Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Weapon Shop trips my Recettear sensors in a good way. Is it like that? Considering picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 27):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Darksiders 2 (re-addition) - €49.99 / £39.99
    Just Dance 4 - €19.99 / £14.99
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist - €29.99 / £i.99
WII U eSHOP
    Evofish - €3.99 / £3.59
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Wario's Woods (NES, US ver.)- €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - €39.99 / £31.99 from February 27-March 13
    Knytt Underground (Wii U eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 from February 27-March 6
    TMNT Racers (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until March 6
    Trine 2; Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop)- €6.79 / £53.49 unil March 13

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    SENRAN KAGURA Burst - €34.55 / £29.99
    Biba & Tina - Das Spiel zum Kinofilm - €39.99 /(German territories only)
3DS eSHOP
    Aeternoblade - €14.99 / £13.50
    Myserious Cities of Gold: Secret Paths - €14.99 / £13.49
    Jewel Quest Mysteries 3 - The Seventh Gate - €11.99 / £10.79
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (GBC) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (3DS) - €22.49 / £19.99 from February 27-March 6
    Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS) - €29.99 / £27.99 until February 27
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3DS eShop) - €17.49 / £13.99 until February 27
    BIT.TRIP Saga (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until March 6
    Heavy Fire: Special Operations 3D (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until March 6
    Bird Mania 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 6
    Crazy Chicken: Director's Cut 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 6
    Robot Rescue 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 6
    Girls' Fashion Shoot (3DS) - €14.99 / £14.99 until March 6
    Hakouki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS) - €16.99 / £14.99 until March 6
    Jewel Master Cradle of Egypt 2 (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Jewel Master Cradle of Rome 2 (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Shifting World (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Super Black Bass 3D (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - €12.49 / £9.99 until March 6
    Darts Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 12

Darksiders is back up, weird. I didn't think THQ found a buyer for Darksiders when they auctioned off their IP, guess I missed something.

Mirror of Fate is on sale again... maybe after a few more discounts they might finally bring it down to the same price as the HD versions (not that those versions run any better, mind you).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Darksiders is back up, weird. I didn't think THQ found a buyer for Darksiders when they auctioned off their IP, guess I missed something.

Nordic Games bought the license a while ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, well there you go!

Did anyone bother to tell them that their game is in bargain bins everywhere for, like, <$10?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kurtofan posted:

Nordic Games bought the license a while ago.

Boo. I was really hoping it was being published by some law firm with a nickle and a dream :allears:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I have never used the eShop and prefer hard copies of games but I caved and bought a $20 card at Best Buy for $16 because I was curious. Would anyone mind giving me some cheap game recommendations? Old ports are fine as long as it's not Sonic or something else already ported to a $10 entire collection on the DS. Also can eShop dollars be used to extend the Pokemon Bank app once the trial runs out?

edit

I'm hearing a lot of Gunman Clive so I think I'll pick that up, if I've never played a Mega Man game are they easy to get into, and should I start with the first? to be even more picky, I wouldn't mind some kind of Gauntlet Legends hack and slash loot based RPG, or a good FPS if any of those exist that I couldn't just buy off ebay for the DS.

double edit

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm going to beat Gunman Clive and then pick one of those next. Gunman Clive is the best two dollars anyone ever spent so far, Steam sales aside maybe.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 25, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Knytt Underground is currently on sale on the US eShop for 6.99 though 3/3.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I'm pretty sure PokeBank is $5 for a year with Nintendo fun bucks.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

extra stout posted:

I have never used the eShop and prefer hard copies of games but I caved and bought a $20 card at Best Buy for $16 because I was curious. Would anyone mind giving me some cheap game recommendations? Old ports are fine as long as it's not Sonic or something else already ported to a $10 entire collection on the DS. Also can eShop dollars be used to extend the Pokemon Bank app once the trial runs out?

edit

I'm hearing a lot of Gunman Clive so I think I'll pick that up, if I've never played a Mega Man game are they easy to get into, and should I start with the first? to be even more picky, I wouldn't mind some kind of Gauntlet Legends hack and slash loot based RPG, or a good FPS if any of those exist that I couldn't just buy off ebay for the DS.

Get Steamworld Dig, if you don't mind a short 6-7 hour game. Real fun puzzle/exploration game. It's definitely my favorite eShop-only game.

Alternately, if you like puzzle games, Pushmo is great.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

extra stout posted:

if I've never played a Mega Man game are they easy to get into, and should I start with the first?

I can't answer the first part but you should start with the second. The first is a good game but don't start with it.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

How long is it likely to be before Etrian Odyssey Untold goes on sale again? Assuming it will, that is. I didn't realize when the sale was ending and missed out. :(

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
If you're looking for an Atlus game to go on sale, check back every week because they've been swapping them out week after week since December. It's pretty cool of them, I wish the eShop had more sales for good games.

Speaking of, I see SMT IV is on sale. Is the DLC on sale too?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

How long is it likely to be before Etrian Odyssey Untold goes on sale again? Assuming it will, that is. I didn't realize when the sale was ending and missed out. :(

In a semi-related question, which of the 3DS Etrian Odyssey games is recommended? I haven't played any of the series since EO2. I will probably wait for a sale, though, but it's nice that Atlus has been putting their games on sale recently.

VVV Thanks! I'll keep my eye out for III as well.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 25, 2014

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ihatepants posted:

In a semi-related question, which of the 3DS Etrian Odyssey games is recommended? I haven't played any of the series since EO2.

IV, because while Untold isn't bad at all it's still a remake of a game that was kind of crusty to begin with. (Plus IV has the best battle music in the game in my opinion)

Also, III is one of the best in the series (it's actually my favourite) so you should pick that up if you ever see it cheap. It has great music, a branching story, and some of the most interesting classes in the series.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

How many puzzles do the picross games on the 3DS eshop have? Also, how big do the puzzles get? I'm still slowly working on Picross DS after this long.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

How many puzzles do the picross games on the 3DS eshop have? Also, how big do the puzzles get? I'm still slowly working on Picross DS after this long.

I only have Picross E and E2 but they have 150 puzzles each I think. The biggest they get is 15x15. E2 has a mode with 80x80 puzzles but it's actually just made up of a ton of smaller 10x10 puzzles that slowly reveal the full puzzle.

I've heard people complain that 15x15 is too small but I suck at Picross and I'm kinda glad they don't get bigger than that.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

ihatepants posted:

In a semi-related question, which of the 3DS Etrian Odyssey games is recommended? I haven't played any of the series since EO2.

As someone who started the series on IV and got Untold, I think they both have their own merits. Gameplay-wise IMO IV is definitely the more modern of the two, while Untold feels more unforgiving. Untold has a Story Mode with an unchanging party and, well, a JRPG story, if you're into that.

I'd agree with BattleMaster: get IV, then get Untold if you crave more dungeon goodness.

Oh god, I'm becoming an Atlus gamer. I'm thinking about giving the SMT series a shot, too.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Eagle posted:

If you haven't played Picross 3D, you should ignore all other Picross games until you've done so.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sudoku posted:

Oh god, I'm becoming an Atlus gamer. I'm thinking about giving the SMT series a shot, too.

Pick up the Trauma Center games while you're at it. And then be sad they're probably not making another one for a long, long time. :v: I do somewhat prefer the ones on the Wii (especially Trauma Team), but all of them other than the first on the DS, Under the Knife, are decent starting points. Under the Knife is pretty drat hard and is the only one without any difficulty modes, and it got ported to the Wii under the subtitle Second Opinion.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Strange Quark posted:

Pick up the Trauma Center games while you're at it. And then be sad they're probably not making another one for a long, long time. :v: I do somewhat prefer the ones on the Wii (especially Trauma Team), but all of them other than the first on the DS, Under the Knife, are decent starting points. Under the Knife is pretty drat hard and is the only one without any difficulty modes, and it got ported to the Wii under the subtitle Second Opinion.

Under the Knife is hard as balls, but it also happens to be the best game in the series. The Wii games don't offer the same precision of control as the DS ones (the difference between holding a scalpel and holding a six foot pole with a scalpel tied to the end), and the only other DS game, UtK2, isn't nearly as good as the first one.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Sudoku posted:

As someone who started the series on IV and got Untold, I think they both have their own merits. Gameplay-wise IMO IV is definitely the more modern of the two, while Untold feels more unforgiving. Untold has a Story Mode with an unchanging party and, well, a JRPG story, if you're into that.

I'd agree with BattleMaster: get IV, then get Untold if you crave more dungeon goodness.

Are the demos representative? I've never actually played any EO before, I just decided I'd go for Untold based on playing the demos for both games.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Are the demos representative? I've never actually played any EO before, I just decided I'd go for Untold based on playing the demos for both games.

Yes.

The demos both cover the first chunk of their respective games and show off the core mechanics. If you make it through the demo and enjoy/don't hate the difficult random battles, making GBS threads your pants and fleeing from FOEs, and drawing the map yourself then you're good because that's pretty much the game.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I only have Picross E and E2 but they have 150 puzzles each I think. The biggest they get is 15x15. E2 has a mode with 80x80 puzzles but it's actually just made up of a ton of smaller 10x10 puzzles that slowly reveal the full puzzle.

I've heard people complain that 15x15 is too small but I suck at Picross and I'm kinda glad they don't get bigger than that.
E4 gets 15x20 puzzles whenever they decided to release it in English speaking countries.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wi-Fi Connection Service for Wii and DS games will end on May 20.

quote:

As of May 20, 2014, certain online functionality offered through Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection will no longer be accessible. The discontinued services include online play, matchmaking and leaderboards for many Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi games. For a comprehensive list of games and services that are affected, please check http://support.nintendo.com/servicesupdate. Users can still play the games in offline mode, which continues to offer a rich game-play experience.

Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games on Nintendo 3DS family systems). Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time.

We at Nintendo sincerely thank our fans for their continued support of our company’s legacy systems. Your enthusiasm for games made for these systems speaks to their longevity, and the passion of Nintendo fans.

More here

quote:

Summary of Changes:
The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service, which provides certain online functionality for many Wii, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo DSi software titles, will be discontinued. This service change does not impact the ability to play these titles offline. For more details, click here

Examples of Discontinued Functionality:
  • Online play and matchmaking
  • Leaderboards and tournament data
  • Sharing of user generated content (ghost data, user created levels)
  • User exchange of in-game items or characters (Global Trade Station)
  • Free add-on content or downloads (new levels, in-game items, Mystery Gifts)

Games and Systems Impacted:
Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi games that use the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service, will no longer have access to the features listed above. This includes Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games played on Nintendo 3DS family systems. For a complete list of impacted games, click here.

Notes:
Only online features for games using the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service are impacted. Other online functionality on Wii and Nintendo DS, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are not affected at this time. Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games played on Nintendo 3DS family systems).

Complete list of games affected by online shutdown

It says free add-ons will go away, but what about access to priced add-ons that aren't listed in the Wii Shop Channel? Is that going away as well?
If so, RIP Rock Band and Guitar Hero yet again.

V--- That is good to hear. :)

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 27, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

It says free add-ons will go away, but what about access to priced add-ons that aren't listed in the Wii Shop Channel? Is that going away as well?
Nintendo's European/Australian announcement says that the "Pay and Play" DLC service will be unaffected, so the games you're worried about should be fine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Darksiders 2 (re-addition) - €49.99 / £39.99
    Just Dance 4 - €19.99 / £14.99 (permanent price reduction0
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist - €29.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U eSHOP
    Evofish - €3.99 / £3.59
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Wario's Woods (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - €39.99 / £31.99 until March 13
    Knytt Underground (Wii U eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 until March 6
    TMNT Racers (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until March 6
    Trine 2; Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop)- €6.79 / £53.49 unil March 13

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    SENRAN KAGURA Burst - €34.55 / £29.99 (February 28)
    Biba & Tina - Das Spiel zum Kinofilm - €39.99 /(German territories only)
3DS eSHOP
    Aeternoblade - €14.99 / £13.50
    Myserious Cities of Gold: Secret Paths - €14.99 / £13.49
    Jewel Quest Mysteries 3 - The Seventh Gate - €11.99 / £10.79
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (GBC) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (3DS) - €22.49 / £19.99 until March 6
    BIT.TRIP Saga (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until March 6
    Heavy Fire: Special Operations 3D (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until March 6
    Bird Mania 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 6
    Crazy Chicken: Director's Cut 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 6
    Robot Rescue 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 6
    Girls' Fashion Shoot (3DS) - €14.99 / £14.99 until March 6
    Hakouki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS) - €16.99 / £14.99 until March 6
    Jewel Master Cradle of Egypt 2 (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Jewel Master Cradle of Rome 2 (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Shifting World (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Super Black Bass 3D (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - €12.49 / £9.99 until March 6
    Darts Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 12

NA update (week of February 27):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    My Farm - $7.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Renegade (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Knytt Underground (Wii U eShop) - $6.49 until March 3
    TNT Racers: Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until March 6
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - $7.99 until March 13

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy - $39.99 (February 28)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Tappingo - $2.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Renegade (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Beyblade Evolution (3DS) - $19.95 until March 13
    Girls' Fashion Shoot 3D (3DS) - $14.95 until March 13
    Jewel Master: Cradle of Rome 2 (3DS) - $9.95 until March 13
    Super Black Bass 3D (3DS) - $9.95 until March 13

CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Art Style: Pictobits (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until March 9
    Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until March 9
    Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until March 9
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Wii VC) - 200 Coins, available until March 9

Tappingo looks like it might okay for anyone who needs to scratch the Picross itch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRrq4DZXiLA

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's kinda poo poo that our VC game is the game which we all got for free a few weeks ago

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, but it's also poo poo that NA doesn't have SMB3 yet, and that this week wasn't a NES Remix 2 title. I thought they had more left to go then PAL did.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
A slight correction to the EU shop schedule: Senran Kagura Burst is on sale RIGHT NOW, so it predates the actual physical release date by a day.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Crawfish posted:

Yeah, but it's also poo poo that NA doesn't have SMB3 yet, and that this week wasn't a NES Remix 2 title. I thought they had more left to go then PAL did.

I have this bad feeling in the back of my head that we'll get SMB3 the day NES Remix 2 comes out. Because I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do that, I've never heard of this Renegade game, but apparently Nintendo thinks its important enough for a simultaneous 3DS/Wii U release.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I have this bad feeling in the back of my head that we'll get SMB3 the day NES Remix 2 comes out. Because I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do that, I've never heard of this Renegade game, but apparently Nintendo thinks its important enough for a simultaneous 3DS/Wii U release.

Renegade was the first beat'em up that wasn't completely flat. Think Double Dragon as opposed to Altered Beast.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

elf help book posted:

Renegade was the first beat'em up that wasn't completely flat. Think Double Dragon as opposed to Altered Beast.

It's also technically the first Kunio-kun game. And not a very good game at that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's also technically the first Kunio-kun game. And not a very good game at that.

Yeah, you know how in Double Dragon, not going into the cave or other mistakes could cause you to redo an area? The last part of the game was a series of door pairs where the wrong one would send you back, possibly as far back as the beginning of the game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

univbee posted:

Yeah, you know how in Double Dragon, not going into the cave or other mistakes could cause you to redo an area? The last part of the game was a series of door pairs where the wrong one would send you back, possibly as far back as the beginning of the game.

I imagine that would be pretty beneficial for someone looking for a high score.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Renegade is terrible and there's no reason to play it when one of its sequels, River City Ransom, is the best beat 'em up on the NES and on the 3DS VC besides.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
That Tappingo looks pretty good, is there going to be a UK release?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

That Tappingo looks pretty good, is there going to be a UK release?

Yeah, next week. People seem quite happy with it so far, lack of polish aside.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So is tappingo literally nonograms or just something similar?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Why the gently caress is Wonderful 101 still $60 to download, when literally every shop dropped the price to $30???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Why the gently caress is Wonderful 101 still $60 to download, when literally every shop dropped the price to $30???
Nintendo.