Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Day 6: driver's compartment

Not much to say about it, as it's kind of bare. Chair and three levers. No instrument panel or anything.

Back of the chair.

The driver's compartment also provides the floor for the front two turrets. The rear turrets are not as lucky, since their fighting compartment has no detail in it at all.

And, with that, I am done the inside of the hull. Time to seal it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ensign Expendable posted:

And, with that, I am done the inside of the hull. Time to seal it up.

How's that warped hull plate doing? Reviews say it's common with this kit.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

*Homer drool noises*

http://www.dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=PLAAC12

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

How's that warped hull plate doing? Reviews say it's common with this kit.

I bent it mostly back into shape (thankfully the plastic is not brittle) and held the parts together for a few minutes. It didn't seem like it was going to come apart, but I put a pipe wrench on top of it while it dried, just to be safe.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Day 7: main turret

The main turret, thankfully, is much more complicated and detailed than the embarrassing 45 mm gun turrets.

The turret sides are one piece each, with holes in the rear and the front for machinegun ball mounts.

Another large component is the turret basket, complete with 16 shells and two seats (the T-35 and T-28 turrets fit 3 crewmen, but 2 is better than nothing)

The KT-28 gun. It includes the breech and shell catcher, but not any elevation or turning mechanisms. The gun does not move up or down.

The kit also contains an L-10 gun. Since no T-35 ever mounted an L-10, I suspect that the two turret sprues are common with a T-28 kit. The barrel of the gun is actually very long, long enough that you can make it into an L-11 if you so choose.

All the internal components put together.

Not much remains visible with the roof on, even with both hatches open.

To finish off the turret, a radio antenna is installed. The kit gives you the option of using a more modern single pole antenna, but I like the look of the older rail antenna.

The turret is of the newer type. Kind of a shame, since T-35 turrets with the star on them looked cooler.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 23, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The top down view really illustrates how bad an idea this tank was.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Day 8: rear deck.

The coolant fan covers up what little of the transmission was still visible.

In turn, it is covered by a grille.

You can barely catch a glimpse of the fan if you look through it at a favourable angle. The engine cover and air filter are at least removable, so I can take it off if I choose to put the tank in some kind of repair diorama, but the transmission is sealed for good. In proud tradition, the engine cover does not fit in at all and needs plenty of sanding.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Day 9: side skirts.

One last look at that glorious suspension detail. See all those holes in the bogeys? Wouldn't is be nice if the side skirts fit nicely into them for easy mounting/demounting?

It sure would, but the inside of the skirts is completely flat. Even though there are bolts for connecting with the bogeys on one side, the other side is completely devoid of detail, aside from the other side of the track tightening mechanism. Since this is not an easy vehicle to climb, two stepladders are included in the kit. Historical photos show both of them on one side, but some photos of model kits have them on both. I'll stick to historical accuracy.

The tank with side skirts mounted. Majestic! This is all for gluing. Next: painting and effects and stuff!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

The tank with side skirts mounted. Majestic! This is all for gluing. Next: painting and effects and stuff!

Looking really nice, what specifically do you have in mind next?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Washing it over with a lighter khaki to simulate dust, then some dirt and grime in the tracks.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Washing it over with a lighter khaki to simulate dust, then some dirt and grime in the tracks.

I think you're a good man. I like you. I got nothing against you, but I'm definitely gonna make orphans of your children.

I may or may not be jealous that you found that kit; Nice work! :ussr:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Final day: effects and finishing.

Tanks tend to get all sorts of gunk stuck on them (especially the ones with sideskirts). Let's gunk up the suspension with some sand. It's easier to do this with the skirts off (I cheated and put them on with sticky tac instead of glue).

Next, repeat the trick, but with grass. I cut up the grass into tiny parts 3-7 mm each, but some longer strands seem to have made it in.

Time to spray this sucker down with some clear finish. drat, it comes apart into a LOT of parts. Why did I bother putting the turrets on...

Many hours later.

Hm, seems a little hairy. I trimmed the grass a bit to make it look like grass stuck on, not field-expedient haystack storage.

Front view. The front part of the tank gives you quite a bit of choice. You have three hatches to position (although the upper hatch can only be placed in a limited amount of positions due to the turrets) and the headlights can be glued on in either travel or combat position. I flipped them up for travel, since they look cooler that way. The horn in between the headlights doesn't come bored out by default, and I had to bust out the soldering iron again.

Rear view.

Here's how much of the transmission fan is still visible:

The three guns can be aimed at (roughly) the same target. This is as good a time as any to talk about the turrets. You have to put them on in a very specific order, due to how hard it is to turn them, even with liberal sanding. The machinegun turrets have very little to hold on to, so they have to be put on first. Then, the medium gun turrets, since they have the gun mount housing for you to use as leverage (don't try to turn it by holding the gun, that will end badly). Then, finally, the main turret. I had to change the position of the MG turret hatches, since the main turret would get stuck on them as it turned. Also, if you put the driver's hatch in the open position, watch out when you turn the front gun turret, as it might knock the hatch off.

This picture illustrates how big the tank is. It doesn't fit into my photo box at all.

Another picture to illustrate its size. One crewman for scale.

And a full crew! It took a ton of people to run this thing, and I nearly ran out of crewman figures. A lot of these are from the wrong time period, but I didn't have much choice.

The hardest task left is figuring out what shelf I can fit this behemoth on.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
So I started the Panther tonight.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Generally speaking, what are some of the better manufacturers of 1:48 plane kits?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

You know you're a historical nerd when you happen upon an inaccuracy in the model kit you're building.

The tank on the right is in the assembly manual, the tank on the left is the one that the decals are supposedly from. You can tell it's a completely different tank, and yet this particular one was unique.

Captured? I doubt the Soviets would've been too happy about that slogan.

Ace build, by the way. I should really work on my models at some point soon, but :effort:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Abandoned by the side of the road.

Edit: the manual also claims that it was used by Ukranian nationalist bandits, but the claim is ludicrous. This tank did not move since it was left in that ditch in 1941.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 28, 2014

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Hey Ensign, really nice build. What is the manufacturer for that T-35? I haven't seen it available in ages and I really like those awkward multi-turreted interwar tanks.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Commissar Canuck posted:

Generally speaking, what are some of the better manufacturers of 1:48 plane kits?

I've been meaning to ask this, too. I've done a couple of Hasegawa 1:48 planes and they were excellent. When I window shop on scalehobbyist.com, I see plane kits from Trumpeter, Hobbyboss, Tamiya, and Italeri in the higher price ranges, but have been hesitant to purchase them because I don't have any idea how good their reputations are.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Sparq posted:

Hey Ensign, really nice build. What is the manufacturer for that T-35? I haven't seen it available in ages and I really like those awkward multi-turreted interwar tanks.

ICM. And me too, I am also trying to track down a T-28 and a T-26 with two turrets, but no luck so far.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Thanks.

Twin turreted T-26? Hobby Boss has one, "Hobby Boss 1/35 T-26 Light Infantry Tank Mod 1931 # 82494", not sure if the one with the machineguns is the one you pursue or the other version with the 37 mm guns.

And yeah, T-28 is another one I'm after. So far, I only managed to get the silly Flames of War off-scale T-28.

brendaneph
Apr 14, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

I've been meaning to ask this, too. I've done a couple of Hasegawa 1:48 planes and they were excellent. When I window shop on scalehobbyist.com, I see plane kits from Trumpeter, Hobbyboss, Tamiya, and Italeri in the higher price ranges, but have been hesitant to purchase them because I don't have any idea how good their reputations are.

You can go to http://www.scalemates.com/products/ to see more information about specific kits. Information includes the age of the tooling and reviews.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Here are some shots of the Panther after some brief time tonight laying on the the first layers of base coat. Tomorrow will hopefully see me masking and adding the final lighter shades.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Interesting method for shading, I've never seen that done before.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I just picked up the Airfix 1/72 F-5A 'starter kit'. I figured it to be something to get restarted with, and also to help decorate my cubicle at my new job. Only problem is, the decals are in Imperial Iranian Air Force colors, which, while it'd be fun, may not be the most tactful thing on my desk at my new job. What's a good place to pick up some USAF decals?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

If anyone is really interested in these, and earlier techniques seen in the thread, you'd do well to pick up copies of Mig Jiminez's books F.A.Q. and F.A.Q.2. They're basically the bibles of modern model painting techniques. They both cover a lot of the same techniques, but they don't totally overlap and there is some stuff in each not repeated in the other. If you can only get one though, get the second.

F.A.Q.
F.A.Q. 2

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

YF19pilot posted:

I just picked up the Airfix 1/72 F-5A 'starter kit'. I figured it to be something to get restarted with, and also to help decorate my cubicle at my new job. Only problem is, the decals are in Imperial Iranian Air Force colors, which, while it'd be fun, may not be the most tactful thing on my desk at my new job. What's a good place to pick up some USAF decals?

If they are the imperial roundels you can just explain its from when we liked Iran and were buddies with the Shah.

Side note: can someone link me to that goon made paint app.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I'm trying out the modulation technique as designed by Mig Jiminez as Bloody Hedgehog says.

My first attempt was on a 1:35 Dragon Ferdinand a few pages back.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Side note: can someone link me to that goon made paint app.

Did you mean my app for color matching Scale Model Helper ? If so, there's an online version, and an android version.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Ugh, all these tank models! I had to install T-34 vs Tiger again to get this out of my system.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Well it's not a Tiger, but it's done :toot:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Just ordered a complete set of these. Apparently the original moulds are from the 1950's, but $2.99 for a 1/32nd car kit can't be bad.

Look at this chipper fellow!

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 2, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Commissar Canuck posted:

That is honestly one of the nicest Panzer IV's I've ever seen. Paint looks like the right amount of wear in all the right places. If anyone asks why it's not covered in 2 feet of dust like every other model tell them that it occasionally rained during WWII.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks! :)

I've begun constructing a KV-2, which will be the last tank I'll be doing for awhile. So help me god I love that derpy looking tank so much. After it's done I'll be trying my hand at some fighters, which will also give me an excuse to try out my new airbrush stuff. I've never used an airbrush before but a friend gave me a quick crash course and I've checked out some beginners stuff on youtube so it shouldn't be too bad. I also have some bits of kit to practice on before I attempt to get the layering right on a Corsair :ohdear:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Commissar Canuck posted:

Thanks! :)

I've begun constructing a KV-2, which will be the last tank I'll be doing for awhile. So help me god I love that derpy looking tank so much. After it's done I'll be trying my hand at some fighters, which will also give me an excuse to try out my new airbrush stuff. I've never used an airbrush before but a friend gave me a quick crash course and I've checked out some beginners stuff on youtube so it shouldn't be too bad. I also have some bits of kit to practice on before I attempt to get the layering right on a Corsair :ohdear:

Wait. You painted that Panzer with a brush?? :psyduck: that's seriously the smoothest brush job I've ever seen.

e: wait, rattlecan maybe?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 4, 2014

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Nope, just used Vallejo dark bluegrey and a brush

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Commissar Canuck posted:

Am I weird that I think the short barrel III and IVs are weirdly cute? Great job though!

Doctor Zero posted:

Wait. You painted that Panzer with a brush?? :psyduck: that's seriously the smoothest brush job I've ever seen.
Personally I find the key is the right amount of thinning.. and praying. :ohdear:

Seriously, reveal the arcane secrets already, Commissar!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Have done some more work on the Panther, it's coming on okay I think, but there is still a load left to do. I'm hopefully going to start the chipping tonight.

This is also the first time I have followed the advice which everyone else seems to follow and painting the tracks separately and adding them later on. I normally assemble with them on.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

Commissar Canuck posted:

Nope, just used Vallejo dark bluegrey and a brush

Then that is the smoothest brushjob I've ever seen. Great job!

big_g posted:

Have done some more work on the Panther, it's coming on okay I think, but there is still a load left to do. I'm hopefully going to start the chipping tonight.

This is also the first time I have followed the advice which everyone else seems to follow and painting the tracks separately and adding them later on. I normally assemble with them on.

Uhm...decal placement looks somewhat weird, with the crosses at the edge and the numbers over the spare links. Was it that way?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The crosses at the edge are how the ones in the kit are (I used some spares on mine from a few pages back), and numbers over spare track links are rare, but not unprecedented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sparq posted:

Then that is the smoothest brushjob I've ever seen. Great job!

Uhm...decal placement looks somewhat weird, with the crosses at the edge and the numbers over the spare links. Was it that way?

My Panther too has edge Balkan crosses. I think they didn't want 'em on the turret, as it'd make a good target to aim at.