Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
We've done these sorts of threads before, but it's been awhile and people were sort of talking about this stuff in the N/V thread. Plus these threads are always good for a laugh so why not?

Rules
- Post football related things here you'd either generally never admit to people (at least in person), or embarrassing whatevers from your past.

- Some friendly ribbing each other for things in here = OK. Starting a dumb flame war over something = Not so good. Keep it friendly.

To start a few of my own:

- In the early to mid 90's I didn't care much about football and when I did I was the worst kind of football fan. I just rooted for whatever team was a winner pretty much. Though to my credit this was before Paul Allen bought the Seahawks. They were awful at the time, and it seemed reasonably certain that they were going to be moved to LA at any moment. As soon as Paul Allen bought the team I got re-acquainted with the Seahawks, and haven't changed since.

- In 2009 when Jim Mora Jr. was first announced as the new head coach of the Seahawks I was as skeptical of him as everybody else. However, after his first press conference a lot of the things he said seemed to make sense to me, and I was actually pretty optimistic about how he would turn out. I don't have the wherewithal to dig up my old posts here, but I think I made several posts loosely defending him as having turned it around from his Falcons days. Yeah... not so much.

- I was super high on Jimmy Clausen when he came out in the draft (as a lot of other people on here were too, you know who you are), and was hoping Seattle would take him in the 1st. Actually I didn't think he would even make it to Seattles #6 pick that year and was sure he'd be gone earlier. Definitely dodged a bullet on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

After the 2010 TO/Ocho disaster year and Carson Palmer threatening to retire I genuinely considered bandwagoning the Patriots

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
"I bet Ryan Leaf will end up being the better quarterback. Peyton could never beat Florida."

I was younger in those days.

Closer to home: "Yeah Rich Gannon can run a little bit but Elvis Grbac is so much better at throwing the ball, I don't know what everyone sees in Rich."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I owned a Cowboys shirt when I was in middle school

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
At one point in the late 90s I denounced my Chargers fandom and started rooting for a better, more successful team: The Minnesota Vikings

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
I nearly became a Niners fan after the 2009 season when I thought Angelo wasn't going to be fired anytime soon. :negative:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I am a Lions fan, and thanks to my grandpa, also a Bills fan. Lions before Bills, but really, both are usually irrelevant by mid-November.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I thought Dontari Poe would suck hard, but I guess that one could still happen.
I haven't been to a Chiefs game since before I graduated high school. The last game I went to was a preseason game against the Bucs. I'll always remember it because my aunt's boyfriend made a joke about some Sikhs having bombs under their turbans.
My unborn child already has at least five pieces of Chiefs paraphernalia.
I used to be a huge Phins fan back in the day and I loved Dan Marino. My old starter jacket is in my mom's basement still for some reason.

I'm pretty boring.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I left the 1994 Oregon vs Washington game early. We heard the stadium explode because of The Pick when we were about 150 yards outside the stadium.

(I was like 7)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I posted "Put in Matt Flynn" more times than I can count :smith:

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

I've stood by Russell since before he was even drafted. One of the few times I was actually right about something :unsmith:.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
My grandparents got season tickets when Lambeau Field opened in 1957, then transferred them to my mom after they moved to Denver. My mom transferred them to her cousin when the Packers instituted seat fees.

Her brothers both had a single season ticket at one point. One brother moved to California and turned his in, while the other got a second season ticket the same year. Both of them eventually moved to Denver, and my one uncle still has his tickets, selling them to one of his friends or my mom.

For 18 years I lived across the street from a woman who had season tickets as well. My mom went to games with her before my grandparents moved, and also bought tickets from her when the neighbor didn't feel like going.

I have never been to a Packer game.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
If the Browns don't pass the eye test this year I'm going to give up football so I don't end up like my mom

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, I was doin that.

Also, I wanted to bench Hasselbeck for Whitehurst. And I wanted Jimmy Clausen really badly. I was mad when they picked Earl Thomas because I didn't know who he was and it wasn't a quarterback.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

widefault posted:

My grandparents got season tickets when Lambeau Field opened in 1957, then transferred them to my mom after they moved to Denver. My mom transferred them to her cousin when the Packers instituted seat fees.

Her brothers both had a single season ticket at one point. One brother moved to California and turned his in, while the other got a second season ticket the same year. Both of them eventually moved to Denver, and my one uncle still has his tickets, selling them to one of his friends or my mom.

For 18 years I lived across the street from a woman who had season tickets as well. My mom went to games with her before my grandparents moved, and also bought tickets from her when the neighbor didn't feel like going.

I have never been to a Packer game.

Jesus. My friend lives in Florida and he's been to like six.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I only really started paying attention to football in general in the past few years, and the NFL this year. A lot of this was due to me living in Idaho for a large majority of my life, which is several hundred miles from the nearest franchise (I think either SF/Oakland or Denver would be the closest).

Two of my best friends growing up in elementary school in Idaho (so late 90s-early 2000s) were some of the biggest bandwagon fans in retrospect; one of them was a Raiders fan and the other was a Packers fan (though his family was from Wisconsin so it was understandable).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I was unironically on the "Give Charlie Whitehurst a chance" bandwagon. I also thought Charlie Frye would be a steal when we traded for him and become Hasselbeck's surefire successor.

Maybe I should stop trusting quarterbacks named Charlie.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal
I thought Tyrone Willingham was a decent hire

Its me, I'm the worst

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I honestly believed it when Dennis Erikson said that he would stay at Idaho until he retired. :smith:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I've worn the letters off two football jerseys (the screen printed types) One is a AD Vikings jersey. The other, for whatever reason, is a Raghib Ismail Raiders jersey. It's basically a black vest with bits of silver on it at this point.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Rap posted:

If the Browns don't pass the eye test this year I'm going to give up football so I don't end up like my mom

It was nice knowing you, Rap!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I was a somewhat Patriots fan thanks to my dad, but really only started watching religiously after my Brother in law made me sit down with him and we watched the snow game against the Titans.

After I moved to Philly I pretended to love the Eagles after they signed Michael Vick because I knew a lot of dog lovers who would be really annoyed and I thought it was funny.

This Christmas, I actually got an Eagles Cardigan like the one Robert De Niro wears in Silver Linings Playbook.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm sure that's not the worst fandom reasons anyone has but that's pretty impressive Gumbel.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I was very much on board with the 'skins getting McNabb, so much to the point that I declared that I'd buy a McNabb jersey if he was healthy and started Week One (or something).

Never did buy that jersey. What a shame.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Benne posted:

I was unironically on the "Give Charlie Whitehurst a chance"

Yeah I was firmly on the Touchdown Jesus bandwagon; mostly because Charlie Whitehurst and I have similar hair and long hair is great.

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 26, 2014

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I wasn't a big college football fan until like 2003 or 2004, so I didn't have any rooting interest in the Huskies the last time they won the Rose Bowl (my parents went to a small college in Montana that, while still a powerhouse, obviously isn't D-I caliber so I never got any rooting interest from them). So basically, I missed some of the greatest years of my college team's existence because I was either too young (1990-2) or only paid attention to the NFL (2000). As a big CFB fan, it really sucks but ultimately I can't complain too much given recent events :v:

Zifnab posted:

I thought Tyrone Willingham was a decent hire

Its me, I'm the worst

You weren't the only one who got duped, buddy

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
-I've only been to one pro football game in my life, and it was in the 90s

-I thought that Blaine Gabbert would be the best QB in his draft class, based solely off of watching half of whatever bowl game he played against Iowa right before getting drafted.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

I've worn the letters off two football jerseys (the screen printed types) One is a AD Vikings jersey. The other, for whatever reason, is a Raghib Ismail Raiders jersey. It's basically a black vest with bits of silver on it at this point.

The Rocket was the loving coolest though.

COMPUTER SECRETS
Oct 6, 2003

Pig Sooie

Intruder posted:

I owned a Cowboys shirt when I was in middle school

My parents still have my Notre Dame leather Starter Jacket from 8th grade.

edit: In my 8th grade school photo I am also in a cowboys sweater.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I pulled for the Pats in that first Super Bowl.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

shiksa posted:

I pulled for the Pats in the 2008 Super Bowl.

Though I'll add that when I saw that the Giants won, I wasn't too beat up.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I didn't go to a South Carolina football game until my senior year in college. I was still in my "football is for dumb jocks" phase and I was way wrong.

I can't watch South Carolina away games because I hate to see them lose. I only start watching when I know the game is mostly in hand because I'm afraid I'll jinx them. I thought we were going to choke at Arkansas this year and we beat the poo poo out of them.

I don't know poo poo about defensive schemes. I just glaze over and nod when folks start talking to me about the differences between 3-4 and 4-3.

There are giant holes in my football knowledge to the point where I have to keep my mouth shut around hardcore fans who have been watching for years because I don't want to embarrass myself if I sound like I don't know what I am talking about.

I bandwagon NFL teams because I can't commit to any of them. This past year, I was a Lions fan, an Eagles fan, a 49ers fan, a Panthers fan, a Packers fan, and a Seahawks fan depending on the week and how well they were playing.

I have never been to an NFL game.

I still hate Cam Newton because of what he did to South Carolina (twice) even though he's done well for the Panthers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Before I was 10 I used to wear a cheap Steve Young jersey to bed most nights of the week.

:shepicide:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I have no skeletons in my closet. I cheered for the same team all 25 years of my life, never regretted anything I said about football, and generally always have the right opinion over all you mongoloids.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I still think Eric Crouch was the right choice for the Heisman.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I called Torrey Smith a bust a bunch of times before he ended up panning out.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

C-Euro posted:

Though I'll add that when I saw that the Giants won, I wasn't too beat up.

I was. I rooted for the Pats so hard.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I became a real, roster-following Seahawks fan when Super Bowl QB Trent Dilfer got signed.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I had a Cowboys jersey (Emmitt Smith) that I cherished and wore to bed every night when I was a kid. In my defense, this was in the pre-Panthers era, and my dad got it for me on a business trip. I was a bandwagoner in those dark days.

I cried in '06 when Florida blocked Ryan Succop's last-second field goal attempt to win 17-16 (the same season UF went on to become national champs). My girlfriend at the time, who frequently ragged on me for caring about football, wisely kept her mouth shut, probably because the game was all-around so shocking. It remains my most shameful football moment, but it was so loving depressing that I have a hard time blaming myself for my reaction.

I absolutely love Cam Newton and have pretty much always been a fan of his, even when he was ripping my alma mater a new one in the SEC championship. There are a lot of Gamecock fans who also cheer for the Panthers, so I'm not alone, but Cam appreciation is sometimes frowned upon all the same in SC circles.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I only attended one game (despite paying for the sports pass and being within walking distance of the stadium) while I went to WSU and it was our first home game against Cal. We lost 66-3 and I left after the first half. The crowd was silent and everybody was getting drunk in the stands. On our first snap of the game we fumbled it and they returned it for a touchdown. Jahvid Best put up 200 yards rushing and gave us the second worst loss we've had in school history. This also had the great honor of being the first football game I'd ever attended as a fan. That wasn't even our worst loss of the season :smith:

• Locked thread