Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Golluk posted:

I was about to jokingly say welcome to the 1%, except going by that your in the 0.8% percent if you do... It's getting easier and easier passing on a new(er) motorcycle in favor of saving more.

Just out of curiosity, if we got hit with another market crash like what the US had a few years ago, which savings investments wouldn't likely be hit. Or would only regular/high interest accounts to 100k be safe?

At most I only intend to get some index funds going in a TFSA in the next few years, and long term even a big drop in the markets should still recover well before I take anything out. But I still feel like it might be best to just use a high savings account until a crash or less talk of one. I haven't really gotten the lost opportunity calculations figured out.

I hope for a stock sale crash every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

tuyop posted:

Wait, less than 240 000 Canadians have maxed out their TFSAs? :stare:

Wow, am I ever struggling with math on these forums today. I have no idea how you got to that 240K number.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kal Torak posted:

The TFSA has been around for 5 years now and the CRA has waived the penalties for pretty much everyone who has bothered to make the request. I don't know how you can take issue with something like that. Calling it a tax grab is pretty ridiculous since it costs the Federal Government millions every year (66 billion is currently sheltered tax free in these accounts) and is really the exact opposite of a tax grab.

They are not hard to understand. Anyone who takes 5 minutes to read about it, will understand everything they need to know. The problem is that some people are too lazy or don't care enough to do so.

I can take issue with a penalty that even the government itself doesn't seem to take seriously if all anyone needs to do is say "my bad" and it's waived. What's the point then? And the tax grab was specifically about the penalty not the TFSA overall.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Lobok posted:

I can take issue with a penalty that even the government itself doesn't seem to take seriously if all anyone needs to do is say "my bad" and it's waived. What's the point then? And the tax grab was specifically about the penalty not the TFSA overall.

You're kind of all over the place. In one post you say there should be a relaxing of the rules and then in another post you take issue with them waiving the penalties. And if it's a tax grab, why are they so quick to waive these penalties? Who's being contradictory now?

The Government understands there has been serious confusion about this issue and many people received bad advice. The penalty was put in place when the legislation was written as there needs to be some deterrent to prevent over-contributions. It's basically the same penalty that exists for RRSP over-contributions. So they have done exactly what you asked for and relaxed the rules by waiving penalties for those who request it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kal Torak posted:

Wow, am I ever struggling with math on these forums today. I have no idea how you got to that 240K number.

Total amount invested/(annual TFSA contribution * years of TFSA)

Should show how many units of investors have produced that 66bil number, right?

That may be completely the wrong way to do it, but it's a quick overestimate. Obviously every single person in Canada hasn't had max contribution room the whole time. I was just doing it for fun.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

tuyop posted:

That may be completely the wrong way to do it, but it's a quick overestimate. Obviously every single person in Canada hasn't had max contribution room the whole time. I was just doing it for fun.

Okay but 66B divided by 31K is not 240K.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

tuyop posted:

I figured as such, but then I think your of by a factor of 10. The max you could have put in so far is 25,500. 66b / 22.5k = 2.6 million possible max contributions. And that assumes no gains and only max contributors.

Welcome to the 10% ?

Edit: I think I'm off by a year, but that was last year's data I assume. 2.1m = 66b / 31k

Golluk fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 28, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Golluk posted:

I figured as such, but then I think your of by a factor of 10. The max you could have put in so far is 25,500. 66b / 22.5k = 2.6 million possible max contributions. And that assumes no gains and only max contributors.

Welcome to the 10% ?

Edit: I think I'm off by a year, but that was last year's data I assume. 2.1m = 66b / 31k

Yeah that's exactly what I did. I read the number wrong.

Edit: and I actually have nothing in my TFSA. Maxing it out is my 12 to 18-month goal.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

tuyop posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I did. I read the number wrong.

Edit: and I actually have nothing in my TFSA. Maxing it out is my 12 to 18-month goal.

The contribution limit was 5K from 2009 through 2012. It is 5500 for 2013 and 2014 (31K total).

Only 48% of Canadians have a TFSA according to the globe & mail. That actually isn't bad...I would have thought it was less than that considering the price of real estate and amount of consumer debt. I imagine the percentage of those who have actually maxed it out is pretty drat low.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I just wanted to add-on to the previous conversation we had about how bad financial "advisors" can be at Canadian FIs: CBC Marketplace just did an undercover investigation on them. Just watching it made me angry because I've had to work with people like them.

Summary: There are plenty of advisors who talk straight out of their asses.

Kal Torak posted:

Only 48% of Canadians have a TFSA according to the globe & mail. That actually isn't bad...I would have thought it was less than that considering the price of real estate and amount of consumer debt. I imagine the percentage of those who have actually maxed it out is pretty drat low.
Most of the people I've spoke to don't even come close to maxing it out. And on top of that, most people seem to treat it like a regular savings account, and just withdraw most of the savings around Christmas.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 28, 2014

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

melon cat posted:

I just wanted to add-on to the previous conversation we had about how bad financial "advisors" can be at Canadian FIs: CBC Marketplace just did an undercover investigation on them. Just watching it made me angry because I've had to work with people like them.

Summary: There are plenty of advisors who talk straight out of their asses.

Most of the people I've spoke to don't even come close to maxing it out. And on top of that, most people seem to treat it like a regular savings account, and just withdraw most of the savings around Christmas.

It wasn't until this thread that I learned you could use a TFSA as more then just a savings account with a slightly better interest rate. There is not a lot of information floating around about them, and banks just push the savings accounts.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

It wasn't until this thread that I learned you could use a TFSA as more then just a savings account with a slightly better interest rate. There is not a lot of information floating around about them, and banks just push the savings accounts.

I really didn't either, and I admit that while I know I can place investments in it, I'm not actually sure exactly how yet. I assume it can be done through TD's web account management though.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Golluk posted:

I really didn't either, and I admit that while I know I can place investments in it, I'm not actually sure exactly how yet. I assume it can be done through TD's web account management though.

If you have a regular savings account you have to convert it to a mutual funds TFSA or open a new account and close the old one.

You will definitely have to go in and make an appointment since the tellers can't do poo poo.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

If you have a regular savings account you have to convert it to a mutual funds TFSA or open a new account and close the old one.

You will definitely have to go in and make an appointment since the tellers can't do poo poo.

That part I understand. It's how you then convert money in the account to shares in an index fund. Though I expect it's a fairly straight forward process if buying the TD e-series via thier easy web site.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Golluk posted:

That part I understand. It's how you then convert money in the account to shares in an index fund. Though I expect it's a fairly straight forward process if buying the TD e-series via thier easy web site.

Best is to make a TFSA account at Waterhouse. They should transfer the funds for free and you can then buy mutual funds or etfs, or even buy other securities directly if you so choose.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I've been using PC financial chequing account, so I opened a "high" interest savings account for short term savings/emergency funds. The guy was about to sign me up for a tax free account as well, which I declined.

This does bring up the question of can you have multiple TFSA so long as your total contributions to each don't go over your limit?

It seems the CIBC index funds would do, but I'm not sure about the fees compared to TD Waterhouse.

And the answer is terrible. http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2010/10/08/index-funds-from-pc-financial-no-thanks/

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Golluk posted:

This does bring up the question of can you have multiple TFSA so long as your total contributions to each don't go over your limit?

Absolutely - not a problem, though it's wise to maintain a spreadsheet record with your contributions.

Shazbot v2.0
May 12, 2001
CYBERBEGGING IS A GREAT WAY TO MAKE FRIENDS
Can I ask a Canadian income tax question here? If so - read below please!

My employer pays a portion of my tuition, so I will be claiming the difference between the amount I paid, and the amount they reimbursed. Because I was earning money during this time as well, I will also use "0" months so that I don't receive a benefit because I was working/reimbursed (spoke to someone at the CRA who told me to do this)

What I'm wondering is this:

Will my employer add the reimbursed amount to my 2014 T4 as a taxable benefit or other income? My t2202A was issued for the 2013 tax year, but I was reimbursed in 2014. Is this an issue? Will it also be an issue if my 2014 reimbursement also occurs in 2014? They only reimburse up to a certain amount, and because Fall 2013 was my first term, I wasn't able to get the paperwork in until January 2014.

Hope this makes sense! I'd like to get boned as little as possible.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shazbot v2.0 posted:

My employer pays a portion of my tuition, so I will be claiming the difference between the amount I paid, and the amount they reimbursed. Because I was earning money during this time as well, I will also use "0" months so that I don't receive a benefit because I was working/reimbursed (spoke to someone at the CRA who told me to do this)

Wait you don't get the monthly deduction if you're working? Even if you're studying part time?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Wait you don't get the monthly deduction if you're working? Even if you're studying part time?

You don't get it if you were reimbursed for your tuition:

You cannot claim the education amount if you:

- received a grant or were reimbursed for the cost of your courses by your employer or another person with who you deal at arm's length;
- received a benefit as part of a program (such as free meals and lodging from a nursing school); or
- received an allowance for a program such as a training allowance.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Shazbot v2.0 posted:

What I'm wondering is this:

Will my employer add the reimbursed amount to my 2014 T4 as a taxable benefit or other income? My t2202A was issued for the 2013 tax year, but I was reimbursed in 2014. Is this an issue? Will it also be an issue if my 2014 reimbursement also occurs in 2014? They only reimburse up to a certain amount, and because Fall 2013 was my first term, I wasn't able to get the paperwork in until January 2014.

Hope this makes sense! I'd like to get boned as little as possible.

Honestly, you should probably ask your employer this question. But generally, provided the courses are directly related to your job, it would not be a taxable benefit. From the CRA website:

quote:

For example, tuition fees and other associated costs such as books, meals, travel, and accommodation that you pay for courses leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate in a field related to your employee's current or future responsibilities in your business are not a taxable benefit.

The timing of your reimbursements is irrelevant.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Shazbot v2.0 posted:

School stuff. :words:

I am in a very similar situation myself, but with the added twist of studying in the US. I'm thinking it will be easiest for me to just eat the loss of what works out to maybe a few hundred dollars instead of having my anus probed by the taxman if I did something wrong.

Shazbot v2.0
May 12, 2001
CYBERBEGGING IS A GREAT WAY TO MAKE FRIENDS
Thanks for the tax tips. I will wait to see what my employer says, but like you say it shouldn't be a taxable benefit. And the timing being irrelevant is a relief, thanks again!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

I hope for a stock sale crash every day.

Sale day today!!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

Sale day today!!

Ugh but all my money is tied up in plane tickets. :negative:

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
Questions about stock purchase plans and TFSA :

I have an employer stock purchase plan and try to maximize my contributions each year. If I put in the maximum $8,000 contribution, my employer puts $1,100 in.

After the purchases go through the plan's broker, I immediately withdraw most of my own and employer's contributions and put them back in my savings, leaving a small amount to accumulate tiny dividends over time. This money shuffle takes about a month after all transactions are complete.

I was talking with a bank advisor and they mentioned it is possible to transfer my holdings to a TD Waterhouse TFSA account afterwards. Even though it is effectively a transfer, I'd be selling my stocks and re-buying them through TD Waterhouse so I would also have to report capital gains for that year if there were any.

I was wondering if this is true and if I should be doing this or something more productive with the money.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

rt_hat posted:

Questions about stock purchase plans and TFSA :

I have an employer stock purchase plan and try to maximize my contributions each year. If I put in the maximum $8,000 contribution, my employer puts $1,100 in.

After the purchases go through the plan's broker, I immediately withdraw most of my own and employer's contributions and put them back in my savings, leaving a small amount to accumulate tiny dividends over time. This money shuffle takes about a month after all transactions are complete.

I was talking with a bank advisor and they mentioned it is possible to transfer my holdings to a TD Waterhouse TFSA account afterwards. Even though it is effectively a transfer, I'd be selling my stocks and re-buying them through TD Waterhouse so I would also have to report capital gains for that year if there were any.

I was wondering if this is true and if I should be doing this or something more productive with the money.

Yes, that is true. Anytime you transfer from non-registered to registered (TFSA or RRSP) you would have to declare any capital gain. The only issue here is that if you transfer the holdings at a loss, the loss is actually a superficial loss and denied. So don't transfer any equities into a TFSA at a loss.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ Possibly, but sounds to me like it could be fraught with fuckup opportunities. In general, you want to be careful with TFSA contributions in case you exceed the limit.

In your position, I'd:

1) Keep accepting the free money, and then withdrawing it (because you want to diversify your wealth away from your employment - stupid to own a large amount of your own employer's shares)
2) Separately, with those funds if necessary, work towards a goal of getting your TFSA fully-funded. Contribution room is potentially as high as $31,000 this year (so long as you meet various criteria). Keep track of your contributions.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

Ugh but all my money is tied up in plane tickets. :negative:

So ... you're hoping for a stock crash but you don't have significant assets to invest if that were to happen? It doesn't really sound like you've thought this through very well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

blah_blah posted:

So ... you're hoping for a stock crash but you don't have significant assets to invest if that were to happen? It doesn't really sound like you've thought this through very well.

I do, but my pension fund is dragging their feet on transferring my money so it's not liquid yet. My liquid assets are, basically, savings for plane tickets and expense buffers at this point. Not really investable poo poo, you know?

I'm not going to try to time the market like that anyway, it was a joke.

But not really.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

blah_blah posted:

I think you're taking the remark way more seriously than it should sensibly be interpreted.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

So I literally bought at the worst possible time when everything was within a few cents of the 52 week high but since everything's going down it just means it's time to buy more :shepface: I'm starting to sound like a gambling addict I used to work with...

Anyways, my spending is pretty controlled so I think I might be able to max out my TFSA in the next couple of months (I started the year with 500 in it :v:) I'm now crunching the numbers on whether I should start to contribute to an RRSP or max out my wife's TFSA. I'm half considering retiring early (between 40-45) and living simply so RRSP contributions might be worth it again.

Decisions!

fakedit: also pimco is forecasting a 20% correction in housing guess that might be a realistic option for me in the next decade.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

So I literally bought at the worst possible time when everything was within a few cents of the 52 week high but since everything's going down it just means it's time to buy more :shepface: I'm starting to sound like a gambling addict I used to work with...

Anyways, my spending is pretty controlled so I think I might be able to max out my TFSA in the next couple of months (I started the year with 500 in it :v:) I'm now crunching the numbers on whether I should start to contribute to an RRSP or max out my wife's TFSA. I'm half considering retiring early (between 40-45) and living simply so RRSP contributions might be worth it again.

Decisions!

fakedit: also pimco is forecasting a 20% correction in housing guess that might be a realistic option for me in the next decade.

Retiring at 40 means you would need sufficient funds for like 50 years. That's a lot of $$.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kal Torak posted:

Retiring at 40 means you would need sufficient funds for like 50 years. That's a lot of $$.

Now you've done it. You've summoned the FI spergs.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
I know there are a lot of people in this thread who dislike market timing approaches to investment, and mostly they are correct to do so because this thread is an AT, but I find with index funds it is completely possible to use Value Averaging as a technique and for me it works more effectively than Dollar Cost Averaging. I say I only apply it to big index ETFs because broadly speaking it is more reasonable to estimate your expected return over a long timespan, and that is a variable you need to be comfortable plugging in to value average properly.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 4, 2014

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

What sort of brokerage are you working through to not be getting destroyed by transaction fees?

re: early retirement - it really depends on if the defined benefit pension still exists by the time I sign the contract. If so, between that and investments and other pet projects I should be alright. If not, I'll need to start selling a lot of bodily fluids to make up the difference!

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

What sort of brokerage are you working through to not be getting destroyed by transaction fees?

re: early retirement - it really depends on if the defined benefit pension still exists by the time I sign the contract. If so, between that and investments and other pet projects I should be alright. If not, I'll need to start selling a lot of bodily fluids to make up the difference!

Well if you can do it, good for you. But to go 50 years...wow...you'd need a couple mil at least I think.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Kal Torak posted:

Well if you can do it, good for you. But to go 50 years...wow...you'd need a couple mil at least I think.

With my spending it could be done on half to 3/4 of a million. I'll run some numbers and throw it in the FI megathread to keep derails to a minimum here.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kal Torak posted:

Just multiply annual spending by 20. Assume a 5% safe withdrawal rate. Market returns across that 50 years will make it work.

No additional derail necessary, nothing to see here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Lexicon posted:

I think you're taking the remark way more seriously than it should sensibly be interpreted.

I dunno, maybe I'm projecting but I've definitely heard lots of people complain about missing out on the bull market of the last few years and who are basically hoping for another market crash so that they can get in on the rebound.