Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

DammitJanet posted:

I don't give a poo poo what "artists" think. If you have an axe to grind, take it up with the real criminals trying to ruin this hobby. (i.e. people who flip records or the organizers of Record Store Day).
I'm hoping this is sarcasm but there's enough sincere over-the-top vitriol about flippers and RSD in this thread that it's honestly tough to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I've never been there before, but I was in the area and stopped in to a Ross Dress For Less to see what they had for marked-down clothing and I found a small vinyl section that had Yeezus for $15? Definitely picked it up. Anyone else checked them out before?

EDIT: Sorry, what is RSD?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don't even mind small scale record flipping. If I find a crazy deal on a record I know I can sell for more, I'm not leaving it there out of some sense of vinyl honor.

It's different when people are snatching up as many as they can to resell, but at the same time gently caress these labels that encourage it by consistently and intentionally underpressing to create collector's items.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know the value of random records so I guess I'll be the person who is very sad to miss out on said record once someone buys it cheap and tries to sell it for insane prices (that I will never pay)

Also buying direct from the artists /labels is the way to go!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wow, ok, the world of record flipping is bigger than I had realized. A little googling led me to this blog: RecordFlipper, the blog for new vinyl speculators. https://recordflipper.wordpress.com/

But don't get too excited:

quote:

Jake & I recently did an email interview for VICE magazine. It’s just been published, and you can read it here. It was a lot of fun to do, and thanks to VICE for giving us some space.

As mentioned in the interview, the RecordFlipper blog has now been private for six months or so and is, in fact, thriving behind a pay wall.

We may have a slot or two opened, so please see the “contact” section for our email address, if you’d like to join The List. The subscription fee is now $250/quarter or $800/year, and applicants are screened via a brief questionnaire.

There's some good info in there, like "re-issues are FlipperPoison".

Even they think Record Store Day is bullshit (in their words):

quote:

Sorry to be the one to blow his nose in your oatmeal, though I can hardly be the first person to have declared Record Store Day a chump’s paradise.

First of all, I’m not in any way sold on the music industry’s apparent re-embrace of the vinyl format. It smells very funny to me. Like a 10,000-gallon pool filled with feces, gore and 1000 dead rats. That kind of funny. More on that pool in a moment.

There’s nothing less desirable to the successful flipper than something marked “collector’s item.” What RSD does is hang a jillion-watt neon sign in front of your local record shop, which bellows “Get yer jen-u-ine collector’s items right here, folks; Step right this way.” What a bore.

Here’s an anecdote: in the mid-1990s Disney released Fantasia on VHS tape. The press release-writers had great time with this one! “First time available to the public;” “fully restored & digitally enhanced,” and, my favorite, “available for a limited time only.” Now, don’t get me wrong, Fantasia is a wonderful movie and I’m proud to be able to say that I bought my copy of the “limited edition” VHS tape for $1 at the Salvation Army. I love supporting local charities! But that tape was about as collectible as a box of Oreo cookies and if you didn’t see that, well… My point is that RSD is nothing more than an exercise in hype and self-aggrandizement for the music industry, which is in terrible need of any kind of “try anything” strategy just to keep the town cars running and the lawyers in bespoke Gucci loafers. So it’s “limited edition” records the kids want now? Why not!

As may have been noticed by even a moderately interested spectator, before RSD is even over Ebay is packed with junk that in less than one day has miraculously increased in value and, if you are any kind of record collector at all, you must have it. Truth is, though, that the collector market has been largely indifferent to RSD junk.

Anyone who actually wants, for instance, the Michael Bublé/Ray Charles* “Georgia On My Mind” split 7” pressed in a “limited quantity” on peach-colored vinyl will be able to get one. Trust me. And the truth of the matter is: that particular record will be worth nothing, as in $0.00, the second the cashier takes the buyer’s money at the participating retail outlet. It’s junk.

There are also some smaller labels, the kind that can be counted on to deliver records that might be of interest to a flipper, participating in RSD. To whatever extent this raises awareness of the existence of those labels, so sleepy past releases might become more flippable, that’s great. Otherwise smaller labels, you should be ashamed of yourselves for participating in this sham.

But maybe you think you know what will and what will not be flippable. Maybe you’re ready to fight your way past that guy who usually sells flashlight batteries on Ebay, who is himself elbowing you out of the way to get to the Katy Perry Part Of Me (THIN WHITE DUKE REMIX) LP, which he knows is going to go for “big bucks.” Maybe you’re Mr. HipsterFlipper, participating in RSD only to grab a copy of the Pulse Emitter/Date Palms/Expo 70/Faceplant Four-Way Split LP , because you know it’s a cool, underground record and it’s going to be worth “big bucks.” But, and you’ve really got to trust me on this one, no one cares about that record. Nor will they. Ever. It’s as much a piece of junk as the Katy Perry album. What you’re doing, you understand, is swimming to the bottom of the aforementioned 10,000-gallon pool because you just know there’s a $20 bill at the bottom of the deep end. There isn’t, but you’re going to need a really long shower when you get home from Record Store Day.

Sorry for the long-rear end quote, but this site is blowing my mind with all their sections like "buy and hold" or "skip it".

Snowy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Someone gave me $150 for an RX Bandits record for some reason.

That's my record story.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
i don't buy records to play, i buy records to invest

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I sold a cd for $500 once.

A cd.

I'm still not convinced it wasn't some kind of money laundering transaction.

It was VNV Nation's first album, if anyone cares.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dogen posted:

I sold a cd for $500 once.

A cd.

I'm still not convinced it wasn't some kind of money laundering transaction.

It was VNV Nation's first album, if anyone cares.
:stare:

Years ago, I saw CDs of Modest Mouse's Interstate 8 EP going for hundreds of dollars on eBay. I'm sure vinyl prices were way higher, and I'm sure they've only gone up in the last few years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just buy the records you want from wherever you want. Who gives a gently caress?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

quote:

My point is that RSD is nothing more than an exercise in hype and self-aggrandizement for the music industry, which is in terrible need of any kind of “try anything” strategy just to keep the town cars running and the lawyers in bespoke Gucci loafers

quote:

My point is nothing more than an exercise in hype and self-aggrandizement

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I might care more about RSD if they had more than, what, two hip-hop releases? I do want that 2xLP + 7" reissue of Danny Brown's Hot Soup though, haha.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Snowy posted:

Wow, ok, the world of record flipping is bigger than I had realized. A little googling led me to this blog: RecordFlipper, the blog for new vinyl speculators. https://recordflipper.wordpress.com/

But don't get too excited:

There's some good info in there, like "re-issues are FlipperPoison".

Even they think Record Store Day is bullshit (in their words):

Sorry for the long-rear end quote, but this site is blowing my mind with all their sections like "buy and hold" or "skip it".

I find it weird that people would take pride in being flippers. It's a scummy underhanded thing to do and you're announcing that you like making money by knowingly ripping people off.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

United Record Pressing has a pretty cool site (this may be old news, I don't know) and it's worth checking out.

The colored vinyl tool is fun, though it could use more swirl options: http://www.urpressing.com/colorpalette.php

If you're interested in the pricing breakdown of getting a record pressed: 7 inch, 12 inch, it's amazing how much cheaper they get when ordered in larger numbers.

The photo tour is nice, but not as gritty cool as the Jamaican one seen earlier.

And check out these great specials, I'll take them both! :neckbeard:

Now I know that when you get one of those muddy looking messy color records, it's most likely all the floor sweepings from the end of the day.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CPL593H posted:

I find it weird that people would take pride in being flippers. It's a scummy underhanded thing to do and you're announcing that you like making money by knowingly ripping people off.

I guess that's why they had to go underground. It's amazing that they can charge the prices they do to join.

It is interesting to hear their insight on what makes each record a good investment. They do know the bands, the music, the fans, and the market.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

I guess that's why they had to go underground. It's amazing that they can charge the prices they do to join.

It is interesting to hear their insight on what makes each record a good investment. They do know the bands, the music, the fans, and the market.

What exactly does that site offer that makes it worth 800 dollars a year?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

United Record Pressing has a pretty cool site (this may be old news, I don't know) and it's worth checking out.

The colored vinyl tool is fun, though it could use more swirl options: http://www.urpressing.com/colorpalette.php

If you're interested in the pricing breakdown of getting a record pressed: 7 inch, 12 inch, it's amazing how much cheaper they get when ordered in larger numbers.

The photo tour is nice, but not as gritty cool as the Jamaican one seen earlier.

And check out these great specials, I'll take them both! :neckbeard:

Now I know that when you get one of those muddy looking messy color records, it's most likely all the floor sweepings from the end of the day.

It is literally one of my life dreams to write and record something cool enough for it to be worth pressing it. Unfortunately, I'm a terrible songwriter and my band is basically non-extant.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
When I first read your quote I thought you were being kinda silly but drat that guy definitely gives a lovely vibe. I get the impression he would like people to believe the blog is way more influential and way more worthwhile to subscribers than it is.

The thing that bothers me about arguments about flipping is that I always get the impression that a lot of the people who get so angry about the practice are angry just because they don't want to pay a lot of money for albums. I understand that, but to some extent that just seems like an inevitable side effect of the free market (outside of some shady tactics). Like if flippers buy up all of some limited release at 30$ and put it up on ebay for $50, it's only going to work out if people actually are willing to pay $50. And I kinda think the answer here isn't "people shouldn't be allowed to flip records" (not that that's particularly enforceable) and more "labels/artists should price their products closer to market value". The fundamental issue I have with flipping isn't that someone's profiting substantially, it's that it's people other than the artists who made the music (or packaging or whatever it is you value about it).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would love to read a blog where it just points out examples where flippers have got it extremely wrong.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CPL593H posted:

What exactly does that site offer that makes it worth 800 dollars a year?

I guess if you're flipping enough records and selling them for jacked up prices then it helps to have tips on labels/bands you might not know about, along with the buy/sell prediction.

bowmore posted:

I would love to read a blog where it just points out examples where flippers have got it extremely wrong.

That would be good. You can do that to a certain extent using the predictions from before they put up a paywall. Check them against Discogs or better yet Popsike to determine the current value.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Did That on Television posted:

I might care more about RSD if they had more than, what, two hip-hop releases? I do want that 2xLP + 7" reissue of Danny Brown's Hot Soup though, haha.
woah i had no idea that was coming out. im definitely buying that

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The only good thing about RSD is the stuff local stores do. Freebies and whatnot.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

To step away from RSD for a moment, is there any good reason why Ebay is apparently the only repository for the dust cover I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TURNTABLE-DUST-COVER-THORENS-TD-125-MKII-DUSTCOVER-/160860122006

$150 for what is essentially a large piece of acrylic plastic is borderline ridiculous, but all my google leads back to this one loving ebay seller.

It's going to hurt so much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hatelull posted:

To step away from RSD for a moment, is there any good reason why Ebay is apparently the only repository for the dust cover I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TURNTABLE-DUST-COVER-THORENS-TD-125-MKII-DUSTCOVER-/160860122006

$150 for what is essentially a large piece of acrylic plastic is borderline ridiculous, but all my google leads back to this one loving ebay seller.

It's going to hurt so much.

It's because the only people buying these things are crazy people who will pay that price. Also is that the same table you have, because holy poo poo.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

drat that is expensive for a dust cover! I paid about $90 each for two technics 1200 covers and now I never even use them. And what a pain it was to order: first the cover came without hinges, then the hinges came without screws.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

BigFactory posted:

You're not being forced to buy RSD releases. How are the organizers criminals?

Maybe I should have been more specific. I'm sure that the organizers of the event have the best of intentions, and for all it does to raise awareness of the hobby, good on them. The labels and store operators are a different story. If you agree with that flipping blogger, you could put some blame on the labels for flooding the day with poo poo records (not to mention the whole "limited pressing/collector's item" thing, which only results in fewer copies to go around and a manufactured-by-the-industry sense of "rarity", but it's all relative to taste. No one in the flipping community may "care" about the Dazed and Confused soundtrack on weed-green vinyl, but there are a lot of nostalgic folks out there who would (and did) buy it for the music itself, so there's demand there. He's approaching it from a buying/selling for profit point of view, and I see it more from a "buying it to listen to it/collect it before someone else buys it just to make money" point of view. See below.

DammitJanet posted:

Personally I think Record Store Day is a joke. At least here, anyway. You get in line two hours before the store opens only to have the record-flipper assholes in front of you buy five copies of everything so that there's nothing good left when you get to the front. And good loving luck trying to go to more than one shop and find anything decent. You have to send friends to the other stores, thus defeating any "social" aspect to the day. I don't know why stores don't institute some kind of limit to the number of copies you can buy.

I don't think that's a crazy idea, but the shops would probably trot out the tired old horse of "But we're indie, man! We need all the money we can get because the music industry!". It's just depressing to inch closer to the door of the shop and see dudes walking out with their (free RSD-Exclusive!) tote bags filled with 30 records and a big smug smirk on their faces. I used to think it was just about getting in line early enough and that there couldn't really be some big underground cabal of record-flippers out there. Who would have the time/effort to put into such a dubious venture? Well...

Leave it to the hard-hitting journalists at VICE to fellate some rear end in a top hat in print crack the case. :jerkbag:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Personperson14 posted:

The only good thing about RSD is the stuff local stores do. Freebies and whatnot.

Yeah, the bags of free garbage that the store would pay to throw out if they didn't give it to you. That's what makes it such a special day. Not the sometimes interesting releases by artists you enjoy.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Hahaha, this is hilarious. The blogger repeatedly refers to Jack White as "my dear friend", and one post on the blog was just details on how to enter a contest to win this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeGDhEXZJJs&t=231s

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 28, 2014

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Also is that the same table you have, because holy poo poo.

Yes. The branding on the Ebay picture is slightly different, but it appears to be the same model as mine.

Mine has a SURE SME 3009 tone arm.

I inherited claimed the record player and the Yamaha amp it runs through when my father-in-law died several years back. Aside from my wife and daughters, it is one of my most favorite things on this planet.

Non-selfie content:

I usually get burned on RSD, either because of kid events and unable to break away to go hang out in line at a record store for most of a late morning/early afternoon or the usual store I hit up (least amount of "flippers" and they always have free beer and great live bands) doesn't get the one or two things I'm really looking for.

This year, I just want to find this.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 28, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I picked up A Loose Confederation of Saturday City-States last week, and didn't know it existed until the day I bought it on ebay. It features Vic Chesnutt, Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse and members of Cracker and Lambchop. I bought it because I collect Sparklehorse records, and I'm glad I did. I saw it on Discogs going for $99, but then checked ebay and found it for $25. The discogs listing has since disappeared, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same one.

Too much rain
Not enough drain

Hope it's not :filez: since it is a 19 year old 7" but here is a recording I made of the two tracks if people want to hear it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z680jjnj98h0103/ALooseConfederationOfSaturdayCity-States.zip

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 28, 2014

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DammitJanet posted:

Maybe I should have been more specific. I'm sure that the organizers of the event have the best of intentions, and for all it does to raise awareness of the hobby, good on them. The labels and store operators are a different story.
What's more, I'd expect the current structure of RSD to drive away potentially new and casual vinyl listeners.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Now there are rumors of a data breach at Sears. I haven't shopped at Sears for years. Thanks vinyl thread.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I find there to be a hilarious irony to flippers complaining about RSD releases being a bunch of hyped up deliberately under pressed junk that people hawk for inflated prices on ebay.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just got this in the mail, "blackened deathcrust" band Occultist's first lp, "Death Sigils". This is just what I've been in the mood for.

And this bootleg of one of Cliff Burton's pre-Metallica bands, Agents of Misfortune.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 1, 2014

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I don't know what kind of record stores you guys go to but all of the ones I've hit up over the years have limited you to one-per and then after a certain time (sometimes a few hours after open, other times the next day) you could buy more.

That said there's nothing on any of the rumored lists for this year that interests me, so I guess that's one less thing to deal with.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Allen Wren posted:

It is literally one of my life dreams to write and record something cool enough for it to be worth pressing it. Unfortunately, I'm a terrible songwriter and my band is basically non-extant.

You should absolutely get something pressed then! If you can make music I'm sure you can come up with two short songs for a 7" at least. I've done it and it's very satisfying to have something concrete like that. The whole process can be really simple too, and not especially expensive for a short run.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Self Defense Family's issuing a square lathe-cut record that sounds like garbage. I'm not gonna buy it, but I love it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

You should absolutely get something pressed then! If you can make music I'm sure you can come up with two short songs for a 7" at least. I've done it and it's very satisfying to have something concrete like that. The whole process can be really simple too, and not especially expensive for a short run.

Yeah, I was basically thinking a 7", but, well, I'll spare you the e/n post. Short version - brain problems and never having actually been able to get more than, like, most of a verse and half a hook into writing a song.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Allen Wren posted:

never having actually been able to get more than, like, most of a verse and half a hook into writing a song.

Without prying, if all you can get together is fragments you can always make lots of little songs. Ovens does that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGp9kDdFfpY

Besides just the pleasure of having your own record, as a vinyl collector it can be like printing money since you've always got something to trade. This works best with scenes that have a DIY approach.

E- don't mind me, just messing around with the video.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Anyone else pre-order Beck's new album from Sears and never receive it? The drat thing released on tuesday, but my order just says processing. Beginning to think I've been ripped off.