Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Smerdyakov posted:

Not exactly a lie per se, but the price of globals don't really correlate to their effectiveness.

Uhh.. yeah, that isn't to lie, it's the player who have to think which spells are more effective and which less effective, and in what conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Smerdyakov posted:

Not exactly a lie per se, but the price of globals don't really correlate to their effectiveness.

The most useful globals tend to be gem generating globals and gift of health (if you're alive) or burden of time (if you're a piece of poo poo undead jerk or if your guys live a really long time and you're a jerk.)

Globals that harm enemies in your domain are pretty useless unless you have really strong dominion and you've been actively spreading it all game.

All the globals that summon something like the ghost ship armada, lord of the hunt, etc. are a huge waste of gems.

The blood globals are all bad, and even astral corruption is pretty underwhelming by the time you can cast it. If it was a level 5 spell, it would be interesting. Even blood vortex, (the one that generates blood slaves) doesn't usually net you more than 3-4 hunters would, and it kills THOUSANDS of people every turn in the province that it's cast in and in nearby provinces in a semi-random radius. Most of the people that die will be your people, which will lower your income AND make it much harder to blood hunt.

There are lots of gimmick globals that don't seem to really factor into MP games much--by the time someone casts them, that person has either clearly won or lost, so it doesn't really make a difference.

Corruption is a pretty big deal now and is only a level 7 spell. You can't just script returning and give no fucks so there really is no good way to get around it these days. Concerted forging and ritual efforts will be heavily damaged by it, particularly on the first turn of it's casting. I lost 4 mind hunters and a few forging mages with hammers on the first turn corruption went up in Lyre. It's a very powerful gently caress you spell even if you just cast it with the minimum slave investment (which isn't a really big investment since we are dealing with blood slaves).

Dark skies, vengeful water and looming hell are extremely powerful defensive globals which can do very mean things to people if you catch them unawares deep in your dom. Dark skies combined with like 2 guys casting panic can route just about any number of units that have a morale score. Looming hell will essentially make it impossible to move normal armies around in your space with basic commanders. Vengeful water is capable of killing most mages and commanders because water elementals are badass. Vortex is poo poo unless you took turmoil 3. Try it in test with turmoil and it generates ridiculous numbers of slaves. If by some chance I had T3 and was playing blood I would certainly consider dropping it on a captured cap.

GoH and gemgens are still kings of the globals but there are uses for many of the others later on in the game.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Enchanted forest is both hilarious and annoying as asphodel gently caress you spell. Start randomly stealing provinces from everyone on the map, then dropping some PD on it. This will anger your allies of cours.e.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Astral Nexus or whatever the name is for the global where you basically get a cut of every gem spent out of combat is the most dangerous one, for while it does give you a lot of power it also straps a gigantic kick me sign on the person who casts it. I once foolishly attacked a player who was much stronger then me (thanks in part due to I had just finished a brutal war with another strong power) but thanks to the idiot casting that global suddenly I was in a lot better position.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Astral Nexus or whatever the name is for the global where you basically get a cut of every gem spent out of combat is the most dangerous one, for while it does give you a lot of power it also straps a gigantic kick me sign on the person who casts it. I once foolishly attacked a player who was much stronger then me (thanks in part due to I had just finished a brutal war with another strong power) but thanks to the idiot casting that global suddenly I was in a lot better position.

Assuming it gets dispelled the turn after it's cast, which it should be, Nexus doesn't seem as big a thing without gemgens. You won't get enough gems to pay for another casting if and when it's dispelled quickly. The kickme sign doesn't go away though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Dark Skies is the most underrated defensive global in the game. -1 morale PER FRIENDLY CANDLE holy gently caress.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What about Forge of the Ancients?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Torrannor posted:

What about Forge of the Ancients?

It's good buy it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I just created a newbie game, so if you got the game on the sale recently sign up for it on Brainwinkle! I'm a noob myself (0 multiplayer games played) and am acting as the admin. It's a 15 province per player random map, middle age. Noobs get in here!

http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/122

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

TheDemon posted:

Dark Skies is the most underrated defensive global in the game. -1 morale PER FRIENDLY CANDLE holy gently caress.

Yeah its great id just cast it in Moreblood the turn before Pan won the game, its funny seeing scouts and such with negative morale when discovered.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Uhh.. yeah, that isn't to lie, it's the player who have to think which spells are more effective and which less effective, and in what conditions.

...there's always one knucklehead. While dom4 is an interesting game with lots of niche situations, some spells are clearly better than others if you have a choice between the two of them, and the official documentation about globals is still/will always be pretty spotty. There are plenty of spells that sound awesome but end up sucking in practice, and vice versa. Who would've thought the most powerful blood spell would be called "rain of toads?"

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Corruption is a pretty big deal now and is only a level 7 spell. You can't just script returning and give no fucks so there really is no good way to get around it these days. Concerted forging and ritual efforts will be heavily damaged by it, particularly on the first turn of it's casting. I lost 4 mind hunters and a few forging mages with hammers on the first turn corruption went up in Lyre. It's a very powerful gently caress you spell even if you just cast it with the minimum slave investment (which isn't a really big investment since we are dealing with blood slaves).

Dark skies, vengeful water and looming hell are extremely powerful defensive globals which can do very mean things to people if you catch them unawares deep in your dom. Dark skies combined with like 2 guys casting panic can route just about any number of units that have a morale score.

I want to believe what you're saying about astral corruption because that would be immediately relevant to me in a game I'm in. That said, how much of it is a problem still if you use cheap-boosted throwaway guys with badass bodyguards?

Dark skies is boss, I just forgot about it, but the others lose a lot of effectiveness once the initial surprise wears off, which makes them kind of gimmicky/niche. Not saying they're not worth casting, I'm just not sure if they make a difference one way or the other by the time they get cast.

Oh, also there should be a special shout-out to frozen sea or however it's called. Most aquatic nations can really only troll, and making it impossible for land units to go in the water is the ultimate trolling move.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 28, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Smerdyakov posted:

...there's always one knucklehead. While dom4 is an interesting game with lots of niche situations, some spells are clearly better than others if you have a choice between the two of them, and the official documentation about globals is still/will always be pretty spotty. There are plenty of spells that sound awesome but end up sucking in practice, and vice versa. Who would've thought the most powerful blood spell would be called "rain of toads?"

... So some spells are better than others, mostly when you haven't tried for yourself in the game. ...How that means that the manual is full of lies???
I could understand if there was strategy notes in there saying "this spell is good", "this isn't so great", but it's not the case.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Turin Turambar posted:

... So some spells are better than others, mostly when you haven't tried for yourself in the game. ...How that means that the manual is full of lies???
I could understand if there was strategy notes in there saying "this spell is good", "this isn't so great", but it's not the case.

Dom3 manual said niefel pd was good. :(

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Chomp8645 posted:

I just created a newbie game, so if you got the game on the sale recently sign up for it on Brainwinkle! I'm a noob myself (0 multiplayer games played) and am acting as the admin. It's a 15 province per player random map, middle age. Noobs get in here!

Awful lot of not-noobs in there already.

Exrandu
Jan 31, 2014

"Things need not have happened to be true."

MrBims posted:

At least I'm a noob. :(

Also I think having a few more experienced players in a noob game is good, even if they're very likely to win. You can't know what you're doing wrong unless you see someone doing it right.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

MrBims posted:

One of them as MA Ermor, no less.

Classy.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Victor Vermis posted:

One of them as MA Ermor, no less.

Classy.

I'm curious why you don't think I'm a noob at dominions because I sure do.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Neruz posted:

I'm curious why you don't think I'm a noob at dominions because I sure do.

How many MP games of Dom4 have you been in, including the games you're currently still alive in? I'm guessing it's around 10. I've played in 9 games since purchasing Dom3- including a blitz and late game substitution- and I'd feel guilty joining a newbie game.

Keep in mind newbie games are full of people who are new to the game and/or have only ever played single player. You don't need many MP games under your belt to have a massively unfair (and unfun) advantage.

edit: Also you took MA Ermor. It's pretty transparent, guy.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Absum
May 28, 2013

I've played 6 including ones that I'm still alive in (one that is still on turn 13), and I also feel it would be unfair for me to join a newbie game, especially as I feel that people with one or zero games should be given a chance to join first, or people that aren't in any games currently.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Considering that I have lost every single war with a human player I have ever conducted barring light border skirmishes, routinely gently caress up and get all my dudes killed before turn 5 and still have no idea what the hell I should even be doing beyond 'get dudes, kill other dudes' I have no worries about having any sort of advantage.

Hell the Normal AI routinely kicks my rear end in singleplayer games.

Victor Vermis posted:

edit: Also you took MA Ermor. It's pretty transparent, guy.

I will enjoy throwing your words back in your face when I demonstrate my utter incompetence during the game.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Mhmyes, playing MA Ermor against beginners will increase your skills a thousand-fold.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Dang, it was already full before I even saw it. :smith:

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Neruz posted:

utter incompetence

Then let me help you out with some broad strategic advice here: Don't play MA Ermor in multiplayer games.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Picking MA Ermor in a newb mp game is a p. douche move

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm a little bummed out that I didn't get to play in the newbie game but maybe I should learn how to beat the computer first.

I have two questions:
How do I figure out how many troops I need in order to capture a neutral province. I think I tend to shoot way too high or way too low.

How do fortresses change the units that can be built in a province? Do I need to check beforehand to see if mages/priests are available there or will a fort change things.

Maybe I need to cheat my way through a test game and put forts all over the map to see how it works.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Noob is relative, if someone only plays mp and never practices offline they might be pretty noob despite having played in a dozen games

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I have two questions:
How do I figure out how many troops I need in order to capture a neutral province. I think I tend to shoot way too high or way too low.

How do fortresses change the units that can be built in a province? Do I need to check beforehand to see if mages/priests are available there or will a fort change things.

1) Practice, I guess. Or more accurate scouting - the "there's about fifty people here, a High Priest was seen in the camp radiating power" messages are not accurate. Spies give better reports (i.e. units with the "spy" ability), and for exact numbers just charge a lone commander into the province with orders to immediately retreat.

2) Forts let you buy national troops/commanders. Some nations get national troops outside of forts, but most get their troops by building forts and recruiting there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Flavahbeast posted:

Noob is relative, if someone only plays mp and never practices offline they might be pretty noob despite having played in a dozen games

I confess I'm another one of those. Dozens of MP games behind me and I still get dumpstered like a chump. Really, I stop considering myself a newbie right after I stop losing one 300+ army after another. My best successes up to date were a handful of occasions were I beat back the siege on my cap and survived a few turns longer.

Still, I only join newbie games if I want to try out some stupid gimmick against live players. After all, if I will lose horridly, why not against someone who needs encouragement? Every newbie who ends up fighting me can proudly proclaim how he beat an "experienced" player. (I'll promise to never tell someone the truth.)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
All these arguments are good and all

but picking MA Ermor in a noob game, really

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Since we're talking about Ermor, how should I approach EA Ermor? Do I Pick a scales build and drown the world in legionaries or try to use blessed equites? I went with the former because equites are universally terrible in any game with Rome and I'm really chewing through indies. Are their priests just for banishment?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
They're all terrible arguments because despite losing a lot you're still a mile better than a brand new player.

I lose constantly, lose wars constantly, and run terrible gimmicks sometimes. That does not make me qualified for a new player game. It has not made me qualified for a new player game since finishing my second game or thereabouts.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TheDemon posted:

They're all terrible arguments because despite losing a lot you're still a mile better than a brand new player.

I lose constantly, lose wars constantly, and run terrible gimmicks sometimes. That does not make me qualified for a new player game. It has not made me qualified for a new player game since finishing my second game or thereabouts.

But the best way to bring new players into the game and enrich the community is to experience the fun of an experienced player grinding them into the dust with MA Ermor in what is sure to be an enjoyable gaming experience for all

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I've only won a couple games, I might join in as Mictlan.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TheDemon posted:

To be honest, I was talking out of my rear end. The last time I did join a newbie-game myself I only remember because I felt so goddamn guilty all the time I was glad to finally lose just so this horrible feeling would stop.

Also playing a nation like MA Ermor or Lemuria isn't even fun in single player. For some reason something inside me just dies if I see too many of my provinces fall to zero population. In MP-games I always try my best to stay the gently caress away from them until someone else fights them. Taking MA Ermor or Lemuria in a MP game for newbies isn't really a good idea. Either you win so easy it makes you feel ashamed, or you lose incredibly fast because you just painted a huge target on your back and even newbies should know you're bad news and work together to take you down.

In short, after thinking it through a bit I agree with you. My earlier post was infected by some secret desire to finally win a game, which clouded my judgement. But gently caress this, losing with style is more fun than bumbling around in kindergarten. And now I go back to Waterworld. The game really goes swimmingly for me right now! (Drowning is a kind of swimming, right? :shepface:)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheDemon posted:

If there was a newbie game that was having a hard time finding a 7th and 8th player, it'd be really cool to have a moderately experienced player come in playing something silly.

Also, what's wrong with MA Ermor?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If there was a newbie game that was having a hard time finding a 7th and 8th player, it'd be really cool to have a moderately experienced player come in playing something silly.

MA Ermor, like LA Lemuria, is a nation that literally kills off all population and freespawns skeletons/ghosts everywhere. It turns into a chore to play, but worse is your dominion is literally growing into some sort of death cancer on the map, useless to everyone except other undead freespawn nations. So everyone has to take you down before you get too powerful, but the chumps who take you down will get a bunch of useless provinces and are most likely to lose the game thanks to their trouble.

Edit:

The only real way to play MA Ermor or LA Lemuria in multiplayer is to play it like the stereotypical villain: You have to give your enemies (Everyone.) plenty of chances to take you down, you'll have to gently caress up on purpose to emulate your stereotypical hubris and overconfidence and also you lose automatically if you win. You can only win by losing in the most fancy way possible.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 28, 2014

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Hey whoever manages to take over the undead hellholes former capitol gets THE BEST DEATH GEM SITE EVER. That is worth becoming the games next big target, right?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I have two questions:

You need to recruit Scouts from every province that can recruit them every single turn. Use repeat recruitment. If you are unlucky and don't get scout provinces just go AI. Scouts will give you a rough estimation of the enemy force in the province which will often be terribly off and cause you to die. A scout might report that there are some militia and archers and leave out the information about two powerful air mages backing them up.

You can use your scouts (or independent commanders, 40g always recruit these also) set to Retreat orders and put them at the back of the battlefield and then attack a province. This will give you a totally 100% accurate look at the enemy in the province so you can guess what you need to send there and formations to use etc.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Literally everything, as far as a game for new players goes. They kill population, you have to use very different tools and scripting to fight them compared to everyone else, and things like cutting their provinces off to hinder their income is more like an annoyance than a real threat to their survival.

You need to work together to kill them as soon as possible (and have fun being the guy who gets 15 Death Gems per turn and constantly has to watch their back for the whole game), and if Neruz casts Burden of Time your game is pretty much over.

Neruz if you cast Burden of Time in a game for new players you are pretty much hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

If you are unlucky and don't get scout provinces just go AI.

That is a supremely lovely reason to AI a game.

• Locked thread