Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
greetings from neck dive city

http://www.rondomusic.com/al-828bkfl.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

WhenBluesDadsGoBad.jpg

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

WhenBluesDadsGoBad.jpg

TeenDad

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Murder all teenagers by hitting them with a blonde telecaster

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
could be worse. could be a schecter

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think that thing's been at dgcl for like 4 years.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
http://www.rondomusic.com/SITAR2TS.html

:getin:

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

White Dog Eggs posted:

WhenBluesDadsGoBad.jpg

It's a Squier

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
All those years on the road, so many belt sanders along the way.......

Dec 26, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

They're actually Mogellons.

they better be using ZOG strings on that poo poo then

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Somehow I didn't notice it was an 8-string, doh. All the teenagers I see have a boner for stupid spiky poo poo/anything with EMG's though.

comes along bort posted:

could be worse. could be a schecter

Are the loading holes supposed to be like that? It looks sloppy and stupid and it makes my anus clench in rage.

Castor Poe posted:

It's a Squier

Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Faked relic'd tobacco-burst. Shameful.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Are the loading holes supposed to be like that? It looks sloppy and stupid and it makes my anus clench in rage.

probably. one of my guitars has a string-through hipshot bridge and the ferrules are staggered similarly

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

Sarcasm aside, Hardanger Fiddles are awesome and all look like that because Scandanavians and are only awful in the same way that all folk music is. Here's a man who's not afraid to live up to a stereotype playing one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di1F8GUvEtg

In other news I just played a strat into one of the new Marshall MG's and it sounded fantastic. I might have to buy a strat. Everything I knew is a lie. Technology has clearly moved on a bit in the last five years because for as long as I've played MGs have been the quintessential 'can full of bees' amp for scrub metal kids who couldn't afford a Peavey.

Marshalls are outclassed by pretty much everything else nowadays. They are still a scrub amp.

Dewgy posted:

god drat you pay how much for this shiny dragony fucker and if you change string gauge you're hosed because you didn't give them even more for a not poo poo bridge i guess???

also why does dr. beetlejuice/dr. bloody mary have so many six strings, like there's one bass in there, three acoustics; but out of 11 instruments 10 of them are essentially the same thing

somebody asks me why i have so many guitars and i'm like, six string, twelve string, les paul, baritone les paul, beater piece of poo poo, bass, toy guitar, etc; why would you drop that much money on buying the same thing over and over though?

and not get dragons on any of them???

The best bit is he has those JEMs, which are just an expensive RG. Same body wood, same neck profiles, everything. Only difference is the monkey grip (lol) and that they come with dimarzio pickups. And dimarzios are poo poo compared to something like a BKP. You're just paying for being able to pretend you're steve vai.

Stux fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 1, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
pure loving metal

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

he can wear his hat backwards because his brow does the job just fine

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

HollisBrown posted:

All those years on the road, so many belt sanders along the way.......

No matter how hard I try, I'll never understand why people pay large sums of money to have someone scratch their guitars with car keys and whatnot.

comes along bort posted:

pure loving metal

I'd jam with that guy.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

The best bit is he has those JEMs, which are just an expensive RG. Same body wood, same neck profiles, everything. Only difference is the monkey grip (lol) and that they come with dimarzio pickups. And dimarzios are poo poo compared to something like a BKP. You're just paying for being able to pretend you're steve vai.

Some folks like to collect Les Pauls. Some people like to collect Strats. I love Ibanezes.
They have two-octave necks, the scale length I like, great deep cutaways for easy access to the higher frets, tilt-back headstocks for improved string tension, and a few of them have the all-access neck heel which I particularly like. These features were a big deal when they came out, and that's just when I was learning to play. To be fair, I could do without the trems and trem-routs, because I stopped using vibrato arms a long time ago; but if you are gonna have one, the Lo-Pro Edge and nice deep rout are the way to go, especially if you install the hardware to lock them. It's really very nice to put a light vibrato on a pretty chord, too. People playing Strats do it all the time.

I promise you it has nothing to do with "pretending to be Steve Vai." JEMs were the high-prestige instrument from the beginning of the new line back then, and they are production models that don't say "Steve Vai" on them anywhere. I just fell in love with the whole RG line back in 1988 and that became my gold standard. Again, in much the same way there are a trillion Les Pauls and Strats out there with the only tiniest of differences (look in any Sweetwater or Musician's Friend catalog) and collectors who love them all. Collectors collect what they like to collect, it stands to reason.

Now, if you're gonna act like an expert, first do some research to learn the differences between the fretwire, neck depths, radii, and other differences in all those necks. You think they are the same because you don't know any better, I guess. E.G. an original "Wizard" neck (on the 770DX) is much thinner than any JEM neck, and a neither of them resemble the thicker USA Custom neck (with its bird's eye maple and volute.) The original JEM neck is one-piece quartersawn maple with a rosewood fretboard and no binding, but the new JEM7SFG neck is a five-piece, with wood binding, and a rounder radius. In this way, they each possess their own character in your hands.

With respect to electronics, about half of those pickups are Seymour Duncans: a bridge JB, a couple neck '59s, a bridge Custom Custom, etc. The DiMarzios are all selected for their tones and outputs depending on what I was into at the time: there's a FRED, a Humbucker from Hell, a matched set of Eric Johnsons (very low gain, very vintage tones), a True Velvet, a Blue Velvet (awesome, bright vintage middle pickups), a Crunch Lab and a neck Evolution, and the JEM single coils which have always sounded fantastic and are the only original electronics on any of the instruments. All of the guitars also have installed appropriate high-pass filter caps to keep them bright with the volume rolled down.

Thanks for reading. I truly do love those instruments and enjoy very much talking about them.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 1, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

Some folks like to collect Les Pauls. Some people like to collect Strats. I love Ibanezes.
They have two-octave necks, the scale length I like, great deep cutaways for easy access to the higher frets, tilt-back headstocks for improved string tension, and a few of them have the all-access neck heel which I particularly like. These features were a big deal when they came out, and that's just when I was learning to play. To be fair, I could do without the trems and trem-routs, because I stopped using vibrato arms a long time ago; but if you are gonna have one, the Lo-Pro Edge and nice deep rout are the way to go, especially if you install the hardware to lock them. It's really very nice to put a light vibrato on a pretty chord, too. People playing Strats do it all the time.

I promise you it has nothing to do with "pretending to be Steve Vai." JEMs were the high-prestige instrument from the beginning of the new line back then, and they are production models that don't say "Steve Vai" on them anywhere. I just fell in love with the whole RG line back in 1988 and that became my gold standard. Again, in much the same way there are a trillion Les Pauls and Strats out there with the only tiniest of differences (look in any Sweetwater or Musician's Friend catalog) and collectors who love them all. Collectors collect what they like to collect, it stands to reason.

Now, if you're gonna act like an expert, first do some research to learn the differences between the fretwire, neck depths, radii, and other differences in all those necks. You think they are the same because you don't know any better, I guess. E.G. an original "Wizard" neck (on the 70DX) is much thinner than any JEM neck, and a neither of them resemble the thicker USA Custom neck (with its bird's eye maple and volute.) The original JEM neck is one-piece quartersawn maple with a rosewood fretboard and no binding, but the new JEM7SFG neck is a five-piece, with wood binding, and a rounder radius. In this way, they each possess their own character in your hands.

With respect to electronics, about half of those pickups are Seymour Duncans: a bridge JB, a couple neck '59s, a bridge Custom Custom, etc. The DiMarzios are all selected for their tones and outputs depending on what I was into at the time: there's a FRED, a Humbucker from Hell, a matched set of Eric Johnsons (very low gain, very vintage tones), a True Velvet, a Blue Velvet (awesome, bright vintage middle pickups), a Crunch Lab and a neck Evolution, and the JEM single coils which have always sounded fantastic and are the only original electronics on any of the instruments. All of the guitars also have installed appropriate high-pass filter caps to keep them bright with the volume rolled down.

Thanks for reading. I truly do love those instruments and enjoy very much talking about them.

so the answer is "i like to make myself feel like an expert by buying lots of the same guitar with different necks and pickups" got it

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

so the answer is "i like to make myself feel like an expert by buying lots of the same guitar with different necks" got it
Incorrect: The answer is I collect guitars and those are the guitars I like to play the most, but I don't want them all exactly alike. I like to be able to accommodate different tones and styles while keeping the playing experience familiar.
As far as feeling like an expert, I've been playing 27 years; so I hope I've picked some expertise up along the way.

You haven't "got it," but I've responded to enough trolls today, so carry on without me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

Incorrect: The answer is I collect guitars and those are the guitars I like to play the most, but I don't want them all exactly alike. I like to be able to accommodate different tones and styles while keeping the playing experience familiar.
As far as feeling like an expert, I've been playing 27 years; so I hope I've picked some expertise up along the way.

You haven't "got it," but I've responded to enough trolls today, so carry on without me.

so like, do you have any self awareness at all or are you basically the dobson of guitar playing?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Has anyone bought an Edwards LP recently? Are they still really nice?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

*turns out the lights, looks into a mirror pickguard on a JEM*

FAUSTUS
FAUSTUS
FAUSTUS

OH GOD IT WORKED

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Is this guitar designed for some new, unheard-of type of dad?

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Gilgameshback posted:

Imma go with grand dad. Imma go with FolkGrandDad.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gilgameshback posted:

Ummm... Fleetwood Dad?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Are those nylon strings? Flamenco dad!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dirt posted:

Are those nylon strings? Flamenco dad!

classical dad

dental plan

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Now, if you're gonna act like an expert, first do some research to learn the differences between the fretwire, neck depths, radii, and other differences in all those necks. You think they are the same because you don't know any better, I guess. E.G. an original "Wizard" neck (on the 770DX) is much thinner than any JEM neck, and a neither of them resemble the thicker USA Custom neck (with its bird's eye maple and volute.) The original JEM neck is one-piece quartersawn maple with a rosewood fretboard and no binding, but the new JEM7SFG neck is a five-piece, with wood binding, and a rounder radius. In this way, they each possess their own character in your hands.

Well the neck differences are a bit more in-depth than you're making out. There are Wizard necks which match the JEM in every way, you just have to look for them. With the modularity of the RG series you can simply pick up such a neck, and drop it into one of the other RGs if thats really your bag. The differences in those that are different are negligible, such as a 1mm difference in thickness at the neck or similar, with the same radius, or 30mm smaller radius with the same thicknesses. It depends on the guitar however and there are standard/prestige RGs that match the JEM neck profile yet cost less. Ive played a large amount of RGs since, like you, they are my favourite guitars, and the differences in the different wizard/jem necks are really not so big as to base your entire purchasing decision on. Its not the same as, say, comparing the wizard series to a fender strat neck or even guitars that are more similar such as schecters or ESPs.

With regards to electronics, if you really knew/cared as much as you say, you wouldn't be using such shoddy pickups as seymour duncans or dimarzios when boutique hand wounds exist which can outdo the entirety of their line. BKPs are the ones that are in vogue right now and the ones I know the most about, and they have ranges which can outdo any of those you've mentioned wrt note definition in chords, output levels etc while having similar response patterns to attain the same tone. They even use original 50s specs and material choices for their vintage style pups unlike the mass produced drek from SD and DM, so if you are truly such a gear whore I don't see why you wouldn't be using them or a similar brand?

Also, can you explain why you said about this amp that you loved the glow of the tubes, when in fact they used LEDs for the colour as they don't actually glow red:

Last thing: Your comments regarding amp modelling and voltage/dsp errors is hilarious when you only have a POD HD which practically the worst modelling system available and is pathetic compared to something like an Axe FX or the software modellers.

Stux fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 1, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The glove has been dropped.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
lol @ faustus but also lol at stux

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Oh also no JEM has a one piece neck, they all use scarf joints to attach the headstock if they aren't one of the 3 or 5 piece necks, so aren't truly a "one piece".

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

Well the neck differences are a bit more in-depth than you're making out. There are Wizard necks which match the JEM in every way, you just have to look for them. With the modularity of the RG series you can simply pick up such a neck, and drop it into one of the other RGs if thats really your bag. The differences in those that are different are negligible, such as a 1mm difference in thickness at the neck or similar, with the same radius, or 30mm smaller radius with the same thicknesses. It depends on the guitar however and there are standard/prestige RGs that match the JEM neck profile yet cost less. Ive played a large amount of RGs since, like you, they are my favourite guitars, and the differences in the different wizard/jem necks are really not so big as to base your entire purchasing decision on. Its not the same as, say, comparing the wizard series to a fender strat neck or even guitars that are more similar such as schecters or ESPs.

With regards to electronics, if you really knew/cared as much as you say, you wouldn't be using such shoddy pickups as seymour duncans or dimarzios when boutique hand wounds exist which can outdo the entirety of their line. BKPs are the ones that are in vogue right now and the ones I know the most about, and they have ranges which can outdo any of those you've mentioned wrt note definition in chords, output levels etc while having similar response patterns to attain the same tone. They even use original 50s specs and material choices for their vintage style pups unlike the mass produced drek from SD and DM, so if you are truly such a gear whore I don't see why you wouldn't be using them or a similar brand?

Also, can you explain why you said about this amp that you loved the glow of the tubes, when in fact they used LEDs for the colour as they don't actually glow red:

Last thing: Your comments regarding amp modelling and voltage/dsp errors is hilarious when you only have a POD HD which practically the worst modelling system available and is pathetic compared to something like an Axe FX or the software modellers.

i enjoyed this post because you didn't just go "well if you knew anything about this, brand name brand name brand name brand name"

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Oh poo poo, it's on like Michelle Quan.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

Are the loading holes supposed to be like that? It looks sloppy and stupid and it makes my anus clench

Bort covered it, but yeah supposed to be like that. The huge strings need more room to intonate beyond the basic 6string range.

Edit: Didn't realize I was a page back :doh:

Edit2: caught up. :golfclap:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 1, 2014

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Stux posted:

:wow:

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Hmm but could the Luna Guitar Corporation also stencil this to my RV?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Stux posted:

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 1, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sockington posted:

Bort covered it, but yeah supposed to be like that. The huge strings need more room to intonate beyond the basic 6string range.

i drilled out the lowest ferrule on my 8 string to accommodate a bass string

it looks something like oooooo

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

Edit: Didn't realize I was a page back :doh:

Edit2: :golfclap:

That's a fair point, personally I would do it differently though, it just looks waaaaaaaaaay too sloppy to my eyes, keep it straight but drop the last two by 8mm or something. Not built an 8 string yet (thankfully).

e:

comes along bort posted:

i drilled out the lowest ferrule on my 8 string to accommodate a bass string

it looks something like oooooo

You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

well it's either that or have the ball end stick out. maybe if string manufacturers made .90+ gauge strings that'll fit a guitar longer than 26" scale with a reverse headstock i wouldn't have to resort to extreme meaures

but like a wise man once said you don't go to war with the army you want, you go to war with the army you have

• Locked thread