Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess that's cool, if anything having my phone on me always will be able to justify the mind numbing tedium that's going to be early 90s JRPG dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
Mobile shmobile, handheld or bust, yo!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DeathBySpoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdRTSxI5Co

So this just came out of nowhere- an official English release of SMT1 on iOS! Here's hoping for Android or even 3DS versions.

Holy poo poo. I've been kind of wishing for remakes of 1/2 to make them a bit less 90s-ish, but I'll take it.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!
poo poo, much love for Atlus right now, working every facet of the SMT fanbase. Don't want to be one of those guys that immediately goes "Where's the Android version?!", but hopefully that does well for them and they can bring it over here.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This is probably the first time I regret not having an iOS device. Might be the last too. Still not getting one because that's a bit too expensive for only one thing, though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I fully admit to being one of the dudes that was gloom and dooming when the Sega buyout happened but I was like super wrong. Go team.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Atlus was probably planning to do this a long time before the Sega buyout, to be honest.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Atlus was probably planning to do this a long time before the Sega buyout, to be honest.

I remember the app description saying they were never going to do a translation. I would get a screenshot, but the app seems to have been pulled from the store. Also, if... got an app store release last year. :psyduck:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I've been pretty tickled by that comment that was made at the time of the acquisition about Sega recognizing the Western appeal of the SMT/Persona games and it makes me wonder if there are just board rooms full of Japanese executives puzzling over what it is that made Persona catch fire when other Japanese devs were seeing interest wane.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DeathBySpoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdRTSxI5Co

So this just came out of nowhere- an official English release of SMT1 on iOS! Here's hoping for Android or even 3DS versions.

Well that's utterly inexplicable and pretty drat cool at the same time. Go go Sega/Atlus!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ok, so it's coming out in march, but when? The first? The fourtheenth? The thirty-first? When!!?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok, so it's coming out in march, but when? The first? The fourtheenth? The thirty-first? When!!?

The 18th of March.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

There was really no lead up to this announcement. I'm curious if it will get ported to the Wii U maybe, as well.... Probably not.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Atlus Faithful e-mail says that SMT will be $7.99 on the App Store, which is incredibly more reasonable than the Japanese versions of if... and II currently available on the App Store for $13.99. :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea eight bucks is a drat steal, totally in for that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
poo poo, I've always had android phones. Ugh, but it's new phone time soon... ugh gently caress.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I honestly hope this does well for them and we see ports on other systems. gently caress, if it came out on Android, 3DS, and Steam I'd buy all three. I don't have a current iDevice :(

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a whole multitude of Persona and SMT games on cell phone they can chose from.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

There's a whole multitude of Persona and SMT games on cell phone they can chose from.

They're like the MC designs from P3, but with all the personality removed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So the male MC design from Persona 3, then?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So the male MC design from Persona 3, then?
Minato's design has a decent amount of personality. The hair over his eyes, his kinda slouched posture, the earbuds. You can buy that he's a dude that's a bit disaffected with life just off design alone.

That dude's design is just Minato's with all those defining characteristics removed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Isn't it just typical character design meant to allow people to project themselves onto the character or something?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

hubris.height posted:

There was really no lead up to this announcement. I'm curious if it will get ported to the Wii U maybe, as well.... Probably not.

You say that but isn't SMT iOS essentially the GBA Rom in a custom emulator?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Huh, I don't think anyone was expecting a official translation of SMT1.

Maybe now I'll finally have a excuse to play it. :allears:

What's the difference between the iOS and PSX versions anyways?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ConanThe3rd posted:

You say that but isn't SMT iOS essentially the GBA Rom in a custom emulator?

I would say it's the PS1 version due to the song in the trailer.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It's the GBA version, it's not particularly hard to tell if you're familiar with it. Simply based on the life bars and dungeon backgrounds.

The PS1 version has different life bars and backgrounds.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

According to NeoGAF, it's based on the GBA version but they're using the music from the PSX version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is it in bad taste to make a joke about SMT1 getting a EU release?

:v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Isn't it just typical character design meant to allow people to project themselves onto the character or something?
Well, yeah, it's not like that's unheard of, I just meant that it literally looks like they took the P3 designs and removed the defining traits.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Then people here were shooting me down saying an quick and dirty iOS port would never happen. Should have bet 100 bucks on it, dammit.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

English screenie of PQ.

Good to know the enemy designs are still Persona as gently caress.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Butt Ghost posted:

English screenie of PQ.

Good to know the enemy designs are still Persona as gently caress.

Sweet Jesus what am I looking at here

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Bsmby riding a horse.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is it in bad taste to make a joke about SMT1 getting a EU release?

:v:

Joke away, (as a European) Atlus' name is mud as far as I care.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hope the game maintains the Etrian Odyssey difficulty.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Joke away, (as a European) Atlus' name is mud as far as I care.

Oh, trust me, I feel the same way. I realy don't wanna import a US 3DS just to play SMT4 and Persona Q but ugh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If it helps, while SMT4 is a good game and all it's not worth a system.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SMT4 and Rune Factory 4 together might justify a 2DS.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Boneless Jogger posted:

According to NeoGAF, it's based on the GBA version but they're using the music from the PSX version.

Excellent. As long as I get my lovely PSX music, they could base it off whatever they please for all I care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sir Unimaginative posted:

SMT4 and Rune Factory 4 together might justify a 2DS.

If you add Devil Survivor 1 and 2 and have not played Strange Journey I'd say it easily justifies it.