Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I just realized driving to work this morning that I live just a few miles from the Argonne National Laboratory, where J'tia works.

I'm very afraid now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Piell posted:

Yeah but J'tia was doing the puzzle in the worst possible way. She didn't start on an end, and her "strategy" consisted of dropping a piece onto a spot, and if it didn't immediately swap to another piece without even trying to turn the puzzle.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. It may have been editing but it seemed that she wasn't trying to rotate the pieces or the board at all. Book smarts and no spatial reasoning at all!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

sleepingbuddha posted:

I just realized driving to work this morning that I live just a few miles from the Argonne National Laboratory, where J'tia works.

I'm very afraid now.

You should probably get a Geiger counter... you know, just in case.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

sleepingbuddha posted:

I'm very afraid now.

I wonder if they sell fallout shelters on Craigslist.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

I wonder if they sell fallout shelters on Craigslist.

Just gather up some palm fronds and make your own #bombshack

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

blue squares posted:

Can I spy in it?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

blue squares posted:

:allears:

I don't know about anybody else, but I couldn't help but think of B-52's Love Shack whenever #spyshack came up.

Sign says (woo) "Stay away, fools"
'Cause spies rule at the Spy-y-y Shack!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Poque posted:

I got a phone call during the ep - can somebody explain what #spyshack was?

It's something you have to see for yourself. He so earnestly believes in it, and has crazy eyes when he's talking to the camera. It's insane and hilarious. He really thinks he's going to sit in this shack he made, with nobody noticing the shack or wondering where he is, and listen to people scheming right outside of his shack.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

And it's right in the middle of camp. Because when people scheme, they do it there, not in the jungle or by the ocean.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
That was a pretty decent premiere. Not one of the best ever to me, but J'tai and Garret's social game face-off was bonkers at least. I did kind of want Garret to stay though just because his weirdness is more original whereas the rice stuff no one even really got mad. The show will give them more food anyway, and they all knew it.

blue squares posted:

And it's right in the middle of camp. Because when people scheme, they do it there, not in the jungle or by the ocean.

Yeah it's literally on the back of the shelter. It's the best worst idea someone's had on Survivor in ages.

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 28, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Honestly, it gives Rupert's shelter a run for its money.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Vin diesel is making great television. I hope he isn't a fool who gets blindsided with idol in his pocket.

Nexal fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 28, 2014

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Spiky Ooze posted:

That was a pretty decent premiere. Not one of the best ever to me, but J'tai and Garret's social game face-off was bonkers at least. I did kind of want Garret to stay though just because his weirdness is more original whereas the rice stuff no one even really got mad. The show will give them more food anyway, and they all knew it.

In Probst's Q&A on EW.com he says they're not giving them more rice and given that it looks like it's about to start raining Samoa style they are pretty hosed. I think they only would intervene if people were keeling over. They probably only helped out after the Brandon Hantz thing because they knew it was their fault for putting him out there in the first place.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

blue squares posted:

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah it's literally on the back of the shelter. It's the best worst idea someone's had on Survivor in ages.

It would be a little easy to avoid if it was in the jungle or ocean. Plenty of scheming happens around the camp.

Didn't feel like watching through it again to find all the Morgan gifs, but I did get this one:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Unmerciful posted:

In Probst's Q&A on EW.com he says they're not giving them more rice and given that it looks like it's about to start raining Samoa style they are pretty hosed. I think they only would intervene if people were keeling over. They probably only helped out after the Brandon Hantz thing because they knew it was their fault for putting him out there in the first place.

Well, considering how every other 3 tribe season of Survivor has gone down. It's almost guaranteed to only be a few days before they do a tribe swap.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

The real question is this: they're not beauties, they certainly don't have brawn, and they haven't shown any brains...so what are they, really?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ghostpilot posted:

The real question is this: they're not beauties, they certainly don't have brawn, and they haven't shown any brains...so what are they, really?

Each tribe has about 3 people that would fit in that group and 3 people that look like they COULD fit in the group, but clearly don't actually have any of those attributes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Surprisingly, in Garrett's exit interview with Rob Cesternino he sounds like he knows the game. It's so different from the edit he got.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
On the show he said he wanted to play Survivor, but didn't want to do the survivory things like not eat and work all day.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Bigass Moth posted:

On the show he said he wanted to play Survivor, but didn't want to do the survivory things like not eat and work all day.

He should just go and play Big brother then but I guess that requires some reasonable thinking.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I got the impression that Tony's spy shack wasn't so much a separate 'building' as he was just making it impossible to see out of the side/back/corner of the shelter and he was going to crouch near the shelter and listen in. But I admit I wasn't paying as close attention as I should to that part.

I also want to see how Miss Cop is going to take it when Tony tells her he really is a cop. I think that lying to originally may be a huge mistake for Tony.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also shake my head in these shows when someone tells a pointless lie like that early in the game. Because its always these people deciding that whatever lie they're telling is hiding something that would be more damning than being caught in that unnecessary alive in a game about trust.

I'm glad Cliff didn't get caught up in that and just freely put it out there that he played some ball. Woo was obviously waiting for it since he recognized him and by not trying to hide it but also not boasting Cliff probably bought some respect from his tribe mates.

My three basic rules of this early game.
1) Don't get too deep in bed with someone you don't know because that can come back to bite you.
2) Don't tell unnecessary lies because they can come out and expose you later.
3) Don't carelessly piss people off by being rude, bossy, or lazy.

Someone fell to at least two of them in the premiere.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 28, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Binary Logic posted:

Surprisingly, in Garrett's exit interview with Rob Cesternino he sounds like he knows the game. It's so different from the edit he got.
Hah, I listened to that interview too, but got kind of a mixed impression. He said he had some detailed strategic thoughts and Rob invited him to share, and then he just let loose and started talking uninterrupted for like 20 minutes straight. Even when Rob said there were only 5 minutes left, and that he was gonna ask him lightning round questions, Rob only got to ask like 1 question because Garrett gave a very long, extensive answer to it. So, the content of Garrett's comments, and the strategic insight he had, actually did seem rather solid. But Garrett himself seemed kind of nuts.

Also at the beginning, Rob thanked him for coming on the show and having a "side conversation" with him and the joke seemed to go over Garrett's head, he didn't do a little chuckle or anything, he was just like, "Yeah, no problem."

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 28, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Bigass Moth posted:

It really was one of the whiniest moment's I've ever seen in Survivor. It wasn't 20 days into the game, he wasn't starving or tired, he just didn't like that the game wasn't entirely scheming and 'playing.'

All of those contestants who do something like 2000 hours of practice somehow never show up at camp with a solid plan to build a shelter or get a fire ASAP (though it looks like the Brains figured out a fire at some point off screen). I mean, yeah, puzzle skills are nice, but no one ever thinks to practice eating 400 calories a day and/or how to make everyone think you're their friend. The people who claim to have studied the 'social' elements of the game invariably have only studied how to manipulate or trick people and always draw unwanted attention to themselves.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Brains got fire from Tribal Council. Beauties started their own fire right away. I think Brawn might have got theirs from the comp.

But yeah, I don't know what kind of forewarning these players have that they've made Survivor or how long the process is but if I got even half way to being on a Survivor I'd just immerse every free hour I have in learning survival skills. Find some class or youtube channel that teaches you how to start fires, build shelters, fish, find and prepare food in the wild, ward off animals, whatever. It always blows my mind how few people can start fires. I'm sure its harder than it looks but on a tribe of 6 or 8 people how are there not at least half who busted their asses practicing and learning to start fires using whatever they found in their back yard? Whenever I see a Survivor start a fire right away I think "that guy/girl came prepared for this game."

Whenever I see a Survivor get on the beach and immediately start scheming and talking about who they can manipulate I just roll my eyes and prepare for an idiot who thinks they know everything but relies on the tribe to live. I'm looking at you, Brice, since David and Garrett are gone. You could at least have the courtesy of being crazy like Jersey Cop.

It's just weird because I doubt the really good "gamers" and "puppet masters" learned how to be that way by studying before the show. They're probably just people already adept at lying or reading people or manipulating people or whatever. But you can learn survival skills. If you don't got social skills by the time you try out for Survivor you might not be able to cram those in.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 28, 2014

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011
I was curious so I google searched her name and Argonne National Laboratory and found this interesting...

http://www.anl.gov/articles/j-tia-taylor

"I’m proud of the big science that’s going on here."

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Hah, I listened to that interview too, but got kind of a mixed impression. He said he had some detailed strategic thoughts and Rob invited him to share, and then he just let loose and started talking uninterrupted for like 20 minutes straight. Even when Rob said there were only 5 minutes left, and that he was gonna ask him lightning round questions, Rob only got to ask like 1 question because Garrett gave a very long, extensive answer to it. So, the content of Garrett's comments, and the strategic insight he had, actually did seem rather solid. But Garrett himself seemed kind of nuts.

Also at the beginning, Rob thanked him for coming on the show and having a "side conversation" with him and the joke seemed to go over Garrett's head, he didn't do a little chuckle or anything, he was just like, "Yeah, no problem."

Yeah he seemed more intent on talking at Rob than to/with him. That annoyed me quite a bit. Also, Rob did have a good joke there and it went right over his head.

nictigre03 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 28, 2014

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ror posted:

All of those contestants who do something like 2000 hours of practice somehow never show up at camp with a solid plan to build a shelter or get a fire ASAP (though it looks like the Brains figured out a fire at some point off screen). I mean, yeah, puzzle skills are nice, but no one ever thinks to practice eating 400 calories a day and/or how to make everyone think you're their friend.

STAC Goat posted:

But yeah, I don't know what kind of forewarning these players have that they've made Survivor or how long the process is but if I got even half way to being on a Survivor I'd just immerse every free hour I have in learning survival skills. Find some class or youtube channel that teaches you how to start fires, build shelters, fish, find and prepare food in the wild, ward off animals, whatever. It always blows my mind how few people can start fires. I'm sure its harder than it looks but on a tribe of 6 or 8 people how are there not at least half who busted their asses practicing and learning to start fires using whatever they found in their back yard? Whenever I see a Survivor start a fire right away I think "that guy/girl came prepared for this game."

This is one of the things that bug me about Survivor - its never about surviving. The water comes from a fiberglass 'well' you can order from an in-flight magazine. Fishing gear and such are mentioned but rarely if ever used. Fire is given away freely. Rice is provided for them. The game could be set on a studio backlot and lose nothing.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The whole "I came here to outwit and outplay, I didn't come here to survive outdoors", the deer in the headlights look he had the entire time, and the model poses he kept striking in interviews or everytime the camera was near is what made me REALLY irrationally hate him. Glad he's gone.

How do you put 2000 hours of prep into it and NOT realize you're living outdoors with minimal food/water? He showed up with about 5 percent body fat that was NOT going to sustain him for more than a couple days given his physique's caloric requirement.

Ror is right: how does anyone show up after how many seasons and NOT know how to build a fire, a basic camp, how to swim? On the outside looking in, the strategy is fairly simple:
1) Show up in shape, but not too bulky. Have some body fat, but be aerobically conditioned. Most challenges are endurance and speed based, but not strength based.
2) Be good in challenges, but not too good. Contribute, but don't be a star (or conversely, don't be the one that loses it).
3) Contribute to the camp, but don't take over.
4) Basically, don't stand out positive or negative.

It's like the scene in Oceans 11 where Rusty is prepping Linus: be funny, but don't make him laugh, make him like you but immediately forget you the minute you leave.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Ghostpilot posted:

I think it's just really hard to find nerds that have any... fortitude. You can't be all "ugh sunlight, I'm dying" or "wow are people judging me?" in a game like this. You have to be a brick wall with a decent fake personality that people like.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Spiky Ooze posted:

I think it's just really hard to find nerds that have any... fortitude. You can't be all "ugh sunlight, I'm dying" or "wow are people judging me?" in a game like this. You have to be a brick wall with a decent fake personality that people like.

I don't think this is the case. Go to a decent university, look at the doctoral students and pick people who seem relatively normal and likeable. You're essentially guaranteed to get a group of incredibly smart (and capable), but likeable people.

The reason we are seeing this "brain team" self-destruct, with members who are intelligent but have no street smarts etc is precisely because that's the story the producers wanted to tell. They deliberately picked people they thought would conform to stereotypes about intelligent people. It doesn't confirm the stereotypes, it's just selection bias.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Shakugan posted:

I don't think this is the case. Go to a decent university, look at the doctoral students and pick people who seem relatively normal and likeable. You're essentially guaranteed to get a group of incredibly smart (and capable), but likeable people.

How many of those people are willing to go on Survivor, though?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He was a law student, which is by definition insane, or at the very least poor decision making.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

IRQ posted:

He was a law student, which is by definition insane, or at the very least poor decision making.

In what sense? He was Harvard Law, right? I'm pretty sure that the prospects for law graduates of Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Stanford are exceedingly good. On average you could probably say that going to law school is indicative of poor decision making given how incredibly competitive and oversaturated the market is, but if you're a graduate of one of the four above programs you've pretty much got it made.

If you're talking about things other than compensation, well that's subjective I guess.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bbf2 posted:

How many of those people are willing to go on Survivor, though?

Yul, Sophie, John Fincher, Daveball, :swoon: Pete Yurkowski :swoon:. A lot of those people exist!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Shakugan posted:

The reason we are seeing this "brain team" self-destruct, with members who are intelligent but have no street smarts etc is precisely because that's the story the producers wanted to tell. They deliberately picked people they thought would conform to stereotypes about intelligent people. It doesn't confirm the stereotypes, it's just selection bias.

You basically said what I wanted to say. When someone mentions "brains" in relation to Survivor I think of Kim, Sophie, Yul, Earl, and a number of other winners that played really excellent games (Cochran is a cool dude, but I've mentioned before that I don't count people that need more than one try to win).

The brains the show has brought on is the same gimmick casting that leads to a show like "King of the Nerds" casting maybe 3 scientists/engineers, and then a Pokemon Youtube sensation*, an unemployed 28 year old woman with a degree in chemistry, and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk6c9cAaaIM)

*Fun fact: The Youtube Pokemon man was one of the more well-balanced people.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Met posted:

Didn't feel like watching through it again to find all the Morgan gifs, but I did get this one:

Here's a few gifs of Morgan:
http://gfycat.com/SelfreliantFairArabianwildcat
http://gfycat.com/QuickSeparateAfricanfisheagle
http://gfycat.com/ChillyConcreteDromaeosaur
http://gfycat.com/JealousReasonableDiscus
http://gfycat.com/OffbeatHiddenGrouper

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D97UtrHEZo&feature=share&t=2h5m10s
This is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
Looks like the spyshack mastermind is being proactive on Twitter. I don't follow him or anything and he found and replied to this tweet of mine:

• Locked thread