Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Spalec posted:

Similar to that:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/accident/seatbelt.asp

Anti-seatbelt advocate dies in car crash after being thrown from car. All other people in the car were wearing seatbelts and survived.

Quoting this from way back just to say that I lived next to this rear end in a top hat freshmen year of college and his death was the peak schadenfreude moment of my life. He was a loud, obnoxious, arrogant die-hard libertarian and he loved to play Seinfeld episodes at absurd volume levels late at night.

Noctone has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Motorcyclist dies of head injuries at anti-helmet protest.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/motorcycle-rider-new-york-dies-ride-protesting-helmet-laws-article-1.155550

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Hugh Hefner almost choked to death on Ben Wa Balls

He who lives by the sword...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I can't remember if I saw this here or on Facebook but it belongs in this sequence:

Man shoots himself in the head and dies while demonstrating gun safety

quote:

The unnamed 36-year-old from Independence Township, Michigan, was demonstrating how his three handguns are safe when they are not loaded by holding them to his head and pulling the trigger, Detroit Free Press reported.

But when the third gun went off, the man was struck in the head with a bullet. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm not sure that's how you use them... :ohdear:

Then again, he's Hugh Hefner, what the gently caress do I know :v:

Pierzak has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Feb 28, 2014

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Pierzak posted:

I'm not sure that's how you use them... :ohdear:

Then again, he's HHugh Hefner, what the gently caress do I know :v:

Senility is a hell of a drug.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Shadowmorn posted:

When the Wind Blows That was pretty :stonk: worthy as a kid.

I got the book of when the wind blows when I was like 7 (assumably because it looked like a comic so some elderly relative thought it was appropriate) and it has haunted every waking moment since then.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I can't remember if I saw this here or on Facebook but it belongs in this sequence:

Ahahaha, natural selection at work.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Talking of safety videos, this is a classic and favourite of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQ98K2J4Uw

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

"Welp."

God, I love these super benign gently caress ups. I don't know why the simple stuff pleases me so much.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

You left out the best quote:

quote:

The man’s girlfriend told police that he had been drinking most of the day before he died, and sheriff’s officials said alcohol appears to have been a factor in the incident, according to CBS Detroit.

I wonder if his arguments convinced her in the end.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Rabble posted:

Another super depressing movie based on MAD is "Threads", just when you think it can't get any worse they just keep going.

The "best" thing about Threads is that it was based on research into what would happen to Britain in the event of a nuclear attack. They realised that it would actually be too depressing to show that practically everyone would be dead, so Threads demonstrates a low-ball estimate instead.

Ok that's the second best thing. The best thing is that there's a woman in the film who has a non-speaking role and her only acting credit ever is "Woman Who Wets Herself".

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

And this is why they tell you that even if you "know" a gun is empty, you still never point it at anyone. I'm still a fan of when James May looks down the barrel of the shotgun and someone has to push it away while the other 2 just look on and laugh at his idiocy.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

glitchkrieg posted:

The "best" thing about Threads is that it was based on research into what would happen to Britain in the event of a nuclear attack. They realised that it would actually be too depressing to show that practically everyone would be dead, so Threads demonstrates a low-ball estimate instead.

It's the same with the US-version "The Day After". Both depict a low-to-mid grade use of nuclear weapons scenario.

But really, when the nukes start flying, no one is under any pretenses about what comes next. They launch everything and everything dies. And anything that does happen to live gets to see 10 times the destruction depicted in both films.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

glitchkrieg posted:

Ok that's the second best thing. The best thing is that there's a woman in the film who has a non-speaking role and her only acting credit ever is "Woman Who Wets Herself".

Yeah I don't think British could survive a full thermonuclear exchange, because they are a tiny island, which they soon realized haha. Threads is actually pretty optimistic in terms of their outlook after a full blown exchange

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

veedubfreak posted:

And this is why they tell you that even if you "know" a gun is empty, you still never point it at anyone. I'm still a fan of when James May looks down the barrel of the shotgun and someone has to push it away while the other 2 just look on and laugh at his idiocy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

"Welp."

God, I love these super benign gently caress ups. I don't know why the simple stuff pleases me so much.

The way he puts his hands on his hips is just beautiful. He knows that crowbar is gone for good.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I see this as a reoccurring event. Guy gets drunk and plays with his guns, girl complains, argument ensues, guy demonstrates how "safe" they are when unloaded. Up until the day the girl slips a bullet into one of them before confronting drunk guy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

When I was a kid, I shot my best friend in the cheek with one of those plastic replica guns (a Sig-Sauer P226 I think) that fire tiny colored plastic pellets. I'd tweaked the spring so it shot the pellets fast as hell, too. I figured I'd give him a scare, so I took out the clip, pointed and fired, forgetting that I had one in the chamber. There was some blood, followed by many apologies (and some laughter because I thought it was funny).

Guess what I'm saying is, never give me a real gun ever. :saddowns:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

gun schadenfreude:

I was taught by my ex-Army dad that you should always treat a gun as if it is in the process of firing (and if you didn't clean it yourself, has a barrel bent at least 15 degrees towards you). Exceedingly healthy respect.

Hanging out with some friends in deep county country, and the neighbor next door came over to show off his skills with a spiffy bolt-action rifle with scope- his 'sniper rifle'- by shooting black birds on a far-away tree.

Seeing me act somewhat skittish by stepping behind the 180 degree plane of the barrel, he seemed somewhat dismissive about my attitude because of how safe a bolt action is.

Two years later he shoots himself up and under his shoulder with the same gun by dropping it. Freak accident that couldn't be avoided no matter where I was standing, sure. But still, gently caress that guy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

When I was a kid, I shot my best friend in the cheek with one of those plastic replica guns (a Sig-Sauer P226 I think) that fire tiny colored plastic pellets. I'd tweaked the spring so it shot the pellets fast as hell, too. I figured I'd give him a scare, so I took out the clip, pointed and fired, forgetting that I had one in the chamber. There was some blood, followed by many apologies (and some laughter because I thought it was funny).

Guess what I'm saying is, never give me a real gun ever. :saddowns:

When I played airsoft wars with my friends it was a valid tactic to say you were out of ammo and drop the mag, then surprise pop someone with that last chambered bb :v:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It's a shame he didn't kill himself then becuase clarkson is an obnoxious oval office who has loving terrible opinions. The fact the BBC pays him for what he does is frankly a joke.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's a shame he didn't kill himself then becuase clarkson is an obnoxious oval office who has loving terrible opinions. The fact the BBC pays him for what he does is frankly a joke.

Clarkson is awesome for punching Piers Morgan. Also for having the correct opinion about how much power a car should have

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

This is one of my favorite gifs ever. The reactions on all three are astounding. Hammond's instant ohshit face, Clarkson and May not twigging on until after it's moved. Clarkson's cringe. All of it. I could watch that gif for days.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Am I getting this right?`
It's a shame that James May did not kill himself.
Because Clarkson is an rear end in a top hat?

What?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

organburner posted:

What?

Maybe the emotional trauma of the world losing James May would be enough to get through even Clarkson's veneer of masculinity?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

organburner posted:

What?

I think May has to die first.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Oh dear, this happened in my hometown. Reminds me of how Terry Kath from Chicago died. He was playing around with a semi-automatic at a party and put it in his mouth, forgetting there was a bullet in the chamber. I'm pretty sure he's the most famous person to win a Darwin Award.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

glitchkrieg posted:

I remember Threads. And if I remember rightly, the ending was horrifying, involving the camera slowly backing away from a shack where a woman had just given birth, having been thoroughly irradiated during pregnancy. As the camera backed away, the baby started crying and the mother started screaming.

We know how to end a series properly.
:britain:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

organburner posted:

What?

Welp I'm dumb I assumed only clarkson would be stupid enough to look down the barrel of a gun and didn't bother expanding the gif to check. my mistake.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Karthillion posted:

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I see this as a reoccurring event. Guy gets drunk and plays with his guns, girl complains, argument ensues, guy demonstrates how "safe" they are when unloaded. Up until the day the girl slips a bullet into one of them before confronting drunk guy.

Yeah dude, that's pretty drat cynical to the point of paranoia. I think it's way more likely that Drunk Angry people probably don't always practice proper gun safely and probably accidentally leave a bullet chambered. Like that video of the DEA Agent shooting his foot.

Why invent conspiracies when there's a perfectly reasonable (and probable) explanation?

EDIT: That last part is rhetorical, I know intellectually WHY people do that, I just think it's dumb. Don't make up conspiracies.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Feb 28, 2014

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah dude, that's pretty drat cynical to the point of paranoia. I think it's way more likely that Drunk Angry people probably don't always practice proper gun safely and probably accidentally leave a bullet chambered. Like that video of the
DEA Agent shooting his foot.

Why invent conspiracies when there's a perfectly reasonable (and probable) explanation?
It almost stinks of stdh.txt, but I also think that its very likely that drunk dumb macho idiots forget to check the chamber.

Alot of people don't "get" what discipline is in anything they do, or why it is so important.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Stoatbringer posted:

I remember Threads. And if I remember rightly, the ending was horrifying, involving the camera slowly backing away from a shack where a woman had just given birth, having been thoroughly irradiated during pregnancy. As the camera backed away, the baby started crying and the mother started screaming.

We know how to end a series properly.
:britain:

It actually ended more bleakly than that. A girl of maybe 15 or 16 (born to the main character who was pregnant at the outbreak of nuclear war) gives birth (after getting maybe raped) to a still-born mutant baby. The scene cuts as she's about to scream in horror at the child.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I guess everyone has forgotten about this since the last time this gif was posted, but James May was actually practicing proper firearm safety here. He had checked that the chamber was clear, then put his finger in the chamber to ensure it was unloaded and safe, then looked down the barrel to check for any blockages.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Gerund posted:

gun schadenfreude:

I was taught by my ex-Army dad that you should always treat a gun as if it is in the process of firing (and if you didn't clean it yourself, has a barrel bent at least 15 degrees towards you). Exceedingly healthy respect.

Hanging out with some friends in deep county country, and the neighbor next door came over to show off his skills with a spiffy bolt-action rifle with scope- his 'sniper rifle'- by shooting black birds on a far-away tree.

Seeing me act somewhat skittish by stepping behind the 180 degree plane of the barrel, he seemed somewhat dismissive about my attitude because of how safe a bolt action is.

Two years later he shoots himself up and under his shoulder with the same gun by dropping it. Freak accident that couldn't be avoided no matter where I was standing, sure. But still, gently caress that guy.

Double schadenfreude because the gun wouldn't have fired when dropped unless he made unsafe modifications to it!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh dear, this happened in my hometown. Reminds me of how Terry Kath from Chicago died. He was playing around with a semi-automatic at a party and put it in his mouth, forgetting there was a bullet in the chamber. I'm pretty sure he's the most famous person to win a Darwin Award.

I was going to post this. Terry Kath sang lead on my favorite song of all time, Make Me Smile. Can you imagine how different Chicago's sound would have been if Kath had just passed on that stupid demonstration?

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Former prep school headmaster wins $80,000 in an age-discrimination lawsuit, with the terms of the settlement protected under a confidentiality agreement.

Former prep school headmaster promptly has $80,000 settlement withdrawn when his dumbass daughter brags about it on Facebook.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

NDAs are common in settlement agreements, but forbidding someone from even saying that an agreement was reached sounds a bit silly to me.

e: not that the guy's daughter wasn't poking the beehive with her comments, but the employer tried to screw over her dad and deny him what was rightly theirs. He's still very much the good guy in all this.

flakeloaf has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Feb 28, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

FiddlersThree posted:

Former prep school headmaster wins $80,000 in an age-discrimination lawsuit, with the terms of the settlement protected under a confidentiality agreement.

Former prep school headmaster promptly has $80,000 settlement withdrawn when his dumbass daughter brags about it on Facebook.
Grounded for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

flakeloaf posted:

NDAs are common in settlement agreements, but forbidding someone from even saying that an agreement was reached sounds a bit silly to me.

Dumbass Daughter posted:

“Mama and Papa Snay won the case against Gulliver. Gulliver is now officially paying for my vacation to Europe this summer. SUCK IT.”

EDIT: Additionally, I guess a good chunk of the daughter's friends on Facebook were current and former students of the school in question.

• Locked thread