a trance remix of the Final Fantasy prelude.

If you turn it into a "nerd wedding" to go against tradition, all you're saying is that you want to go against tradition, but you're too uncreative to do anything but stick pixels and Portal jokes onto the tradition.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

The big issue for me is how boring the poo poo they base the weddings around are. If a Final Fantasy game is important enough to you to make it part of the event that (presumably) marks the biggest transition of your life, you're an idiot. What the hell have you been doing with your time that this is THE THING?

coolskull fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 1, 2014

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Like a lot of the content in The F Plus it really just comes down to an unhealthy obsession with some dumb video game or TV show. True, these people aren't so broken that they have make believe cartoon friends/lovers/wives but it's still completely ridiculous.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Look, I know someone that likes Supernatural. To make it better, she's one of those sorts, that reads that sort of fanfiction. She's even been to some sort of Supernatural convention in Vegas.

If she has a viewing party at her house, I can (and have before) tell her to get hosed because I'm not going over there to sit still, stare at a screen, and listen to her loving ships and feels for an evening. Let's say she has a wedding, and decides to make it Supernatural themed. I'm now damned if I do and damned if I don't: if I care enough about her, I don't want to miss her wedding, that's hopefully a once in a lifetime thing and I'd like to support her. But holy poo poo, I'm not sure how I'd keep from reacting physically in the church if her and Mr. Groom were dressed up as Sam and Dean except with tails because apparently wolf loving is a thing to Supernatural nerds and the officiant had hugeass angel wings and a trench coat and they were reading something off from the show.

That's what it was for me, trapping your friends and family and forcing them into your dumbassery for a day. Also, the fact that you were committing dumbassery in the first place.

I loving loved this episode by the way.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
I think that some posters in this thread are taking this way too seriously. The F Plus making fun of someone doesn't necessarily mean that these people deserve revulsion. It's less of a "look at these terrible creepy people" and more "haha look at these nerds". Or more specifically, as Yahtzee put it, "these people are to nerds what nerds are to normal people" :v:

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Therion posted:

I think that some posters in this thread are taking this way too seriously. The F Plus making fun of someone doesn't necessarily mean that these people deserve revulsion. It's less of a "look at these terrible creepy people" and more "haha look at these nerds". Or more specifically, as Yahtzee put it, "these people are to nerds what nerds are to normal people" :v:

My only disappointment in the episode is that I guess I just didn't find them outrageous enough. Just being a "nerd wedding" is kind of mundane to me though the woman bragging about grabbing her husband's butt all the time was creepy as hell. And I'm still cursing that I googled Extreme Elvis and now I have to know what that is oh god my mind

Whatever, on the upside, I finally listened to the Roy Orbison episode and really, REALLY regret not having done so sooner. The adventure game at the end of the episode just slays me.