Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Avshalom posted:

question - what do men really think about lipstick? i personally love the look of dark red lipstick on myself and other women (as long as it works with their complexion / clothing, obviously) but the male opinion on it seems to be overwhelmingly "eww it makes ladies look like vampires". as a Man, what are your thoughts on this crucial matter?

Kind of depends. If you're pairing dark lipstick with light skin and dark nail polish you're probably going to look odd. I really liked black nails on the girl I was most recently dating, but she also had a hispanic complexion.

e: really the gist of it is that, as with anything, it depends on the person.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Kind of depends. If you're pairing dark lipstick with light skin and dark nail polish you're probably going to look odd. I really liked black nails on the girl I was most recently dating, but she also had a hispanic complexion.

Personally I love the contrast of dark makeup on pale skin. But then I'm a big fan of goth fashion and such so I guess my opinion isn't normal?

Edit: That said, I don't like the opposite. I'm a big fan of dark makeup on dark skin too. I guess I just like how dark makeup looks, when done well.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Ladythread, what dye(s) should I use on my hair

I've got a very bright, intense purple, a medium vibrant purple, and a dark purple. I also have a legit mystery purple. And then a dark green, a very bright green, a peacock blue, and a regular medium blue. And a little bit of emerald left. help

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm pretty drat pale and wear red lipstick or gloss most of the time. My face just doesn't look right without it, I look downright ghastly in lighter shades

Usually just a bit of black eyeliner and mascara other than that, though I have been messing around with eyeshadow lately

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 1, 2014

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Fabulist posted:

I've got a very bright, intense purple, a medium vibrant purple, and a dark purple. I also have a legit mystery purple. And then a dark green, a very bright green, a peacock blue, and a regular medium blue. And a little bit of emerald left. help

medium purple or dark purple

you're welcome

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
mystery purple! mystery purple!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

medium purple or dark purple

you're welcome

yeah this

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I just checked my facebook account for the first time in a few weeks, and apparently yesterday my mom invited me to like the page "Autism Radio"
wtf

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

mystery purple or peacock blue

whenever I put on a lip colour that's noticeably different from my natural shade I feel like I'm wearing clown makeup

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Meis posted:

Personally I love the contrast of dark makeup on pale skin. But then I'm a big fan of goth fashion and such so I guess my opinion isn't normal?

Edit: That said, I don't like the opposite. I'm a big fan of dark makeup on dark skin too. I guess I just like how dark makeup looks, when done well.

Dark colored makeup/nails on pale skin looks awesome. My wife is scandinavian by heritage and has super pale skin, and I love those dark colors on her. But what do I know.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ok i will continue wearing my fearless crimson lipstick then

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Also: pink lipstick looks like poo poo on everyone. Don't wear pink lips.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

ok i will continue wearing my fearless crimson lipstick then

Do it. Consider it warpaint and kick rear end while wearing it

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Captain Backslap posted:

I can second this. Never seen it look good on anyone

you rock
Sep 12, 2010

You wanna fuck with this shit I fuckin dare you. You fuck wit the hedge you get the spines
my makeup routine is pretty simple and takes about 10 minutes on a good day. smashbox primer (pricey but worth it, if you have combination skin like me), estee lauder double wear foundation and concealer (i like medium to full coverage), and some physicians formula mineral organic loose powder (doesn't break me out like most powders). then i finish off with some dark red lipstick, writing 'cum slut' on my forehead

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Portals posted:

whenever I put on a lip colour that's noticeably different from my natural shade I feel like I'm wearing clown makeup

It just take some getting used to. I wear bright dark pinks all the time but shades I used to think were too garish when I started playing with lipstick seem so tame to me now.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i once told one of my friends that my makeup routine includes black eyeliner zebra stripes on both cheeks and he believed me

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I'm thinking of dying my hair black. I have pale skin, and my eyebrows are black already. I also just like the idea of black hair on myself.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I skipped 400 posts because I was busy buying clothes on Modcloth to catch up. I've never skipped pages before -- what did I miss?

I have about 5 reject red lipsticks and finally found a gloss I like. I used to wear red lipstick all the time, then I stopped wearing makeup in general, and had trouble getting back into lipstick. I also need to get better at eyeliner, because I am terrible at it.

Today was my last day of work. It was really nice working with my husband for a week and I didn't strangle him at all even though once or twice I wanted to just a little bit. I start my new job Monday :ohdear:. I'm not usually someone you'd describe as "put together" -- I usually roll into work around 9:30 (I'm allowed to, but that's a full hour after everyone else), and bother wearing makeup or brushing my hair 2-3 times a week. I have fancy new clothes and fancy new makeup and I'm going to try to wake up early and get ready and project an aura of "functioning adult" for as long as possible. I'm excited to see how long it lasts.

Still not wearing heels, though. gently caress that noise.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

my makeup routine: look in mirror, are eyebrows getting out of hand? if so deal with that, then straighten hair, then sunscreen, then maybe eyeshadow/mascara/lip balm

takes 15 minutes tops

e: eyeliner scares me because I don't want to stick a pen in my eyeball

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Meis posted:

I'm thinking of dying my hair black. I have pale skin, and my eyebrows are black already. I also just like the idea of black hair on myself.

I love the idea of black hair, but it doesn't work for me :smith:. If you can get away with it, rock on

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Captain Backslap posted:

Are we talking about bright neon pink, or all shades of pink including >90% of lip color?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Avshalom posted:

question - what do men really think about lipstick? i personally love the look of dark red lipstick on myself and other women (as long as it works with their complexion / clothing, obviously) but the male opinion on it seems to be overwhelmingly "eww it makes ladies look like vampires". as a Man, what are your thoughts on this crucial matter?

I think it can be fantastic if it goes well with the outfit.
Gloss is also cool.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
also not to interrupt makeup chat but I think something is wrong with my brain. in the last 4 hours I've ate 10 servings of hash edibles and I have yet to feel a thing.

it's beginning to make me very sad

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

also not to interrupt makeup chat but I think something is wrong with my brain. in the last 4 hours I've ate 10 servings of hash edibles and I have yet to feel a thing.

Bring me some I will taste-test we'll get to the bottom of this, I promise.

Portals posted:

my makeup routine: look in mirror, are eyebrows getting out of hand? if so deal with that, then straighten hair, then sunscreen, then maybe eyeshadow/mascara/lip balm

takes 15 minutes tops

e: eyeliner scares me because I don't want to stick a pen in my eyeball

15 minutes! Oh god, maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Anne Whateley posted:

Are we talking about bright neon pink, or all shades of pink including >90% of lip color?

This kind of pink: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SKqrpb8JTcA/ToQTPNeOEfI/AAAAAAAAAvU/MqQ3mR7lMi0/s1600/pink+lipstick.jpg http://makeupforlife.net/wp-content/gallery/fotd/wearing-mac-pink-friday-lipstick.jpg

Basically only looks good if you go pink just about everywhere else and it's a part of a theme.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

detectivemonkey posted:

Bring me some I will taste-test we'll get to the bottom of this, I promise.

I would have tested it on my roommate but she's allergic to chocolate

the chocolate bar tasted like thin mints so at least it hasn't been a total loss

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

that shade is fine if you're extremely blonde and in a sorority

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Avshalom posted:

i like lipstick if it's for something formal but day to day i think it's unnecessary

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Portals posted:

that shade is fine if you're extremely blonde and in a sorority

It works really well on a super Mod girl I know, whose hair color varies. She's basically always in costume, though. Looks great, but it's a big commitment.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Crow Jane posted:

It works really well on a super Mod girl I know, whose hair color varies. She's basically always in costume, though. Looks great, but it's a big commitment.

there are still people in the Mod subculture?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Good morning (ish.) Mr.Kitty made me eggs because I guilted him a little. And I threw chicken breasts (frozen) mushrooms, cream soup and spices in the crock pot. Dinner, yay.

I don't do dark lipstick. I am pale and have light hair (it used to be brown, but is now 45% grey) and pink tones and dark lipsticks are BAD on me. Buxom glosses are good plumpers, though. I think one of the reasons dark is so bad is my thin sad lips. I married a guy with amazing lips, but my son got then and not my daughter. Poor girl. But she looks identical to me (only 28 years younger) so she'll be okay.

I haven't decided yet if I will partake when I retire. Mr.Kitty will not approve, and I had a bit of a habit (not MJ, but coke) when I was a rich dumb teenager. I'm a little worried, but hash brownies sound like fun. I will definitely try heroin when I am old and dying, though. And maybe meth.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Fabulist posted:

Ladythread, what dye(s) should I use on my hair

Is it too late? Section it into 3, a horseshoe at the top, a middle layer and a bottom layer and do dark green/emerald on top, then peacock blue, then regular blue at the bottom.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

detectivemonkey posted:

15 minutes! Oh god, maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew.

It takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes to get ready from waking to walking out the front door: feed the kitties, shower, dry hair, iron clothes, put on make-up, pack for the gym, get dressed and pick out shoes, grab snacks, and leave.

Captain Backslap posted:

:colbert:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

poopkitty posted:

I haven't decided yet if I will partake when I retire. Mr.Kitty will not approve, and I had a bit of a habit (not MJ, but coke) when I was a rich dumb teenager. I'm a little worried, but hash brownies sound like fun.

they are fun. where do you think I get all my chill posting skills from

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

there are still people in the Mod subculture?

Yup. Some people take it waaay too far, but the dance nights are fun and there are some very cute boys involved

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

detectivemonkey posted:

I skipped 400 posts because I was busy buying clothes on Modcloth to catch up. I've never skipped pages before -- what did I miss?

def go back a couple pages and read dreamchat

proof:

Pick posted:

Some of them seem to kind of run into one another, almost like there's some kind of running narrative I could assemble. There's often the helpful guy with red teeth, skin sloughing off, the beach off of Puget Sound, and Barack Obama.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

It takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes to get ready from waking to walking out the front door: feed the kitties, shower, dry hair, iron clothes, put on make-up, pack for the gym, get dressed and pick out shoes, grab snacks, and leave.

:colbert:

Oh man. I am so not ready for life where I have to put on makeup and pick out clothes. It takes me 45 minutes to get up, shower, get dressed, get up my 7 year old, feed her, feed cat, make work list for my homeschooler, dress girl, get her hair/teeth brushed, make 2 lunches (child and adult) and my breakfast smoothie and get us out the door. I do change at work into my uniform and drink breakfast on the way to work, though.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

poopkitty posted:

Good morning (ish.) Mr.Kitty made me eggs because I guilted him a little. And I threw chicken breasts (frozen) mushrooms, cream soup and spices in the crock pot. Dinner, yay.

I don't do dark lipstick. I am pale and have light hair (it used to be brown, but is now 45% grey) and pink tones and dark lipsticks are BAD on me. Buxom glosses are good plumpers, though. I think one of the reasons dark is so bad is my thin sad lips. I married a guy with amazing lips, but my son got then and not my daughter. Poor girl. But she looks identical to me (only 28 years younger) so she'll be okay.

I haven't decided yet if I will partake when I retire. Mr.Kitty will not approve, and I had a bit of a habit (not MJ, but coke) when I was a rich dumb teenager. I'm a little worried, but hash brownies sound like fun. I will definitely try heroin when I am old and dying, though. And maybe meth.

My 60 year old mother in law just started eating hash brownies last year when she retired. She's digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Crow Jane posted:

Yup. Some people take it waaay too far, but the dance nights are fun and there are some very cute boys involved

if this were me I'd just dress like Vince Noir

Shithouse Dave posted:

My 60 year old mother in law just started eating hash brownies last year when she retired. She's digging it.

This will be me when I'm older, except for not a woman. I've met so many older folks at the pot shops here it's insane but also kind of cool

• Locked thread