Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So does DVI

edit: Apparently not after DDWG disbanded.

DP is royalty-free though.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ursine Asylum posted:

It's another one of those "You'll gently caress this up exactly once" type of things. I generally don't run SQL commands without a limit either nowadays.

luminalflux posted:

Idunno, i've pretty much made it a habit to do "BEGIN; DELETE FROM butts WHERE butt_id > 42; SELECT COUNT(*) FROM butts;" and looking at the result before hitting COMMIT

This is sort of the point, though. Yes, it's good practice and you should do it. Everyone also knows not to "rm -rf /" or .*

But if you spend a significant portion of your time typing potentially destructive commands, you're going to cock it up at least one time, and it's nice to have the tools protect you.

I learned that RHEL 4 will interpret "rpm -e --force --nodeps `rpm -qa`" literally the hard way when an early iteration of an upgrade script failed to match a regex. I'll never do that again either, but there are a million ways your tools can bite you. Idiot traps are good.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, DP is basically the only connector out there currently that will drive monitors above 2560x1600, isn't it?

Caged posted:

I don't like seeing adapters hanging off the ends of things because far too often people assume that it's there for them to steal.

Wut? People steal adapters?

dennyk posted:

(Protip: did you know that ".*" will match ".." and run your recursive command on the parent directory of your target and everything underneath it? Learned that one the hard way when I was a terrible newbie; luckily it was only a chown -R and just took an hour or so to clean up... :v: )

So what would be the right way to wildcard delete all hidden files??

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
gently caress Lotus Notes, and gently caress our Lotus Notes administrator.

I've been working on getting a guy into his LN account for a week (XP Uptime Guy), and we keep getting hosed up error messages. I *finally* got him into his account yesterday but his local mail database is locked and can't be opened with his ID file. OK, make a new Location, turn off replication, and browse out to his mail server. gently caress, "not authorized to access this database" on his server-side mail file.

The response back from the Lotus Notes admin:

"I’m sorry. I have gone as far as my skillset can take me. I have nothing more add to this issue."

I understand that I've been pestering you on and off for a week about this, but I know jack poo poo about Lotus Notes and this is the first job I've ever had where people actually use it. I'm sorry that I blew your loving mind by actually researching the issue and trying to fix the local database myself with the client-side utilities when you said you couldn't help me the first time, but now that we're actually in and working, all you have to do is fix the access permissions on his server-side file.

gently caress me.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh god I hate that. I run into it occasionally as well. Look, I get that no one knows everything, and you might have to do some research or even open a support ticket. Yes, I understand that that takes time and even money. But you're going to loving do it, because I don't have the authority or the access, and I cannot turn around and tell the leadership of the organization that the official answer is "I don't know."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, DP is basically the only connector out there currently that will drive monitors above 2560x1600, isn't it?
HDMI 1.4 will do 4096x2160k but only at 30hz so it barely counts. HDMI 2.0 will do 4096x2160 at 60hz. Both at 24bpp iirc. The specs for DP 1.2 are roughly the same, with DP 1.3 coming some time in Q2 this year doubling the bandwidth of DP 1.2 so should work up to 8k resolutions, or multiple 4K displays.

DP and HDMI are fairly even matched and from a consumer point of view it doesn't really matter which one you use. The major difference is DP has multi stream, but it's a small advantage that most regular consumers won't use.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

For real, gently caress lotus notes. I'm having that exact same issue right now except I have no means to contact the notes admin and the domino team thinks its a local issue (its not). It sounds like either the ID file is hosed or somethings wrong with the users permissions on the mail file. But desk side has no tools to fix anything.

gently caress lotus notes.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Collateral Damage posted:

HDMI 1.4 will do 4096x2160k but only at 30hz so it barely counts. HDMI 2.0 will do 4096x2160 at 60hz. Both at 24bpp iirc. The specs for DP 1.2 are roughly the same, with DP 1.3 coming some time in Q2 this year doubling the bandwidth of DP 1.2 so should work up to 8k resolutions, or multiple 4K displays.

DP and HDMI are fairly even matched and from a consumer point of view it doesn't really matter which one you use. The major difference is DP has multi stream, but it's a small advantage that most regular consumers won't use.

The other upshot of DisplayPort is that it's packeted, not timed; this leads to things like the daisy-chained or hubbed displays you mentioned, almost arbitrary display device limits, and in theory displays that only need to refresh their screens with new frames (which provides little benefit on, say, an office monitor, but would revolutionize PC and console gaming, in the sense of a version of AMD FreeSync that was applicable for not-laptops and didn't suck, or of nVidia G-Sync that wasn't in licensing hell and didn't suck).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Wtf you guys. Display port can shove display information into packets and split them among several monitors. DVI can't do this.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

HalloKitty posted:

God no. I hate the fact turning off a DisplayPort monitor in Windows disconnects it and shifts everything about.

I'm perfectly happy with DVI. What's wrong with DVI?

If this is literally ruining one of your users' lives like it did to mine, there are third party programs that will auto-save desktop layouts by resolution

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
This thread moves too fast but I install safe-rm on any system where retardsnon-sysadmins can elevate. (Usually the elevation allowance comes from above my paygrade).

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

odiv posted:

Holy poo poo am I ever sick of getting tickets that have "This has been a problem for X weeks." in them.

I am about the only one that reports problems, the rest here rather puts up a sign "out of service" and shrugs a lot at customer questions.
So yeah, problems tend to go unreported for weeks here. :argh:

the worst are the ones that are fixed with a simple reboot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I love users who loudly complain to nobody in particular that their PC isn't working if a member of the IT team happens to be within earshot. Not going to pay any attention to it, put a ticket in. You aren't special.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

odiv posted:

Holy poo poo am I ever sick of getting tickets that have "This has been a problem for X weeks." in them.

Pearson rents my building on weekends and invited my CFO to a meeting to resolve an issue that "we have been working on for 8 weeks now" with my name attached to it. I don't work weekends. I was there within an hour and loving fixed their whole environment for them, a whitebox with a TNT2 video card and a discontinued ID card printer, for free.

Sometimes it's just easier to do it yourself regardless of the horrible precedent being set :sigh:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Caged posted:

I love users who loudly complain to nobody in particular that their PC isn't working if a member of the IT team happens to be within earshot. Not going to pay any attention to it, put a ticket in. You aren't special.

To add to this, it's amazing how they're having "constant issues" but they're not worth taking 5 seconds to enter a ticket about.

"Hey Skip I'm having X, Y, Z problems with my PC"

"Oh, OK, put a ticket in and one of the helpdesk guys will see what they can do"

"Oh, it's no big deal"

:effort: bitching just to bitch.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
DisplayPort also has teeth to keep the connector from being yanked/ripped out. So it won't randomly fall out.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rawrbomb posted:

DisplayPort also has teeth to keep the connector from being yanked/ripped out. So it won't randomly fall out.

Full size DisplayPort as a study in connector design is glorious, that much is definitely true.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

User was having problems with a filing system we have that plugs into Outlook and lets them browse the file database through the client. All of her folders are empty and she gets errors when she tries to open links to files she has been sent in emails. I had seen something similar before, the database has a unique login that is hidden and if a user somehow enters their own AD details into it they get their account locked.

I tell her to call the Service Desk and if they can't sort it they will pass it to me, but assume they know what they are doing.

An hour later I get a call from first line with a dude who swears blind he has tried everything and the has reached the end of his knowledge, I need to take over. User is annoyed because they haven't been able to do any work for an hour.

I take over and take a look, try a couple of things but as far as I am concerned the issue is that her account is locked, so I call one of the database admins and ask him to check. Sure enough, the account is locked.

Service Desk and the Database Admins are the only ones with the authority to unlock the accounts, it is "beneath" second line. So I have to call the service desk to get it unlocked.

Approximately 30 minutes later I get an email from the user, same problem. I call the Service Desk and get them to check the status of her account "It is definitely not locked!" assures the first line technician. So I go and investigate, totally scratching my head.

I spend 20 minutes going over everything with a fine tooth comb, try a different machine, a different account. It has to be her login. I call my friend on the DA team.. account is locked.

So I call the Service Desk again and get them to unlock it.

30 minutes later, account locked. This time the service desk actually manage to acknowledge this and unlock it straight away "Oh yes, we have had a lot of calls about this user today"

30 minutes later, account locks again.

I skip the Service Desk and email the DA team, telling them to look into this as I can't keep getting her account unlocked and I have spent a lot of time trying to find a cause on her machine to no joy.

Turns out Service Desk had been using the wrong process to unlock her account, so it would trigger a relock whenever she saved a file..

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Great Beer posted:

For real, gently caress lotus notes. I'm having that exact same issue right now except I have no means to contact the notes admin and the domino team thinks its a local issue (its not). It sounds like either the ID file is hosed or somethings wrong with the users permissions on the mail file. But desk side has no tools to fix anything.

gently caress lotus notes.

Our problem is that the infrastructure gurus are all old Lotus/Novell neckbeards, and there's a corporate mentality of not getting locked into a single vendor for things. So even though we've moved to AD/Exchange, we still have email linked to Lotus Notes so everyone has to have a LN account setup and all the entries and pointers in the NERD setup before they get licensed for O365. Trying to get a department shared mailbox setup is an exercise in frustration, pain and future alcoholism. We don't use WSUS/SCCM and have a separate solution, etc. It's insane and makes me long to go back to healthcare IT.

Then after we moved to Exchange early last year (apparently, wasn't here) and everyone stopped using LN around April unless they got hit with a FOIA request or need archived something or other, one of the departments decided to link their web-based purchase card system to LN instead of AD, and we've been dealing with people that haven't been logged into LN in 6+ months but suddenly need to get into the card system to approve something, and it's a 2-3 day wait for the lazy, incompetent LN admin to get us an ID file and password.

And what the gently caress is with ID files. In what world is it intelligent to keep email in a database stored on a server that's only accessible with a username and password but is then also encrypted by a file that the user can lose. And we have an ID vault, but we've had a handful of IDs that aren't in the vault, and those users are hosed with a capital F. I'm dealing with another guy who dropped his laptop while it was running, head crashed his HDD and lost everything, and we can't get him into his local Notes and never will be, according to IBM.

Why is this better than migrating all of that email to Exchange when we switched? Why?

gently caress it's not even noon and I need a drink. Wife got me a bottle of Maker's Mark 46 last night. Fucker's gonna be gone by the time this weekend is over.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Collateral Damage posted:

HDMI 1.4 will do 4096x2160k but only at 30hz so it barely counts. HDMI 2.0 will do 4096x2160 at 60hz. Both at 24bpp iirc.

Ah, yeah, I'd seen how much HDMI sucked for 4k screens, so I assumed that was where it was going to end up.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

So I got a ticket from a dude a month back; we replicated his bug and have it fixed for the next major release (late March). Given how the company works, this is a pretty reasonable time-frame. On occasion a customer will want a fix ASAP, and we can accommodate that. Well, I got a response from this customer, after he was informed that we fixed his bug in our development areas.

Tier 1 dude basically said "it'll be in the next major release; maybe the end of March." These dudes are on a maintenance license, so additional versions are covered in costs.

Customer's response?

"Well, I'd like a patch for the older release. This is a bug and not a software addition/new feature." [[okay, this is a legitimate statement]]
"However, the approach you are using here is wrong. For example, let's say I made a defective car and a customer buys it, uses it, and encounters the flaw.

I can't tell them 'buy next year's model and this'll be fixed'. No, this requires a recall. In this case, I want a recall in the form of a patch."

Long story short: :iiaca:

Highlight of my day :unsmith:

Geop fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 28, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tell him he can have a recall in the form of you taking the old version away and giving him the new version.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Yay, a major credit card processor is spitting out error:503's on auth requests.

Just how I wanted to spend my friday, answering calls from customers because their registers are 'freezing' on credit cards.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Geop posted:

So I got a ticket from a dude a month back; we replicated his bug and have it fixed for the next major release (late March). Given how the company works, this is a pretty reasonable time-frame. On occasion a customer will want a fix ASAP, and we can accommodate that. Well, I got a response from this customer, after he was informed that we fixed his bug in our development areas.

Tier 1 dude basically said "it'll be in the next major release; maybe the end of March." These dudes are on a maintenance license, so additional versions are covered in costs.

Customer's response?

"Well, I'd like a patch for the older release. This is a bug and not a software addition/new feature." [[okay, this is a legitimate statement]]
"However, the approach you are using here is wrong. For example, let's say I made a defective car and a customer buys it, uses it, and encounters the flaw.

I can't tell them 'buy next year's model and this'll be fixed'. No, this requires a recall. In this case, I want a recall in the form of a patch."

Long story short: :iiaca:

Highlight of my day :unsmith:

If it was a video game he would have demanded you pay him for finding bugs, so its not all that bad.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

dennyk posted:

Giving people who have no business being on a server root access will usually bite you in the rear end eventually.

So if we're a Windows shop and everyone is basically a Domain Admin, is that bad? :v:

(Sadly not a joke. The only reason it's not been a complete disaster yet is that none of the non-IT staff know anything about computers and wouldn't know what to do with the power they have even if they realized they had it. Hooray for security-through-obscurity, I guess. I'm working to fix this but there's no documentation for anything so I have to create it first and my boss doesn't put a very high priority on it.)

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

I usually use the glob .[a-Z]*

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Lotus Notes? Dafuq? While you're at it, maybe you could check out these IE 5 issues I've been having...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

RangerAce posted:

Lotus Notes? Dafuq? While you're at it, maybe you could check out these IE 5 issues I've been having...

Some old stodgy bastard had to learn to use a computer 15 years ago, and there'll be hell to pay if he has to learn something else now. He's not paid to learn things.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blackswordca, the latest Bug Martini made me think of you: http://www.bugmartini.com/comic/anything-goes/

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

waffle iron posted:

I usually use the glob .[a-Z]*

Interesting. Well, it's very good to know. I have no doubt that someday that would have bitten me hard.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

CommanderApaul posted:

Why is this better than migrating all of that email to Exchange when we switched? Why?

For what its worth, migrating off Notes can be an expensive pain in the rear end. There's not a ton of tools that are any good at it, and they're also not entirely cheap or easy to use (Or even logically designed).

That being said, there's good money being made on the outside moving people off Notes these days.. In some cases MS will even pay a portion of the consultant's cost if they're going to O365.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our MSP told us that if we move to Office 360, and buy 250 licenses, that MS will pay up to $15,000 in transfer days to a consultant.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So as an epilogue to my Displayport to HDMI cable woes, I bought one from Best Buy and returned it with no issue.

Also, I ordered some poo poo from Amazon today and they changed their emails from "your guaranteed delivery date is $day" to "your estimated delivery date is $day".

Fuckin' :lol:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

AlternateAccount posted:

For recursive targeted deletes, I always use find instead of trusting bash autocomplete blindly.

For all hidden files:
code:
find . -name ".*" -type f -exec rm {} \;

For all hidden files+directories:
code:
find . ! -path . -name .* -exec rm -rf {} \;

This also lends itself to the idea of non-destructive selects before deletes, since the difference is just adding the -exec instead of hoping two different utilities (rm and ls) behave the same way in all situations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ursine Asylum posted:

For recursive targeted deletes, I always use find instead of trusting bash autocomplete blindly.

For all hidden files:
code:
find . -name ".*" -type f -exec rm {} \;
For all hidden files+directories:
code:
find . ! -path . -name .* -exec rm -rf {} \;
This also lends itself to the idea of non-destructive selects before deletes, since the difference is just adding the -exec instead of hoping two different utilities (rm and ls) behave the same way in all situations.

Good stuff. I am still kind of a giant fumbly baby with a lot of Linux stuff, creative thinking like this is something that I really need to develop.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Last month to COO added printer maintenance and toner supply to the list of outsourced IT responsibilities he's farmed out, on top of all the weird little projects like conference rooms that get decommissioned months later, unnecessary IR sensors to keep doors from beeping if you don't push a button near them, etc. Last week I asked, privately, if I should expect some form of cutbacks in my hours etc in the future, and was assured that no, I had nothing to worry about my position was secure. Today, I was told that I've got 30 days' notice due to budget issues.

I had noticed that our staff contribution fund had no actual staff representatives and hadn't had an election in a couple years (so essentially, it was the COO and his executive assistant taking notes, and using staff funds to buy catering for his pet events and to milk people for charity donations to United Way and similar stuff - rather than the BBQs with kegs included that I've been probated for posting during said events while drunk, ITT), so last year I started pushing to get onto that committee to ensure that the money contributed by my coworkers would get used for the intended purposes, and last week I was added to that stuff and made the only actual staff representative who isn't a 1/4 time employee with other jobs.

Gonna get my :yotj: on, now! :hist101:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 1, 2014

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

RangerAce posted:

My place had more or less abandoned Notes shortly before I started, thank goodness, but when it came time to pull the plug on the last Domino server, one of our subsidiaries was all "NOOOOOO, OUR APPS!" End result: We still have a Dell 2850 running Domino Server 8.5.3 on RHEL 5 sitting around. Our department basically handed it to the subsidiary and said "here you go, we don't have any Lotus admins now because we don't run Notes, so we aren't managing this thing anymore," which is all well and good, except that the subsidiary's only Domino guy is an application developer and knows very little about administrating Domino Server (I had to research and then explain to him how to set the HTTP access log database to clear itself automatically after ours grew to like 30GB, and I don't know a goddamn thing about anything Lotus). He also doesn't even know how to log into a Unix system, which is why I'm the one patching Domino Server on the drat thing next Monday. Sure hope it doesn't blow it up, because if it does, we've got no one who can fix it.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

dennyk posted:

Sure hope it doesn't blow it up, because if it does, we've got no one who can fix it.
Sure hope you have in writing that you're not responsible if it blows up, because if it does, you're going to have to :yotj:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Either your division is supporting it, or you aren't. At the moment it seems you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I just discovered the glory of http://shitsenders.com/

Anyone want to take up a collection to land a gallon of gorilla poo poo on blacksword's boss's desk?

• Locked thread