Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dreadwroth posted:

I would have totally bought a HALO that was all just Saber mission stuff in a heartbeat. That was probably the best HALO thing ever, especially in coop.
Yeah, me too. As I said in the Reach LP, I'd easily buy Halo: Sabre Interceptor day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

...I wonder how hard it would be to mod an interceptor into Arma.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

In the future continuity of the halo universe, it's explained that all combat spacecraft have a wireless access point as part of their inter-ship communications and guidance systems. Self-guided munitions, then, have given up all attempts at tracking their prey in any way, instead, after lock on, they're provided an endpoint address and network credentials that allow them to ping a wcf service on the target vessel for position and velocity information. They do this every 200ms or so, until contact is made.

The lockon computer is a brute-force password cracker that tries to connect to any nearby enemy subnets. Most covenant do not possess the technical savvy to set up their config to reject incoming connections with source=SabreMissileTargeting in the header.

If for whatever reason that doesn't work, the missiles resort to the local covenant battlegroup twitter for fleet position updates.

ECM systems make this a very dumb concept to base your weapons on.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's a joke :ssh:

I do like the idea that the go-to countermeasure to defeat Twitter-seeking weapons is 'massive broad-spectrum jamming', though. 'vampire! vampire! we have to tweet HARDER'

Orv
May 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Pretty sure it was a joke.

Good joke, though.

e: or maybe your post was also a joke ??? this is so confusing

Yes. (A weapon system like that wouldn't work even today.)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

General Battuta posted:

It's a joke :ssh:

I do like the idea that the go-to countermeasure to defeat Twitter-seeking weapons is 'massive broad-spectrum jamming', though. 'vampire! vampire! we have to tweet HARDER'

Well actually... "vampire" is the code word for anti-ship cruise missiles (ASuW), not AAW. :engleft:

e: it'd be 'spike' iirc

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 20, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Orv posted:

Yes. (A weapon system like that wouldn't work even today.)

Are you sure? Drones, right? And radio chatter?

If you can hear your own side over the radio/whatever and you can maintain control of a remote thing like a cruise missile or drone, then in principle you've got the ability to connect to a network.

It is just a joke, but the idea that the AIs on board Halo and Marathon ships can actually invade an enemy network while they're fighting in other ways is part of the fiction of the universe. That part, at least isn't satire.

I think the idea that at the end of the day it'd be easier to ask an enemy ship where it is than track it by other means is pretty funny, but it's also not so crazy.

That'd be something I'd like to see in this game. The active vs passive radar concept. Where you might have very limited situational awareness, generally, but if you want to take the risk, you could reveal one of your ships and get a brief picture of what's happening across the system and attempt to attack the enemy's network.

Seems like it could be an extension of that weapon-jamming idea with the green rings.

I guess speed of light being what it is, you'd have to do some 'hyperspace radar' hand waving for it to make sense. Assuming anybody but me cares.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Simply put, it's way easier to blanket an entire network/wavelength than it is to punch through that blanket. I'm not up on ultra-current ECM tech, but we've been able to obscure IR for a while, and jamming radio is even older. I mean, don't get me wrong, with Halo AI and whatever tech that universe has that I don't know about (haven't read any of the books for instance), it's not necessarily far-fetched. There are several sci-fi universes out there that never developed certain tech because of reasons A or B.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Well actually... "vampire" is the code word for anti-ship cruise missiles (ASuW), not AAW. :engleft:

e: it'd be 'spike' iirc

Yeah, I know - the implication is that you're aboard a warship with a dedicated Twitter crew that posts a lot about #jamming when it gets shot at.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Orv posted:

Simply put, it's way easier to blanket an entire network/wavelength than it is to punch through that blanket. I'm not up on ultra-current ECM tech, but we've been able to obscure IR for a while, and jamming radio is even older. I mean, don't get me wrong, with Halo AI and whatever tech that universe has that I don't know about (haven't read any of the books for instance), it's not necessarily far-fetched. There are several sci-fi universes out there that never developed certain tech because of reasons A or B.

Sure, but the same argument could be made for nuclear weapons--it's much easier to completely destroy everything in an area than it is to protect it.

But the thing is, that option is often not exercised, because you don't get to choose where techniques like that go--it's a blanket. So sure, you can shut down the enemy's remote control and communications, but you will also shut it down for yourself.

There's plenty of examples where that kind of technique wasn't useful in history. For instance, during Rommel's campaign to push the british back in africa, he put together a plan for an offensive meant to cut off their supplies and overwhelm them that involved radio silence among all the attacking units--to maximize confusion and prevent the british from having time to react. For the german forces, this worked out alright, because the German military structure encouraged lower ranking commanders to use their own discretion and develop their own plans. The orders they were given were typically broad and let them understand what their goal was, rather than a rote set of instructions and a time table. However, the Italians that comprised much of the force they needed to carry out the attack were in a military which had a rigid structure and expected strict orders to come from the top down. The ultimate result was that, while they were successful in some places, the British were able to fall back in some kind of order, and blah blah blah, spoiler; allies win in the end.

The other thing is that it's simpler to blanket a wavelength, but the range on doing that, vs the range on communicating (maliciously or among friendlies) is much greater. Because with the blanket, it has the problem of how quickly the amount of static drops off with distance--but with communication, you only need a little bit to make it a great distance and effectively get the message across. For instance, we can point a big dish at distant space objects like pulsars, and hear them pulsing. But none of those pulsars going on around us right now are preventing us from making cellphone calls. Even though, if you were much closer, they probably could.

I don't know what the range on stuff is like, but my guess is that as you start flying around in space with hand-waving techniques like hyperdrive that go faster than light, the ability to completely disrupt all communication is going to be much more onerous for the jammer than the jammees. I suppose you could shoot jamming pod things at enemy fleets and have them hum along, but if something is emitting a tremendous signal designed to do that, then it's easy to track and destroy. You just wave a passive detector around until you find the bright spot that's emitting all the junk that's ruining your communication.

This kind of tradeoff goes all the way back to black powder rifles, when a literal fog of war from your own weapons certainly concealed your lines from enemy artillery, but also blinded you to incoming charges or enemy maneuvers.

And another thing! Nothing can stop the internet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

And another thing! Nothing can stop the internet.

Except a couple 16 year old kids with a botnet. :v:

Yeah, once you get to the hyperdrive it's all basically out the window. As for the communication disruption range on pulsars, depending on the size and how many there are, it can be pretty extreme.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

@tipul posted:

#screenshotsaturday Tactical mode UI experience is getting iterated on along with the fleet battle work.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/tipul/status/437303735845277696]

Gah, minus.com. It's poo poo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

When I was a li'l kid, my mom would take us to Pizza Hut, we'd have a pizza, then I'd stare out at the small cluster of arcade games in the corner. I'd walk over to Pole Position, and steer the race car through the pre-recorded demo mode. Sometimes I'd get a quarter or two and be able to play it, but mostly my mom saw these games as a waste of money and I'd have to be happy just watching, and pretending to play, the demo of Pole Position.

So I open this GIF in a new tab, zoom it in, hit F11, and pretend for a moment I am playing Enemy Starfighter.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

doctorfrog posted:

When I was a li'l kid, my mom would take us to Pizza Hut, we'd have a pizza, then I'd stare out at the small cluster of arcade games in the corner. I'd walk over to Pole Position, and steer the race car through the pre-recorded demo mode. Sometimes I'd get a quarter or two and be able to play it, but mostly my mom saw these games as a waste of money and I'd have to be happy just watching, and pretending to play, the demo of Pole Position.

So I open this GIF in a new tab, zoom it in, hit F11, and pretend for a moment I am playing Enemy Starfighter.

PAchew PAchew

zzzzzzwwWWWWWooommm

zitzitzitzit

EDIT: Sound effects for you

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

Holy poo poo that is great. I only checked out this thread initially because of the Flotilla reference and this is looking like Flotilla x 100.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

doctorfrog posted:

You can zoom in gifs :psyduck:

This is awesome!

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Alehkhs posted:

I love comparing the latest gifs to the screenshots posted in the OP. This poo poo is looking good even gooder lately

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 27, 2014

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
I am so glad that Kairo doesn't stream regularly because as it stands right now I'm already super hyped for this game and If we got to see more gameplay every day or two as it is I've watched the clips he has up a couple times each, and sometimes just play them to listen to the music and sound effects.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Sphrin posted:

I am so glad that Kairo doesn't stream regularly because as it stands right now I'm already super hyped for this game and If we got to see more gameplay every day or two as it is I've watched the clips he has up a couple times each, and sometimes just play them to listen to the music and sound effects.

I did one today! I don't really advertise it unless there's something super new, but sometimes cool poo poo happens (to be fair, Sabotage does that to everything).

http://www.twitch.tv/marauderinteractive/c/3805142

The magenta icons are because some of those dudes have no idea that they're part of the harbinger fleet faction. :arghfist:

Kairo fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 1, 2014

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Kairo posted:

I did one today! I don't really advertise it unless there's something super new, but sometimes cool poo poo happens (to be fair, Sabotage does that to everything).

The magenta icons are because some of those dudes have no idea that they're part of the harbinger fleet faction. :arghfist:

I gotta say, every time Sabotage comes up while you're in the game, I get super-hyped. Also I'll be sending that email about your trail implementation once I'm a bit more awake. I'd say unless you want to talk about it here, but I doubt that many people in here are that interested in code details. :v:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kairo posted:

Did you bounce off that ship when you jumped in the beginning of that? The idea of losing hours of progress because you splattered yourself across the side of a destroyer on a poorly timed jump sounds both hilarious and infuriating.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zizi posted:

I gotta say, every time Sabotage comes up while you're in the game, I get super-hyped. Also I'll be sending that email about your trail implementation once I'm a bit more awake. I'd say unless you want to talk about it here, but I doubt that many people in here are that interested in code details. :v:
Trail as in the Homeworld engine trail? There are some details about it posted in the comments on this blog post in case anyone is interested.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Trail as in the Homeworld engine trail? There are some details about it posted in the comments on this blog post in case anyone is interested.

I suppose you could consider them 'Homeworld-style' engine trails, but not really those specifically. I'm interested in seeing how Kairo's chosen to implement his in Unity in particular(I know the general algorithm pretty well since I've done it from scratch in other environments before). I was asking about it because Unity's built-in option is kinda... iffy. I'll probably end up tackling this myself at some point, so I was curious about his choice of approach-- particularly performance strategies since ES has quite a lot of trails.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Bolow posted:

Did you bounce off that ship when you jumped in the beginning of that? The idea of losing hours of progress because you splattered yourself across the side of a destroyer on a poorly timed jump sounds both hilarious and infuriating.

I didn't! If I did, it would have indeed killed me. You can slightly steer the gap jump around the target depending on where you are aiming when the drive activates, so getting clipped and having it not be your fault is pretty rare. I sort of like how dangerous every other ship is, especially when they are exiting warp right on top of you. :)

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Obligatory DIVE, DIVE DIVE!

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Zizi posted:

Here are the basics. It's pretty similar to the article that Tycho linked, but here's the Unity-specific stuff. Remember, I only masquerade as a programmer so this is probably wrong/bad:

Trails are geometry that need to get generated every frame. There's not really any way around that, so I create a gameobject with a TrailMesh (custom), MeshRenderer, and MeshFilter that stays at 0,0,0 and builds itself out from there. Since the world is constantly shifting everything to keep the player around 0,0,0, this works out OK and if there is any jitter/floating point error in the geometry, it's happening pretty far away from the camera.

Trails themselves are scripts attached to objects like engines, missiles, etc. Every X amount of time, they request a point from the main mesh object and drop it like a bread crumb. These bread crumbs aren't game objects. They are just points in space with properties like time, scale, etc attached to them. When trails are enabled (and call Unity's OnEnable) they add themselves to a static LinkedList of all active trails. OnDisable() removes itself from that list and pools any points it might be using. I use this pattern A LOT. It's super useful.

Every frame, the TrailMesh trolls through all active trails and creates the vertices/triangles/etc and applies them to the mesh when it finishes, like they do here: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Mesh.html

Every trail can have one of four different textures, which are just UV offsets that are applied when the trail geometry is getting built. Since everything is pooled or created ahead of time, there's zero impact on the garbage collector. It can probably be improved by using straight GL.X calls and not even dealing with a mesh, but I'd have to benchmark it.

I may end up spending more time to optimize this. As battles get bigger, it's not BAD on perf, but there may be some easy fixes/changes to get some big gains.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 1, 2014

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Oh, cool. That's roughly the approach I'd expect, yeah. The only thing I'd probably add into that is some sort of camera frustum culling so you don't bother drawing triangles if they're not at least partially in view. You might be right about GL calls making a difference, though I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort involved.

Texture atlasing to allow different textures on trails without extra draw calls is a good idea, too. No idea why I hadn't thought of that myself.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Came to the thread looking if there were dev comments on Unity 5, didn't find any yet

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mad.radhu posted:

Came to the thread looking if there were dev comments on Unity 5, didn't find any yet
Switching horses midstream sounds like it would be tough. Then again I know nothing about Unity development or Unity 5.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Switching horses midstream sounds like it would be tough. Then again I know nothing about Unity development or Unity 5.

I dunno man being on top of a peeing horse would be weird

Caufman
May 7, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

I dunno man being on top of a peeing horse would be weird

Being on its back might be the safest place at that moment, though. Do you really want to attempt a difficult maneuver on top of a peeing horse?

edit: this is what happens when you don't feed the beast.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

I am probably going to switch to 5.0 at some point. They have done a pretty good job with making the upgrade seamless and the editor improvements alone are generally worth the trouble. If I were switching to another engine altogether, it would be brutal!

Their store isn't showing me a spec sheet for 5.0 yet, but their audio stuff sounds like it will help. Their lighting, not so much (but that's just my game). I REALLY REALLY want to have stencil shadows (like Doom3) in the game, but for now the lighting works well enough.

Edit: Spec sheet is live. The audio improvements will be the most useful. "Unity Homescreen" is a listed feature? :raise:

Kairo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 18, 2014

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I just sat through lunch near GDC and realised as I was leaving that the guy I was with had an Enemy Starfighter shirt on - are the devs in attendance?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

illectro posted:

I just sat through lunch near GDC and realised as I was leaving that the guy I was with had an Enemy Starfighter shirt on - are the devs in attendance?

Dev, singular, isn't it?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

illectro posted:

Hi! Nope, I wasn't there this year (have never been, actually). That might have been Colin from Celsius with the ES shirt. That's awesome ES was there in spirit!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I am totally looking forward to your game, so how close to an alpha test are you? If you don't mind me asking. I would love to test the crap out of your game.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Dreadwroth posted:

I am totally looking forward to your game, so how close to an alpha test are you? If you don't mind me asking. I would love to test the crap out of your game.

I'm not comfortable charging money for it yet, but it's getting there. I have a group of awesome testers that regularly deal with me breaking the build, but we are cranking through things.

Today, I allowed all capitals to use their main weapons on fighters. It ends up feeling like this:

But that opened up a whole slew of bugs that had to be fixed, things like target priority. Now they only shoot sub-capitals when there are no enemy capitals in range, but the Benny Hill theme wouldn't have been out of the question earlier. :)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
How does that work for capitals firing on fighters? Obviously you don't want super accuracy, do you code in a random variable or just have it shoot at a certain location that the fighter was at?

I'd imagine the technology and sight of a capital ship-sized shotgun weapon would be terrorizing against snub fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ringo Star Get posted:

How does that work for capitals firing on fighters? Obviously you don't want super accuracy, do you code in a random variable or just have it shoot at a certain location that the fighter was at?

I'd imagine the technology and sight of a capital ship-sized shotgun weapon would be terrorizing against snub fighters.

I assume they have tracking values, and that the capital ship ones don't track so well.

• Locked thread