Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, The Unifying Force maybe isn't as good as Traitor, but I don't think it's that far behind. And the two books have very different things to accomplish, too - one was a very narrow character study/philosophical deconstruction, and the other wrapped up a 19 book storyline that ranged wildly. I'm not sure Stover would really have wanted that task, although I guess his ROTS novel was kind of similar in how it drew from a lot of the prequel material that came before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Timothy Zahn via Facebook posted:

It is with deep sadness that I note the passing of Aaron Allston.

Aaron was a wonderful author, a devastating punster, an erudite teacher, and -- most of all -- a wonderful friend. His humor in the midst of his pain and medical difficulties was an inspiration to everyone around him, and I will always remember the panels he and I (often with Mike Stackpole) did together. The Aaron, Mike, and Tim show, as we called it, has come to a sad close.

Rest in peace, Aaron.

Dammit. Got somethin' in my eye.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Aaron Allston passed away, apparently. :( Timothy Zahn posted about it on facebook, but I can't find anythign else about it. Wikipedia says that he had a heart attack back in 2009, so I guess his health wasn't that great.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

He had diabetes and heart problems. I met him at the very first con I ever went to, and we kept up an occasional correspondence through the years. Back in '07 after I had back surgery he commiserated with me on how much anesthesia sucked since he'd had eye surgery earlier that year, iirc.

He just tweeted yesterday about going to this con, too. This blows.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
He truly is a Wraith now

Lazarus Long
Dec 13, 2002
Now who will write the Porkins and Piggy team-up prequel adventure???

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

He was one of my favorite Star Wars writers. And even when I was starting to fall out of love with the Star Wars EU, Starfighters of Adumar made me think maybe I should stay a little while longer.

drat, between this and Harold Ramis, the world is a little less funny after this week.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He will be missed, for he was a man who could actually writing entertaining EU stuff :smith:.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

My exposure to Aaron comes from his work on the Mystara Gazetteer series for OD&D back in the late 80's. I've been following him ever since. Horrible loss. :(

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How spoiled will I be on the Thrawn Trilogy if I read some Yuuzhan Vong books when I was younger, so I know Mara married Luke, and the Solo twins, and all that? Will it detract from my enjoyment?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not really much, you will know that no harm will ever come to the Twins and Jade isn't going to kill anyone important to Luke or seriously harm him and of course things don't end well for the Remnant but nothing major. That sort of tension will be gone but go for it anyway.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How spoiled will I be on the Thrawn Trilogy if I read some Yuuzhan Vong books when I was younger, so I know Mara married Luke, and the Solo twins, and all that? Will it detract from my enjoyment?

Not especially spoiled. You know they eventually get together (in a later set of books than Thrawn trilogy) so that spoils a little bit because Thrawn trilogy is when they officially meet.

The true detraction from your enjoyment is to find out just how much the latter books squandered the potential of every character.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The ysalami's suck and are lame to read about and horrible to spell

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

api call girl posted:

Not especially spoiled. You know they eventually get together (in a later set of books than Thrawn trilogy) so that spoils a little bit because Thrawn trilogy is when they officially meet.

Didn't Zahn have them briefly meet in Allegiance but it "doesn't count" because they didn't learn each other's names or something like that? I'm not sure if that was it exactly but whatever it was, it stuck out in my head. Part of the reason why I think Allegiance is Zahn's weakest Star Wars book by far, and the only one I am actively bored by.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't Zahn have them briefly meet in Allegiance but it "doesn't count" because they didn't learn each other's names or something like that? I'm not sure if that was it exactly but whatever it was, it stuck out in my head. Part of the reason why I think Allegiance is Zahn's weakest Star Wars book by far, and the only one I am actively bored by.

Allegiance had Vader Googling Luke. Choices of One had her assisting Luke or something without him knowing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Hey now, nothing wrong with Allegiance. I like how the Allegiance characters go on to join the Empire of the Hand in Choices of One, but The Twist That Wasn't (re Ordos or whoever) is pretty much the worst moment in Zahn's Star Wars writing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the stormtrooper defectors in Allegiance, and I wish the plot had just focused entirely on them being the Space A-Team. But every time the focus shifted to a movie character/Mara, I completely lost interest. Choices of One was definitely better.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So, even with the minor spoils, still worth the read, right? And I should start with it, not X-Wing, even though that's first?

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
X-Wing comes first chronologically (At least up through Solo Command. Isard's Revenge is set immediately after.) but only really affects the choice of setting for the Zahn trilogy. Most of the movie characters save Wedge don't really figure heavily into the plot until Han gets in on the action in Solo Command.

Also, RIP Aaron Allston. I just started rereading Wraith Squadron the other day :(

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I like the stormtrooper defectors in Allegiance, and I wish the plot had just focused entirely on them being the Space A-Team. But every time the focus shifted to a movie character/Mara, I completely lost interest. Choices of One was definitely better.

I was still really enjoying the Mara bits where she was being a detective/spy. Apart from the Hand of Judgment parts, easily my favorite part of that book was Vader being a brat whenever he interacted with Mara.

The Main Three were pretty boring, though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RIP Allston

I suspect Zhan was ordered to include the main 3 in the Hand of Judgement books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sad news indeed about Allston. I enjoyed his X-Wing books, of course, and there was so much promise in that first LOTF book too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
No there wasn't. As soon as it began we Borsk'd a return to one of the most incompetent villains in the entirety of the EU, and that's before we got MYSTERY OUTSIDER casting Sith False Dichotomy Rank 13.

Mercy Kill was really good though, too bad we'll never get those characters back in the way that they deserve.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, yeah, maybe I wasn't being terribly objective.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'll say that I honestly do think Allston is kind of overrated, but I do cut him some slack for Betrayal. It wasn't like he was the one who decided Jacen had to go dark or that Lumiya would show up again, since those both came from Denning's outline for the series. And it's also not (mainly) his fault that a lot of the stuff he set up in Betrayal got ignored later on. And really compared to any other LOTF/FOTJ entry it's pretty good.

But on the other hand I fully hold him accountable for how bad his later LOTF/FOTJ stuff was.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
He probably just said gently caress it, but thats ok because so did I

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I'll say that I honestly do think Allston is kind of overrated, but I do cut him some slack for Betrayal. It wasn't like he was the one who decided Jacen had to go dark or that Lumiya would show up again, since those both came from Denning's outline for the series. And it's also not (mainly) his fault that a lot of the stuff he set up in Betrayal got ignored later on. And really compared to any other LOTF/FOTJ entry it's pretty good.

But on the other hand I fully hold him accountable for how bad his later LOTF/FOTJ stuff was.

When you think about how bad his later stuff is you really should consider that this is a man who had been stuck in an authorial partnership with Denning and Traviss for years. Imagine being a good author and having to deal with these people having equal creative control to you, and how many times you would say "no, that's dumb" and be shot down before you shut up and just wrote about Admiral Daala's affair with a dreamy Mando for a paycheck.

Allston really should have cowritten with the guy who did those M*A*S*H in space EU books, if anyone.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Was Star Wars: Rebellion (the game) any good? I've been playing the poo poo out of EU4 and really wanna play Grand Strategy Star Wars.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

Was Star Wars: Rebellion (the game) any good? I've been playing the poo poo out of EU4 and really wanna play Grand Strategy Star Wars.

It's an acquired taste, but it can be really good.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

StashAugustine posted:

It's an excellent blockade management simulator.

(I like it - partly from nostalgia, i admit - but it's a little simplistic in places and the battle AI is pretty braindead)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Last time I attempted it I thought I had a really good handle on the macro scale stuff, then a battle started and I had no idea what I was doing.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

gently caress, Aalston dying really blows. I didn't know about his health issues, but I loved his work and he'll always be one of the few I don't feel scared to recommend to a newcomer.

Odd coincidence, he was going to be at VisionCon this last weekend (Feb 28) and I was going to go just to meet him. Weather scared me off and I didn't end up going...but I found out about him being there the very day he died. That feels...weird, to me.

edit: Also I continued to plan to go and see him for 24 hours after he'd passed. I never thought I'd say this but I think I need to read the internet more

edit edit: HOLY poo poo. I was wrong. Wikipedia says he collapsed AT Visioncon, and died in my town later that day. The gently caress.

McGann fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 3, 2014

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
We just had a page long discussion about Rebellion in the Boston thread, of all places.

It's a really fun game I think that definitely has its quirks. I would say if you let the space battles auto resolve you'd be a lot better off.

Plus, you get to make death stars and blow up planets and pretty much every game you can do that in is preeeetty solid.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Conquistador posted:

We just had a page long discussion about Rebellion in the Boston thread, of all places.

It's a really fun game I think that definitely has its quirks. I would say if you let the space battles auto resolve you'd be a lot better off.

Plus, you get to make death stars and blow up planets and pretty much every game you can do that in is preeeetty solid.

Well as I said I'm coming into this from Paradox games which have no tactical combat and I'm cool with that.

On even more :spergin: Star Wars stuff, I'm toying around with homebrewing a Rebellion-era card-driven strategy game (a la Twilight Struggle.) Any major events during the Civil War I should remember? (I've basically only read the Zahn stuff from that era and played a little bit of Dark Forces.)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Rebellion is an awesome game except that the battle system is terrible. I always auto-resolve but the downside is that the auto-resolver will still give you random things like 1 TIE Fighter holds off an entire rebel fleet with multiple mon-cal cruisers and poo poo :downs:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

Well as I said I'm coming into this from Paradox games which have no tactical combat and I'm cool with that.

On even more :spergin: Star Wars stuff, I'm toying around with homebrewing a Rebellion-era card-driven strategy game (a la Twilight Struggle.) Any major events during the Civil War I should remember? (I've basically only read the Zahn stuff from that era and played a little bit of Dark Forces.)

I'd read the more recent Han Solo trilogy if you haven't, as that takes place in that era.

I think the period between EP3 and ANH is my favorite by far, especially in the 5-10 years pre ANH.

E: Clicking on my profile revealed that my 10,000th post was in the Star Wars thread :unsmith:

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 3, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Rebellion was a whole lot better when you explained what was happening instead of actually playing it (kinda like how EVE is).

Using spies and diplomats to convert systems to your cause, sending in ground troops to suppress unwarranted uprisings, and conducting counter-espionage is really cool in the general sense but it purely amounted to "send 'X' character or generic unit to location, await RNG result".

If the tactical battle screen didn't suck balls, it would've been really cool to command pincer movements and strategic stuff. But it just boiled down to who has bigger numbers and a generic counter system (frigates beat starfighters, capital ships beat frigates, star fighters can maybe beat capital ships).

I've never seen a game generate as many wacky stories as Rebellion. Like this one time I sent Luke in to capture the Emperor and he kept failing or getting injured. So I sent Ackbar in because he wasn't doing anything AND HE CAPTURED HIM :wtf:.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I would kill for a remake of rebellion with the Homeworld space combat engine. Or just a Star Wars Homeworld that isn't a mediocre mod. Or just any Homeworld really.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rebellion was made in the era of Star Wars where the force just sort of happened and wasn't some badly written blood condition.

Meaning a fuckload of the EU minor characters could become force sensitives and Jedi/Dark Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Rebellion was made in the era of Star Wars where the force just sort of happened and wasn't some badly written blood condition.

Meaning a fuckload of the EU minor characters could become force sensitives and Jedi/Dark Jedi.

I really think that among all the terrible things that the prequels did that midichlorians being the source of the Force was the worst.