Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Len posted:

Were computer viruses big things back then? I was like nine so no idea.

The internet was like 80% viruses in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lurdiak posted:

Weird I thought it was just Geocities and underconstruction.gif.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Len posted:

Were computer viruses big things back then? I was like nine so no idea.

Yeah, the earliest viruses were from the mid-80's and they got a great deal of pop culture attention. The most infamous of these would be The Internet Worm from 1988, which was a student doing something stupid that got really out of control.

Think about that for a second. It wasn't "a" virus, it was "THE" virus. That's a kind of notoriety that just isn't possible these days. Modern computer viruses are just so artless and boring.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
At the time, there was a decent chance you'd know it was for the Dark Horse comic (2 or 3 issues, covers were the best part IIRC; later made into a lovely movie with Jamie Lee Curtis, William Baldwin and Donald Sutherland).

I'm more amused at the thumbnail clip from Barb Wire. Bet it was on a 1-3 second loop, just to make certain that you knew it was Pam Anderson with guns. :quagmire:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

And they were all designed to just break computers and cause as much havok as possible, unlike modern ones which are just after your credit card info and serving you ads.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Turns out ComicBase is still a real thing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vincent posted:

I started croping some parts of JL8 for some avatars but photoshop craped out on me and I saved only these 2

I was gonna have superman's cape move and GL's ring glow, but I remembered I don't know how to do that.

I may have been doing the same thing instead of working.

This one didn't come out too well. :(

These have promise for those that are betting at editing/animating.

I also tried to animate this, but turns out I don't have those skillz. :sad:

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I don't remember how small it needs to be for an avatar

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
125x125, 30 KB. I wasn't trying for an avatar, just trying my hand at some simple animation. I need something better than The GIMP, though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Uthor posted:

Trimmed, shrunk, and transparent background.

Thank you. I spent I don't know how long Tuesday trying to do a good one from the strip and then found out the artist drew a separate image.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Unlucky7 posted:

Huh, I always assumed MODOKs chair was a part of his body and he was a giant head with arms and legs attached.

Yeah he almost never gets shown without his chair. Here's one instance from wayyyyy back in 1967:

(Tales of Suspense #94)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Len posted:

But no here's some not JL8.

Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters 1

This better be a scene in the upcoming movie.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

And they were all designed to just break computers and cause as much havok as possible, unlike modern ones which are just after your credit card info and serving you ads.

Don't forget adding your computer to a botnet for DDoS attacks because people are stupid and just attribute slow computers to them 'getting old.'

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This better be a scene in the upcoming movie.

Obama may be out of office by then.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

But no here's some not JL8.

Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters 1

King Kong will be on Fox News shortly to explain how Obama is putting hard working American monsters out of work by outsourcing city-wide destruction. He'll end the interview by forming THANKS OBAMA in sign language.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TwoPair posted:

King Kong will be on Fox News shortly to explain how Obama is putting hard working American monsters out of work by outsourcing city-wide destruction. He'll end the interview by forming THANKS OBAMA in sign language.

As if he'd know anything about America. Haven't you seen his birth certificate? King Kong's really a Kenyan.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Really Pants posted:

As if he'd know anything about America. Haven't you seen his birth certificate? King Kong's really a Kenyan.

Indonesian. But they're predominantly Muslim too, so the prejudice sticks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_Island#Appearance_in_the_1933_film

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mister Roboto posted:

Obama may be out of office by then.
In May?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Indonesian. But they're predominantly Muslim too, so the prejudice sticks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_Island#Appearance_in_the_1933_film

Well we have all seen Obamas Birth Certificate

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Uthor posted:

These have promise for those that are betting at editing/animating.

This is the absolute best! I laughed so hard when I was reading this! I seriously might take this to CafePress and have them put it on a beer stein or something. Can someone with some photoshop skills do me a favor, though? Is there any way to get rid of the background so it's just Bruce?

Thanks to this thread, I've read through JL8 twice so far, and I've told everyone I know about it, in person, in texts, via Facebook, whatever. I'm happy to report that JL8 has about 15 new readers, at the least! Also thanks to this thread, I've started reading Wolverine and the X-Men. My god, I've been missing out!

And the last thing, JL8 has gotten me curious. Are there any really good stories about Power Girl, Flash, or Martian Manhunter? Right now I already read the New52 Bat-books, Justice League, and Batman/Superman. I read Wonder Woman's book, as well as Superman/Wonder Woman at times, too. So recommend me something new!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

10 Beers posted:

And the last thing, JL8 has gotten me curious. Are there any really good stories about Power Girl, Flash, or Martian Manhunter? Right now I already read the New52 Bat-books, Justice League, and Batman/Superman. I read Wonder Woman's book, as well as Superman/Wonder Woman at times, too. So recommend me something new!

Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti did the first twelve issues of Power Girl and they were fantastic. They also did a Terra mini beforehand that was sort of a lead-in to the Power Girl series. That was also excellent.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
'That Spiderman is a menace! I need to stop him!'

'WHERE IS SPIDERMAN, I DON'T WANNA FIGHT A GODDAMN TANK'

J. Jonah Jameson, always with our best interests at heart. (still Newspaper Spiderman)

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Those cops have to fill out SO MUCH PAPERWORK for wasting those bullets shooting at a GODDAMN TANK. I hope someone has their badge for that reckless behaviour!

I also love how the tank goes through three different shape configurations between the strips.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

prefect posted:

Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti did the first twelve issues of Power Girl and they were fantastic. They also did a Terra mini beforehand that was sort of a lead-in to the Power Girl series. That was also excellent.

Yeah, but good luck finding any (new) Power Girl trades for a good price. :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Red posted:

Yeah, but good luck finding any (new) Power Girl trades for a good price. :colbert:

They just released a TPB compiling everything Amanda Conner did on Power Girl.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They did?? What is it called?

Is it this?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Red posted:

They did?? What is it called?

Is it this?

Yes, or at least was branded as new release on my local comic shop.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yes, or at least was branded as new release on my local comic shop.

Oh, I love this forum. I was trying not to pay $25+ for each of the other books.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Amanda Conner's take on Power Girl really is the best one. :3:

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
If you can find them I'm rather partial to John Ostrander's Martian Manhunter series. It also has one of the funniest issues I've ever read where J'onn has to confront his addiction to oreos chocos.

From the cover.

To Martian Hulk.

To finding out his team-mate's deepest, darkest desires.

No wonder Max Lord got himself killed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is the best Guy Gardner.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

10 Beers posted:

This is the absolute best! I laughed so hard when I was reading this! I seriously might take this to CafePress and have them put it on a beer stein or something. Can someone with some photoshop skills do me a favor, though? Is there any way to get rid of the background so it's just Bruce?

???

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

If you can find them I'm rather partial to John Ostrander's Martian Manhunter series. It also has one of the funniest issues I've ever read where J'onn has to confront his addiction to oreos chocos.

From the cover.

To Martian Hulk.

To finding out his team-mate's deepest, darkest desires.

No wonder Max Lord got himself killed.

Look at his goddamn face on that cover! Smuggest smug that ever smugged!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
If anyone at DC had a brain in their head, they'd go to the creator of JL8 with a contract and a fat stack of cash and bring them inhouse. JL8 is the perfect way to connect to new young readers, introduce them to the characters and their personalities, and get them reading for years.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Fried Chicken posted:

If anyone at DC had a brain in their head, they'd go to the creator of JL8 with a contract and a fat stack of cash and bring them inhouse. JL8 is the perfect way to connect to new young readers, introduce them to the characters and their personalities, and get them reading for years.

Why would you think DC wants children to read their books?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Fried Chicken posted:

If only.:sigh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

poo poo, even Marvel was too stupid to keep publishing Mini-Marvels because some suit somewhere was afraid there'd be brand confusion between it and that terrible Bobblehead Avengers cartoon/toy line from some years back.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fried Chicken posted:

You think the JL8 characters share their personalities with their comic book counterparts? :psyduck:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Fuego Fish posted:

You think the JL8 characters share their personalities with their comic book counterparts? :psyduck:

Are you saying Batman isn't a weird loner with outdated views on women? Or that Superman isn't a wholesome goober?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought it was Supergirl who liked horses?

Oh..... OH! :stare:

I believe the source is Action Comics #302 but I couldn't find anything cementing that.

Edit: Actually, isn't Pre-Crisis Supergirl modern-day Power Girl?

• Locked thread