Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm not a huge fan of how blocky he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The Taint Reaper posted:

You all should be ashamed about wanting another Bumblebee figure, ASHAMED! :black101:

I'm excited for a Bumblebee figure. Up is down, red is blue, cats and dogs living together, MASS HYSTERIA!

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

strangehamster posted:

Is Revolver going to be FansProjects first complete failure? Everything else was pretty good right?

$23 :iamafag: lookin' good Hasbro

$94 :pwn: oh hey it's kinda G1

Ehhh one of those is a promo photo, so I think that is making Revolver look that much worse in comparison. Revolver's biggest problem is a weird aesthetic. The robot mode is certainly better than Hasbro Roadbuster, but not worth spending 4x as much, not by a long shot

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Peter Bazooka posted:

The guys from MMC that post on TFW said they know they're gonna take a hit in sales but they've got no plans to cancel.
Which is wonderful because there's going to be atleast 3 remolds that all look great, plus they're cheap for 3rd party ($60 for Arcee, $50 for the remolds). Also nicely sized, at old classics deluxe height, or to use a more recent comparison, just a head shorter than voyager Springer. Their Solus inspired one even has a Vector Prime-esque alt mode.

The Taint Reaper posted:

You all should be ashamed about wanting another Bumblebee figure, ASHAMED! :black101:
I don't particularly want MP Bee, but that's silly. The only thing it has in common with any of the other Bee figures is the name and being yellow. The modern characters named Bumblebee have all been extremely different from the one that many would consider to be a beloved character from their childhood.

Almost $300 if you want the full set of armor.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So apparently there's a new game that isn't the crossover title coming out soon-ish? I dunno, here's some info.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Question, though: Given the accuracy of the MP alt modes, is it even going to be possible to remold MP Bumblebee into an MP Cliffjumper? They don't seem to fuss about real life vehicle scale much but getting a decent Porsche 924 out of a Bumblebee that blocky might be a challenge.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

All this movie leader talk and we're forgetting the best one, Brawl. :colbert:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
My favorite peaugh moment was when he snapped his cannon right off.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The Rage posted:

I wish I could buy one, they're an arm and a leg right?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

(and there wasn't a DOTM leader)
Completely odd rear end note about DOTM Megatron that I don't think has been posted in the thread: Evasion Mode Optimus (the G1 looking voyager) apparently comes with Megatron's shotgun from the previous movie, which is more or less designed to be used with the previous voyager. And looks completely terrible in Optimus' hand.

I hope this also heralds the return of my favorite character from DOTM, said shotgun.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

strangehamster posted:

Yeah, I've been trying to get both him and Jetfire for a pretty long time. They're reasonable enough to get incomplete or broken from some mom on eBay, but if you want to get the full thing, hope you're prepared to pay over 120$.

Spiderdrake posted:

Evasion Mode Optimus (the G1 looking voyager) apparently comes with Megatron's shotgun from the previous movie, which is more or less designed to be used with the previous voyager.
Speaking as the only person in the world who considers DotM Megs one of her favourite toys, you have no idea how happy that news made me. I love that Hasbro is willing to think back to their older toys like that.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What are you talking about, DOTM Megatron is a legit cool toy and possibly the only cool movie megs design.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The Rage posted:

I owned one and sold it. He has gimpy little arms and I hate the way his cannon just king of hangs off his hip. The asymmetry of his arm weapons also bugs me. And he's kind of a fatbody compared to his CGI model. But yeah he's a pretty solid toy if that stuff doesn't annoy you.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Why cookie Rocket posted:

My #1 TF vehicle want is an SR-71 Blackbird, and Jetfire's vehicle mode doesn't disappoint. The robot mode and transformation are unfortunately pretty dire. Like Victory Leo and RID Magnus before him, he suffers from "my main mode is actually Prime's Sunday best" syndrome. Except those other two toys rule, and Jetfire sucks.

I just transformed leader Sentinel Prime into truck mode last night as a matter of fact, and he's a lot cooler than I had remembered. My memory was that he's a fiddly fussy piece of crap with but both modes look pretty good. On re-examination, the transformation wasn't that annoying (maybe because I picked up Knight Morpher Cyclops since I got Sentinel. Cyclops has to have the bitchiest transformation between two great modes ever known) and given today's issues I can't believe I ever thought Sentinel's plastic felt cheap. His biggest issue is his weirdly pale coloring, with lack of paint apps a close second. If you can live with those things, and a somewhat challenging transformation, you'll be golden.

The leader-class guy you should have your eye on, if you don';t have him already, is Ironhide. I'm no fan of the Bayverse but it's such a great TF.

That's a shame on Jetfire. I really liked his design from the movie (and having watched the movie for the first time recently, it's one the very few positives I can grasp to about that movie). I still think I'll get it, but I'll wait on it. Like you and Terry mentioned, Sentinel Prime sounds great, and I think I'll look into Ironhide and Starscream (best transformers character).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only Bumblebee I have is a little G2 reissue. :smugbert:

That is, unless you count Hotshot and Sparkplug from Armada and WoC Cliffjumper.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

XavierGenisi posted:

That's a shame on Jetfire. I really liked his design from the movie (and having watched the movie for the first time recently, it's one the very few positives I can grasp to about that movie). I still think I'll get it, but I'll wait on it. Like you and Terry mentioned, Sentinel Prime sounds great, and I think I'll look into Ironhide and Starscream (best transformers character).

Yeah actually let me just stipulate that if Jetfire was still on shelves at retail price I'd say "It's not quite worth $50 but eh you only live once". But if you're contemplating one of the the $150 MISB Jetfires on ebay you need all the facts. The sad, disappointing facts.

Edit: I found Starscream really disappointing, but that's mostly because I find his "sideways diamond with some arms and legs glued on" shape to be really ugly, and the Batista tattoos aren't helping anything. Also no wrist swivels for some reason.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 28, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Also no wrist swivels for some reason.

I love Leader Starscream but yeah, I LOATHE his lack of wrist swivels. It ruins him way more than other figures where I can tolerate it.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

404GoonNotFound posted:

So apparently there's a new game that isn't the crossover title coming out soon-ish? I dunno, here's some info.

Transformers universe is the MOBA (League of Legends, DOTA etc) game.
Rise of the dark spark is the crossover title.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I just got Takara Generations Waspinator in the mail from BBTS. I hate to be that guy but I really recommend upgrading to the Takara version before it gets pricey because it's a lot prettier than the Hasbro version. The green plastic isn't as dark in person. The gold paint apps aren't goopy as hell like the yellow paint apps on the Hasbro version, allowing more of the detail to remain visible. To my surprise (as I've never felt like this about a Takara version) I'm pretty sure the tolerances are better-- I'll probably chalk that one up to "luck of the draw" more than Takara cracking the whip. The extra paint apps on the head make a huge difference too, he just looks so much more like the character with a proper mouth. If you're on the fence, come over to this side, it's fantastic!

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

The shots I've seen of Skrapnel and Tailgate make them look like cheap plasticy poo poo. Do we like Whirl because Kapow are getting more in stock but I'm on the fence for £28, even though there's a distinct lack of Pyschopathic Helicopters in my collection.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Goldskull posted:

Do we like Whirl because Kapow are getting more in stock but I'm on the fence for £28, even though there's a distinct lack of Pyschopathic Helicopters in my collection.

Whirls is *PRETTY* great, I got him from Kapow with a discount, so he was £24, and I think that's about right, to get him from an import place.
He's a £20 toy in a shop, at most.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
If maketoys decide on making Tailgate I'm all in for it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
G2 Masterpiece Sideswipe is badass. Huge guns, sword, spikes and a snarl. It's perfect.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

I just got Takara Generations Waspinator in the mail from BBTS. I hate to be that guy but I really recommend upgrading to the Takara version before it gets pricey because it's a lot prettier than the Hasbro version. The green plastic isn't as dark in person. The gold paint apps aren't goopy as hell like the yellow paint apps on the Hasbro version, allowing more of the detail to remain visible. To my surprise (as I've never felt like this about a Takara version) I'm pretty sure the tolerances are better-- I'll probably chalk that one up to "luck of the draw" more than Takara cracking the whip. The extra paint apps on the head make a huge difference too, he just looks so much more like the character with a proper mouth. If you're on the fence, come over to this side, it's fantastic!

This is the gospel truth. I passed on Waspy back in December because of the bright colors and sparse paint apps. Not a problem with Takara's version. Plus, as WcR noted, all of his joints are set at the ideal tightness. And he's completely awesome-looking in both modes. If his bot head could be concealed more easily, he'd be perfect.

I had high hopes for Takara's Rhinox, too, but that metallic brown just isn't doing it for me.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

strangehamster posted:

Yeah last I looked anyways, I sold my desert version a couple years back and even then he fetched $200. The green one is the only movie figure I still own just because it's a goddamn leader sized tank, it's glorious.

edit: actually he's way more affordable now, loose ~$50, sealed, ~$100

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 1, 2014

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Found the Scoop/Armadascream/Minicon/Skywarp wave at Target in West Hollywood, but they were priced at $18.75 so I passed. They all look good but that's just a ridiculous price, especially with the BH Deluxes sitting next to them for $12.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy gently caress. I bought Rhinox and I had heard rumors that his knees were flopping, but mine has floppy hip joints too. It's literally impossible to make him stand up. Is this fixable, or should I just return it to HTS?

The figure is awesome and all that, but I can't roll with a crippled Transformer.

...unless I made a wheelchair for him.

Hmmmm.

edit: Oh, I also grabbed Whirl and the Minicon team, though the minicons haven't shown up yet, and Whirl rules. His modular weaponry is great, his chicken legs are a little awkward sometimes but they are as sturdy as all get-out, and you can even reverse them into normal legs if you want to! His foot transformation means he's got gently caress-all for ankle articulation, which is heresy, but I'll deal. The arms are about as articulated as can be, and the head has a nice antenna gimmick, It's an excellent Whirl figure, go buy it. Feels way sturdier than Rhinox, that's for drat sure at least.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 1, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keldroc posted:

Found the Scoop/Armadascream/Minicon/Skywarp wave at Target in West Hollywood, but they were priced at $18.75 so I passed. They all look good but that's just a ridiculous price, especially with the BH Deluxes sitting next to them for $12.
I found them at TRU for $13 and picked up all but Armada Starscream because Armada is what got me out of Transformers the first go around.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy gently caress. I bought Rhinox and I had heard rumors that his knees were flopping, but mine has floppy hip joints too. It's literally impossible to make him stand up. Is this fixable, or should I just return it to HTS?

You might wanna wait till they start popping up in stores, that way if you get another loose one it's easier to take it back and try again. Returning through the mail is a hassle, and given how common this problem is you might not do much better with your next one.

He's such an awesome figure that I wish I had picked up Cheetor and Dinobot way back when. Hopefully we get Primal and Megatron, or at least a reissue cause I'm pretty sure the originals go for a fair bit now.

quote:

His modular weaponry is great, his chicken legs are a little awkward sometimes but they are as sturdy as all get-out, and you can even reverse them into normal legs if you want to!

The normal legs really have to posed awkwardly to stand. The chicken legs actually look pretty cool properly transformed, though that thin piece of plastic at the knee is worrisome. Overall a cool bot mode, but I wish he was G1 or IDW, not a mishmash of both.

I applied all the stickers and boy was that a waste of time. My advice to anyone getting Whirl: don't bother with anything other than the faction symbols.

I was hoping the helicopter mode would look better in person, but it really doesn't. It's gappy and the legs stand out all the more due to them being two different colors than the rest of the helicopter mode.

I was surprised to see they put a transformation step in just for gerwalk mode--when I first saw pics online I assumed it was just a "stop halfway" sort of thing, but nope, Hasbro actually went out of their way for it, so good on them.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 1, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have Rhinox and Whirl in my cart at HTS but I can't find anything else I want to get free shipping.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

I have Rhinox and Whirl in my cart at HTS but I can't find anything else I want to get free shipping.

The minicon team is pretty loving awesome, just got them today and they are an impressive feat of engineering. Three different combined forms, as well as having their own robot modes AND alt modes packed in such tiny frames, and they don't suck? It's baffling. They look great, the helicopter and jet robot modes are really nice, the tank robot mode's a bit of a brick, and I haven't yet combined them into the other two non-prepackaged combined form, but they look pretty neat too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

The minicon team is pretty loving awesome, just got them today and they are an impressive feat of engineering. Three different combined forms, as well as having their own robot modes AND alt modes packed in such tiny frames, and they don't suck? It's baffling. They look great, the helicopter and jet robot modes are really nice, the tank robot mode's a bit of a brick, and I haven't yet combined them into the other two non-prepackaged combined form, but they look pretty neat too.

Oh nice, I missed them when browsing. I was trying to hold out for Waspinator to come back into stock but I don't want to miss Rhinox or Whirl.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

Oh nice, I missed them when browsing. I was trying to hold out for Waspinator to come back into stock but I don't want to miss Rhinox or Whirl.

I have to apologize, I mistook it for being multi-combinable like the Ammonites are, but it seems it only has the one combined form. I managed to make a different combined form but it fell apart if you looked at it funny, it had the tank legs on top of the jet, and the helicopter plugged into the little slot on the back of the jet via the tailfin(barely works), it looks pretty neat too but doesn't hold together of course.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well now I'm hearing nothing but terrible things about Whirl so I put off the purchase. May just suck it up and pay the shipping.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Whirl isn't really that bad. People just think the legs are stupid in vehicle mode and he's not MTMTE Whirl.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He's crying out for a customisation with Sandstorm's VTOL rotors.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

He just seems *too* close to his G1 toy for me to be really interested. I have the G1 toy, it's pretty cool but I'm not in a hurry to buy it again.

The only reason people care about Whirl is because of MTMTE, just seems kind of silly to not base his design on that. Or at least, you know, update his design in some meaningful way like they did with Rhinox, Blitzwing, Springer, Sandstorm, Waspinator, Scoop, Cosmos, Skids, Swerve, or really any of the other character updates we've gotten recently.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

The only reason people care about Whirl is because of MTMTE, just seems kind of silly to not base his design on that.

Speak for yourself, I've always wanted a more articulated Dorvack Gazette, so Generations Whirl pushes all the right buttons for me.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

He just seems *too* close to his G1 toy for me to be really interested. I have the G1 toy, it's pretty cool but I'm not in a hurry to buy it again.

The only reason people care about Whirl is because of MTMTE, just seems kind of silly to not base his design on that. Or at least, you know, update his design in some meaningful way like they did with Rhinox, Blitzwing, Springer, Sandstorm, Waspinator, Scoop, Cosmos, Skids, Swerve, or really any of the other character updates we've gotten recently.

Yeah but his MTMTE design is pretty much thin spindley stick limbs. That and it would not match up to his vehicle mode at all and a voyager size would be pretty frail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

IDW Whirl wouldn't look out of place as a movieverse toy actually, he kinda reminds me of Blazemaster.