Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Wasn't he just a jobber with an incredibly insulting gimmick?

He was portrayed as the mentally disabled nephew of Eric Bischoff. It was amazingly offensive, even given some of the other amazingly offensive poo poo the WWE has pulled in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Check it out, folks.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

And the AV Club's quality and relevance sink lower and lower from greatness...

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Check out the selection of stories they've chosen for demonstrating their literary science:

quote:

Star Wars
Mass Effect
Dilbert
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Death Note
Firefly
Wall-E
Ghostbusters

For something that invites you to "Get this table as a poster for writing inspiration!", they don't seem to be interested in any actual books.

Tropers' reference pools may be narrow, but they're not about to let the media get away with having Small Reference Pools!

Small Reference Pools posted:

Gundam is the only Humongous Mecha anime show you can count on anybody knowing about. Depending in the country, people may or will know about or have heard of Super Dimension Fortress Macross (or Robotech), Go Lion (or Voltron), Mazinger Z (or Tranzor Z), Great Mazinger, UFO Robo Grendizer (or Grandizer, Goldorak or Goldrake), Getter Robo (or Starvengers), Kotetsu Jeeg (or El Vengador), Combattler V, Voltes V, Daimos (or Starbirds), Neon Genesis Evangelion, and newer Mecha Shows will often include cameos or shout-outs to any of them. The rest of Humongous Mecha series are mostly known to anime mecha fans, only.

Haha, those dummies only know maybe a dozen giant robot animes, don't they know there's a whole world out there they haven't discovered? :smug:

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 26, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I came to this thread to post that. The comment section full of people talking about how TV Tropes is awesome is just icing on the cake.

Edit: ^^^ What? They would expect people to know Gundam? Better get ready for disappointment then.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Haha, those dummies only know maybe a dozen giant robot animes, don't they know there's a whole world out there they haven't discovered? :smug:

Gundam's massively influential to the genre and all, but expecting that you can count on people having heard of it is pretty loving hilarious.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

As with the last time I saw it, the chemical formulae are the dumbest part.

Ghostbusters = Five Man Band + Mad Scientist + Sealed Evil In A Can + Hilarity Ensues
Water = Hydrogen + Oxygen

Totally the same thing, right?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I remember the only time I've seen HILARITY ENSUES on a real VHS box it was on my copy of Death of Mr Lazarescu, which is a Romanian film about an elderly man who slowly dies of a brain aneurysm.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'll defend making pages and what have you for jobbers. As a kid a lot of my favorite wrestlers were jobbers (THE BARBARIAN!) and it's nice that someone remembers them and records fun stuff they did.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

This is the same site that posts 900-word reviews of every individual Adventure Time episode, so I can't say I'm terribly surprised.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Now if only someone made a periodic table that removed all the TVTropes garbage and had links to much better articles it would actually be good.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Random Stranger posted:

The swirling cloud of Lovecraft followers (as opposed to the Lovecraft circle who got lumped together by those followers) is actually kind of interesting in a "fan fiction goes professional" kind of way. August Derleth was painfully bad; he would be a troper if he was around today.

Derleth wrote unbelievably lovely Sherlock Holmes fanfic also. Except he published it as the adventures of Solar Pons and Dr. Parker, because copyright.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Are we talking about an Internet review Fandom here? I don't understand what this epic these people are lamenting the loss of is.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The reviews in question weren't even that good. They were pretty much word for word copy-and-pasted from a guy on a site called Bulbagarden. The guys even admitted as such in one of their "commentaries." Doesn't help that the guy in question was also pretty loving crazy.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Clochette posted:

That sultry feather duster was asking for it. :colbert:

Kidding, but does this seem weird to anyone else? This person keeps bringing up the fact that Lumiere, Babette's love interest, was angered by the assault as proof that it's a rape metaphor. I think most people would be upset if they saw their partner being attacked, regardless if it was a sexual assault.

I'm just hoping they don't speculate about the symbolism of Lumiere retaliating by puffing out flames and burning the guy on the bum. The mind boggles.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

The reviews in question weren't even that good. They were pretty much word for word copy-and-pasted from a guy on a site called Bulbagarden.

The same Bulbagarden that's basically "Wikipedia with Pokemon"?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Penny Paper posted:

The same Bulbagarden that's basically "Wikipedia with Pokemon"?

Bulbapedia is a part of Bulbagarden, so yes kind of.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

For something that invites you to "Get this table as a poster for writing inspiration!", they don't seem to be interested in any actual books.

They're interested in books: comic books, manga, 50 billion-word fantasy series, but actual classic and contemporary lit, nah. Even if they try to include pages about classic lit, it would still be a hollow attempt at being more than just a Buffy fansite mixed in with Wikipedia at its worst.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The irony is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having that as your focus. The problem lies with the fact that they have these delusions of grandeur about being the premier site for blah blah blah must categorise more pony fanfic. The site as a whole knows exactly what it is, and rather than embrace it, they seek to temper it with another bare bones article about Virginia Woolf.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel a strange sense of deja vu, as if this same conversation has been had across multiple threads while remaining the same and it is getting boring as gently caress.

Bolt The Pikachu posted:

What would happen if Sonichu was... good?
This is not that answer, but it's the closest one we've got. At least that's what the author thinks. Our story starts out upon the little village of Yellow forest, inhabited by little adorable creatures called Pikachu. All of them named Pikachu for some reason. Most of there hobbies involve running with sharp objects, doing back flips into the local shallow pond, and having staring contests with Bob. That last one doesn't seem to bad until you realize that they named the sun Bob.
Anyway, This story focuses on one Pikachu in particular. You see today is his wedding day. He's getting married to a beautiful female Pikachu. Today is going to be the best day of his life, right?
Wrong.
The alien race known as the Kragdor abduct him and inject him with DNA of several different races, Although, it's mainly Mobian. He reacts unwell to the sudden DNA interjection, and almost kills all of the aliens on the ship and himself. Until of course, a man named T saves him by taking him to the interverse and allow him to stabilize there. After the Pikachu is stabilized he is brought back to his home village. But he is not welcomed back with a smile. In fact, He is outright rejected by his little home village. Everyone hates him. Even his fiance Pikachu. No one wants a freak like that around, right?
Not exactly. The man who rescued him, T, offers him something. A sort of job. T works for God Himself as a Guardian of sorts. His latest job is trying to take down the Kragdor and their leader, the Dictator, from taking over the Multiverse. Anyways, T offers the Pokémobian, to come with him to help take down the Dictator. The Pikachu, having nowhere else to go, takes T up on his offer and renames himself Bolt.

This is a goldmine guys.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Maremidon posted:

This is a goldmine guys.

Clicking the "open/close all folders" button repeatedly and watching the scroll bar go from chunky to ant-sized is so loving funny.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fuego Fish posted:

Clicking the "open/close all folders" button repeatedly and watching the scroll bar go from chunky to ant-sized is so loving funny.

It's the little things that make life worth living.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bolt The Pikachu posted:

An inauspicious opening.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Maremidon posted:

This is not that answer, but it's the closest one we've got.
Wrong. Asperchu is the actual, correct answer.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Here's a list of every time somebody says "yes".

quote:

In Black Knight 2000, the Choir of Angels sing "YEAH!" whenever the player gets an extra ball, or wins the Match Sequence.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

this has probably been pointed out already but on their Something Awful page

quote:

A Darker Me: It's a joke on Something Awful that every goon is a nerdy, overweight "neckbeard" in Real Life. Individual goons, however, tend to make up obvious lies about how awesome they are for the fun of it.
>projection.txt

:allears:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
From what I understand that page is very based on pre-2008 SA, which is different from SA now.

And then these threads happened, so you're basically never gonna get an unbiased opinion of SA from TvTropes.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

lmao just click on any of those unfinshed projects.

Forever The Strangest Dream - a Yume Nikki fangame (I don't know what that means)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/ForeverTheStrangestDream

The Dream in question ends halfway through.

Also:

quote:

The Cameo - Possibly the darkest version ever. The sadistic doctor (Dr. Greyyman) you've spent the entire second half of the game fighting? Yeah, he's an AI, formerly called The Dream Emulator. He transports you to The Violence District for the final part of the game. His true form? The Goddamn Grey Man.

quote:

Meaningful Name: If you're familiar with games of this sort, you just might be able to figure out who Dr. Greymann really is.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tropers wish they could make something as unsettling and creepy as LSD: Dream Emulator (what the Grey Man is from, for anyone who didn't know).

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/TheDiriginaut

Here is a completely unwritten story with 35 tropes already detailed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maremidon posted:

BOLT THE PIKACHU

Oh, God, the tropes list here is a goldmine:

Sure, buddy posted:

Author Avatar: Like in the "Original" Sonichu comic, The author of this story has himself in the comic and has near unlimited powers. Unlike Sonichu The Author Avatar is not named after the author himself, Has a completely different back-story then the author and is actually likable.

Does the concept of a Five Man Band even work when you have multiple people in each slot? posted:

Five-Man Band

The Hero: Bolt/Treecko
The Lancer: Amprissa/Treecko/Mewtwo
The Smart Guy: Angelica/Mewtwo
The Big Guy: Chanlee
The Chick: Bubbles/Amprissa
Sixth Ranger: Blake/Mewtwo
The Team Benefactor: T/Tenebrea

Oh sweet Jesus posted:

Luke, I Am Your Father: The Dictator is Bolt's, and by extension, most of the Chaotic Combos', father. He was responsible for their mutation into Pokémobians. It later turns out that he is secretly Christian Weston Chandler and his motives behind mutating them were to turn them into expy's of the Sonichu cast. This is later Subverted, by Bolt saying that Christian created Sonichu, and he is not Sonichu. He is Bolt.

At this point, the only thing sadder than CWC is a random Internet dude trying to "zing" CWC by writing his own lovely "parody" of Sonichu, complete with lame self-inserts... and the only thing sadder than that is someone who can't even be bothered to write the loving thing.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

At this point, the only thing sadder than CWC is a random Internet dude trying to "zing" CWC by writing his own lovely "parody" of Sonichu, complete with lame self-inserts... and the only thing sadder than that is someone who can't even be bothered to write the loving thing.

To be fair, I think it'd be a hell of a lot sadder if he did spend hours and hours writing it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

psy_wombats posted:

To be fair, I think it'd be a hell of a lot sadder if he did spend hours and hours writing it.

I agree that it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, but the dude put in the effort to write a drat TVTropes page for it and has already clearly exerted substantial mental effort into this thing. Failing to write it after doing that is at least something of a failure.

Anyway, I'm not even sure if I can quote anything from this: "Pokemon rear end Version." Surprisingly not sexually exploitative... well, maybe sexually exploitative? It implies that the player character is the bastard rape-baby of evil Professor Oak, so a little bit sexually exploitative. There's generally a heaping helping of grimdark combined with a heaping helping of "I'm gonna FIX POKEMON MECHANICS, you guys!"

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
The "Edit banned/Suspended - would like to edit again." thread is just hilarious.

quote:

Hello, I've been banned from editing and I would like editing privileges reinstated. I am aware of the reason that I was banned (it was due to a Chrome plugin that changes the word 'cloud' to 'butt' - I have since removed this plugin from my browser) and promise that I will never make a mistake like that ever again. This incident was a complete accident on my part and I mean the pages that I have accidentally vandalized, as well as this site in general, no harm.

Thank you, Ned Zeppelin

quote:

"Alright, that's enough forever from Soban. Creepiest thing I've ever read posing as a "prayer." Soban has nothing of value for us to hear and is banned from these forums."

I need a more in depth explanation of my ban. Thank you!

quote:

I am very sorry that I came across as rude, condescending, and insulting. I was attempting to open up a deep and important aspect of my faith for criticism in what I thought was an appropriate thread for the criticism that I wanted to receive. It was not my goal to be rude to my fellow poster, to condescend to them, nor to insult them by sharing a prayer of blessing over them and then open that prayer for criticism so that I could pray for them more effectively. I genuinely believed and was trying to be respectful of them. I know that in my experience, if someone from a different faith wanted to bless me, I would accept it in the spirit it was being offered, even if I disagreed with their religion.

In short, I was not attempting to be rude, condescending, and insulting. I am very sorry that I was.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Morkyz posted:

Hello, I've been banned from editing and I would like editing privileges reinstated. I am aware of the reason that I was banned (it was due to a Chrome plugin that changes the word 'cloud' to 'butt' - I have since removed this plugin from my browser) and promise that I will never make a mistake like that ever again. This incident was a complete accident on my part and I mean the pages that I have accidentally vandalized, as well as this site in general, no harm.

Thank you, Ned Zeppelin

Really hope that he edited the FF7 page, because I am a child.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

quote:

(it was due to a Chrome plugin that changes the word 'cloud' to 'butt' - I have since removed this plugin from my browser)
this is the greatest excuse i have ever read hahahaha :allears:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
FF7 would be a very different game if it was all about Butt Strife.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Gen. Ripper posted:

this is the greatest excuse i have ever read hahahaha :allears:
Just so everyone's clear on this, it's a real plugin. :haw:

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Darth TNT posted:

Hahaha, no. Their favorite villain is David Xanathos.

How old do tropers tend to be anyway? I always found the Gargoyles wank out of place on that website given the other media that's popular there, I'm wondering how many tropers actually caught that show during their childhood and how many are just pretending to be familiar with it from reading the tropes page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The thing is, Gargoyles is actually a really good show. Animation-wise it's quite good, the storyline is intricate without being overly complex or self-referential, and generally pretty solid watching even 20 years later.

However the obsession with it on TvTropes is all cargo cult. The villain's elaborate machinations made him the name for the "Xanatos Gambit" trope, and that put the show into the eyes of the tropers as being just as amazing as their Japanese animes.

So yeah, the obsessions tropers get with particular shows is all incestuous. Someone makes a reference, someone else hypes it up, and sooner or later you've got the whole website raving about it.

The same thing happened with Fallout, which is why you've got dumb poo poo like Fallout Equestria.

• Locked thread