Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Is anyone else seriously disappointed with the physics in pCARS as of late? I took a break from the releases for a while and played AC quite a bit more. When I left it, pCARS felt like it was finally heading in the right direction with ffb and physics, where I felt like I could reasonably hold a slide and actually drive on the bleeding edge. Now it feels like its an arcade sim trying to have sim qualities where trying to maintain any sort of slide results in snap oversteer (similar to how it was in the very very early releases). Does anyone else feel the same way? I had high hopes for pCARS and now its looking like AC is definitely going to be the next real sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on. It's getting annoying. Seems like the two physics tweakers are getting the tires in shape, then the guy writing the physics model adds new features to the model and everything goes to poo poo again, requiring the first two guys go at it again. IIRC, only the 2-3 cars in the focus test a week can be considered working OK right now. Additionally, there's new turbo code that isn't properly tweaked yet, resulting in torque spikes.

--edit: Today's new turbo code update just shows what I mean. Going from what I suppose was the turbo code multiplying the torque by some factor to hooking it into the engine simulation properly by boosting the intake manifold pressure, changed the engine behavior quite a lot in my opinion, especially on load changes. Which again changes the whole behavior of the car (only been driving the MP4-12C lately).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 17, 2014

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah I haven't really been able to keep up with it because of how often the various cars have their physics changed around. Also sometimes its difficult to test the cars because of issues like the above turbo spiking thing, or a while back there were problems in certain vehicles with one side of the car having different brake temperatures that would cause them to pull to one side every time you slowed down.

I did notice that at some point they improved the FFB so you can easily feel when the tires lock now, and you can hear the tires squeal better now. Kind of waiting to see where it is in a few months when they've hopefully stopped making big changes to the driving model so the game can be released.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I'm kind of curious to compare the amount of people working at Kunos vs. Slightly Mad. Maybe I haven't dug around the forums deep enough but CARS doesn't really seem like it has any kind of focus or project timelines (outside of "release in 2014".) Kunos on the other hand has been really good about keeping expectations reasonable and delivering small amounts of actual consumer value on a regular basis.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

They have threads about the scheduling and expected features, it's just that they're scattered around different subforums on the website. There's a list of milestones, development status on cars, added/planned/rejected features, etc. The major features are supposed to be locked down in around a month, and everything is still listed under alpha or beta status.

I don't think SMS is concerned with people running into broken things in the game at this point given that they're pushing daily builds to Steam.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I finally got RealFeel and LeoFFB working correctly in rfactor and went hog wild getting every hillclimb and touge road I could. You should not watch this video of my first time driving up the Transfargafegrafengan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN79FXksUVc

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I can't remember if I mentioned this here.

I started racing with a new league in iRacing. Good clean racing. Healthy fields and good competition. Every race is streamed on Twitch as well. I wouldn't mind seeing some more people out. It's great fun. Standing starts, rolling starts, sprints, enduros, races with/without pits. Decent variety and 3 series to choose from. I'm running the V8 series and the Ruf series. (Mondays and every other Thursday respectively.)

http://grasim.us/

Come race!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hy8uLHdZrU&t=947s

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I finally got RealFeel and LeoFFB working correctly in rfactor and went hog wild getting every hillclimb and touge road I could. You should not watch this video of my first time driving up the Transfargafegrafengan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN79FXksUVc

I've had RealFeel mostly working for a while now, but I'm never quite satisfied with it. Install tutorials and tips and tricks on various forums throughout the Internet have a lot of differing methods for setting stuff up, so I'm curious how you went about getting everything working on your end. Where did you download the plugin(s) from? Do you have to set up every car (or class of car) separately like I am currently? What settings do you typically use?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why hasn't there been an update from those assholes at SimXPerience? They said they were going to announce a more budget friendly Leo Bodnar wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b63BHDjqg8g

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 19, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Essobie posted:

I've had RealFeel mostly working for a while now, but I'm never quite satisfied with it. Install tutorials and tips and tricks on various forums throughout the Internet have a lot of differing methods for setting stuff up, so I'm curious how you went about getting everything working on your end. Where did you download the plugin(s) from? Do you have to set up every car (or class of car) separately like I am currently? What settings do you typically use?

It's still totally dependent on the car you use it with being not terrible, but I used this guide: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/614-rFactor-Better-FFB-Tutorial
I haven't gotten any other cars to feel as good as the RX-7 though.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, RealFeel is all about loving with poo poo for individual cars. It sucks but that's how it is.

rFactor is still one of the best sims but it's an enormous pain in the rear end.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I have 3 different installs of it right now so that stuff won't break. :suicide:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
rFactor is the Linux of driving sims.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

365 Nog Hogger posted:

It's still totally dependent on the car you use it with being not terrible, but I used this guide: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/614-rFactor-Better-FFB-Tutorial
I haven't gotten any other cars to feel as good as the RX-7 though.

Yeah, that was the main thread I was pulling stuff from. Frankly I could do without the slow moving nonsense that LeoFFB offers in that combo package, but given that the guy who made RealFeel just added that stuff in with no actual way to disable it that I can figure out*, I have to live with my G27 rattling all over the place until I get up to 48kph. The rest feels fine with a bit of tweaking.

*That thread mentions "If you have severe oscillation when not moving simply lower the "Stiffness of Stationary wheels" value in the LeoFFB.ini" which actually doesn't do poo poo in this regard. I still get oscillation if I just tap the wheel a bit... and it just starts going nutso. I've tried dropping that setting to 0, and it doesn't matter. I've also tried setting the MinSpeed setting in the RealFeel ini file to 0 to essentially say "I don't want any LeoFFB stuff in my setup at all, regardless of speed", but no dice.

rFactor being the Linux of driving sims is a perfect analogy, for sure.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Does anyone here use or have opinions on race2play.com? At first glance it looks like an iRacing-type league creator and finder for all the sims that aren't iRacing and without the subscription. Seems like the obvious place to start if I'm looking for a rFactor league to race in but has anyone tried it who can comment?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Helicon One posted:

Does anyone here use or have opinions on race2play.com? At first glance it looks like an iRacing-type league creator and finder for all the sims that aren't iRacing and without the subscription. Seems like the obvious place to start if I'm looking for a rFactor league to race in but has anyone tried it who can comment?

That's what I'm doing for my event based racing. You register on their forums to get a "lisence" to enter events, if I remember correctly, then you just look at the calendar, find a race you are interested in that you are allowed to join*, and join in. The vast majority of racing is done in rFactor 1, but they also have some Race07, some GTR2, some rFactor2, and a few others.

It is free, the cars are all free, the tracks are all free, and out of the 10 or so events I've joined, only one of them featured some rear end in a top hat trying to take out the field after he ruined his car in turn 1 trying to divebomb the entire group. Everything else has been really clean racing.

No, the tracks aren't laser accurate, but it is still a great way to get organized or semi-organized race events that are miles better than randoms on random, unpassworded servers.

For fun starter races, I recommend the F1-'78 series, the Z-Mini series, and any FBMW races you can find. P3000 and S5000 races are also great.

*Some scheduled events are part of racing leagues that you are required to join that might have their own special rules and such... most of the ones I've been interested in joining are open to join.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Finally got a webcam and set up FaceTrackNOIR, takes a bit of setup, but it is great, much better sense of speed and immersion.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can't wait for multiplayer in AC now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Diet Crack posted:

Can't wait for multiplayer in AC now.

Same here, it's update day today as well!
New Lotus F1 car coming :)

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Moxie Omen posted:

I'm kind of curious to compare the amount of people working at Kunos vs. Slightly Mad. Maybe I haven't dug around the forums deep enough but CARS doesn't really seem like it has any kind of focus or project timelines (outside of "release in 2014".) Kunos on the other hand has been really good about keeping expectations reasonable and delivering small amounts of actual consumer value on a regular basis.

Definitely agree with Kunos doing a really good job. One of the best early access experiences I've had so far. I hope they can keep it up (and add the Nürburgring sometime. If I can only have 1 track in my racing games, that's the one.)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Das Butterbrot posted:

(and add the Nürburgring sometime. If I can only have 1 track in my racing games, that's the one.)

The Nerdburgring GP was in today's update, though the Nordschleife will be in the 'Dream Pack' DLC to be released after 1.0 for an undetermined price, along with 10 cars (no confirmed cars, but almost certainly including the Nissan GT-R in street and GT versions).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A street version of the GT-R isn't something any race sim should ever offer, unless they actually give it a try to emulate its AWD and torque vectoring system. Same goes for other cars with specialty systems, like active aero and brake steer like the MP4-12C has.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. I would really love a well done 4/AWD system in AC, though I doubt we'll ever get an evo of decent quality. :allears:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Driver is just taking a nap.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
The Lotus is such a fun car. However, the AI seems to be even more inept than usual in it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really want to play AC some more but it feels like they've picked the worst tracks to put in. Mugello is alright, but it would be nice to have more flowing tracks that aren't aerodromes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

For anyone that cares, SMS has been hinting at an Audi license. No details yet, since there's lack of an official statement. But I'd wager it'll include more than just the A4 and Le Mans car that had been in-game under the Asano name. Maybe it will span more things from the VAG group?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

For anyone that cares, SMS has been hinting at an Audi license. No details yet, since there's lack of an official statement. But I'd wager it'll include more than just the A4 and Le Mans car that had been in-game under the Asano name. Maybe it will span more things from the VAG group?

Didn't they already replace those with new designs? It would be cool if the old ones stayed though.

e: Just noticed, if you payed for Project CARS, you have until the 9th to fill in your name/nationality for naming AI drivers. They say they're checking the names so you probably won't get away with naming yourself yourself Hitlerdick McBongfarts or anything like that.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 5, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Didn't they already replace those with new designs? It would be cool if the old ones stayed though.
The LMP was being replaced by a community design, because licensing Audi seemed uncertain. From what I've gathered, their World of Speed project helped getting additional track and car licenses, there's probably coming more. Assets are shared, too, so say if they were to get the licenses for the Lamborghinis and implement them, PCARS would pretty much get them, too (except for physics, the WoS physics engine is a different one).

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Well that is definitely some downforce on that Lotus. :stare:

I got AC on sale and have definitely gotten my money's worth of enjoyment out of it. It's fun to come home and bust out a few hot laps. I would like if they added more "regular" cars in the vein of the Fiat but I'm not sure if that's the direction they're wanting to go. I just like stupid slow cars.

Also more tracks need to happen yesterday. Great work in progress though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Kunos posted:

As you have probably noticed, since the beginning Assetto Corsa was primarily centered on European content. There are several contributing factors as to why this is, first of which is location of Kunos Simulazioni R&D; having been working on this project in the past four years with limited resources and budget it was easier for our development team to access the cars and tracks found near the studio.
Despite the current European focus of Assetto Corsa we are suprised to see that a big part of early access sales has come from the U.S.A. Thank you so much for your support!

Well, we have decided to thank all the American people (and all of our patrons) for the great support they have shown our game with a new exciting license addition: Assetto Corsa welcomes the Corvette! The new amazing C7 Stingray 2014 will be added to Assetto Corsa as a free content, and the incredible and beautiful Corvette C.7 race car will be part of the Dream Pack that will include ten cars and the legendary Nürburgring Nordschleife! We will keep you updated with the work in progress on these new exciting car models: ciao America!

Not my first choice for an American car, but more is better.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I can get behind that. :getin:

I'm guessing the Dream Pack is pay content? I'm going to buy it because they said the magic word. Nordschleife

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, the dream pack is paid DLC, no price announced as of yet, but I bet %60+ of their customers will buy it no matter what.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Given the quality of everything they've released so far I have zero problems paying more money for a laser scanned Nordschleife and some more cars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know i've asked this before, but I think that was while Asseto Corsa's controls were still being worked out and the game was in alpha; how is it now on a controller?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

I said come in! posted:

I know i've asked this before, but I think that was while Asseto Corsa's controls were still being worked out and the game was in alpha; how is it now on a controller?

still much the same, with a few improvements to smoothing. But they're asking on the forums right now, about how they could be improved. So its still a work in progress. But they care.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tehsid posted:

still much the same, with a few improvements to smoothing. But they're asking on the forums right now, about how they could be improved. So its still a work in progress. But they care.

Well on the plus side I will get to have my racing wheel again in May. I'm gonna buy AC finally at that point.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

I said come in! posted:

Well on the plus side I will get to have my racing wheel again in May. I'm gonna buy AC finally at that point.

Oh. Its quite playable now with the controller, you just have to avoid smashing the stick side to side, and just think about your placement. And with the 33% off sale right now, more then worth owning at this point. If you can afford it, grab it now and have a blast around with the controller. Its GREAT.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

:siren: Assetto Corsa is on sale on Steam :siren: until March 10th for %33 off, or $26.65

edit : got distracted, and beaten by the above poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I still haven't been able to beat my 360-controller/stability-controlled DTM/Silverstone-int record (1:11.891) with my DFGT/no-aids, in fact I never did better than 1:13.8 with the wheel before deciding I would just never drive that combo again.

• Locked thread