Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midwat
May 6, 2007

Rap posted:

Ah good, Mike Florio doesn't know what "on the record" means and also his report was all anonymous sources too. cool. cool

I think he's trying to retake the "Why am I still employed?" crown from Rick Reilly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Peter King on just how lazy is Clowney? Why doesn't he destroy truck drivers like LT did? http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/25/jadeveon-clowney-combine-lawrence-taylor/

quote:

But that’s not the best I’ve seen Taylor. That happened in a replacement game in 1987. The players were on strike, and the league fielded bush-leaguers so the owners wouldn’t have to refund TV fees. With the Giants 0-4, Taylor crossed the picket line and tried to beat the Bills by himself, playing both ways, linebacker and tight end. Buffalo lined up a truck driver from Illinois, Joe Schulte, to block Taylor. Schulte was called for seven penalties on Taylor. In the second half, with the refs not watching, LT drove his fist into Schulte’s throat. “How do you like that, sucker!” Taylor snarled at him. The Giants lost, but owner Wellington Mara thought it was Taylor’s best game as a pro.

See Clowney you need to show more passion, punch dudes in the throat, and rack up an insane game of... two sacks against the equivalent of an arena league team.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Whoa whoa LT's best game as a pro came against amateurs and during the game he acted like a child???? Tell me more. PEter. Tell me more about this

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I love tone deaf stories like that.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

DangerKat posted:

I love tone deaf stories like that.
Guys, he also lined up at TE (for one incomplete pass play)!

Taylor did dominate that game but yeah he also dominated others playing hurt against real NFL guys.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Here's a heartwarmer: During a season in which players as a class of employees went on strike to protect their rights, cocaine addict and statutory rapist Lawrence Taylor crossed the union picket line to steal the spotlight for the 0-4 Giants. While he failed, putting his health and the entire concept of collective bargaining at risk in order to try to be a one-man show, Taylor did in fact punch someone

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I want Clowney to invite out King and everyone else writing about him for a workout. Videotape everyone going through his weight training, plyometics, speed, endurance, etc. regimen and post it to Youtube. That would help end the scourge of work ethic articles for at least a year or two.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Anals of History posted:

I want Clowney to invite out King and everyone else writing about him for a workout. Videotape everyone going through his weight training, plyometics, speed, endurance, etc. regimen and post it to Youtube. That would help end the scourge of work ethic articles for at least a year or two.

It'd make for some great YouTubes of talking heads puking, too.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

WugLyfe posted:

It'd make for some great YouTubes of talking heads puking, too.

Peter King face down in the grass, sobbing, dry heaving, possibly suffering from rhombo...I'd buy that for a dollar.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Anals of History posted:

Peter King face down in the grass, sobbing, dry heaving, possibly suffering from rhombo...I'd buy that for a dollar.

Something similar to that also happens if he goes a full day without a cinnamon dolce frappuccino

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Peter King posted:

I am not willing to consign a man like Joe Paterno to a legacy of total disgrace because he didn’t do the right thing on Jerry Sandusky.

I know King is an oblivious dickhead but this is some next level poo poo.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I know King is an oblivious dickhead but this is some next level poo poo.

So we should not judge a man who when it mattered the most did nothing?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Rap posted:

Here's a heartwarmer: During a season in which players as a class of employees went on strike to protect their rights, cocaine addict and statutory rapist Lawrence Taylor crossed the union picket line to steal the spotlight for the 0-4 Giants. While he failed, putting his health and the entire concept of collective bargaining at risk in order to try to be a one-man show, Taylor did in fact punch someone
Schulte, having received a broken larynx and severed vocal chords on the play, wrote down after the game that it was "a pleasure to line up and play against one of the best athlete [sic] in football."

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Holy crap that Peter King column is an all timer

quote:

Regarding the Washington team name, it’s clear there is a dispute about whether the name is a slur or not. There is no dispute that the n-word is a slur.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I hope Peter King dies from a tragic latte overdose.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Chris Gaines posted:

I hope Peter King dies from a tragic latte overdose.

ftfy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
All the native americans say it's a slur. But all these white NFL guys say it's not. Who to believe. Who who who?

[Peter King Inner Dialog]

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This thread makes me remember that its time for the Douche of the Year Tournament.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Someone on Twitter just showed me these articles from a "former scout." I....I can't tell if he's serious or trying to land an Onion gig

http://www.touchdown-europe.net/2014/02/daniel-kelly-tim-tebow-future-hall-of.html

http://www.touchdown-europe.net/2014/02/daniel-kelly-michael-sam-most-powerful.html

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

This thread makes me remember that its time for the Douche of the Year Tournament.

I'm nominating Darren Sharper.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Benne posted:

Someone on Twitter just showed me these articles from a "former scout." I....I can't tell if he's serious or trying to land an Onion gig

http://www.touchdown-europe.net/2014/02/daniel-kelly-tim-tebow-future-hall-of.html

http://www.touchdown-europe.net/2014/02/daniel-kelly-michael-sam-most-powerful.html

His writing style and grammar suggest severe brain damage to me, so I'd guess he's serious. About his opinions, that is, not that he was a scout.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

I'm nominating Darren Sharper.

vs Richie Incognito and Aaron Hernandez.

For once the owner side of things has like no chance.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

vs Richie Incognito and Aaron Hernandez.

For once the owner side of things has like no chance.

Well Haslam might make the final 4. Plus a bunch of people won't vote for Sharper or Hernandez because " they're evil not douches :qq:".

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hmmm yes straight up murdering several people not nearly as bad as being a shithead bully.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Hmmm yes straight up murdering several people not nearly as bad as being a shithead bully.

Don't blame me. When we did the Douche awards last year multiple posters wouldn't vote for certain people because they felt evil acts didn't qualify as douchey.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Then I dont even know what to think then. A guy who likely went around raping multiple women across the US or a guy who likely MURDERED multiple people... not douches

If you vote for a lovely white collar criminal or a shithead bully over them then I think you need therapy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Then I dont even know what to think then. A guy who likely went around raping multiple women across the US or a guy who likely MURDERED multiple people... not douches

If you vote for a lovely white collar criminal or a shithead bully over them then I think you need therapy

I'm phone posting, so I can't find the old thread, but that discussion came up nearly every single round of voting. If you can find it it's worth reading just to see some really bizarre rationales.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I remember distinctly arguing against those people too, saying you have to be a douche to be evil therefore evil=douche but it was to no avail

Some people just mentally separate the two words when most of us dont

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

I remember distinctly arguing against those people too, saying you have to be a douche to be evil therefore evil=douche but it was to no avail

Some people just mentally separate the two words when most of us dont

Well I can kind of understand it if they immediately think of a tank top wearing frat bro when they hear the word 'douche'. I mean yes, I dislike them too, but I'm not sure I'd consider them evil. That said I still would vote Sharper or Hernandez as douche of the year. Maybe when we do the contest again we should change it to "Shithead of the Year" or "Football Associated Individual Who We Really Dislike On A Personal Level", so that the pedants don't derail the contest.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think the guy running the contest was one of the ones who favored a separation of douche and evil, and it is kind of his thing. But anyway I'd expect Hernandez and Sharper to qualify for the Sandusky clause where they're automatically in the evil bastard wing of the douche hall of fame.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, I think the name is the inherent issue with the tournament, and part of why we had so many derails last year. People see the word "douche" and think of Tapout shirts and Axe body spray, not actual crimes committed. When I read about Darren Sharper, I don't think "what a douche," I think "holy poo poo this guy needs to be locked away yesterday."

I'm not sure how to fix that dissonance outside of outright changing the name.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I kind of prefer the South Park Douche of the Universe criteria myself.

"Hey serial rapist who tours the country raping. You have been awarded TFF's Douche of the Year."

Just seems too light. Sharper can win "Worst football human being." and Richie can win douche of the year.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

This is the sort of poo poo that soured the vote last year. People wouldn't shut up about who everyone else was voting wrong. It's not really that serious, you know...

...so I really shouldn't be complaining about complaining.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Jerome Agricola posted:

This is the sort of poo poo that soured the vote last year. People wouldn't shut up about who everyone else was voting wrong. It's not really that serious, you know...

...so I really shouldn't be complaining about complaining.

I wouldn't waste any effort on complaining, because I can't provide the previously mentioned years of therapy

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/march/guess-which-columnist-is-trolling-analytics-once-again.html

In news that should shock absolutely no one, Dan Shaughnessy is still a hack.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

He's just mad because without analytics the Sox wouldn't have any championships and he'd have another solid 10 years in which to make money off of "The Curse of the Bambino." As I recall he also has an axe to grind against David Ortiz and Pedro Martinez, possibly for the same reasons and also racism.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/epic-futility-with-lions-shouldn-t-be-william-clay-ford-s-lasting-legacy-in-detroit-230333207-nfl.html

Eric Adelson claims that Wm. Ford was the only owner strong enough to keep the Lions from leaving Detroit. Yes Detroit, the same group of fans that rewarded decades of incompetence by consistently selling out one of the largest NFL stadiums, and only engaged in open revolt after the NFL's single 0-16 season.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I just want to post about how much I hate Mark Schlereth. I have a pretty high tolerance for bad sports radio, but when he guest hosts on a show like Mike and Mike, it's just unbearable. He does a couple of things that grate on my nerves, but the worst is any time he tries to romanticize his time in the league.

"When I was an offensive lineman in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, I learned that the offensive line is a BROTHERHOOD."

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I liked Schlereth better when he was forced to keep his mouth shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@OmarKelly: I achieved my childhood dream at the age of 30. How many people can say that. My biggest challenge now is figuring out what's next.

• Locked thread