Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

I secretly wish I could murder people who come up to me in the bar during games and start talking to me about why the Giants player they drafted on their fantasy team isn't performing well that day.

Well they're obviously idiots if they draft any Giant for their fantasy team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

computer parts posted:

Me and my sister went to a Buffalo Wild Wings once and she compared to the descriptions from Brave New World where they have lots of video screens designed to make people stop thinking as much.

Think that's a valid parallel, though it has the absolute opposite effect on me with the over-stimulation. I'm a lot happier listening to George Blaha call the game over the radio while I'm raking the lawn or working around the house. Tried explaining this once and I got looked at like I've got five eyes and purple skin.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I went to Buffalo Wild Wings last night and pooped from 3AM to 7AM this morning

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

When I was 12/13 I rooted for the Broncos because we had just moved to Missouri and the Panthers were still relatively new. My buddy rooted for them so I figured I would too. I even had a blue and orange tracksuit.

I now despise him, the Broncos, and would love nothing more than to watch KC trounce Denver. Always and forever. Also the Panthers should win the NFC.

e: And I live in the heart of Packer country, which has made me hate the Packers. There are literally signs on churches that say "Pray for Aarons Shoulder" and "If Aaron is starting, service ends at 10:30."

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I was a Cowboys fan until age 12, when we moved to Omaha and started going to Chiefs games.

I thought that drafting Blackledge and hiring Mackovic in '83 were good moves.

I haven't been to a regular season Chiefs game since '86, nor a preseason game since '95.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't know if this is a skeleton really, but I prefer TV to the live experience of a game, especially for the NFL.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Now I don't feel so bad.

Was a Dallas Cowboys fan until the age of 12. They were on their Superbowl run and pretty much my dad and brother were both Cowboys fan, so i rooted for them since I didn't know any better.

Now I'm a giants fan. And I have also packed up all my Miami Hurricanes gear and going to give it to good will. Yes, I'm a terrible football fan.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BigBoss posted:

I don't know if this is a skeleton really, but I prefer TV to the live experience of a game, especially for the NFL.

I'm of the same mind if I want to watch the game. The experience of seeing it in person is fun but it's crappy for watching the game. Even with really good seats you're only seeing half the action and usually on an angle. Now if I could walk down to the sidelines that would be a different story.

If I'm seeing a game in person I almost always choose the nosebleeds. You get an All 22 view, the seats are cheap, and you can easily chug your hip flask that you snuck in all game without worrying about an usher walking by.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Doltos posted:

I'm of the same mind if I want to watch the game. The experience of seeing it in person is fun but it's crappy for watching the game. Even with really good seats you're only seeing half the action and usually on an angle. Now if I could walk down to the sidelines that would be a different story.

If I'm seeing a game in person I almost always choose the nosebleeds. You get an All 22 view, the seats are cheap, and you can easily chug your hip flask that you snuck in all game without worrying about an usher walking by.

Meh, I hate dealing with idiots and lowlifes that go to both NFL and NCAA football games.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Boo This Man posted:

Meh, I hate dealing with idiots and lowlifes that go to both NFL and NCAA football games.

idiots and lowlifes are the best

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I think Starter jackets are ugly and always have

When I was a kid there was a game where the Oilers were playing the Packers and I wrote a bunch of dumb signs like "Send the Packers packing!" and taped them to the wall around the TV while I watched the game (the Oilers lost)

e: It was this game http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199212130oti.htm

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Baelish
Feb 8, 2013
I thought that Mark Sanchez was the best quarterback in his draft, and that he was really going to be something special in the NFL. He turned into something special, alright.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Intruder posted:

When I was a kid there was a game where the Oilers were playing the Packers and I wrote a bunch of dumb signs like "Send the Packers packing!" and taped them to the wall around the TV while I watched the game (the Oilers lost)
That owns

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

I willingly attended The University of Notre Dame.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Baelish posted:

I thought that Mark Sanchez was the best quarterback in his draft, and that he was really going to be something special in the NFL. He turned into something special, alright.

He's probably the second best, you can hang your hat on that. Holy poo poo what a bad QB class.

Xacto Wife
Aug 19, 2005

I should be somewhere erasing indigenous people, not fetching super vagina.
I still wear my old Emmitt Smith jersey on gameday, even though I've lived in South Florida for over a decade. gently caress the Fins, America's Team 4 Lyfe.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I was all in on Jimmy Clausen during the draft. It must have been weeks at work I'd be talking about Clausen and how underrated he was as a QB and how he was just as good, if not better than Sam Bradford. I didn't think he would make it to Buffalo at #9, but I hope beyond hope the Bills would have a stab at him.

So, draft comes and he's of course available at 9. The pick came in: C.J. Spiller. I was pissed. Buffalo pissed its chance to get a franchise QB away down its leg, and all for a toy like Spiller.

SOMEHOW, this superstar QB in the making didn't get picked the first evening. The next day at work, I shook a Vikings fan co-worker's hand and told him how lucky he was to have Clausen fall to him in the second round. Then, obviously, Minnesota passed and Buffalo passed AGAIN and I pretty well gave up.

I'm really lucky everyone at the office forgot about my brief bout of Clausenmania.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I aired out most of my football skeletons in my avatar.

I did think that Pickles might be good and that Chris Leak was gonna set the NFL on fire. Guess I should never ever talk about evaluating quarterbacks.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Intruder posted:

e: It was this game http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199212130oti.htm

I did this for the Falcons-Broncos Super Bowl. I had torn them down in tearful anger by the second quarter.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm a ridiculous Philadelphia fan, but I'm also Tony Romo's biggest apologist and have been hoping for him to get traded to the Eagles for years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When I was a kid I rooted for Michigan (when they weren't playing MSU). I really started hating them after the Braylon Edwards nightmare game, thanks both to the way State lost and my incredibly obnoxious Michigan fan neighbor who never stopped giving me poo poo about being a State fan and tried to convert other neighborhood kids to primary Michigan fandom. Now I spend a little bit of my brainpower each fall wishing for Michigan to fail.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
I am a Ohio State fan.

I'm so sorry.
:negative:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Looking back, I think that JP Losman was much better than Trent Edwards, and that he might have even worked out for the Bills with non-lovely coaches, decent receivers, and a competent line :v:

At least that's what I tell myself until I remember the time he literally fumbled away that game against the Favre-Jets.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
I got in to college football through the Pete Carroll USC teams and still check in on the Trojans sometimes.

In fairness, it's mostly because my dad went there for undergrad, and then lead to me seeing two Orange Bowls and a Rose Bowl in person.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Doltos posted:

I've been to something like 25 college football games. Twenty of them I was between the 35 and 45 and out of that...like...17 of them I was less than five rows off the field.

Live games have no fun when I'm not heckling players and having them hear me, hearing and seeing everything going on around the bench, and getting just covered in dirt from the field.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Basil Hayden posted:

I got in to college football through the Pete Carroll USC teams and still check in on the Trojans sometimes.

In fairness, it's mostly because my dad went there for undergrad, and then lead to me seeing two Orange Bowls and a Rose Bowl in person.

In that tone, I was crazy happy when App State beat Michigan. Both parents are alumni and I was born by the campus. I've actually met one of their holocaust lit professors who lived through a camp. Also #freearmanti.

Knight7
Oct 22, 2007
I am an Aggie, Bronco fan, and lurker. I thoroughly enjoy the humor/insight here, visit regularly, and do not contribute.

Also I used the forum to win an Eliminator challenge at work.

Knight7 fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 28, 2014

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I'm European, live in a European country. I picked up the love for the game, when I lived in the US for an extended period.
I have one other colleague who loves American Football. I'm a Packers fan, he's a Bears fan.
I only actively follow Packers news, and for the rest I read TFF.

I just repeat one-liners I read here to my colleague. He thinks I have some sort of encyclopedic knowledge of the game, while half the time I know nothing else about the player/coach I am talking about :(.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I unironically enjoy Jon Gruden on TV. I don't know why. He's like the Brett Favre of the TV guys. He seems just to be the happiest person on the planet because he's just watchin' those boys sling the old pigskin around.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I'm a fan of the Eagles (but not when I lived there, I was a "rebellious" teenager :v:), Packers, and seahawks

everyone hates me apparently

it isnt my fault I moved to seattle when the seahawks started doing well... my dad is from green bay and im from philadelphia so I have excuses, but drat.

Also I'm related to the McCaskeys (and George Halas) and my family loaned money to the bears in the early years when they were struggling financially. I see them at family reunions, get free tickets to a preseason game where I can sit in the owners box or front row of the club level section (I pick club level). I have seen a lot of videos from the early bears times where the players are running around in shorts before getting on a train to go play the Packers. I still root for the Packers.

I am a bad sports fan.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I have a lot of opportunities to go to Packer games and I actively try to get out of them as I prefer watching them at home or with friends. I'll usually go every other year or two to keep up appearances.

I defend AJ Hawk to my dad, strangers, even in TFF and I'm not sure why.

I was born in Green Bay, loved the Packers all my life, yet didn't have a jersey until my girlfriend got me a Super Bowl Rodgers one in 2011.

My biggest skeleton of all: I have a Chris Jacke autograph somewhere.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Sour Diesel posted:

I unironically enjoy Jon Gruden on TV. I don't know why. He's like the Brett Favre of the TV guys. He seems just to be the happiest person on the planet because he's just watchin' those boys sling the old pigskin around.

Do people not like Gruden? I don't think he's amazing or anything, but he's as good as I can hope for, especially given how awful so many announcers are. And the Brett Favre comparison is spot on, he's just having fun up there.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Thaddius the Large posted:

Do people not like Gruden? I don't think he's amazing or anything, but he's as good as I can hope for, especially given how awful so many announcers are. And the Brett Favre comparison is spot on, he's just having fun up there.

Gruden's Grinders is about as obnoxious a segment ever conceived and he has a tendency to cream himself over washed up veterans like Ike Taylor.

But once you get past his bro-ha-ha persona he provides pretty good analysis and he does have a real gift for seeing things on the football field. I personally think he's overall a very good color commentator in spite of his flaws.

fsif fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 28, 2014

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I didn't learn until last summer that notre dame is in Indiana

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Good god are you 9

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Rap posted:

Good god are you 9

I always figured it was in Massachusetts and when driving through Indiana I saw a sign for Notre Dame and was like "what the hell"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Rap posted:

Good god are you 9

his avatar is a pokemon

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I didn't know where Notre Dame was until a few years ago. Being raised on the East coast all of the Midwest geography is kind of a big lump that no one cares about.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to find out where Detroit actually is.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Are we allowed to jump to other teams in our adult years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rap posted:

Good god are you 9

I never really knew where Notre Dame was prior to entering college either. For all I knew it was in France.

• Locked thread