Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Droid Washington posted:

Speaking of battery life, the V8P states it gets 10 hours of use, which I find is pretty accurate with the screen on the lowest brightness (which is still pretty bright). How do I get better standby battery time though? For instance the iPad claims to get 10 hours of battery life, but as long as it's just sitting there in standby it gets like 2 weeks of battery life. If I keep my V8P on standby it gets maybe 2 days of life.

I was really, really upset about the standby issue, until I forced myself to start shutting down. It was then that I realized the DV8P (and also the surface pro) start up in like 6 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Papercut posted:

Process Explorer tells me that it is explorer.exe that is using it.

E: I ran in Win7 compatibility mode and that at least got a Windows prompt to allow the program to make changes, although Dropbox still popped a message saying it wouldn't work this way. I just said screw it and installed anyway and it seems to be working.

That sounds like a virus to me, or perhaps even worse an anti-virus...

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Connected standby does suck down a lot of juice. You could consider disabling connected standby if you don't need the machine to act as an alarm clock, etc. while it is sleeping. As an alternative to shutting down, I'd suggest setting up a shortcut to run the command "Shutdown -h" which makes the machine hibernate (I think there are also hacks to re-enable hibernation options in the UI; MS seems to think that having connected standy and hibernation available at the same time would confuse users :downs:).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think the V8P's lovely standby life is more due to Windows' lack of intimacy with the mobile platform. iOS and W8.1 are sort of completely different beasts, one was made for mobile and the other was sort of retrofitted. Downside of having a full x86 machine in a tablet form, I think.

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously
When you guys are saying "standby" isn't that different than "hibernate"? I found that hibernate is the best way to deal with windows tablets, assuming you have a solid state drive. Battery life seems to drain much slower, as one would prefer, with hibernate. Start up times are zippy and fast as expected with a SSD too. In this way, the whole experience is closer to what's expected from a tablet.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Droid Washington posted:

Speaking of battery life, the V8P states it gets 10 hours of use, which I find is pretty accurate with the screen on the lowest brightness (which is still pretty bright). How do I get better standby battery time though? For instance the iPad claims to get 10 hours of battery life, but as long as it's just sitting there in standby it gets like 2 weeks of battery life. If I keep my V8P on standby it gets maybe 2 days of life.

Connected standby should allow the computer to sleep for at least 2 weeks before the battery would be drained (the requirements for connected standby are like, 5-6% per 16 hours). Try running in cmd "powercfg -batteryreport" this will give detailed information on the drain, and you can see graphs and towards the bottom of the report per16h listings for battery use. This was a problem my friend was having with her thinkpad tablet 2 ( which despite last gen atom, is an amazing machine) where it was eating up like, 18% per 16h period on connected standby. The only thing hat worked in that case was reverting it to 8.0 and it worked fine to spec again. I mention the battery report because it should give you an idea if the connected standby battery use is outside of spec. Theres another powercfg command (maybe like -connected standby or something, if I wasn't at work i'd look it up) that will give detailed information on what processes are using the most juice during connected standby and what processes if any are waking it. Some people have had something as simple as muting the audio fixing the problem, or updating drivers (again this was on the thinkpad tablet 2, which is the only one I;ve bothered to research connected standby drains on.)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I think the V8P's lovely standby life is more due to Windows' lack of intimacy with the mobile platform. iOS and W8.1 are sort of completely different beasts, one was made for mobile and the other was sort of retrofitted. Downside of having a full x86 machine in a tablet form, I think.
If it matters, I get astonishing battery life from my Omni 10, probably even better than my iPad 3, which in turn was about 5000000000000% better than my TF700t and Nexus 7 2012. I was definitely not expecting the great standby longevity from this tablet after suffering through my 3 Android tablets that would die after a couple days on my nightstand.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
You can use "powercfg /batteryreport" to see how much battery you're draining when (e.g. it may actually be entering CS). Then you can do a "powercfg /sleepstudy" to see what is misbehaving while in CS. There may not be anything you can do about it, but there's always a chance that disabling something you don't care about anyways will help you out.

Edit: Beaten by Tom, but I believe /sleepstudy is what he was mentioning.

tk fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 26, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Well, it's finally started happening. After just about 1 year of mild constant use my Surface Pro's battery is showing serious signs of aging. It now lasts about 3 hours on a full charge where it used to last 5 easily. The battery percentage between 70% and 100% is very quick to drain and very slow to recharge.

There's nothing I can do about this short of replacing the battery, right? I don't think you're supposed to do a full battery drain for its health with laptop batteries these days, are you?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tom Foolery posted:

When you guys are saying "standby" isn't that different than "hibernate"? I found that hibernate is the best way to deal with windows tablets, assuming you have a solid state drive. Battery life seems to drain much slower, as one would prefer, with hibernate. Start up times are zippy and fast as expected with a SSD too. In this way, the whole experience is closer to what's expected from a tablet.

Battery shouldn't drain at all in hibernate, should it?

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously

MikeJF posted:

Battery shouldn't drain at all in hibernate, should it?
You're right. It shouldn't use up any battery life.

Also, I read that the Microsoft Surfaces don't support connected standby. In fact, after running a "powercfg /sleepstudy" on my pro, the prompt says "Connected Standby is not supported on this machine. Cannot run tool." Looks like hibernate really is the best option on the surfaces.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

tk posted:

You can use "powercfg /batteryreport" to see how much battery you're draining when (e.g. it may actually be entering CS). Then you can do a "powercfg /sleepstudy" to see what is misbehaving while in CS. There may not be anything you can do about it, but there's always a chance that disabling something you don't care about anyways will help you out.

Edit: Beaten by Tom, but I believe /sleepstudy is what he was mentioning.

this was exactly the one I was thinking of, thanks.

Tom Foolery posted:

You're right. It shouldn't use up any battery life.

Also, I read that the Microsoft Surfaces don't support connected standby. In fact, after running a "powercfg /sleepstudy" on my pro, the prompt says "Connected Standby is not supported on this machine. Cannot run tool." Looks like hibernate really is the best option on the surfaces.

this is correct, Haswell processors don't have the ability to do connected standby. I'm not sure if the broadwell will, but it would be nice, even of the wake time from sleep is only like 5 seconds as it is. Depending on the persons usage, this may be something to consider when deciding between a baytrail 10" tablet and a surface or any other Haswell tablet.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
What are people's experiences with using a stylus for pdf annotations ? Thinking of getting the Asus Note 8 mainly as a media consumption device but also for a bit of note taking with the stylus.

On the other hand, the prices for the first generation Surface Pros in Australia are getting pretty close to some of the 8 inch tablets making them pretty tempting. It's larger and heavier which makes it much more unwieldy and the battery life is pretty crap though.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
For anyone with the Note 8, I highly recommend buying the Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus. It's hard to quantify just how much better it feels than the original stylus but its well worth the additional $40. The stylus and the way it interacts with the screen really feels 'premium' if that makes any sense. I was previously looking for a screen protector to give the screen some texture but not anymore with this stylus. Palm rejection still works perfectly. I no longer accidentally press that stupid button on the original stylus while writing.

Now I just have to find a case for this device. Love to hear some recommendations if anyone has one.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Do wacom styluses work on dell venue tablets?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

As far as I'm aware of, no. Because the venue tablets use non-wacom digitizers.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Not even other dell styluses work on dell venues, because gently caress you, that's why.

I'm not even kidding. The Dell Active Stylus for XT3 isn't compatible.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

seriously, why does anyone use anything but wacom? I mean when you can grab a ten year old tablet PC pen, a galaxy note s pen, or any other wacom pen on earth and use it with any wacom device, and theres no batteries needed, why? The size of the pen element can't be an issue because it fits in a god drat smartphone, so what is it? licensing cost? Can't be that bad when a 299 tablet can have one, so... why?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

lostleaf posted:

For anyone with the Note 8, I highly recommend buying the Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus. It's hard to quantify just how much better it feels than the original stylus but its well worth the additional $40. The stylus and the way it interacts with the screen really feels 'premium' if that makes any sense. I was previously looking for a screen protector to give the screen some texture but not anymore with this stylus. Palm rejection still works perfectly. I no longer accidentally press that stupid button on the original stylus while writing.

Now I just have to find a case for this device. Love to hear some recommendations if anyone has one.
I got the IVSO case, this one -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HLVBRH6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(the review on there is mine btw)

As for aftermarket stylus options, the Wacom Bamboo Feel looks pretty good, but it doesn't have an eraser and it only has one side switch. Luckily there are tons of Penabled styluses to be had. I've got an old Axiotron Studio pen, but they're hard to find nowadays.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have the official Dell Folio Case for the V8P? It looks like cases and accessories in general are very difficult to find with Windows tablets. I'm looking for something that will sit up in a bed so I can watch videos when falling asleep, and will let me pack it in a backpack to stay protected. Also a plus is a slanted mode to allow for typing notes.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Droid Washington posted:

Does anyone have the official Dell Folio Case for the V8P? It looks like cases and accessories in general are very difficult to find with Windows tablets. I'm looking for something that will sit up in a bed so I can watch videos when falling asleep, and will let me pack it in a backpack to stay protected. Also a plus is a slanted mode to allow for typing notes.

I got one bundled with my Venue Pro and I don't really like it. It makes the whole tablet rather thick and it's somewhat difficult take off due to the plastic shell the tablet fits in. The shell also blocks the microSD slot and I've scuffed the rubberized edges of the tablet while trying to take it off to get to the slot. When propped up, rubber skid pads are the only thing that keeps the tablet up and doesn't do a very good job of keeping that position. Particularly when you have the tablet on an uneven surface. When one of the rubber pads sheared off of the case, I had enough.

I ended up getting this case.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHKLAYG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While it ends up being just as thick as the Dell case, it's much easier to put on and take off since it's being held in place with six cloth lined tabs which won't damage the edges. Only the two mid-line tabs pulls the tablet into the case while the four corner tabs keeps the case from sliding about. In addition, the microSD slot is accessible and the cover lid had a locking tab that keeps the cover closed without making to too difficult to open. When propped up, there are two slots the tablet can sit in for a more secure viewing position.

Overall, I like it much more than the Dell cover despite not having a way to secure the pen. Although after almost losing the tip of the pen while it was attached to the Dell cover, I now keep the pen in my coat pocket so as to not lose the tip again.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Does anyone know of any X86 Tablets (Windows 8 not required) that are under 8 inches? I'm looking into trying to make a Steam version of a PS Vita. I considered buying a Vita until I realized every single Vita game I'm interested in I already own on Steam and several of them even run on Steam Linux.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any X86 tablets in the 3.5-5 in size range. I'd love to take one of those an attach some kind of controller wired/Bluetooth/Logitech and make my own Steam Gameboy.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
... I'm not certain any exist. That's rather small for a "tablet" (more like a phone really) and the resolution would probably be pretty low since reasons.

Of you have any luck though, I'd be interested in how it works out.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Stick100 posted:

Does anyone know of any X86 Tablets (Windows 8 not required) that are under 8 inches? I'm looking into trying to make a Steam version of a PS Vita. I considered buying a Vita until I realized every single Vita game I'm interested in I already own on Steam and several of them even run on Steam Linux.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any X86 tablets in the 3.5-5 in size range. I'd love to take one of those an attach some kind of controller wired/Bluetooth/Logitech and make my own Steam Gameboy.

Nope. I think the smallest W8.1 tablet announced is the 7 inch toughpad.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Stick100 posted:

There isn't anything new in that size range right now. There were UMPCs starting from 2006 that can have a screen size of 5" to 7" and originally shipped with Windows XP Tablet PC edition but usually had a resolution of 800x480, were running old Intel, VIA, AMD, or even Transmetta processors (some of which predates the Intel Atom processor) 256 MB to 2 GB of RAM, and a 30 to 160 GB hard drive. While I'm sure Windows 8 would work better on those than Windows XP, the screen resolution, limited and probably un-upgradeable RAM, and hard drive would make it a novelty at best and I doubt Steam Linux would be that much better. Plus, I don't know how well Windows 8 would scale on a sub-7" screen.

gmcsonoma
Jan 27, 2004

I bought this case for my AVN8:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Cover-VivoTab-windows-Tablet/dp/B00HLVEY4Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392750857&sr=8-4&keywords=asus+vivotab+note+8

So far I'm really liking it. The cover stays firmly shut with magnets. The usb port/headphone jack/stylus/volume/power buttons are accessible while it's closed. The cover folds into a stand and seems sturdy both upright and laid flat.

I also picked up a Microsoft Surface Stylus to use, it's considerably better than the included stylus (especially close to the edges) and the eraser function works well too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, a 5" 'tablet' is certainly possible. I'm not sure what the package size of Bay Trail is, but intel has made phone x86 SoCs before and 2+gb of memory on a phone isn't uncommon. Resolution could be pretty good as well as there are plenty of 1080p 5" displays available.

The market niche is just so small though that it wouldn't be worth anyone's time to do it and I honestly don't know if Microsoft has minimum OEM specifications for screen size for their tablets.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
For an OS that has so much dependency on the desktop, I can't see that working well, even with scaling options. Better to just get a Lumia 1520 and call it a day.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

aren't there some android phones with baytrail processors in them? im pretty sure lenovo at least makes some.

.... you said windows 8 not required :V

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tha Chodesweller posted:

For an OS that has so much dependency on the desktop, I can't see that working well, even with scaling options. Better to just get a Lumia 1520 and call it a day.

That won't run Steam :shrug:

Yeah though the problem he's having is that the only reason I can think of to put an x86 chip in a form-factor that small is to do exactly the thing he's talking about. Basically every device with a 5" screen is packing an ARM chip, because most people who want a 5" touchscreen want a smartphone, not a DIY SteamBoy. Maybe wait for that thing Google is apparently doing where you can custom-build a smartphone?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

loquacius posted:

That won't run Steam :shrug:

Yeah though the problem he's having is that the only reason I can think of to put an x86 chip in a form-factor that small is to do exactly the thing he's talking about. Basically every device with a 5" screen is packing an ARM chip, because most people who want a 5" touchscreen want a smartphone, not a DIY SteamBoy. Maybe wait for that thing Google is apparently doing where you can custom-build a smartphone?

The issue is still going to be whether or not you can install Windows 8 full on it. There exist x86 phones now. The Razr i for example. There will likely be more in the future because intel is pushing hard into the space. The road likely just won't be easy to put full Windows on it due to bootloader and driver issues unless it's officially supported by an OEM.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Even if we got full Windows 8 on a 5-6" form factor, the amount of x86 applications for that are optimized for touch and a small display are far and few between. I mean, it's not really about how technically possible it is, it's just nobody would use the drat thing for what the hardware makes itself useful for.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They mentioned something in the post about Steam Linux; I figured that was the real end goal v:shobon:v

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Probably not for a few years, and who knows what tablets and phones will be like in 2017.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Even if we got full Windows 8 on a 5-6" form factor, the amount of x86 applications for that are optimized for touch and a small display are far and few between. I mean, it's not really about how technically possible it is, it's just nobody would use the drat thing for what the hardware makes itself useful for.

I'm looking for basically a Nexus 5/Moto G except using an x86 processor. The Moto I is basically the template I want but I can't find anyone who has made another intel phone.

As it happens I wouldn't need anything optimized for touch, because I'd basically build a Vita (a pretty low power ARM procesor), by attaching a controller and using it to play Splunky, Super Meat Boy, Guacamelee, the Swapper really old Burnout/Need For speed and a whole bunch of other low system requirement controller optimized games.

I guess the DVP8 is pretty close but it's still a little too big. I guess the Vita has a 5 in screen so I might be able to make it work at 8 if I attach the controller below instead of on the sides.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you are up to building and fabrication, I can't see what's stopping you from stripping a V8P down to core components and sticking it in a smaller box with a smaller screen and smaller battery.

That is going to be far easier than retrofitting a phone that was designed from the beginning to run Android.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Yeah, somebody track down that guy who tears down old game consoles and turns them into handhelds, and send him a DVP8.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I just picked up a Surface Pro 2 with the 256/8GB option. Apparently the charger isn't strong enough to charge while using it. I plugged it in and started to sync my Dropbox, and over the course of 20 minutes still lost 5% battery. I'm sure I could lower the screen brightness and mess with the settings, but even if I manage to get a positive charge during use, there's no way it'd keep it up during gaming. I was really hoping that you could use it plugged in like a laptop and just ignore the battery. That's not at all a deal breaker, though, just an annoyance.

This thing is pretty impressive so far. I don't seem to have a code for Office, though - I have a slip of paper for Skype and SkyDrive. I ordered from the Microsoft Store - is there a way to tell if my copy of Office is the trial?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Mortanis posted:

I don't seem to have a code for Office, though - I have a slip of paper for Skype and SkyDrive.

I'm pretty sure surface pros do NOT come with an office key. The non-pro surface does, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Mortanis posted:

I just picked up a Surface Pro 2 with the 256/8GB option. Apparently the charger isn't strong enough to charge while using it. I plugged it in and started to sync my Dropbox, and over the course of 20 minutes still lost 5% battery. I'm sure I could lower the screen brightness and mess with the settings, but even if I manage to get a positive charge during use, there's no way it'd keep it up during gaming. I was really hoping that you could use it plugged in like a laptop and just ignore the battery. That's not at all a deal breaker, though, just an annoyance.

This thing is pretty impressive so far. I don't seem to have a code for Office, though - I have a slip of paper for Skype and SkyDrive. I ordered from the Microsoft Store - is there a way to tell if my copy of Office is the trial?

I think most Windows computers with batteries don't always stay at 100% while charging. Usually they go from 100 > 95 > 100 > 95, and so on, to keep something or other from happening with the battery.

Does it ever get below 90%? Because if so, I think you've got a defective unit.

• Locked thread