Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

indigoe posted:

I just recently got a camera after not owning one for like 15 years and found this thread to be hugely inspiring. Most of the shots here have been amazing and I hope I can come close some day. I live near a river and some marshlands and I found out there are over 150 species of birds here so I've been going for walks to see what I can spot. Got some fresh air, learned about the local wild life and took some pictures in the process.

The camera is a NEX7 and I shoot manual lenses only (cheap - I can already see myself investing in something more serious). They are all quite heavily cropped.

This is it so far. Sorry for the photo dump. Click through for bigger.

Asahi Pentax SMC 50mm f1.7

White-faced Heron

Royal Spoonbill (with white-faced heron looking on)

Silver Gull
You're off to a great start, I'm particularly fond of these. When I was in Tassie I found the White-Faced Herons to be a bit wary but not too skittish - they'd fly away when I got to about 30-40m away. Even "heavily cropped" I'm impressed by your shot through a nifty-fifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

indigoe posted:

Asahi Pentax SMC 50mm f1.7

White-faced Heron

They're all quite good but I really like this one. That lens also rules, pentax supremacy.

I tried getting close to some ducks with my ME Super today but they were having none of it.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I went down to the refuge the other day, and found a pond completely full of mallards (although it looks like there's a pair of black ducks mingling at lower right). In hindsight I think this one needed a little more depth of field.

Flock by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Attempts to move a little closer resulted in vast swaths of the population fleeing

Taking Flight by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

The black ducks were a little less skittish

Black Duck by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

A couple from around the house:

Cardinal by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Red-Bellied Woodpecker by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Venusian Weasel posted:

I went down to the refuge the other day, and found a pond completely full of mallards (although it looks like there's a pair of black ducks mingling at lower right). In hindsight I think this one needed a little more depth of field.

Flock by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Wow! I've never seen anything like that with mallards that didn't involve people feeding bread.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've spent a bit of time this evening trying to clear some of my backlog, and I saw a few birds last April in Vancouver. I have something to post here again!

Evening in Vancouver 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

Evening in Vancouver 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

Backyard Chickens 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

***CHICKEN CLOSE-UP***

Backyard Chickens 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

A few more from the refuge:

Escape by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Wood Ducks by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

On the Hunt by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Whistling Swan by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Lonely Hunter by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Northern Flicker

Long-billed curlew

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Graniteman posted:

Northern Flicker

I love this bird in this one - the feathers are just brushing against the foliage, and it perfectly displays the colored feather shafts distinctive to the northern flicker.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I can't ID this one. A heron? In Cuba.

Unidentified Cuban Bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

Turkey Vulture Taking Off by torgeaux, on Flickr

Flying Kestrel by torgeaux, on Flickr

Closer Crop American Kestrel Top of Tree by torgeaux, on Flickr

Bahama Mockingbird by torgeaux, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

torgeaux posted:

Yellow-crowned Night Heron? That's the only thing I can find that really fits the range and appearance.

Nice. Kestrels are very small and hard to get close to - I've had difficulty having them take up much of the frame in any of my shots.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Maybe this guy Great Lizard Cuckoo

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Maybe this guy Great Lizard Cuckoo

I think this is it! When he flew off, he was definitely shaped like this.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime
Thanks for the encouraging words. Here is something from today. I was balancing on a rock trying not to fall in the mud and all the shots came out slightly out of focus so this is the best I could produce from the series.

Great Egret

Australian White Ibis - it was quite dark under the mangroves

Pied Currawong

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I love American Dippers, but I don't love my pictures of one. :sigh:

Lynn Canyon 24 by Execudork, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moon Potato posted:

Nice. Kestrels are very small and hard to get close to - I've had difficulty having them take up much of the frame in any of my shots.

The hunting range of several Kestrels is very near me when I'm in Cuba. They're tiny, but if you shoot from a vehicle, they won't spook too badly from power lines/trees. This was probably my best with the 2x teleconverter on. Was guessing on exposure because it was so bright behind it.

Kestrel 600mm by torgeaux, on Flickr

Generally a good bird trip. Nothing exotic, but for the Great Lizard Cuckoo, but some opportunities for common birds in nice light/settings. The helmeted guinea fowl are the toughest, they shy away way more than any other birds.

Ugly Helmeted Guinea Fowl by torgeaux, on Flickr

Good Colors by torgeaux, on Flickr

Getting a Meal by torgeaux, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I went out to get in a long day of filming before the rain started again, and had some great encounters.

I spent the early afternoon shadowing a Red-tailed Hawk that was stalking waterfowl

red-tail-hunting by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A peregrine was soaring right above me for a while before it headed over to the bay and dove at some shorebirds

peregrine-soar by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Egret Buddies

egret-buddies by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

After I packed up for the day and was headed back to my car, a pair of bitterns came out right next to the trail and started hunting for worms in the grass. I was afraid they'd fly off from the racket of setting up a tripod and camera, but they kept going about their business

bittern-eating-worm by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Where were you hiding that neck?

torgeaux posted:

The hunting range of several Kestrels is very near me when I'm in Cuba. They're tiny, but if you shoot from a vehicle, they won't spook too badly from power lines/trees. This was probably my best with the 2x teleconverter on. Was guessing on exposure because it was so bright behind it.

Kestrel 600mm by torgeaux, on Flickr

That's great. The kestrels that I've seen in my town like to hang out on the lights over a freeway interchange and inside a gated community, so they're very hard to get close to. I never see them in any of my favorite birding spots, probably due to all the larger, more aggressive raptors.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 2, 2014

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

torgeaux posted:

Mockingbirds

I love mockingbirds. And Kestrels. Gorgeous photos.

I love Bitterns, they walk so funny.

So I just realized why I have no pictures to post here anymore. I recently got a pair of really nice IS binoculars and they totally blow away my tired old 5Dc and 100-300mm f5.6. Now I just want to spend all my time watching the birds instead of photographing them. The 200-600 f6.3 coming out may help me turn this around.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Aquila posted:

I love Bitterns, they walk so funny.
Yes, they do. The girlfriend and I liken them to a Kiwi doing a Monty Python silly walk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0-PbWbksuE

There was one spot int he footage where the last rays of the setting sun caught its head that I especially liked

bittern-hunting by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And, since I haven't posted a pooping bird in a while...

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Moon Potato posted:

Where were you hiding that neck?

That's like Jordan's dunk in Space Jam. But a bird instead of MJ. And a neck instead of an arm.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

I did a double-take when I saw this. Here's a very similar shot I took a few weeks ago in Discovery Park in Seattle:

I will say though that your DoF is gorgeously creamy. Your lens + f-stop or post-processing?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kenshin posted:

I did a double-take when I saw this. Here's a very similar shot I took a few weeks ago in Discovery Park in Seattle:

I will say though that your DoF is gorgeously creamy. Your lens + f-stop or post-processing?

DoF due to lens + f-stop.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Dread Head posted:

DoF due to lens + f-stop.

Do tell?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kenshin posted:

Do tell?

Not sure what there is to say really. Was shot with a D800 and a 200-400mm at 400mm f5 (Full Exif). Robin was probably about 10 feet away.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Kenshin posted:

Do tell?

I think the big difference is that Dread Head's is from a lower angle than yours, practically flat along the ground, so there's much more foreground and background in shot to be out-of-focus.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

One Swell Foop posted:

I think the big difference is that Dread Head's is from a lower angle than yours, practically flat along the ground, so there's much more foreground and background in shot to be out-of-focus.

Also that, I was laying prone using a beanbag to support the lens.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Makes sense, my shot was from a similar distance but shot supported on the back of a park bench, and at 400mm f/8

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Do tell?

photography 101

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

meh.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 4, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

photography 101

Well duh, I was asking for the details.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Well duh, I was asking for the details.

He doesn't need to give you details, he's better than you. He's published.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

He doesn't need to give you details, he's better than you. He's published.

oh give me a break. I don't think anyone on here really needs to explain dof. obviously someone wanted to waste their money and change my avatar.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

oh give me a break. I don't think anyone on here really needs to explain dof. obviously someone wanted to waste their money and change my avatar.

Maybe they like to show emotions in the moment by creating and maintaining avatars.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pukestain Pal posted:

Oh give me a break. I don't think anyone else on here really thought this was a good post to make 8 hours after Dread Head explained what made his shot different.

Pukestain Pal posted:

photography 101

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

Oh give me a break. I don't think anyone else on here really thought this was a good post to make 8 hours after Dread Head explained what made his shot different.

8th-snype posted:

Maybe they like to show emotions in the moment by creating and maintaining avatars.

Well, I'm getting baited for a probation, might as well preempt it.

[Edit: Wow, some dude's kid saw that. Edgy as hell. Get the gently caress out and don't come back. (There was a picture of a dick and a making GBS threads rear end here).]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Well that escalated quickly.

Moon Potato posted:

Yes, they do. The girlfriend and I liken them to a Kiwi doing a Monty Python silly walk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0-PbWbksuE

How frustrated are you when the birds moves out of the frame? This was fun to watch, which isn't too surprising since I enjoy watching birds.

Graniteman posted:

Long-billed curlew

This is a great shot.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

accipter posted:

How frustrated are you when the birds moves out of the frame? This was fun to watch, which isn't too surprising since I enjoy watching birds.
I'm just thrilled to have gotten that close to a pair of bitterns. Their erratic head movement was a bit hard to keep up with zoomed into 800mm, so I zoomed out a bit and got some wider shots to intercut the extreme closeups with. I just chose this shot because it was the only extended walking session that I captured - most of the rest of the time they were only taking a couple steps before plucking worms out of the ground.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That bittern video and gif are great!
I watched a eurasian bittern stalk through a bunch of reeds a couple months ago, I though it looked like a dinosaur. One of my favourite birds.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
They also swim, which is pretty :wtf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddWGLRE_jSk

(not my video)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Some sort of woodpecker in my yard.

Really need to get back the the parents' house and shoot the birdfeeders on the porch; 300mm on a crop sensor is short when the bird is tiny and 50 feet up a tree. I would put a feeder outside my window but I have a cat.