Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Dessel posted:

I'm kind of annoyed by the Shinji discussions, because I dare you wimps to do better in Shinji's situation as a grown-ups. In the case we have some milgoons here: With zero training and pscyhological conditioning. gently caress, firing an automatic rifle for the first time in my life was a little terrifying. And I was 18. I can't even imagine piloting a friggin' huge robot. That being said I still absolutely detest and hate Shinji as a character and he pisses me off (on purpose).

On topic: Shinji's and Eren's closest ties are dead mother and enigmatic dad. I wonder if there's any angsty shounen with both (decent, unabusing) parents alive, heh.

I want to point out again that Shinji's character isn't about being some kind of super soldier who can handle this stuff. The message of his character is having free will as opposed to do doing what society wants. The original anime did a poor job of expressing this until the very last episode. He thinks everyone wants him to pilot the Eva, but the only person who really wants that is his dad. Eren is a ball of anger who thinks he knows where to direct his anger and angst. Each time he tries though, it goes poorly for him. As far as we know, defeating Annie is the first real victory he's had. Shinji internalizes his pain, Eren externalizes it.

Jackard posted:

Nope, just idiotic anime filler. Instead of outmanuevering Annie (like in the manga with the Mikasa throw) Eren's berserk mode becomes even more xXxtreme

I haven't read the manga, but I kind of like the way Eren kind of burst into flame. I thought it was just a visual representation of his anger all coming to bear. Then the weird fusion thing happened...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

I want to point out again that Shinji's character isn't about being some kind of super soldier who can handle this stuff. The message of his character is having free will as opposed to do doing what society wants. The original anime did a poor job of expressing this until the very last episode. He thinks everyone wants him to pilot the Eva, but the only person who really wants that is his dad. Eren is a ball of anger who thinks he knows where to direct his anger and angst. Each time he tries though, it goes poorly for him. As far as we know, defeating Annie is the first real victory he's had. Shinji internalizes his pain, Eren externalizes it.

I haven't read the manga, but I kind of like the way Eren kind of burst into flame. I thought it was just a visual representation of his anger all coming to bear. Then the weird fusion thing happened...

It doesn't go poorly for him though. First he saves Mikada's life, then he lets everyone get some gas cannisters, then he saves millions of people with a rock. The only time it went poorly for him was when he went up against the person who taught him to fight and is probably more experienced I with Titan powers.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

The Repo Man posted:

I know we are kinda used to thinking of it in terms of Dragonball Z, but I think it is fairly evident that they were being welded together by whatever Annie did to become a crystal.

It was meant to clarify what was happening, but all I've seen just makes it out to be really confusing.

Terror Sweat posted:

Probably caused they indiscriminately kill millions of humans? What they hell do you mean even in the titans were in their right?

What if they had a good reason? What if humans have done them wrong first? I don't know, but that's the idea of a "what if" scenario. Try to think, "what crime could be so great to justify slaughter on that magnitude?"

If the answer is nothing, maybe it would help if you thought of humans as ants and they were infesting your home and if you didn't get rid of them with pesticide, your house integrity would crumble and you'd be homeless and all the ants be dead anyway. But that is just a hypothesis. My point is that to Eren, none of that would even matter, even if the audience would disagree. His vengeance is personal.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Have they said when the second season is suppose to start airing?
I marathoned the first season the other day, I actually liked it better than the manga.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Wokrider posted:

Have they said when the second season is suppose to start airing?
I marathoned the first season the other day, I actually liked it better than the manga.

As far as I'm aware they have said season 2 is happening, but it has no set date yet and won't happen this year. We can probably expect an announcement towards the end of the year.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's going to be for a while, honestly. The anime is too close to the manga at this point.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jackard posted:

Nope, just idiotic anime filler. Instead of outmanuevering Annie (like in the manga with the Mikasa throw) Eren's berserk mode becomes even more xXxtreme

This is the anime discussion thread though, I know how things go down in the manga but the anime's producers chose to shoot the last fight pretty differently to the manga and that does pretty significantly change the context of alot which goes down. Eren doesn't manage to transform from the lucid realisation that the world is a cruel dog-eat-dog place as he does in the manga, instead he's bleeding out and gets lost in a haze of mad anger, the finale even reuses the opening's famous arc lines to suggest Titan-Eren is an avatar of all humanity's hatred and frustration towards the Titans. By continuing that with having Eren going loving nuts after Annie beats him again they lay it on pretty thick that there's a really ugly nasty side to 'humanity's vengeance' which the manga doesn't really seem to acknowledge.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think it's going to be for a while, honestly. The anime is too close to the manga at this point.

The 25 episode anime covered up to the end up the manga's chapter 33 (the OVA covered a side chapter). Without getting into what's actually in future manga chapters, the obvious assumption is that the second series could cover chapters 34-66. The most recent chapter was 54, and it releases one chapter a month, so that gives an estimate of about a year before there's material for the next series.

That's about as rough an estimate as you can get, though. Additionally, they'll probably want a decent ending point for the series instead of a cliffhanger (consider how many episodes in the first series would have been good stopping points), which means they might end before or after chapter 66, depending on how the story works out. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
So it turns out that spoiler I ran into because of Watamote was real. :smith: I learned this after binging on the [AoT] manga for two days; I'm almost caught up.

Really I just want to give a warning to any other anime fans who are still on the fence about whether to wait or not and haven't actually started reading the manga yet. If you DO decide to read: holy poo poo, don't make the same mistake I did. PACE YOURSELF. That was.. too much to take in all at once. :psyboom:

The thing people said about the manga ramping up in pace and never stopping? Yeah, probably should have taken that to heart (Actually there was one semi-decent stopping point, I forget where, but I foolishly kept reading anyway. Another mistake.)

Don't binge. Don't binge. DON'T BINGE.
I seriously preferred being limited to one anime episode a week. drat spoiler, I wish I could have just stuck to the anime. :smith: I can limit myself to once a week even on finished anime but I have no self control when it comes to manga.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I really don't see any other way of reading the manga that would be preferable to binging on the majority of it, to be honest.

Though, if it makes you feel any better, you somehow managing to spoil Attack on Titan for yourself while trying to figure out if a meta-spoiler of Harry Potter in WataMote is real or not is incredibly funny to me.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
It's such an abstruse way to get spoiled that I'm not even sure what the hell is going on, to be honest.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

I really don't see any other way of reading the manga that would be preferable to binging on the majority of it, to be honest.

Read less chapters at a time, take some time to digest new information? Reading so much at once was exhausting.

Saagonsa posted:

Though, if it makes you feel any better, you somehow managing to spoil Attack on Titan for yourself while trying to figure out if a meta-spoiler of Harry Potter in WataMote is real or not is incredibly funny to me.

Nope, sorry. :smith:

Captain Backslap posted:

It's such an abstruse way to get spoiled that I'm not even sure what the hell is going on, to be honest.

Minor Watamote spoiler, I guess?
A character in Watamote, seeing that another character was reading a book, meanly said something behind them to spoil whatever they were reading. The original version I saw had them saying the now ancient Infamous Harry Potter Spoiler. I assumed this was a vile localization and tried to find the original page in Japanese. Instead I found another [English] version where she says something that spoils Attack on Titan. It was on some sort of Japanese-based Watamote "foreigner reaction" page. :smithicide:

And I still don't even know what it really said. :cripes:

Here's what was spoiled:
*Attack on Titan Spoiler about what was spoiled, not the actual spoiler, but still a roundabout spoiler by my standards*
Encoding in rot13 to be extra safe.
vqragvgl bs gur pbybffny gvgna

I was really hoping it would turn out to just be a random fake Oh Exploitable image. Like this:
(Watamote spoiler.. sort of?)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So basically you were so mad about a localization choice that you up and decided to look for THE ORIGINAL VERSION (Like you would've found anything worthwhile) and came across a site that spoiled you on a big thing?

Do I have this right? Because if so, jesus christ that is hilarious.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So basically you were so mad about a localization choice that you up and decided to look for THE ORIGINAL VERSION

I wouldn't say I was that mad about it. It wasn't something particularly cringeworthy like hearing a Jay Leno reference in the Lupin III series from the 70s. I just found it hard to believe and wanted to know if that was what was really being said.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

(Like you would've found anything worthwhile)

What do you mean?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Some of the dub voice actors have been revealed.

quote:

Character – Actor
Keith – Patrick Seitz
Moses – Jeff Johnson
Erwin – J. Michael Tatum
Marco – Austin Tindle
Carla – Jessica Cavanagh
Grisha – Chris Hury
Hannes – David Wald
http://www.fandompost.com/2014/03/10/first-attack-on-titan-anime-dub-cast-revealed/

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm most surprised to learn that Moses had any lines to voice in the first place

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember who Moses even is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mr. Seitz. I'm expecting some wonderful Gunny-style outtakes from you. :colbert:

Surprised that out of the 104th, Marco's the first to have his dub VA revealed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Squallege posted:

Wasn't he the guy who opened fire on the trainees?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Wasn't he the guy who opened fire on the trainees?

Was that his name? I was thinking of the guy who dies in the first episode.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Saagonsa posted:

Was that his name? I was thinking of the guy who dies in the first episode.
Right, it's the guy that dies in the opening. He has like what, two lines?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 11, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also for the first 13-Episodes Funimation is putting out some special edition DVDs.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-10/funimation-announces-1st-round-of-attack-on-titan-dub-cast

quote:

The Collector's Edition will retail for US$128.98 and include 104 minutes of on-disc extras, a 3D lenticular art card, 24-page "Notes From Beyond the Wall: Part 1" booklet, four military emblem pins (Military Police Regiment, Scout Regiment, Garrison Regiment, and Cadet Corps), a replica of Eren's key necklace, and a sword necklace "featuring the Titan flesh paring blades." The Limited Edition will retail for US$89.98 and contain the on-disc extras, the 3D lenticular art card, and the booklet. All versions will ship on June 3.

I am so excited for this dub and it's nice to see Funimation is putting their A-Team on this show, they're gonna make something great out of this.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 11, 2014

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Moses is that guy who his mother asks for when the Recon Corps come back to the city. Then the Recon Crops commander breaks down and yells that their loses were for nil.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:eng101: And the ex Recon commander is Keith Shadis, currently in charge of training recruits for the slaughter.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It was a valvrave joke :engleft:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Squallege posted:

MOOOSEEESSSSUUUUU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Second round of dub actors:
Jean – Mike McFarland
Sasha – Ashly Burch
Conny – Clifford Chapin
Anka – Jamie Marchi
Hanna – Tia Ballard
Gustav – Keith Kubal
Christa – Bryn Apprill
Ymir – Elizabeth Maxwell

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Ashly Burch as in the Ashly Burch of Hey Ash Watcha Playin' and Borderlands 2 fame?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The very same it seems. I'm relatively surprised Monica Rial wasn't casted as Sasha, but they're pulling in quite a few names I don't recognize for a few of the recruits. Also Rial will probably end up voicing Mikasa.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Sup shawty, gonna eat that potato?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Second round of dub actors:
Jean – Mike McFarland
Sasha – Ashly Burch
Conny – Clifford Chapin
Anka – Jamie Marchi
Hanna – Tia Ballard
Gustav – Keith Kubal
Christa – Bryn Apprill
Ymir – Elizabeth Maxwell
I'm going to laugh if McFarland uses the voice he did for FMA's Jean Havoc. :allears:

I have no idea who anyone else is outside of the aforementioned Ashly Burch. Although, looking up Marco's VA, I noticed he plays Accelerator from A Certain Magical Index.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I'm glad the dub is about to come out. I have friends, and friends of friends who just wouldn't pick Attack on Titan otherwise. And the show is so good. It's even better when you're watching it a second time, too. Any scene with Annie in the training arc is chilling after the revelations in the later episodes.

In fact, I'm watching it with a friend now. We just finished episode 5. :getin:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Angry Walrus posted:

Ashly Burch as in the Ashly Burch of Hey Ash Watcha Playin' and Borderlands 2 fame?
I know she's got comedic timing down, but can she do serious work? Sasha may be the comic relief, but she has her emotional moments too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess we'll have to wait and see. Sasha's serious moments are so few an far between in the anime you really don't need to worry about them. That being said I trust Funimation to hire a VA who knows how to act beyond "Can do funny voices," especially since this is a big license they got their hands on.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Squidster posted:

I know she's got comedic timing down, but can she do serious work? Sasha may be the comic relief, but she has her emotional moments too.

Her character in BL2 does have a brief emotional breakdown in some cut lines in the main game and in the character's titular DLC pack. So while not a great sample of her range, I think she can do serious voice work as well. Although it all depends on if the audio crew can keep her on task and under control.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I've seen a few clips of the dub on tumblr* - who knows how they got there, but somebody's probably getting fired :v:

Sasha sounded fantastic, Connie's is good, Jean's alright and I managed to hear a few lines from Erwin from a different clip which were also pretty good. But that's just my opinion.

*Watch out for spoilers on that blog, by the way.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 12, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Pyrotoad posted:

I've seen a few clips of the dub on tumblr* - who knows how they got there, but somebody's probably getting fired :v:
Supposedly if you subscribe to Funimation's poo poo you get preview clips of the dub.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

Sasha sounded fantastic, Connie's is good, Jean's alright and I managed to hear a few lines from Erwin from a different clip which were also pretty good. But that's just my opinion.

*Watch out for spoilers on that blog, by the way.

Not the biggest fan of Jean's voice from that clip, but Sasha did sound really good.

On an unrelated note I would encourage everyone to look at the other stuff on that blog because it's hilariously bad.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Saagonsa posted:

Not the biggest fan of Jean's voice from that clip, but Sasha did sound really good.

On an unrelated note I would encourage everyone to look at the other stuff on that blog because it's hilariously bad.

Hi I am five years old and I laughed like an idiot at "are you making GBS threads me right now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Saagonsa posted:

Same hairstyle, same first name, same english voice. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

• Locked thread