Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I am horribly addicted to BBC comedy panel shows. I need an intervention...

Well if shows like @Midnight continue to be successful you could get addicted to American comedy panel shows in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Now that I finally got around to watching all of House of Cards season 1, now I need season 2 in my veins immediately, everything else be damned.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Currently rewatching season 4 of 24. Can't wait for this show to return. Ridiculous action and dialogue that often crosses the line into hilarity? Sign me up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fateo McMurray posted:

Currently rewatching season 4 of 24. Can't wait for this show to return. Ridiculous action and dialogue that often crosses the line into hilarity? Sign me up.

I'm rewatching season 2 for the first time in a decade and I forgot about the trail of bodies Kim left in her wake. As bad as her storyline is, its somewhat redeemed by the fact that every person she comes across winds up either dead or mortally wounded.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 2 had a lot of blonde women that looked similar.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

And lots of cougars.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

That's racist.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I was flipping through channels and caught last night's Big Bang Theory. I don't watch this show that often, but I found that this episode was especially stupid.

I'm not really spoiling anything, but I'll put it in spoilers anyway. The group decides to buy a table because they're tired of one person always sitting on the ground. There is conflict because Sheldon doesn't wish to have anything in his house change, so he opposes the decision of getting a table. Leonard, with Penny's insistence, gets the table anyway, which just causes more meaningless conflict. At the end of the show, they all end up sitting and eating in front of the TV anyway, instead of using the table. And the last person, Raj, sits on the ground to eat his food, despite having eight viable chairs to use (which came with the table). In fact, they didn't even need to buy a table, they could have just bought an extra chair. I can't believe that out of six scientists, not a single person made this revelation.

Freaking BBT.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Did I miss the discussion about UK television? No? Good.

Watch Hollyoaks. All of you. You owe it yourself to watch an episode of Hollyoaks. You will never look at other TV shows the same way again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's mean.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

I was flipping through channels and caught last night's Big Bang Theory. I don't watch this show that often, but I found that this episode was especially stupid.

I'm not really spoiling anything, but I'll put it in spoilers anyway. The group decides to buy a table because they're tired of one person always sitting on the ground. There is conflict because Sheldon doesn't wish to have anything in his house change, so he opposes the decision of getting a table. Leonard, with Penny's insistence, gets the table anyway, which just causes more meaningless conflict. At the end of the show, they all end up sitting and eating in front of the TV anyway, instead of using the table. And the last person, Raj, sits on the ground to eat his food, despite having eight viable chairs to use (which came with the table). In fact, they didn't even need to buy a table, they could have just bought an extra chair. I can't believe that out of six scientists, not a single person made this revelation.

Freaking BBT.

Here, let me help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitcom

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was gonna say. You think its notable that a sitcom had a silly situation that escalated to a silly degree and then resolved itself in a silly way in 22 minutes?

You can feel free to hate sitcoms but The Big Bang Theory isn't responsible for the formula. And all the beloved sitcoms around here tend to fly by the exact same formula, just using different humor that the BBT critics enjoy more.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Well if shows like @Midnight continue to be successful you could get addicted to American comedy panel shows in the near future.

I really like @Midnight...Help me...

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really like @Midnight...Help me...

There's nothing wrong with that! It only took America like a zillion years to do it, but it finally has an honest to god panel show for comedians to go on and get exposure! This is a good thing!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mo0 posted:

There's nothing wrong with that! It only took America like a zillion years to do it, but it finally has an honest to god panel show for comedians to go on and get exposure! This is a good thing!

We used to have a ton of panel shows like The Newlywed Game and This is Your Life and even Hollywood Squares.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's mean.

Hollyoaks is a TV experience you will never forget :colbert:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

We used to have a ton of panel shows like The Newlywed Game and This is Your Life and even Hollywood Squares.

Newlywed Game doesn't count, that was more making fun of dumb people, but Hollywood Squares is close enough. The current definition of "panel show" encompasses games where there's not really a prize at the end outside of "Made people laugh", despite any sort of cursory game trappings there might be around it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

Freaking BBT.

In this guy's defence, it really was exceedingly bad last night (it's usually not so bad, okay? they figured it out better!). The episode is one of those awful ones where Sheldon acts like a total loving baby for a completely horrible reason but in the end gets his way because television (and because if they all sat at the table the blocking would be horrible from then on).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hollywood Squares (at least in my memory) missed the main point of panel shows: the game itself is pointless, it's just an excuse to have the comedians banter amongst themselves. By injecting 'normal' contestants, you ruin the whole thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Hollywood Squares (at least in my memory) missed the main point of panel shows: the game itself is pointless, it's just an excuse to have the comedians banter amongst themselves. By injecting 'normal' contestants, you ruin the whole thing.

It was barely barely a game at all. They'd have Paul Lynde say some funny thing and they'd all laugh and then he'd give a semiserious answer and the person would guess and that's it. The celebs were the attraction, not the game.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say. You think its notable that a sitcom had a silly situation that escalated to a silly degree and then resolved itself in a silly way in 22 minutes?

You can feel free to hate sitcoms but The Big Bang Theory isn't responsible for the formula. And all the beloved sitcoms around here tend to fly by the exact same formula, just using different humor that the BBT critics enjoy more.

New Girl is a sitcom. Seinfeld is a sitcom. Community and HIMYM are sitcoms. I don't think the sitcom formula is the problem.

I've seen better BBT episodes, so I chalked it up to just being one of bad episodes in a season. It happens to plenty of shows. But honestly, the writing for this episode was just terrible. It lacked direction, and for the most part was just filler. That's okay when a show is funny, but even the lesser mentally functioning studio audience was sparse in their laughter. This episode was bad.

I'm not saying BBT is bad, I agree there are some hilarious episodes. But in my opinion, this episode was bad. Watch it and decide for yourself.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

It was barely barely a game at all. They'd have Paul Lynde say some funny thing and they'd all laugh and then he'd give a semiserious answer and the person would guess and that's it. The celebs were the attraction, not the game.

Right, but my point is just that the contestant shouldn't be there to guess at all. You need to let the celebs interact directly, since they're the actual comedians.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ravane posted:

New Girl is a sitcom. Seinfeld is a sitcom. Community and HIMYM are sitcoms. I don't think the sitcom formula is the problem.

I've seen better BBT episodes, so I chalked it up to just being one of bad episodes in a season. It happens to plenty of shows. But honestly, the writing for this episode was just terrible. It lacked direction, and for the most part was just filler. That's okay when a show is funny, but even the lesser mentally functioning studio audience was sparse in their laughter. This episode was bad.

I'm not saying BBT is bad, I agree there are some hilarious episodes. But in my opinion, this episode was bad. Watch it and decide for yourself.

I am saying BBT is bad.

AND IT'S BAD BECAUSE IT'S NERD BLACKFACE!!!!

PittTheElder posted:

Right, but my point is just that the contestant shouldn't be there to guess at all. You need to let the celebs interact directly, since they're the actual comedians.

I wouldn't hold up HS as the apotheotical panel show but I'd say it's within the bounds.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ravane posted:

Oh, I didn't see it so I'm not defending the episode at all. In fact I haven't seen an episode of BBT in two years so I have no idea what its quality level is right now. But your criticism seemed less "that wasn't funny" and more of a criticism of the basic sitcom formula it utilized. And then punctuated with "Freaking BBT". So it just came off as the typical "BBT, three camera sitcoms, laugh tracks, sitcoms in general suck" thing to me. Sorry if I misread you and truly, if you tell me last night was a bad episode I'm not sticking up for it because I have no idea. I'm actually slowly doing a rewatch of the series and trying to catch up but I probably won't get there for a few weeks.

And honestly, a big reason I'm moving kind of slowly through it is because BBT is a super formulaic show that sometimes really bombs that formula. So it doesn't surprise me at all that they might have done it last night.

I'm a huge fan of New Girl and have enjoyed Seinfeld and Community a ton. But if you're telling me the majority of those show episodes aren't "silly premise escalates to a silly degree and then resolves itself in a silly way" I don't know if I just missed a season or something. But of course some do it better than others and some handle the stagnation differently.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 28, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

Oh in the grand scheme of things, yes, it was a bad episode of BBT, you just came off as parroting the standard "WAAHHH BBT SUUUUUUX" garbage that so many posters are fond of doing, and the crux of your complaint, in a vaccum, was that it followed the sitcom model. If you want to say it was bad relative to their normal quality, that's fair, so long as you acknowledge that BBT is in generally a very competent sitcom (again, the problem being that so few do, because Community or something [which was also relatively bad last night]).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

4/19/14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9FQ8Fa-2tA

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rarity posted:

Hollyoaks is a TV experience you will never forget :colbert:

I looked this up and it has Sinead O'Connor in it, I'm sold, now to find out how the gently caress to watch this from the US. Can I just jump in or is there a good recent point to try?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

STAC Goat posted:

I'm a huge fan of New Girl and have enjoyed Seinfeld and Community a ton. But if you're telling me the majority of those show episodes aren't "silly premise escalates to a silly degree and then resolves itself in a silly way" I don't know if I just missed a season or something. But of course some do it better than others and some handle the stagnation differently.

I'm not saying they're not formulaic, but I believe that there is a large difference between Big Bang Theory and various other sitcoms. Where New Girl, for example, develops a situation like being invited to Prince's House and making a comedic scene through each character's reaction to said situation, BBT instead relies on its quirky characters as the base of the jokes and structures a comedic situation in regard to that.

In some ways, the ingenuity is lost in BBT's layout because every episode is inevitably the same tropes repeated every single episode and the only way they can change that is by changing the characters themselves. Which they do, there's no doubt that the characters haven't grown, however in doing so, they've also lost some of the quirkiness that made them funny. They've made some great episodes, but they just have nowhere to go anymore. The characters at the very end weren't malleable and the jokes simply relied on them being nerdy.

Seinfeld is a great example of this done properly. Seinfeld has a set of characters who have defined character traits, however, those character traits aren't what makes them funny. What makes them funny is how those characters interact in the environment around them. If the situation is something that causes George to be stressed, he's going to react how he normally reacts when he's stressed (ie complaining to Jerry). But each conversation is brand new and completely separate from past instances. Thus you get things like:

quote:

George: Jerry, what gives you pleasure?
Jerry: Listening to you. I come in here, I listen to you, I feel better. Your misery is my pleasure.

Whereas in BBT you get a very repetitive:

quote:

Raj: Man, I can't wait to put these smooth charms on a woman.
*A beautiful woman comes by*
Raj: ... (shuts up because he can't talk to women)

Bear in mind, we had five seasons of that. This latest BBT episode was just another version of this stylistic joke taken to an extreme level.

I say "freaking BBT" because in eight seasons, they still haven't broken free from this. And that's why the characters will never have the same complexity as characters in any other sitcom. Ultimately, it just leads to the same jokes we've seen thousands of times over the course of the show. They will forever be the same "nerds" making the same snarky side-comments and tipping their hypothetical fedoras the same way every episode. Sure they make funny jokes at times, but it can also make for some pretty bad television.

IRQ posted:

If you want to say it was bad relative to their normal quality, that's fair, so long as you acknowledge that BBT is in generally a very competent sitcom (again, the problem being that so few do, because Community or something [which was also relatively bad last night]).

I apologize if I came off as obnoxious. It has great episodes and indeed has made me laugh many times. But I wouldn't say it was a competent sitcom in regards to Community or New Girl. It's competent, but there are definitely better ones out there.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 1, 2014

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I looked this up and it has Sinead O'Connor in it, I'm sold, now to find out how the gently caress to watch this from the US. Can I just jump in or is there a good recent point to try?

Don't loving watch Hollyoaks for the love of god. Do literally anything else but watch a single episode of any British soap because it's never worth it, even ironically.

It actually depresses me how little TV I watch from my homeland of the UK. Like seriously, everything I watch now is American or some Scandinavian drama since the sheer variety and quality is utterly superior. The only show I watch from the UK when it's on is something like Only Connect because everything else is utter, utter poo poo or I lost interest in a long time ago (stuff like QI, Sherlock etc). Maybe I'm not looking hard enough anymore but any time I catch something on British TV nowadays it almost always makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Bret Easton Ellis and Rob Zombie making a Manson Family series

quote:

Writer Bret Easton Ellis and director Rob Zombie have teamed with Alcon Television to develop a project for Fox that will revisit the people and events connected to the Manson Family murder spree in August 1969.

The project is envisioned as a limited series, but it is in the very early stages of development with Fox. Ellis is set to write the script and some additional materials. Zombie is on board to direct.

Well I'm excited about that, it certainly sounds promising but I'm not sure how they'll be able to it on Fox with all the violence that Easton Ellis and Zombie are sure to write in.

Fox moving away from pilot season could lead to some great changes in the television landscape, too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Twee as gently caress posted:

Bret Easton Ellis and Rob Zombie making a Manson Family series

Well I'm excited about that, it certainly sounds promising but I'm not sure how they'll be able to it on Fox with all the violence that Easton Ellis and Zombie are sure to write in.

Fox moving away from pilot season could lead to some great changes in the television landscape, too.

Well, we can officially be loving pissed if Almost Human gets canceled now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lugaloco posted:

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough anymore but any time I catch something on British TV nowadays it almost always makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Utopia's coming back soon and Rose Leslie's in it this time :unsmith:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PittTheElder posted:

Though perhaps things will change, as more American TV seems to become just awful

How do you manage the post the wrongest thing in a thread where Irish Joe regularly posts?

zoux posted:

I am saying BBT is bad.

AND IT'S BAD BECAUSE IT'S NERD BLACKFACE!!!!

I am saying BBT is bad because it's not funny.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Oh my god tonight's second season premiere of Hannibal. Not only is the acting amazing, but the photography and sound are loving sublime. Just... ohmygod. If there's someone holding out on seeing it, get season one then watch this one too because please, I asked nicely.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

raditts posted:

How do you manage the post the wrongest thing in a thread where Irish Joe regularly posts?

I'm pretty bad at stuff I guess. It's just sort of how I feel; I imagine a lot of it is because I mostly just watch comedies, and there's not much new that I've heard of that's any good. Always Sunny, Parks, Community and Archer can't last forever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah with comedy I don't think there's that much out there. I only watch The League and Parks. With drama though there's way too much and I can't keep up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Indeed, I've watched all of the League, but I don't care at all about fantasy football, and the last season seemed kinda mediocre.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
On a whim, I thought I would check out this Hemlock Grove show on Netflix. I made it about 15 or 20 minutes into the first episode and had to turn it off.

Is this a show that was made bad on purpose? It says it was Emmy-nominated. Do the Emmys have a category for "Most Pointless Series" or "Worst Attempt at Copying David Lynch" or something? I just can't wrap my head around what I was watching.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

On a whim, I thought I would check out this Hemlock Grove show on Netflix. I made it about 15 or 20 minutes into the first episode and had to turn it off.

Is this a show that was made bad on purpose? It says it was Emmy-nominated. Do the Emmys have a category for "Most Pointless Series" or "Worst Attempt at Copying David Lynch" or something? I just can't wrap my head around what I was watching.

Yeah, but was the theme song good?

Wikipedia posted:

Hemlock Grove received two nominations for Outstanding Main Title Theme Music and Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Special Visual Effects at the 65th Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I've been watching Looking and this show is really good. Give it to the second episode to pick up some steam maybe, by the time you hit the fifth it's pretty amazing. A super real, grounded show that is also pretty affecting. Plus, Scott Bakula is in it!

• Locked thread