Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Why the gently caress is Wonderful 101 still $60 to download, when literally every shop dropped the price to $30???

People were saying the same thing about the XBox and Playstation stores a few years ago, Nintendo will catch on. Eventually. Perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's pretty rare for online sales from Nintendo or Microsoft to match up with reality, as well as anything Call-of-Duty related. You can get any Call of Duty game other than BO2 or Ghosts secondhand for $15 max but they are largely still $50 on the various digital stores.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Why the gently caress is Wonderful 101 still $60 to download, when literally every shop dropped the price to $30???

Mario Kart DS usually retails for at least $39 pretty much everywhere. The game is over eight years old.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Wii U eShop announcement: Affordable Space Adventures!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3HLYTpnKv0

Collaboration between Nifflas (Knytt Stories) and Knapnok (Spin The Bottles), looks kinda like OG Steel Diver meets Knytt.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Look at all that delicious atmosphere. Nifflas is loving brilliant at making pretty worlds with just the bare minimum of resources and the trailer has that in spades. Colour me psyched.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hungry Bit posted:

Mario Kart DS usually retails for at least $39 pretty much everywhere. The game is over eight years old.

That's a physical copy though. The physical copies of W101 dropped in price but the digital didn't.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Two more GBA VC titles have been rated, Pac-Man Collection and Super Mario Ball/Mario Pinball Land.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That's a physical copy though. The physical copies of W101 dropped in price but the digital didn't.

Console marketplaces work like that.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Healbot posted:

Console marketplaces work like that.

Hell, 48 weeks a year, Steam works like that as well.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Katana Gomai posted:

Hell, 48 weeks a year, Steam works like that as well.

Steam prices take permanent drops all the time, I don't know what you're talking about. Digital stores that sell at the RRP ever, never mind 6 months after launch are just ridiculous. I see PSN selling games for 59.99 on release but go to even the worst brick and mortar and you'll see a physical copy for cheaper. Nintendo's not much better except for the saving grace that their first party retail games literally never drop in price anywhere (why?)

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Nintendo's not much better except for the saving grace that their first party retail games literally never drop in price anywhere (why?)
People keep buying them. Seriously, look at the lifetime figures for things like Mario kart - those kind of figures aren't just from one weekend. Or something like nintendogs for the 3ds which has sold over 3 million I think despite the 3ds being dead in the water at first. Their big games sell consistently well over a long period of time so there's no reason to drop the price.

Obviously none of this relates to the WiiU right now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, my local Wal-mart still has Mario 64 DS for I think $30.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Nintendo's not much better except for the saving grace that their first party retail games literally never drop in price anywhere (why?)

Old Pokemon games go for above MSRP just for the card. Admittedly this is an edge case, given the interaction between titles, but most companies couldn't stoner-dream about that sort of thing.

Even really old hardware is subject to nostalgia-based inflation.

There's really no compelling reason for Nintendo to drop prices on first party titles, to the point where doing so is seen as Nintendo losing confidence in them. Hardware is an entirely different story, but then it always was.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well if its a flop, like Wonderful 101 our Metroid The Other M then there is an incentive to drop the price.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
It just means I never buy first party games first hand because I am a tight arsed bastard :shobon: But yeah it's clearly a model that works for them, just I see it as odd when you compare it to literally every other game company.

The new ace attorney game that's coming out - do I need to have played/cared about the Layton games to get into it? I never liked Layton.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Holy crap, I forgot Mario Pinball was ever a thing!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Canned Panda posted:

Holy crap, I forgot Mario Pinball was ever a thing!

You should forget again because that game is a piece of poo poo, to put it mildly.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I want a new Pokemon pinball so bad. Pinball with a collectathon aspect is about the only way I'll play it nowadays.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It just means I never buy first party games first hand because I am a tight arsed bastard :shobon: But yeah it's clearly a model that works for them, just I see it as odd when you compare it to literally every other game company.

The new ace attorney game that's coming out - do I need to have played/cared about the Layton games to get into it? I never liked Layton.

Depends on what you don't like about Layton. The story is probably not going to tie in much to the previous games in either series. But there is going to be at least as much Layton style puzzle gameplay as there is AA court stuff.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Regy Rusty posted:

Depends on what you don't like about Layton. The story is probably not going to tie in much to the previous games in either series. But there is going to be at least as much Layton style puzzle gameplay as there is AA court stuff.

Some of the puzzles were okay, but mostly I didn't like how there was 20 minutes of filler between each puzzle. The cutscenes and story proper of the first Layton game was decent enough, though.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Random question, are the codes from the Zelda oracle games interchangeable between virtual console and gbc? I haven't played these games in a really long time and was probably going to partner up with someone who only has the gbc versions.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Yeah there just a Metroid styled password screen. I'm 80% sure it's a direct port.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yeah there just a Metroid styled password screen. I'm 80% sure it's a direct port.

Its a direct port with modifications made to remove Blue Snake's dialog and disable the link cable option on the menu for the game transfer.

Basically anything relating to the Link Cable or Transfer Pak in the case of the Mario Sports games were completely dummied out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Basically anything relating to the Link Cable or Transfer Pak in the case of the Mario Sports games were completely dummied out.

Actually, I dunno how that is for the GBC VC games, but the N64 Mario Tennis on Wii VC still has all GBC-Link content in it, easily accessible by modifying your save file.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Actually, I dunno how that is for the GBC VC games, but the N64 Mario Tennis on Wii VC still has all GBC-Link content in it, easily accessible by modifying your save file.

That's true, but they dummied out the Ring Tournament mode (probably because you need codes to use it and they are only easily found on GameFAQs.) yet they left the icon for it there, it just skips over it. The coding for it is probably still there but just commented out.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Any idea if NA is getting these?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's some sort of pseudo-holiday in Germany today, so NOE's PR people seem to have taken the day off. Oh well.

I can tell you that Picross e4 will be out in both regions in late April, so sayeth the developer.

Gray Matter posted:

They definitely will, but don't expect a timeframe for a release in any region.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

I loving hope not. Where the gently caress is my Ninja Five-O. Although it is pretty funny that the wiiu isn't getting the Pacman Museum or Pinball Arcade, but gets these two lovely games instead.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Those games have no bearing on Ninja 5-0, that's all on Konami.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Renegade (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New Super Luigi U (NSMBU DLC) - €14.99 / £13.49 from March 6-13
    Super Mario Bros (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 from March 6-13
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - €39.99 / £31.99 until March 13
    Knytt Underground (Wii U eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 until March 6
    TMNT Racers (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until March 6
    Trine 2; Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop)- €6.79 / £53.49 unil March 13

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures - €34.99 / £28.99
    Life with Horses 3D - €29.99 / £24.99
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns - €19.99 / £17.99 (permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP
    Tappingo - €2.99 / £2.49
    Vacation Adventures: Park Ranger - €4.99 / £4.49
    Jewel Quest Mysteries 3 - The Seventh Gate - €11.99 / £10.79
DSiWARE
    Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. (3DS) - €31.99 / £27.99 from March 6-13
    Super Mario Bros (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 from March 6-13
    Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 from March 6-13
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (3DS) - €22.49 / £19.99 until March 6
    BIT.TRIP Saga (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Heavy Fire: Black Arms 3D (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until March 6
    Heavy Fire: Special Operations 3D (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until March 6
    Bird Mania 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 6
    Crazy Chicken: Director's Cut 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 6
    Robot Rescue 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 6
    Girls' Fashion Shoot (3DS) - €14.99 / £14.99 until March 6
    Hakouki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS) - €16.99 / £14.99 until March 6
    Jewel Master Cradle of Egypt 2 (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Jewel Master Cradle of Rome 2 (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Shifting World (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Super Black Bass 3D (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until March 6
    Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - €12.49 / £9.99 until March 6
    Darts Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 12

(some other shovelware is on sale but it's the same crap I end up listing every other week, I quit)

A bunch of Luigi-themed games going on sale this week: Dream Team Bros. on 3DS, SMB on Wii U/3DS and the Luigi U DLC for NSMBU.

Also going on sale: Denpa Men 2! The devs tend to do sales in anticipation of an announcement/release, so I guess we'll be hearing about Denpa Men 3 soon.

Tappingo is supposed to be kinda okay, I think? Any NA dudes wanna chime in?

Not only is Puzzle Quest roughly seven years late, it's a loving DSiWare game. Why even bother?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I wonder if the shovelware stuff on the eShop sells well for the publishers. Some of it just looks so terrible.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The Machine posted:

I wonder if the shovelware stuff on the eShop sells well for the publishers. Some of it just looks so terrible.

I'm not sure anything sells particularly well on the eShop, but I'm sure they sell enough to recoup their meager development costs.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Not only is Puzzle Quest roughly seven years late, it's a loving DSiWare game. Why even bother?

Because it's loving fantastic is why

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

StevenM posted:

Because it's loving fantastic is why

Everyone knows because they already played it half a decade ago.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

The Machine posted:

Robot Rescue 3D is uhhhh okay I guess.

Should I be buying Denpa 2?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Xik posted:

Everyone knows because they already played it half a decade ago.

This applies to DS and GBA games as well. :haw:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo UK (and presumably PAL-land in general) is doing a Mario Kart 8 eShop/VC promotion:

quote:

Meanwhile, for fans wishing to keep their kart tyres warm and reactions sharp before 30th May, the Super Nintendo classic Super Mario Kart* will release on Nintendo eShop** as a Wii U Virtual Console title on 27th March. As part of a promotion to celebrate both this legendary title and Mario Kart 8, fans who purchase Super Mario Kart until June 30th 2014 can get a discount of £5.49 on Mario Kart 8 if they purchase it on Nintendo eShop from the release of the game until June 30th, 2014, providing the purchase takes place on the same Wii U console.

The PR confirms it's the 60HZ version, too.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo UK (and presumably PAL-land in general) is doing a Mario Kart 8 eShop/VC promotion:

The PR confirms it's the 60HZ version, too.

Major downside to this is that you can't get the physical special edition with the blue shell model! :fap:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 6):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Renegade (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New Super Luigi U (NSMBU DLC) - €14.99 / £13.49 until March 13
    Super Mario Bros (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until March 13
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - €39.99 / £31.99 until March 13
    Trine 2; Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop)- €6.79 / £53.49 unil March 13

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures - €34.99 / £28.99
    Life with Horses 3D - €29.99 / £24.99
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns - €19.99 / £17.99 (permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP
    Tappingo - €2.99 / £2.49
    Vacation Adventures: Park Ranger - €4.99 / £4.49
    Jewel Quest Mysteries 3 - The Seventh Gate - €11.99 / £10.79
DSiWARE
    Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. (3DS) - €31.99 / £27.99 until March 13
    Super Mario Bros (3DS VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 until March 13
    Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until March 13
    Darts Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until March 12

NA update (week of March 6):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    BLOK DROP U - $1.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    NES Open Tournament Golf (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    BIT.TRIP Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 from March 10-17
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - $7.99 until March 13

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Mysterious Cities of Gold: Secret Paths - $14.99
    Vacation Adventures: Park Ranger - $7.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Adventure Island 2 (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Beyblade Evolution (3DS) - $19.95 until March 13
    Girls' Fashion Shoot 3D (3DS) - $14.95 until March 13
    Jewel Master: Cradle of Rome 2 (3DS) - $9.95 until March 13
    Super Black Bass 3D (3DS) - $9.95 until March 13

CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Art Style: Pictobits (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until March 9
    Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until March 9
    Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until March 9
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Wii VC) - 200 Coins, available until March 9

As always NOA is hopeless about listing sales/discounts, so if you notice anything that I haven't listed, let us know! (I suspect Denpa Men 2 is probably on sale in NA, too, for example.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I haven't played 2, but Adventure Island was an okay if bland side-scroller.