Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Adam Bowen posted:

Twilight changed vampires fundamentally by turning them into whiny pussies that sparkle in the daylight, not by making them sexual/romantic creatures.

They're still creepy rapists, it's just that now the audience is totally into that.

Like, if a vampire suddenly appeared in your bedroom while you were sleeping, that'd be the scariest loving thing that could possible happen. But in Twilight, it's a romantic gesture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

MarsDragon posted:

Oh no! Such an incisive and cutting argument! I am undone!

It was about as incisive and cutting as "People only hate Twilight because teens like it!" so you deserve nothing less.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
For me Twilight is bad for just one simple reason. Sparkling isn't a weakness.

The whole point of it is that daylight stops these fuckers dead and is one of the few things actually holding back the dark hordes. I mean there's shitloads of other weaknesses like running water, wooden stakes, not being allowed in a room without permission, etc etc. Symphony of the Night actually handles the running water as a weakness really well.

Twilight's is literally sparkles and massive massive blood loss. There's no compelling reason why vampires aren't all over the place ruling like kings.

Also horror movies from the 80s/90s really makes this stuff look unbelievably tame.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like judging the combat based on this tutorial level is maybe a bit quick to judge, I'm sure we'll get hella powers to mix it up.

Mirror of fate has good boss fights and looks neat as heck but it is very shallow and suffers heavily from their decision to split it up. If you just played as one guy with all the toys and the rooms were the same, just more connected, it would be strictly better.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
The atmosphere and art direction in LOS2 looks slick, and I have no doubt that the demo is the typical "Let's dumb this poo poo down for new players" that every game unfortunately does now; the first one had that similarly weak village and forest section before it took off. Plus, the promise of Darksiders 3/Zelda with Dracula is tempting.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
At this point I'd sooner get a Castlevania game out of Dark souls 2, running around with a whip.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

For me Twilight is bad for just one simple reason. Sparkling isn't a weakness.

The whole point of it is that daylight stops these fuckers dead and is one of the few things actually holding back the dark hordes. I mean there's shitloads of other weaknesses like running water, wooden stakes, not being allowed in a room without permission, etc etc. Symphony of the Night actually handles the running water as a weakness really well.

Twilight's is literally sparkles and massive massive blood loss. There's no compelling reason why vampires aren't all over the place ruling like kings.

Also horror movies from the 80s/90s really makes this stuff look unbelievably tame.

The only reason I'm okay with this is in the hopes that somebody looking for Twilight will get a nasty surprise.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So Lords of Shadow 2 is almost out. For all of Lords of Shadows 1's problems I actually prefer it to God of War 3 (both those games share quite a few as a matter of fact) as far as braindead action game spectacles go.

The demo seemed decent I guess even though they're reusing the light/dark mechanic again. Hopefully the power balance is better because each subsequent power in the first game in either tier made the previous power completely obsolete. no need for a cross beam power if you just spin at a million miles an hour for a similar amount of magic.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I've been going through Mirror of Fate and holy poo poo is that game awful, so this will probably seem like a revelation by comparison.

I can't figure out what they were going for. It's just.. So bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I can't figure out what they were going for. It's just.. So bad.

I have to think it's just a case of "we didn't know how the gently caress to develop for that system", because although LoS isn't perfect, the gap in quality and scope between that and Mirror of Fate is astronomic. It's so loving bad. Everything is dark as poo poo and you can't see anything, the controls are horrible, the physics are a mess, what you can see is ugly and grungy as gently caress, the framerate is aaaaawful, death traps everywhere, loving FALL DAMAGE IN A 2D PLATFORMER HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIT, etc.

It's one of the worst games I've played in years. Note I'm playing the XBLA version. Like when I booted it up I almost couldn't believe how bad it looked and how poorly it ran/felt.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 21, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I bet it still sold better than OoE or HoD :(

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Finally completed Mirror of Fate. I enjoyed it. The boss fights were really fun, and while I didn't really like the music tracks of Lords of Shadow all too much, the music tracks I did hear in Mirror of Fate started to grow on me and become enjoyable.

The story I thought was rather interesting in how they meshed old Castlevania lore with the new timeline. I also think it does a much better job of showing how the Brotherhood of Light are a bunch of dicks. The game also had some genuinely decent platforming moments as well.

Where I think the game fails is that the combat against many of the enemies is pretty simplistic. You get all the aerial dodge moves that you will barely use, but when you do execute them properly, it feels nice. The backtracking is monotonous as well to the point where I didn't even bother to return to previous areas because it was just a hassle to get over there.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Was I the only one who loved the cheesy 3D effects they used on the 3DS version of Mirror of Fate? I mean if you're going to use 3D, you might as well go for stuff like killing a zombie enemy causes their arm to fly "out" at the viewer like a boomerang during their death animation instead of holding back to be "tasteful" or something.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I bet it still sold better than OoE or HoD :(

OoE DID sell pretty well which is part of what annoys me so much. My opinion of OoE is well established in this thread but c'mon.

blackguy32 posted:

Finally completed Mirror of Fate. I enjoyed it. The boss fights were really fun, and while I didn't really like the music tracks of Lords of Shadow all too much, the music tracks I did hear in Mirror of Fate started to grow on me and become enjoyable.

The story I thought was rather interesting in how they meshed old Castlevania lore with the new timeline. I also think it does a much better job of showing how the Brotherhood of Light are a bunch of dicks. The game also had some genuinely decent platforming moments as well.

Where I think the game fails is that the combat against many of the enemies is pretty simplistic. You get all the aerial dodge moves that you will barely use, but when you do execute them properly, it feels nice. The backtracking is monotonous as well to the point where I didn't even bother to return to previous areas because it was just a hassle to get over there.

Do you really, really, really like God of War? I didn't think anyone liked Mirror of Fate.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

So Lords of Shadow 2 is almost out. For all of Lords of Shadows 1's problems I actually prefer it to God of War 3 (both those games share quite a few as a matter of fact) as far as braindead action game spectacles go.

The demo seemed decent I guess even though they're reusing the light/dark mechanic again. Hopefully the power balance is better because each subsequent power in the first game in either tier made the previous power completely obsolete. no need for a cross beam power if you just spin at a million miles an hour for a similar amount of magic.

I actually really liked LoS1 for some reason I can't put my finger on. But with the reviews it's getting I think I'm going to wait for LoS2 to go on sale for $20 in a month and half.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I actually really liked LoS1 for some reason I can't put my finger on. But with the reviews it's getting I think I'm going to wait for LoS2 to go on sale for $20 in a month and half.

This is the correct option. Even if you end up liking it more than I did you're almost not going to like it $60 worth.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So far the parts of LoS2 that take place in the past with you just going through your castle are pretty cool. I've fought a golem and the gorgon sisters so far and that's pretty rad.

The parts in the future where you are changing into a rat and platforming over electrified water and throwing bats at grenade-launching mooks to stealth by because they can kill you in one hit and you're not able to attack are incredibly stupid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

So far the parts of LoS2 that take place in the past with you just going through your castle are pretty cool. I've fought a golem and the gorgon sisters so far and that's pretty rad.

The parts in the future where you are changing into a rat and platforming over electrified water and throwing bats at grenade-launching mooks to stealth by because they can kill you in one hit and you're not able to attack are incredibly stupid.

Forced stealth in an action game is always a bad idea. How have devs not learned this yet?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I've been playing LoS2 and I'm having a ton of fun with it. Enemies could stand to have a lot fewer unblockable attacks but, whatever. I'm especially loving the new take on the original lore with the Belmonts and Alucard. I haven't beaten it yet but at this point I have high hopes for the conclusion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Forced stealth in an action game is always a bad idea. How have devs not learned this yet?

The best part is that they keep the forced stealth long after you're doing things like slaying "the most powerful class of demon to ever exist" and stuff like that. Killing the ultimate forces of Satan? Piece of cake. Wooooah, these guards with grenade launchers? gently caress no, I gotta sneak!

SpazmasterX posted:

I've been playing LoS2 and I'm having a ton of fun with it. Enemies could stand to have a lot fewer unblockable attacks but, whatever. I'm especially loving the new take on the original lore with the Belmonts and Alucard. I haven't beaten it yet but at this point I have high hopes for the conclusion.

Prepare for disappointment. Even people who like the game think the ending sucks.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

Prepare for disappointment. Even people who like the game think the ending sucks.

Eh maybe. But I still like ME3 in spite of its ending.

Protip though people, definitely install the game to your hard drive. Some of the loadtimes can be painfully long if you don't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Eh maybe. But I still like ME3 in spite of its ending.

Protip though people, definitely install the game to your hard drive. Some of the loadtimes can be painfully long if you don't.

It isn't ME3 bad so it isn't like that. It's just a total fizzle.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I liked Mirror of fate, as well. I thought it was a lot better at the end when I had more attacks, but still pretty good. It's a shame that the design philosophy of the classic series seems to be lost to the mists of time though. The last one done in that vein was (i think) the snes port of dracula X, which wasn't as good as many entries in the series, but it still holds a special place for me as it was the first castlevania I actually owned.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Eh, what? Did you mean SSD? How bad can they be without an SSD?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I liked Mirror of fate, as well. I thought it was a lot better at the end when I had more attacks, but still pretty good. It's a shame that the design philosophy of the classic series seems to be lost to the mists of time though. The last one done in that vein was (i think) the snes port of dracula X, which wasn't as good as many entries in the series, but it still holds a special place for me as it was the first castlevania I actually owned.

There's Castlevania Adventure Rebirth on Wii, and it's pretty decent.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pomp posted:

Eh, what? Did you mean SSD? How bad can they be without an SSD?

He's probably referring to consoles.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Monkey Fracas posted:

Prince of DARKNESS duhhh! Dark. Sneaky. Shadows... Right? :suicide: Apart from that, so far LoS2 is scratching my DMC itch nicely, and it looks fantastic. Definitely n'thing way too much shiny stuff in combat though. Losing way too many combos because I can't see a enemy starting to swing due to a overabundance of :pcgaming: AWESOME DAMAGE EFFECTS :pcgaming: when getting my rampage on.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
in case you guys missed the news, the development of LoS2 was a mess. one guy has anonymously posted how awful and lovely it was, and specifically mentioned the shoehorned in stealth sections.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

in case you guys missed the news, the development of LoS2 was a mess. one guy has anonymously posted how awful and lovely it was, and specifically mentioned the shoehorned in stealth sections.

Yeah, it sounds like the game basically got John Romero'd, minus the hilarious advertising.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

limited posted:

LoS2 is scratching my DMC itch nicely

Uh what? Or do you just mean you wanted to play any brawler / action game?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Got a link? I'd love to read about it.

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Uh what? Or do you just mean you wanted to play any brawler / action game?

He might mean DmC not DMC, maybe?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

Got a link? I'd love to read about it.

This post has some of the allegations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This post has some of the allegations.

Well poo poo, for some reason I didn't bother looking for a topic for LoS2.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Rollersnake posted:

There's Castlevania Adventure Rebirth on Wii, and it's pretty decent.

I love Rebirth. It plays just like a classic style game, looks great with totally original sprite work, and it has a pretty cool Dracula fight too. My one kinda gripe with it though is that you can't jump on and off of stairs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dresh posted:

totally original sprite work

Not even close, but it's still a cool game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phantasium posted:

Well poo poo, for some reason I didn't bother looking for a topic for LoS2.

I did, but for some reason all I found was this one.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm playing through Dawn of Sorrow for the first time and holy poop, drawing those Seals is annoying. I think I've killed Zephyr like ten times now through the game deciding my lines aren't accurate enough, or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DeathChicken posted:

I'm playing through Dawn of Sorrow for the first time and holy poop, drawing those Seals is annoying. I think I've killed Zephyr like ten times now through the game deciding my lines aren't accurate enough, or something.

Trick is not to rush, you have all the time in the world to pull out the stylus, the timer doesn't start until you start drawing. I don't think I ever failed one in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

DeathChicken posted:

Remember, the timer doesn't start until you start drawing so you have all the time you want to get ready.