Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Some Guy TT posted:

Just a few minutes ago at the library I saw an adult and some kids trying to find a movie to watch (this being a movie library). They eventually settled on Iron Man, because it was something they had all heard of, though the girl wasn't happy. It occurred to me that, at a library where you have to paw through the stacks physically and look at lots of bright DVD box art, they would have been less likely to fixate on the popular pop culture reference. Digital distribution may theoretically have everything, but the reality is you're not going to pay attention to most of it because it would never occur to you search for weirdly specific stuff.

edit: ...and my last run through someone else was watching Coraline with her daughter so who the hell knows. That's the problem with random anecdotes.

Yep, as I said before, to me it seems more likely you would find a "surprise" book when you're more or less forced to browse through a bunch of them in search of something you're actually after. I mean, yes, I guess there is a "digital equivalent" like Youtube "suggesting" videos based on what you've watched before, or Amazon "suggesting" books based on what you've purchased, but to me it's not the same. I distinctly remember two books that I checked out, read, and thoroughly enjoyed simply because I stumbled across them while looking for something else.

A strain of bacteria, developed by man, accidentally released into the wild, THAT loving EATS EVERY TYPE OF PLASTIC EVER!!?? Just imagine all the plastic insulation on every wire, everywhere, suddenly being dissolved. :v:

And this one:

Which I've read, like, 5 times and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It's an amazingly fascinating, addicting, and enigmatic story.

Anyway, speaking of not being able to "wrap one's head around" something... here's Jane's World? :wtf:?

Non Sequitur

Aw, pour Eddie another shot, I want to hear how this ends.

Heavenly Nostrils is still the 26th's.

Kliban's Cats

:3: Check out the wallpaper. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/27/2003

Speaking of enigmatic. What?

Zits

I don't blame you one bit, Jeremy. I've tried Eggplant every possible way it can be prepared, and it still tastes like poo poo to me. Bleh.

Kevin & Kell

Ah yes, the tree who talks through an intercom. So loving weird.

Nemi

:v:

E: Oh, and Borden, :wth:

Beautifuly seizure inducing! :golfclap:

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

I don't blame you one bit, Jeremy. I've tried Eggplant every possible way it can be prepared, and it still tastes like poo poo to me. Bleh.

But.. but.. moussaka..

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's almost self-parody now.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Much love to Fok_It, which has rapidly become one of my favorites in the thread.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

My Lovely Horse posted:

This makes as much sense to me as any other Jill strip.

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

You're supposed to implant it under their skin so if they want it out they have to cut it out White Mountains style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKZujGZi0I

Momma's son presumably has a developmental disorder.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

shmee posted:

But.. but.. moussaka..

Ok, I'll give you that. But, in moussaka's case, it's the fact that the hummus component overpowers the eggplant. :smug:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Pluggers

Uh, what?
Pluggers are old.

(Old men tend to lose the hair on their shins, especially if they often wear socks and/or long pants.)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (December 9, 1926)

Peanuts gives us escalating dread. (March 2, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean is doing planks today, which is appropriate, because he still looks like a stiff.

Popeye

Yep, another day of lynching babies without a jury trial. The missus doesn't even look me in the eye anymore...

Rip Haywire

The Highwayman's a lot less eloquent when he's not menacing you in person.

Pogo (March 1, 1956)

Out Our Way

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

My Lovely Horse posted:

A flashforward to a flashback, I think possibly still within one or two layers of original flashback? In any case, a stunning achievement in permutation of chronology.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
A Utilikilt is probably the gayest thing that's happened in Jane's World.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Endless Mike posted:

If you want to annoy the bartenders, ask them to make you a Queen Vic.

I had the pleasure of listening to a Real British Lady complain that the Sticky Toffee Pudding wasn't right, even though A)the owners are from the UK and B) it was delicious.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Green Intern posted:

I had the pleasure of listening to a Real British Lady complain that the Sticky Toffee Pudding wasn't right, even though A)the owners are from the UK and B) it was delicious.

There's only one right way to make any british food and it's the way your gran made it.

'From the UK' includes an alarming number of the wrong kind of people.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

This is insufferable.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

sassassin posted:

There's only one right way to make any british food and it's the way your gran made it.

'From the UK' includes an alarming number of the wrong kind of people.

She may have said something about her gran, actually. It was a while ago.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Endless Mike posted:

Cocktails have at least three ingredients. If there's just two, it's a mixed drink. There's lots of beer cocktails that are quite tasty. This bar here in DC has a few on the menu that are very good.

Those all look like cider cocktails, not beer.

I've only ever heard of one beer cocktail, it's called The Billy. Picked it up from some engineering students years ago, so it's explicitly designed to get you hosed up in a hurry. You take a pint glass, throw in a shot of rye, a shot of amaretto, an entire bottle of coors light, and then a splash of orange juice to cover.

It sounds disgusting, but it somehow adds up to make a lovely little sipper with the alcohol equivalent of three drinks. Don't try to chug it unless puking up the first drink of the night was somehow part of your Master Plan Comix.

Pooch Café

For those who came in late, here's the storyline that led to this: http://www.gocomics.com/poochcafe/2007/05/28#.Uw9mJoXLK8E

Ballard Street

I do this sometimes. Both these things.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

LvK posted:

Much love to Fok_It, which has rapidly become one of my favorites in the thread.

It's odd how I used to dislike it in Finnish but now it has really grown on me. I guess the original version is an acquired taste because, unlike most Finnish strips, people are talking like in real life instead of using proper grammar. Translations also help to spot several stealth puns that make some Monkey Cheesey strips feel less LOL-Random.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

And with that one incredibly weak argument, Binkley's new-found care for other life-forms is restored to the status quo.

Remember when soda companies could use celebrity endorsements in US advertising?

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Geech is a strip by Jerry Bittle (who did Shirley And Son), and it features unattractive people, just like real life.

I remember loving this strip as a kid, simply because the art style gave the characters such a sense of personality. Aside from that, it's pretty much a slice-of-life strip, with story arcs generally topping out the drama at 'going on a fishing trip' (from what I remember).

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps clogs EVERYTHING.

It occurs to me that I don't think I've ever read a subpar Creeps comic.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean is doing planks today, which is appropriate, because he still looks like a stiff.

Oh, like it's worth it to stay fit in the Funky Winkerbean universe. Just get fat and die before the cancer comes.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Ok, I'll give you that. But, in moussaka's case, it's the fact that the hummus component overpowers the eggplant. :smug:

I find the trick to good eggplant, however you cook it, is to salt and rinse it beforehand. The salt leeches out most of the bitterness in the fruit, leaving a good savory flavor.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It helps if you bread it, pan-fry it, and serve it with chunky sugo and gobs of cheese.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Anyway, speaking of not being able to "wrap one's head around" something... here's Jane's World? :wtf:?

I think that's supposed to be a Workman, though Paige got the central flap and pockets all wrong. Regardless, drat that's a fine Utilikilt.

(I used to work for the company in their warehouse)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 28, 2014

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps clogs EVERYTHING.

So good.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

... by mistake my sisters have burned down the house...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Oh boy, another crossover! :v:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/25/2003

What chins??

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- The greatest leaders often spoke with their hands
- Citizens

Both "on their hands" and "with their hands" use the adessive case.

Ho-hum

Fok_It

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

I can't get drunk at brunch on this!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

They're really not doing this halfway, are they? The Home Secretary at this time was Robert Carr in Edward Heath's Cabinet. Two years earlier his house was bombed by the IRA, here's a news clip of him describing what happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsvxGwuRYAQ

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, I got it. This comic is just like a really, really lovely version of Transmetropolitan. It all makes sense now.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail does in fact have a fanbase who cheers for the main characters as deplorable as that sounds.

The same can be said of Luann. It's really weird.

Luann

I'm not a big tea drinker, but I like it on occasion and I know it's not dull. We've just had pages and pages about how cool libraries are, surely somebody who knows more than I do can come in here and defend tea's honor!

Nothing wrong with being a sensible person. Prefering to think things through doesn't doom you to become a Gunther or a Miss Phelps. I don't like Luann at the best of times, but today it's making me resentful. :mad:

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Has Alice always been characterized as an office fuckup? I never noticed it before.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Our hero. :allears:

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Since Marcelo took over, yeah.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kammat posted:

They're really not doing this halfway, are they? The Home Secretary at this time was Robert Carr in Edward Heath's Cabinet. Two years earlier his house was bombed by the IRA, here's a news clip of him describing what happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsvxGwuRYAQ

Your link says it was an Anarchist group called The Angry Brigade, not an IRA.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lately I've been reading Luann backwards, right to left. I'm not sure if it ends up making the comic any better, but it makes it less understandable, so I'd say it's an improvement. I think I'll keep doing that from now on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Is anyone else looking at certain Wee Pals and thinking "I hope this is/is not the one he goes out on"?
Because this would be a great one to go out on.

Julet Esqu posted:

Nothing wrong with being a sensible person. Prefering to think things through doesn't doom you to become a Gunther or a Miss Phelps. I don't like Luann at the best of times, but today it's making me resentful. :mad:

Feeling a little defensive, are we?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Feeling a little defensive, are we?

Absolutely

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Julet Esqu posted:

The same can be said of Luann. It's really weird.

Luann

I'm not a big tea drinker, but I like it on occasion and I know it's not dull. We've just had pages and pages about how cool libraries are, surely somebody who knows more than I do can come in here and defend tea's honor!
I'm no expert, but my son is pretty knowledgeable, and when he blends and brews it, tea rules. Got probably 20 different loose teas in the cupboard right now. And got three little Camellia sinensis growing in the guest room window. :)

Julet Esqu posted:

It's pretty heavy-handed at the best of times but today's is extra obnoxious. Isn't the daughter writing the strip now? I wonder if this one sounded better in her head than it looks on paper - maybe she meant it to be a little bit ironic instead of OTT. (If so, it didn't work.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Julet Esqu posted:

If anyone badmouths tea I'll fight them irl

Used to be I didn't like tea at all. Then I realized that there's a world of difference between squeezing cheap teabags into water that's been boiling way too long and proper tea. If it's dull you're drinking it wrong.

• Locked thread