Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh that is it, I'm going to make a Vision megathread as soon as I find my "40 Years of Avengers" DVD.

I'm not sure who you're making fun of, you, or me, or Vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure who you're making fun of, you, or me, or Vision.

I'm being serious!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Red Tornado is better than The Vision because he has a cool song named after him and Vison doesn't.
:mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcT5M26Vow
(ok, I'm cheating)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Both Vision and Pym have the dubious honor of having actual interesting arcs painfully derailed by the Byrne Bus.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Both Vision and Pym have the dubious honor of having actual interesting arcs painfully derailed by the Byrne Bus.

I liked the concept of Dr. Pym as an identity since it gave him a unique role in superhero comics but I also felt that there wasn't a lot done with it. The Mighty Avengers run was a good attempt at approaching him from the same direction and that got derailed pretty hard as well. I like the idea of "super scientist on the edge trying to do good", but nothing seems to stick.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
How do people feel about the rumor The Matrix franchise is getting a reboot?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Everything ever is getting rebooted, so I'm pretty much ambivalent. If it's good, cool, don't care if it isn't.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mister Roboto posted:

It feels like the idea was already strip-mined and then the mine flooded and poison water leaked out everywhere. It was unpleasant. But maybe this time it'll turn out better?

Oh wait, rebooted, I see what you did there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

It'll be just as popular and memorable as the Total Recall and Robocop remakes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It'll be just as popular and memorable as the Total Recall and Robocop remakes.

Hey, the Robocop remake was great.

...we are talking about Dredd, right?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I think the lack of gravity-based superpowers in comic books is because there just aren't any good names for someone with gravity powers. Graviton? C'mon.

He fucks up the Avengers in the pilot of EMH and his wikipedia page powers reads like he could be the Avengers equivalent of Magneto but most people have never heard of him.

Have we all forgotten about "Gravity"? The guy died to save Hank Pym and then was reborn in order to stitch together a rupture in the fabric of reality!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey, the Robocop remake was great.

...we are talking about Dredd, right?

I realize you're joking but either way Dredd wasn't even a remake. :v:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Avengers I Will Vehemently Defend as Good Characters Who Are Often Handled Poorly:

Hank Pym
Wasp
Hawkeye
Quicksilver
Vision
Black Knight
Monica Rambeau
Starfox
Doctor Druid
Mockingbird
Wonder Man
USA Agent
Quasar
Rage
Fabian Stankowicz

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Quicksilver is loving awesome and it's awesome we're getting two different Quicksilvers in coming movies.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Edge & Christian posted:

Avengers I Will Vehemently Defend as Good Characters Who Are Often Handled Poorly:

Starfox
I gotta hear this one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought Rage had a lot of good ideas as a character but they were all a bit too on the nose and clumsy. Plus most of them got used way better when Bendis revamped Luke Cage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Black Knight was great in Captain Britain and MI-13.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Rage was the kid who had the Captain Marvel thing where he was in an super strong adult body but was like, 16, right?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

I gotta hear this one.
He's Thanos's peacenik brother who has the power of GOOD VIBES and fights injustice by encouraging everyone to be excellent to each other. And he could kick your rear end, he's basically a God, but he'd much much rather remind you of how awesome sunsets are and how every moment with your children is precious.

Or you know, a sleazy date rapist if you only read Dan Slott's She-Hulk, which falls under the "handled poorly [by a bad writer]" clause.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Rage was the kid who had the Captain Marvel thing where he was in an super strong adult body but was like, 16, right?
Kind of, he was a thirteen year old kid who got radioactive-macguffined into permanently being a hulking adult looking superpowered guy, and had none of the Wisdom of Solomon stuff that Captain Marvel had (until Geoff Johns's reboot where he's a petulant kid as The Big Guy too). I think that's an interesting angle to look at heroism and crimefighting and everything else, with the bonus angle of him basically being a physical manifestation of Trayvon Martin and every other 'scary' 'urban' youth: he was a little kid rushing home from afterschool basketball practice so he could have a snack and watch some cartoons [TOXIC WASTE] oh he's a big scary black guy that the cops had better shoot at for acting strange.

The Secretly a Kid thing is a pretty solid archetype, and Rage had/has some added complications I thought could have been explored more.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 1, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

He was like 12, yeah, but he looked like a beefy adult. Everyone perceived him as BLACK AND ANGRY THUG but inside he was just a good kid who loves his grandma and fights injustice the best he can.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Edge & Christian posted:

He's Thanos's peacenik brother who has the power of GOOD VIBES and fights injustice by encouraging everyone to be excellent to each other. And he could kick your rear end, he's basically a God, but he'd much much rather remind you of how awesome sunsets are and how every moment with your children is precious.
I still sorta hate that guy, though? And by his very nature you've got to compare him to Thanos, and... not a good comparison for Starfox.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

I still sorta hate that guy, though? And by his very nature you've got to compare him to Thanos, and... not a good comparison for Starfox.
How are you comparing him to Thanos, though? One is a would-be mass murderer/husband to death, and the other is cosmic Matthew McConnaughy. Thanos could take him in a fight, Thanos is a better villain for a blockbuster movie, he's probably easier to write. But that doesn't make Starfox bad.

Dom Dimaggio was an All-Star caliber major league baseball player, but he's no Joe DiMaggio.
Brian Doyle Murray is a gifted character actor, but he's no Bill Murray.
Starfox isn't Thanos. I get it. But why does that mean you have to hate him? I don't hate Cody Rhodes for being the least charismatic person in the family lineage of a plumber.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, it's nice that Thanos literally has a brother that exists as (and is actually named) Eros, but the love of life and desire to construct and be productive does not a good superhero make.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

CapnAndy posted:

I gotta hear this one.

Tell me more about this Fox who is also a star

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

I mean, it's nice that Thanos literally has a brother that exists as (and is actually named) Eros, but the love of life and desire to construct and be productive does not a good superhero make.
Basically that. If you're gonna be a superhero I'm setting the bar higher than "well, I can show up and make everybody happy and talk to you about peace and love and universal brotherhood", and much moreso for an Avenger. And I feel like if Thanos' brother is gonna be a superhero it's not exactly pushing the bounds of story structure to expect him to be a match for Thanos, not just one of the many C-listers Thanos would chump in a splash panel before the big guns showed up.

Also Edge you and me are gonna have some words about the charisma of Cody Rhodes and whether or not he's better than his brother (hint: yes he is).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think that Eros is a good counterpart for Thanos, the problem is the moment you settle the latest Infinity Imbroglio and you're driving a Quinjet over to take care of MODOK or whoever he's not much of an asset.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think that's what makes him an interesting character. I'm not selecting the most badass characters to add to my Ultimate Avengers RPG Crew, but what amounts to a peacenik pacifist superhero/god is a much more interesting concept than like, Plaid Hulk.

And why wouldn't the POWER OF KINDNESS help in a fight against MODOK? Maybe a lot of AIM underlings just need to be reminded of how sweet humanity is. Maybe MODOK could use a hug.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe MODOK could use a hug.

That sounds more like a job for Mr. Fantastic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Edge & Christian posted:

I think that's what makes him an interesting character. I'm not selecting the most badass characters to add to my Ultimate Avengers RPG Crew, but what amounts to a peacenik pacifist superhero/god is a much more interesting concept than like, Plaid Hulk.

Does an Ultimate Starfox exist?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

I have no soul? You just poo poo-talked the first Aquaman episode.
The first Aquaman episode isn't actually that good, though there are seeds of the great character he becomes.

And seriously the first Red Tornado episode is awesome. I can only assume you watched it in the wrong language or perhaps while asleep.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

He was like 12, yeah, but he looked like a beefy adult. Everyone perceived him as BLACK AND ANGRY THUG but inside he was just a good kid who loves his grandma and fights injustice the best he can.

The dude was almost named BLACK RAGE. It's not a subtle thing.

That said, I liked Rage, but he was a much better fit for the team he ended up on, namely the New Warriors. He was awesome in that book. But then, I loved that book way more than it probably deserves.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edge & Christian posted:

And why wouldn't the POWER OF KINDNESS help in a fight against MODOK? Maybe a lot of AIM underlings just need to be reminded of how sweet humanity is. Maybe MODOK could use a hug.

Maybe MODOK just needs to let go of all that hate and anger and get in touch with his feminine side ...

:stare:

Incredible Hulk #290

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mister Roboto posted:

As long as the Wachowski's are still doing it yeah I'm down. They need to promise to go full crazy from the get go though.

prefect posted:

Does an Ultimate Starfox exist?

Yeah. It's called Lylat Wars.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Worked out pretty well for Sunspot and Cannonball.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe MODOK just needs to let go of all that hate and anger and get in touch with his feminine side ...

:stare:

Incredible Hulk #290

And just to bring this around again, she's Hank Pym's ex-wife.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Hank Pym wasn't married to Kate Waynesboro. :ssh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I thought that was MODAM because even Marvel wouldn't be insane enough to have two female versions of MODOK.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They MODOKed Kate Waynesboro? :(

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

And just to bring this around again, she's Hank Pym's ex-wife.
Actually, Ms. MODOK was Bruce Banner's lab assistant/girlfriend Kate Waynesboro, who got turned back into a normal lady and was pretty much ignored after the Ms MODOK story until World War Hulk, where she ended up inheriting that Oldstrong power from one of Hulk's Warbound and has since been ignored again. That was the end of Ms. MODOK.

Ten or so years later, Steve Englehart was doing a weird run on West Coast Avengers that he abruptly ended after being mad about editorial interference on his FF run (and being mad at overall editorial misgivings about him adding Mantis to literally every comic he writes). A few issues before his run ends, there was a whole storyline where a bunch of evil commies (and Quicksilver) conspire to destroy Hank Pym for him defeating them in his early Tales to Astonish stories. The end of that story revealed that Pym's first wife Maria hadn't been killed in those stories, but was being hidden in Communist Bloc with an enormous brain somehow.

Pym leaves the team, vowing to dedicate his life to curing his long-dead ex-wife's giant brain. Englehart quits the book like two issues later, and John Byrne wants to use Hank Pym so this is never mentioned again in West Coast Avengers.

So it's down to then-EiC Tom DeFalco to wrap this up (presumably at the urging of Gruenwald) in an issue of Solo Avengers.

Turns out, it (probably) wasn't Maria at all, but some sort of double bluff on AIM's part! See, they needed Hank Pym's expertise to create a new MODOK. They figured if he thought he was helping his ex-wife, he would use his expertise to... I don't know, because he was trying to turn "Maria" back to normal, not complete her MODOK transformation.

See, she's SODAM! And she doesn't really look like the other MODOKS!

Then about six months later, Mark Gruenwald and Paul Ryan introduced M.O.D.A.M. (Mobile Organism Designed for Aggressive Maneuvers) with no explanation other than "AIM has built a new monster". It was generally assumed that MODAM was just SODAM with the rest of her transformation complete. Quasar ripped her cybernetic arms off, hit her with a giant energy-construct baseball bat, and tossed her into the Vault. MODAM tooled around in Mark Gruenwald comics for awhile, appearing regularly in Gru's mid-period Captain America run.

Later on someone apparently forgot or politely ignored the whole Maria Pym/clone storyline, and Omega Red showed up in an Iron Man storyline gunning to murder MODAM for her past betrayals when she was Olinka Barankova.

She insists that "records are often falsified" but she only appeared one more time in Captain America and hasn't appeared since 1995, so this may remain a great unsolved mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Mister Roboto posted:

Is it called The Invisibles?

• Locked thread