Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TWBalls posted:

I'm thinking that he switches off with another person. So, every other week rather than 26 weeks in a row.

Still. You are expected to stay sober for 26 weeks of the year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The most important question is "Are you comfortable with the current workload?"

Salary doesn't mean poo poo if you are miserable.

That said, is the salary they offered 2k above what you make including overtime?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

100% on call is NOT worth 2k a year on a salary conversion. If you're actually considering doing 100% on call (don't do this) then they need to hit you with an extra like, 26k/yr. You should negotiate for split on call with someone else and like 15k/yr, they're still saving money big time over paying contractor overhead.

If they come at you with "But being called is rare", it doesn't matter. Being on call is a restriction on what you can do during off hours whether you are utilized or not.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

I didn't say anything about sober - I just need to be able to be coherent enough that the bigwigs who'd be calling me are taken care of and can't tell I'm on my 3rd martini. In reality I am essentially doing this now, my phone is always on and I'll answer it even if I'm technically not the oncall guy this week because I've got a relationship with these clients - the stronger it is the safer my long term position, and for the moment I get OT every time that phone rings.

EDIT - the entire team I'd be on is essentially oncall all the time, so if I am out at a bar or in BFE somewhere with bad data coverage I can ring them up and have them jump in as well, so its not that everything is on my shoulders.

Altimeter fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 27, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Amphion posted:

Which Long Island baller is going to have a mansion in the Hampton's first, Septist or Misogynist?

It sucks out there, just for the record.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

The most important question is "Are you comfortable with the current workload?"

Salary doesn't mean poo poo if you are miserable.

That said, is the salary they offered 2k above what you make including overtime?

Current workload is reasonable, stable for the last few years. The salary is 2k above my w2 gross for last year, including OT/oncall.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Mutar posted:

I didn't say anything about sober - I just need to be able to be coherent enough that the bigwigs who'd be calling me are taken care of and can't tell I'm on my 3rd martini. In reality I am essentially doing this now, my phone is always on and I'll answer it even if I'm technically not the oncall guy this week because I've got a relationship with these clients - the stronger it is the safer my long term position, and for the moment I get OT every time that phone rings.
Right but what if you go on vacation somewhere? Do you really want to be lugging your laptop around? Ever been anywhere without stable WIFI? what if you want to?

Permanent on-call is not something anyone should ever consider. Doctors, people that "save lives", do not even do this.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I used to do 24/7 on call, no splitting with someone else. I wouldn't do it again just because of how jarring it is to receive a call while being out and about. You should negotiate a higher beginning salary and cite as many job related Good Reasons® as you can come up with. Leave personal reason out of it though, emotions don't belong in a negotiation. Before you get hired is the best time to negotiate..

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

stuxracer posted:

Right but what if you go on vacation somewhere? Do you really want to be lugging your laptop around? Ever been anywhere without stable WIFI? what if you want to?

Permanent on-call is not something anyone should ever consider. Doctors, people that "save lives", do not even do this.

If I'm on vacation I'd leave my laptop. I should've been more clear earlier, I'm not the only one oncall, and the other guys would be fine picking up the after hours if one of us is out on vacation or what have you. This is what we've been doing for a few years.

EDIT - Meh, fuckit. I asked for the moon, lets see what (if anything) they'll come back with. Worst case I'm where I stand now.

Altimeter fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 27, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sepist posted:

I used to do 24/7 on call, no splitting with someone else. I wouldn't do it again just because of how jarring it is to receive a call while being out and about. You should negotiate a higher beginning salary and cite as many job related Good Reasons® as you can come up with. Leave personal reason out of it though, emotions don't belong in a negotiation. Before you get hired is the best time to negotiate..

Yeah I did "only sucker on call" for a year and Jesus Christ, never again. Especially since it was a lovely infrastructure so stuff actually did alert at all hours and I was not given proper resources or authority to fix it. Just had to keep slapping bandaids on. I didn't realize how much it was affecting my life til I moved to my current job and have an on-call rotation. It made immediate and obvious physical and emotional improvements in my health.

That said, it sounds like Mutar's job is not like that!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Two months ago I got hired on as help desk for a university department. This is my first job where my job responsibilities are solely IT stuff. Right now I'm mostly dealing with desktop support but my boss and I will start working on getting me familiar with our servers and managing that side of it. I have no real previous server experience and our desktop environment is 95% Macs.

We're just about at year end with the budget and my boss asked for things I'd like purchased but I'm kind of at a loss for what would be helpful to me. He is on board with getting me any books I might want as well as training. I have a baller laptop already and a new desk and chair coming. Does anyone have any suggestions on things that would be helpful to me from a learning or supporting standpoint? Any suggestions for upcoming Seattle based training?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Raymn posted:

Any suggestions for upcoming Seattle based training?

Probably a bit above your pay grade right now, but the Cascadia IT conference is going down in Seattle in like a week :)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Do you already have a testing environment?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Docjowles posted:

Probably a bit above your pay grade right now, but the Cascadia IT conference is going down in Seattle in like a week :)

If anyone's going LMK, seagoon drinks and whatnot

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Do you already have a testing environment?

Yes

Docjowles posted:

My boss would go for it if I asked but the classes do seem beyond my knowledge level. I'll keep this in mind for next year tho!

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 27, 2014

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
BOOYA :yotj:

Aced a phone interview today. Was called back within 45 mins and offered a position higher than what I interviewed for. Now just have to make it through security clearance investigation and I get to move on up!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Congrats, if it's just a secret it shouldn't take that long.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
So I posted a few pages back about a terrible overnight federal job in IT that the thread reccommended I pass on. I did, and told the recruiter to let them know I wasn't interested.

This afternoon, around 3pm, I got a call from another recruiter at that center, with a better position... day shift, promotion potential, and apparently me calling him back and chatting with him was the phone interview.

He told me to shoot him over an updated resume, I will have the offer letter in hand by COB tomorrow, and start date 8 March.

:yotj:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Goons gettin outta dat well! :golfclap:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Plot twist: The well is surrounded by bigger well.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Sepist posted:

Plot twist: The well is surrounded by bigger well.

It's wells. All the way down

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

GOOCHY posted:

Congrats, if it's just a secret it shouldn't take that long.

Yes its just secret. Recruiter/sponsor told me to expect a month. I am crossing my fingers and praying its faster.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Syano posted:

Yes its just secret. Recruiter/sponsor told me to expect a month. I am crossing my fingers and praying its faster.

My interim came back quickly and enabled me to at least get in the door. The full Secret took about a month-ish. Maybe a little more. That was earlier this Summer before the Snowden poo poo hit the fan so who knows now. It should really be fairly expeditious though.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
How much does it actually cost a company for secret?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The time costs something but the contractor doesn't pay for the clearance.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm not sure where to go at this point in my career. I left an awesome job in Alaska in a small town where I had reached the pinnacle of IT in the town. It was a non-profit but it was one of those jobs where I got to do everything and get my hands on anything that came in. I setup all of our new WAN/LAN managed all of our Windows servers and did a lot with Exchange, got to play around with Linux boxes here and there as well. They payed for my tests and I got my A+, N+, CCNA. Now that I've left and moved all that I've been able to find are helpdesk jobs. Nothing remotely sysadmin or networking. I took a job with a place right now that was contract to hire. They've created a position for me as an assistant help desk manager. The pay is pretty phenomenal for the job I think. $60k base, full health, 4 weeks pto, and quarterly bonuses and stock options for a company whose stock has doubled in the past year and only seems to be growing.

All of the higher ups in IT have came from help desk and worked up, everyone is promoted internally. I know that I could probably stick around and get a higher job in a few years but nothing is ever guaranteed. Not sure if I stick around and risk getting stuck in quasi-helpdesk roles but possibly make bank and advance, or just try and jump ship now. All of my role concerns aside I really like everyone I work with and the company really treats it's employees well. I just hate to think that I could still be an over-qualified helpdesk janitor in 3 years.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm not sure where to go at this point in my career. I left an awesome job in Alaska in a small town where I had reached the pinnacle of IT in the town. It was a non-profit but it was one of those jobs where I got to do everything and get my hands on anything that came in. I setup all of our new WAN/LAN managed all of our Windows servers and did a lot with Exchange, got to play around with Linux boxes here and there as well. They payed for my tests and I got my A+, N+, CCNA. Now that I've left and moved all that I've been able to find are helpdesk jobs. Nothing remotely sysadmin or networking. I took a job with a place right now that was contract to hire. They've created a position for me as an assistant help desk manager. The pay is pretty phenomenal for the job I think. $60k base, full health, 4 weeks pto, and quarterly bonuses and stock options for a company whose stock has doubled in the past year and only seems to be growing.

All of the higher ups in IT have came from help desk and worked up, everyone is promoted internally. I know that I could probably stick around and get a higher job in a few years but nothing is ever guaranteed. Not sure if I stick around and risk getting stuck in quasi-helpdesk roles but possibly make bank and advance, or just try and jump ship now. All of my role concerns aside I really like everyone I work with and the company really treats it's employees well. I just hate to think that I could still be an over-qualified helpdesk janitor in 3 years.
Where are you now?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Where are you now?

Minneapolis. I think I'm just bitching to much over job titles. With the new position I'm going to be in management even if it is as an assistant help desk manager. I'm just so sick of being over qualified for the job. I know that everyone else here has been promoted internally and I should probably just wait and advance. Still it's frustrating when the jr network admin has no Cisco certifications or a N+ even and asks you subnetting questions and other basic stuff.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly, if its a nice place that has a history of actually advancing people, stay. Ask a few colleagues, see what they think on it, chances are they'll know better than we do. If its legit and you like the people, i'd only jump ship for a higher paying job with more perks.

If its like my place where "promoting internally" means "here, have a 4 day SQL course, now you can do data conversion right?" GTFO and :yotj:

E: SQL from scratch, by the way. This is why one of our previous conversions went to poo poo, because the guy doesn't really know SQL, so when it went wrong he couldn't troubleshoot.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

This project is nearing it's end I just realized that I need to find another job within the next month or so, paniiiiic.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I jsut asked my immediate sup for a reference since he's also getting a new job.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Minneapolis. I think I'm just bitching to much over job titles. With the new position I'm going to be in management even if it is as an assistant help desk manager. I'm just so sick of being over qualified for the job. I know that everyone else here has been promoted internally and I should probably just wait and advance. Still it's frustrating when the jr network admin has no Cisco certifications or a N+ even and asks you subnetting questions and other basic stuff.

I have a ton of contacts in Minneapolis. What kind of position are you looking for?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

What Goochy said. It took me exactly 35 days to get my final adjudication for my Secret clearance. I was given a tentative clearance that allowed me to be hired and start working about 2 weeks after I submitted all my paperwork. I'm pretty sure that's about as fast as it will ever happen, especially since I am (to quote my best friend and one of my references) "the most boring mother-fucker on the planet". My record was super squeaky clean, and all my references were TS/SCI themselves, so figure two weeks before you hear the good news.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

dogstile posted:

Honestly, if its a nice place that has a history of actually advancing people, stay. Ask a few colleagues, see what they think on it, chances are they'll know better than we do. If its legit and you like the people, i'd only jump ship for a higher paying job with more perks.

If its like my place where "promoting internally" means "here, have a 4 day SQL course, now you can do data conversion right?" GTFO and :yotj:

E: SQL from scratch, by the way. This is why one of our previous conversions went to poo poo, because the guy doesn't really know SQL, so when it went wrong he couldn't troubleshoot.

It is a nice place. I'm just starting to get worried and a little pissed that I've been doing non helpdesk stuff for the past 5 years while still getting stuck with that as my job title.

evol262 posted:

I have a ton of contacts in Minneapolis. What kind of position are you looking for?

Anything not helpdesk! Network or Windows sysadmin is what I'm best and like doing. I'm starting to slowly get interested in project management as well but dont feel like I have the necessary skill set to really work at that full time.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anything not helpdesk! Network or Windows sysadmin is what I'm best and like doing. I'm starting to slowly get interested in project management as well but dont feel like I have the necessary skill set to really work at that full time.

Any preferred suburbs? PM me your resume and I'll see what I can find...

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Daylen Drazzi posted:

What Goochy said. It took me exactly 35 days to get my final adjudication for my Secret clearance. I was given a tentative clearance that allowed me to be hired and start working about 2 weeks after I submitted all my paperwork. I'm pretty sure that's about as fast as it will ever happen, especially since I am (to quote my best friend and one of my references) "the most boring mother-fucker on the planet". My record was super squeaky clean, and all my references were TS/SCI themselves, so figure two weeks before you hear the good news.

I'd love an interim in 2 weeks. I am soooo ready to turn in my resignation. No bridge burning, just going to feel very good. I'm betting my investigation takes a bit longer due to me having to sign up with a credit counseling service but hopefully not too bad. 3 years away from debt free baby! Maybe quicker with the new job!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Syano posted:

I'd love an interim in 2 weeks. I am soooo ready to turn in my resignation. No bridge burning, just going to feel very good. I'm betting my investigation takes a bit longer due to me having to sign up with a credit counseling service but hopefully not too bad. 3 years away from debt free baby! Maybe quicker with the new job!

As long as you are completely honest and don't try to hide anything then odds are you will be okay. Hell, Newguy#2 is trying to return to active duty and has a DUI from five years ago on his record, but he's in the process of getting a waiver, and from the sounds of it he's going to get it. And he managed to keep his security clearance despite the conviction. There's only one person who I have personal experience of who lost their security clearance - she was arrested for DUI and then took a swing at the cop. She was still in jail awaiting a hearing when her clearance was revoked and her access to the base and our building cancelled. What made it worse was it was literally the first day after our new CO took command that it happened, and it made us contractors collectively look like poo poo in his eyes.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

That's cool. I was really just curious. I got mine the easy way and had the navy pay for it, and now I'm reaping the benefits of being a vet with a clearance.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Been waiting over a year for my TS. Secret took me like 3 weeks when I was 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I'm in the same boat. It's been many months without a peep on a TS. I've heard it'll go that way. You hear nothing for months and months and then all of the sudden you have your interview and it's done.

• Locked thread