Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cooked Auto posted:

:doh: I stand corrected then and blame the fact that I don't have any of those models and have forgotten most of the old Stormtroopes ones as well.

It's all good. It doesn't help that you have to buy that guy by himself, since the squad set comes with the hellpistol/sword sarge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hustlin Floh posted:

It's all good. It doesn't help that you have to buy that guy by himself, since the squad set comes with the hellpistol/sword sarge.

And is a model which frankly hasn't aged well at all and is surpassed by the Kasrkin Sergeant by leaps and bounds.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's also the older gas mask one, not the newer Kasrkin one. I painted one for my Cadians a while ago:

Fun fact about those Stormtroopers: They have tons of reused bits from the Space Marine kit. That plasma pistol hand, most of the pouches, gear, and a number of the gun grip hands are all recast from the Space Marine kit. It's extra noticeable because sometimes guys' hands won't be the same size. I kinda love the models even if they're not actually the best sculpts GW ever put out, and actually pretty drat lazy.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I always thought the gas mask storm troopers looked really cool but I never even saw a box of them. Were they metal blisters only or what?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cooked Auto posted:

And is a model which frankly hasn't aged well at all and is surpassed by the Kasrkin Sergeant by leaps and bounds.

Ok, now we have beef. I've been a Cadian player for so long that I'm suprised my eyes haven't turned violet, but I still think the old stormtroopers are boss as hell. I just hope whatever plastics we get follow that design.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hustlin Floh posted:

Ok, now we have beef. I've been a Cadian player for so long that I'm suprised my eyes haven't turned violet, but I still think the old stormtroopers are boss as hell. I just hope whatever plastics we get follow that design.

I'm kinda hoping they'll follow more of the Kasrkin design since I really like that bulky look Shock Trooper look they've got.
I kinda like the old ones with gas masks as the non gas mask ones look are a bit hit and miss, SRM's picture shows two of them that I don't really like the design off, but the posing for the ones with masks are pretty good and I wish I had more of those.
That sarge in the picture is pretty drat cool though and I had forgotten about him.

panascope posted:

I always thought the gas mask storm troopers looked really cool but I never even saw a box of them. Were they metal blisters only or what?

Metal only. :(
Seen the occasional auction for a box of Kasrkins but the pricing on them always skyrockets because they are only available via the GW website these days.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Tommofork posted:

Auto-guns shoot bullets Las-guns shoot lasers? :confused:

Brilliant deduction. I think there is a mechanical difference between them, like how much damage they do or their AP or something.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Their damage types are different, at least.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The damage on the auto- and las- guns/pistols is comparable but the las guns typically have bigger clips and are less likely to jam though they have no armor penetration.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

panascope posted:

You can pick up a "squad" of five from the site nowadays, but I honestly didn't even pay attention back in third when they came out. I built my squad up from blisters since that's all my local Hobbytown had.

Edit- also Kasrkin and Stormtroopers are different troops altogether and should have different models (not that GW will care).

Hustlin Floh fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 1, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PantsOptional posted:

The damage on the auto- and las- guns/pistols is comparable but the las guns typically have bigger clips and are less likely to jam though they have no armor penetration.

Yeah thats what I remember. The las guns were really reliable and unlikely to jam or have their ammo explode, while the autoguns had a higher chance of a critical but also a higher chance the bullets would literally blow your gun into bits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Unless you already own the Escalation and Apocalypse rules then no, as the WD doesn't explain the parts of those rules the Knights use.

MSRP for one paragraph of GW rules: $40USD

Are they not going to put in the FW variants or the other stuff from Epic?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

It's also the older gas mask one, not the newer Kasrkin one. I painted one for my Cadians a while ago:

Fun fact about those Stormtroopers: They have tons of reused bits from the Space Marine kit. That plasma pistol hand, most of the pouches, gear, and a number of the gun grip hands are all recast from the Space Marine kit. It's extra noticeable because sometimes guys' hands won't be the same size. I kinda love the models even if they're not actually the best sculpts GW ever put out, and actually pretty drat lazy.

Man, I always liked these models, but that's hilarious. I never realized it before and now all the parts really stick out.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

moths posted:

MSRP for one paragraph of GW rules: $40USD

This, this is why I wish they would just cut the fluff by 90% in every book.

If I didn't already have plenty of models to paint and a venue to play, I couldn't see myself starting this game.

Seriously, the contempt for the customer shown by this kind of pricing scheme is astounding.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safety Factor posted:

Man, I always liked these models, but that's hilarious. I never realized it before and now all the parts really stick out.

It's like the original run of Forge World tanks- you could clearly ID half the hatches and assorted other bits.

Earlster
Jul 28, 2006

So jaded I'm green.

Slimnoid posted:

Looks like Robogear.

Thanks, I can't get past the goldfish look on the Storm Talon, It's the first marine model I wouldn't field solely based on its looks and right now I have too much to do to get into a major conversion and too little cash to buy something I like as a proxy. Would be happy with a Nephalim model etc in it's place.

That said I love the Storm Raven, although I had to get a kit to loose the flying pot bellied pig look.

For some reason I'm spending more time than I care trying to rescue terrible models I bought cheap on ebay last month. Just finished a drop pod that was made without removing all of the sprue, not just flash or mold lines but 1-2mm stumps and then put together with what seems to have been 100ml of plastic cement applied with a hose. Fulfilling when done, but feustrating as all hell.

I'll eventually give this some bits box love and a flying stand.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

This, this is why I wish they would just cut the fluff by 90% in every book.

Yep. Wish they'd actually sell the mini-rulebooks from the starter sets. I do not need a monster hardcover that's 2/3rds unread fluff threatening to crunch my miniatures.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hustlin Floh posted:

You can pick up a "squad" of five from the site nowadays, but I honestly didn't even pay attention back in third when they came out. I built my squad up from blisters since that's all my local Hobbytown had.

Edit- also Kasrkin and Stormtroopers are different troops altogether and should have different models (not that GW will care).

Not since the Eye Of Terror expansion, though those were pretty cool rules. It's unlikely that Kasrkin and Stormtroopers will ever be differentiated again, or that they'll undo their decision to make hotshots 18". I wonder if GW will ever stop overestimating the value of AP3 weapons.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I swore there was a piece of canon that stated Bolters would literally crush unaugmented humans. Maybe that was video game fluff? Gonna go look and see if the Grenadier squads come with bolters.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If bolters crush unaugmented humans, no one tell the Commissars. Or the Sisters of Battle. Or the Arbites.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, they fire rockets, there'd be minimal recoil, only weight.

Maybe you're thinking of them hitting people?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I swore there was a piece of canon that stated Bolters would literally crush unaugmented humans. Maybe that was video game fluff? Gonna go look and see if the Grenadier squads come with bolters.

Look at Eisenhorn. I think he has a bolter and there's a discussion about modifications.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Noctis Horrendae posted:

It's already been said, but there are space marine-sized bolters and human-sized bolters. If a regular human were to use a space marine's bolter they'd barely be able to lift it and it'd probably break their shoulder or arm or something. In the Fantasy Flight RPGs there's a distinction between the two, but 40k's d6 system isn't deep enough to represent this.

There's actually an example of an inquisitor using a full-sized bolter in Emperor's Gift. She has all sorts of anti-grav plates and things on it to cope with the weight.

Edit: All of this was covered on the last page.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 1, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Hell, look at the IG Gunnery Sergeant, he's not augmented and he's still jacked enough to carry a Heavy Bolter with no bipod or tripod or anything.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Reading comprehension, do you have it?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I mean empirical evidence would clearly suggest otherwise

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SRM posted:

No, I can't read. This is why I'm such a bad poster.

I forgot that there's human bolters and Astartes bolters; that makes more sense.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I forgot that there's human bolters and Astartes bolters; that makes more sense.

Holy poo poo shut up already. Instead of apologizing for lovely posting why don't you just stop posting for a while? You don't need to post every time someone calls you out.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
In case anyone is interested, KR Multicase are seriously excellent at customer service. Even though they sent me someone else's order, they have fixed it toot-sweet and are very easy to talk to. Regardless of this cock up, I'd still recommend them to anyone who needs something to carry their space men.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Unless you already own the Escalation and Apocalypse rules then no, as the WD doesn't explain the parts of those rules the Knights use.

Well, that's not too bad, as most 40k players will have those books already.

I had no idea Karskins were in such high demand, i have like 24 of them that i never use because I prefer to use the Krieg Storm trooper models.

Bolters clearly come in different models, not just in the fiction, but also in game. You can clearly see a bolt pistol carried by a guardsmen is much smaller than a marine one. At game level, the size isn't enough to change the damage or range, so there's no point.

In Necromunda in the section about las weapons, its said they are the best because their power packs were rechargeable in a million different ways, from public power terminals, to putting them out in the sun to tossing them into a fire. Though putting them into a fire shortens their useful lives.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Post 9-11 User posted:

Not since the Eye Of Terror expansion, though those were pretty cool rules. It's unlikely that Kasrkin and Stormtroopers will ever be differentiated again, or that they'll undo their decision to make hotshots 18". I wonder if GW will ever stop overestimating the value of AP3 weapons.

Yeah, I know the old grenadier/Kasrkin doctrine is gone, I meant they're different fluff-wise. I understand on the tabletop they're going to end up being pretty similar no matter what.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Hey man, I want you to read the following from the Games rules thread and reflect on just how likely you are to face a ban when everyone is reporting you under this rule.

Games Forum Rules posted:

Poor Content/Lame Posting: Will not be tolerated. Games is probably the best gaming forum on the planet because of this. We do not tolerate tired, lame, poor, low/no effort posting in all forms. We do not tolerate trolls or console warriors, crusaders or anarchists. We are here to talk about our love and hate of games, you are free to do either one as long as you are not a blithering idiot or just here to make people accept your point of view.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I guess my Necromunda Enforcers are 'augmented' where it counts :smuggo:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Hey man, I want you to read the following from the Games rules thread and reflect on just how likely you are to face a ban when everyone is reporting you under this rule.

After being gone a week on a work trip I fully expected to see him banned already.

On the upside, I may have come into about 2k points of necrons from an old friend.

I'm pretty sure there will be no explaining any of this to my wife.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

koreban posted:

After being gone a week on a work trip I fully expected to see him banned already.

On the upside, I may have come into about 2k points of necrons from an old friend.

I'm pretty sure there will be no explaining any of this to my wife.

Just show her his posts, she'll understand your surprise.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So if I want the Knight rules I can either get the codex (lol) or get the white dwarf plus a copy of escalation or apocalypse?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
With advanced, lightweight materials and miniaturization there's really no reason for there to be different sized bolters. Bolters look somewhat small in the hands of a Space Marine, which makes perfect sense because they're far bigger than humans, while they look oversized in the hands of regular people.
:goonsay:

-Someone trying to apply logical consistency to THIS loving GAME:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hencoe posted:

Just grabbed a knight, kinda neat they have a statline summary like you would see in the back of a codex at the end of the instructions. This base looks like a longer oval than regular, I dont have one on hand to compare it to right now unfortunatly. Looks like this will be a fun build.
E: why are there so many purity seals?

One of my friends grabbed one today also- the base is definitely different from the normal oval base used for flyers and big MCs; it's a bit "longer" and I think maybe slightly thinner? The actual kit itself is pretty good and looks fairly easy to put together, with enough options for articulation that you can pose them a couple different ways. The transfer sheet is pretty cool, comes with a lot of stuff on it (including some really huge Aquillas that look nice.)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've been spending a hell of a lot of time over the past month (and more in the coming months) travelling for work, staying in crappy hotels that don't offer wifi. I've been thinking about getting into the hobby for years now, and I feel like painting little plastic spacebarbies in my hotel room is an okay use of time in the evenings when I have nothing better to do. I might pick up the Dark Vengeance set in the next week or two. Can anyone recommend some kind of small-medium sized travel case where I can store both a decent array of paints, brushes, etc. as well as some figs to work on? If I pick up DV, what's a good "minimum" supply kit I should be picking up as well? (meaning: paints, brushes, exacto knife, washes, anything else, etc.)

I'm in Europe, so can't take advantage of using any North America-specific store brand stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Drone posted:

I'm in Europe, so can't take advantage of using any North America-specific store brand stuff.

Well my basic suggestion would be to get a KR Multicase for the models since they're based in the UK and then just a normal tacklebox for the paints and brushes.

• Locked thread