Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I might be the only person who likes MFT/SYNC. I never really have had problems with mine. I have a 2014 Fiesta ST and Navi, bluetooth phone support, bluetooth audio, voice recognition etc. all work perfectly fine. It's slow as poo poo compared to even a crappy android tablet, but it gets the job done. Some areas could be improved for sure, but overall it's not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sudo Echo posted:

Just an awful interface, and MS spews their logo all over the interior so you know who to blame.

They probably shot themselves in the foot doing that. Microsoft is really good at doing that.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davebo posted:

I can't speak to MS's Sync but Microsoft's UVO system in my Optima is straight up garbage in the way it handles mp3's. I keep waiting for some sort of firmware update or something to fix its issues.

Edit: ah there is one new update, I'll try that and hope for the best.

Edit: nope, didn't fix anything.

What sort of problems are you having with UVO and the way it handles MP3's?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

TheGoatTrick posted:

Looks pretty close to the production version:

This kind of reminds me of the Panamera in that they took the original car and stretched it out so it's weirdly and unnaturally long.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Voltage posted:

I might be the only person who likes MFT/SYNC. I never really have had problems with mine. I have a 2014 Fiesta ST and Navi, bluetooth phone support, bluetooth audio, voice recognition etc. all work perfectly fine. It's slow as poo poo compared to even a crappy android tablet, but it gets the job done. Some areas could be improved for sure, but overall it's not bad.

Agreed.

Though the voice navigation seems a bit sketchy. Getting to my local muffler shop ended up in frustration.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You drive a 940, thumbs. That engine wouldn't scream even if you cut its nuts off and salted the wounds. :v:

My 240 has some sort of ancient aftermarket exhaust, and it certainly screams when I hit the kickdown (even if it's not going anywhere fast while doing it)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kill me now posted:

What sort of problems are you having with UVO and the way it handles MP3's?

It clips off the first half-second or so of every song, so you usually miss the first note which is irritating. The major issue is that there's no alternate way to sort files, and it disregards filenames when browsing through folders (even though the filename is what it's displaying when doing so.) What that means is if you have an album, especially something designed to play in a specific order, it will instead play them based on the Song Title in the id3 tag. It's pretty ridiculous when you have a whole album with numbered tracks and this thing just wants to play the end of something first just because the track starts with an A, so I have to either make a playlist or add a track number to the beginning of each id3 tag before I put it on my usb drive.

It'd also be nice if it told you which number file you're in within a folder, like a folder with 20 songs should say I'm on track 6 of 20 instead of the entire songs on the 16gb usb drive.

Edit: vv Appetite for Destruction just doesn't work if Welcome to the Jungle isn't the first thing you hear.

davebo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 27, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

davebo posted:

What that means is if you have an album, especially something designed to play in a specific order, it will instead play them based on the Song Title in the id3 tag. It's pretty ridiculous when you have a whole album with numbered tracks and this thing just wants to play the end of something first just because the track starts with an A, so I have to either make a playlist or add a track number to the beginning of each id3 tag before I put it on my usb drive.

Sync in my Focus does the same thing. gently caress track order, we'll just play the songs alphabetically.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
MFT is horrible and its only redeeming quality is Sync, which is not terrible.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

SYNC is excellent but MFT is terrible, as far as I've seen. Sync is helpful and relatively easy to get used to (unless you're Jeremy Clarkson) and I very much enjoy having it in my vehicle.

As far as track order goes, it seems to play alphabetically through the entire library unless an album is selected, in which case it plays through that album in order.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davebo posted:

It clips off the first half-second or so of every song, so you usually miss the first note which is irritating. The major issue is that there's no alternate way to sort files, and it disregards filenames when browsing through folders (even though the filename is what it's displaying when doing so.) What that means is if you have an album, especially something designed to play in a specific order, it will instead play them based on the Song Title in the id3 tag. It's pretty ridiculous when you have a whole album with numbered tracks and this thing just wants to play the end of something first just because the track starts with an A, so I have to either make a playlist or add a track number to the beginning of each id3 tag before I put it on my usb drive.

It'd also be nice if it told you which number file you're in within a folder, like a folder with 20 songs should say I'm on track 6 of 20 instead of the entire songs on the 16gb usb drive.

Edit: vv Appetite for Destruction just doesn't work if Welcome to the Jungle isn't the first thing you hear.

Fair enough. It may not do anything but with Kia it's worth contacting their customer support with your issues. They are in general these days very good at listening to customer feedback and trying to improve things when possible.

Its also worth noting that Kia may be moving to more android based systems like they are trying out with the Nav system in the 2014 Soul. I'll have to check to see if that system maintains album orders on the USB music.

My one bone to pick with them is that on my 2014 Optima I can't use most of the UVO eServices features because I have a Nokia wp8 phone and they haven't released the eservices app for it. They only currently support iphone and android. Its still a real nice nav system though so I can't complain too much.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

N is for Nipples posted:

SYNC is excellent but MFT is terrible, as far as I've seen. Sync is helpful and relatively easy to get used to (unless you're Jeremy Clarkson) and I very much enjoy having it in my vehicle.

As far as track order goes, it seems to play alphabetically through the entire library unless an album is selected, in which case it plays through that album in order.

I would agree with this. I have SYNC but not MFT in my Mustang, and it's excellent. There's a few (usually foreign) song names or artist names that it doesn't recognize, and occasionally weird song order problems, but apart from that it's fine, and neither of those issues are a huge deal.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Sudo Echo posted:

Sync is terrible, only Microsoft would take a large high resolution color LCD and use it to display only one line at a time. Connecting my phone was five menus deep and if I made the mistake of disconnecting it before opening the door (which was what actually turned off the radio) I had to go through it all again to reconnect. Just an awful interface, and MS spews their logo all over the interior so you know who to blame.

I especially appreciated the two sets of identical controls for the different displays, really love redundant buttons on my steering wheels.
I'm confused. I only had to connect my phone once and now it just reconnects automatically when I start the car. Also, I only have one small Microsoft logo tucked up behind the gearshift lever. Course, this is Sync before MFT so maybe it's worse now?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Presto posted:

Course, this is Sync before MFT so maybe it's worse now?

That's the general consensus, yeah.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My mom has an Escape, I havent driven it much but I cant for the life of me get my head around the infotainment system, lots of buttons, and touch screen buttons.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's safe to say myfordtouch will go down in history as one of the most confusingly terrible business decisions made in the industry. A major black eye.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Presto posted:

I'm confused. I only had to connect my phone once and now it just reconnects automatically when I start the car. Also, I only have one small Microsoft logo tucked up behind the gearshift lever. Course, this is Sync before MFT so maybe it's worse now?

As a counterpoint to all this I have a later in the model year 2013 SHO and I've never had any problems with MFT. No crashes, always remembers both my wifes and my phone, and everything I regularly try to access is one screen from the top menu or I just use the steering wheel d-pads for anyways. Also you can get rid of a lot of the annoying voice prompts and speed up the system by going to the advanced voice mode.

I've gotten the impression that the worst MFT issues seemed to crop up on the 2012 and early 2013 Fords.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I can see that. Our 2014 Explorer Sport is problem free so far. We've only had it 5 months or so. Really makes me think they improved the hardware somehow.

How do you like the SHO? I'm posting this from a dealer right now looking at a CPO 2013

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Presto posted:

It only would forget the phone if I made the mistake of unplugging it before opening the door. I counted three logos, one on the gauge cluster, one on the gear shift cover, and one whenever you turn the car on. This was in a 2012 Focus without navigation. The problem wasn't the hardware, it was all software. The most annoying thing was definitely the one line at a time menus on an 800x600 screen. It also truncated long song titles even though there was plenty of room to display the full names. Mind boggling stuff.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 28, 2014

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

skipdogg posted:

I can see that. Our 2014 Explorer Sport is problem free so far. We've only had it 5 months or so. Really makes me think they improved the hardware somehow.

How do you like the SHO? I'm posting this from a dealer right now looking at a CPO 2013

Can't complain, there're some performance aspects I wish were better(slow shifts, weight) but overall it's a great compromise between an everyday commuter, family(or stuff) hauler, and sports car that I feel comfortable driving all year round through any weather. It's also a lot more luxurious than most expect, have a couple friends with stripper off lease-special BMWs who were surprised what you can get in a fully loaded new car nowadays, luxury marquee or not. As a not particularly tall or fat person the complaints about it being cramped inside in relation to its outer dimensions don't bother me.

All that said I might've ended up with an SRT8 if snowy driving wasn't a concern.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I've been seeing a lot of new Cherokees around here (Minneapolis). Not just "hey, that's the third new Cherokee I've seen this week," but more like "holy poo poo, that's the third new Cherokee I've seen today," and repeat for the last week. I'm really surprised that they seem to be selling as well as it appears. I'll be curious to get a closer look at next month's prestigious Twin Cities Auto Show to see if I can figure out why.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't have any problems with my MFT after two years of installing updates they've given me. I'm sure mailing those out with updated map packs weighed heavily in their decision to drop Microsoft.

I don't mind having the two d-pads and mirrored controls in my edge. Gap control on my radar cruise is amazing.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I heard the combination of all new technology (brand new drivetrain, brand new motor, brand new 8 speed auto, or something like it) in the new Cherokee has caused quite a lot of issues and repeated trips to the dealership.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The fact that it looks like a turd has also caused some concerns, I believe

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Elem7 posted:

Can't complain, there're some performance aspects I wish were better(slow shifts, weight) but overall it's a great compromise between an everyday commuter, family(or stuff) hauler, and sports car that I feel comfortable driving all year round through any weather. It's also a lot more luxurious than most expect, have a couple friends with stripper off lease-special BMWs who were surprised what you can get in a fully loaded new car nowadays, luxury marquee or not. As a not particularly tall or fat person the complaints about it being cramped inside in relation to its outer dimensions don't bother me.

All that said I might've ended up with an SRT8 if snowy driving wasn't a concern.

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard a ECU tune can really clean up the shift points as that has been a big complaint from some folks. Might be worth looking into

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm seeing renewed rumors that Mazda is targeting a new RX-7 for 2016 but can't make an official announcement yet for some reason.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mazda-rx-7-return-2016

I've been getting teased every which way by the rumors about a new rotary, so I'm not holding my breath, but drat do I want this to be true so badly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm predicting a new rotary, but that there will never be a factory turbo version, "because really, who the gently caress cares about enthusiasts, we just want to sell them to single women."

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'm seeing renewed rumors that Mazda is targeting a new RX-7 for 2016 but can't make an official announcement yet for some reason.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mazda-rx-7-return-2016

I've been getting teased every which way by the rumors about a new rotary, so I'm not holding my breath, but drat do I want this to be true so badly.

I want it to be true as well but it won't. The only way a 2-rotor solution will be competitive is with parallel hybrid system. Mazda, for whatever reason, only seems to be interested in 2-rotor solutions and the only way to make power that is acceptable to today's buyers is to have a huge turbo attached. And the only logical way to get rid of huge turbo lag is to augment it with a reasonably powerful battery system.

I really hope Toyota brings the FT-1 to market and puts pressure on the other Japanese manufacturers to put out something reasonably interesting. You'd be hard-pressed to find an enthusiast that doesn't want Mazda to bring the rotary back but no one wants an RX-7 that has less power than was available on showroom floors in 1992.

I feel like this should be really simple for Mazda. Take the 16X, give it direct injection, a turbo, and a hybrid system. That checks off all the technology buzzwords magazines expect to see. Take the new MX-5 platform and stretch it a bit for the RX-7. Slap in all the whiz-bang powertrain stuff and I don't even feel like they'd have to try very hard to have it come in at less than 3200lbs. If they really want headlines, target less than 3000lbs. I would write Mazda a check tomorrow if they could pull that off.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I want it to be true as well but it won't. The only way a 2-rotor solution will be competitive is with parallel hybrid system. Mazda, for whatever reason, only seems to be interested in 2-rotor solutions and the only way to make power that is acceptable to today's buyers is to have a huge turbo attached. And the only logical way to get rid of huge turbo lag is to augment it with a reasonably powerful battery system.

I really hope Toyota brings the FT-1 to market and puts pressure on the other Japanese manufacturers to put out something reasonably interesting. You'd be hard-pressed to find an enthusiast that doesn't want Mazda to bring the rotary back but no one wants an RX-7 that has less power than was available on showroom floors in 1992.

I feel like this should be really simple for Mazda. Take the 16X, give it direct injection, a turbo, and a hybrid system. That checks off all the technology buzzwords magazines expect to see. Take the new MX-5 platform and stretch it a bit for the RX-7. Slap in all the whiz-bang powertrain stuff and I don't even feel like they'd have to try very hard to have it come in at less than 3200lbs. If they really want headlines, target less than 3000lbs. I would write Mazda a check tomorrow if they could pull that off.

Would you write Mazda a $50k check though? That's a ton of new, expensive things at once for a company that is low on R&D money, and given that a Miata starts at about $24k sticker, I'd expect an N/A RX-7 to be north of $30k and one that hot to run above $40k for sure. Mazda doesn't even have any hybrid systems available to them that I know of.

On second thought, the FD was about $60k inflation adjusted, so maybe they will be brave enough to build a high-end sports car. I just don't see how the market is there though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Wasn't it emissions that killed the rotary? Not sure DI can magically cure that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

There's only one answer here. Diesel rotary.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Mazda has a rotary-hybrid test mule, actually.

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/12/23/mazda2-extended-range-rotary-ev/

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Coredump posted:

There's only one answer here. Diesel rotary.

Rolls-Royce has you covered

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Still waiting for a gas-turbine extended-range EV.

:colbert:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Snowdens Secret posted:

Wasn't it emissions that killed the rotary? Not sure DI can magically cure that.

There was talk of using LASERS for ignition instead of sparkplugs which supposedly helped the engine burn cleaner.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

The concept killed rotary, well and the execution.

It's not for the masses. It's hard to market and ultimately hard to sell.

Enthusiasts like them, but let's be honest we don't make up a significant portion of the market.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

MrYenko posted:

Still waiting for a gas-turbine extended-range EV.

:colbert:

better gas mileage the faster you go is a wonderful sales feature. Plus no tailgating when you melt the bumper of the car behind you!

Basically sells itself.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
By my calculations, Mazda would sell a trillion cars if they would only make a rear wheel drive manual rotary station wagon.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sinestro posted:

By my calculations, Mazda would sell a trillion cars if they would only make a rear wheel drive manual rotary station wagon.

Almost, it has to be rear-biased AWD with a turbo diesel rotary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I like to think it was all the apex seals shooting out the exhaust. It's always apex seals.