Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Voting for U-238 Rounds and Welcome to the Jungle, mostly for Goliaths, aka "Holy poo poo, did these mechs bail my sorry rear end out of trouble more times than I can count". Now, if U-238 Rounds sound familiar, they used to be a Marine upgrade in Starcraft 1 that did...exactly what the Reaper variant does: added range for Marines and a damage boost.

If my memory is correct, Tychus' cantina conversation basically summed up what would have been Tosh's arc/story had Starcraft: Ghost been published. I think Hanson's lab conversation is also a nod to Ghost's original plot as well, in regards to the mystery Dominion program Tosh was involved in. Sadly, I think that's about as much as we get in regards to all of this. There may be a stray line or two down the road, but this is all we'll hear about Tosh's backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Autsj posted:

I seem to recall something about _not_ abusing marine/medic to steamroll everything, why are people voting for medic upgrades :argh:.

Because we have more units besides Marines that can also be called on who will need healing. :colbert:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

AradoBalanga posted:

Voting for U-238 Rounds and Welcome to the Jungle, mostly for Goliaths, aka "Holy poo poo, did these mechs bail my sorry rear end out of trouble more times than I can count". Now, if U-238 Rounds sound familiar, they used to be a Marine upgrade in Starcraft 1 that did...exactly what the Reaper variant does: added range for Marines and a damage boost.

If my memory is correct, Tychus' cantina conversation basically summed up what would have been Tosh's arc/story had Starcraft: Ghost been published. I think Hanson's lab conversation is also a nod to Ghost's original plot as well, in regards to the mystery Dominion program Tosh was involved in. Sadly, I think that's about as much as we get in regards to all of this. There may be a stray line or two down the road, but this is all we'll hear about Tosh's backstory.

U-238 rounds did not increase damage in Brood War, just range.

Which, I guess is kinda like damage?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Synastren posted:

U-238 rounds did not increase damage in Brood War, just range.

Which, I guess is kinda like damage?
Ah, my mistake.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

AradoBalanga posted:

Um, I'm not sure what you mean, they're incredibly clear what the mystery Dominion program was later on in Tosh's arc in WoL.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Feinne posted:

Um, I'm not sure what you mean, they're incredibly clear what the mystery Dominion program was later on in Tosh's arc in WoL.
And my brain is on a roll today, as I remembered all of that stuff a little while ago. :doh:

Go me.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
I'm gonna say Both Reaper Upgrades and Outbreak.

Kill a bunch of zerglings in one shot!

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
Clusterbombs because I want to see them used effectively and U-238 Rounds so we hopefully use reapers anyway even if upgrading the marauder is probably better. Welcome to the Jungle kill all protes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ArkhamPraetor posted:

Welcome to the Jungle kill all protes.

t:mad:

Also someone explain to me how uranium-238 makes bullets travel farther.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Star Man posted:

Because the increased density and tiny amounts of radiation combined with that much momentum allow it to open a hole into magic scifi bullshit land and fly an extra yard

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Star Man posted:

Because science.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Because science.

Oh god. For those of you that don't know anything about the game outside of this LP, just you wait.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
So, the game simply suggests that it's because they're dense and something something which could justify hitting harder maybe but isn't a terribly good excuse for increased range.

You could probably bullshit something up about them either being able to use more propellant because the bullets are more resilient or the bullets being less prone to deforming and thus being more accurate at a longer range if you wanted an actual reason, though coming up with an actual superscience element and not just depleted uranium would be a better way to go.

marlinspike
Aug 7, 2010
lets go to minehoff and get a sweet buggy, also pick u238 rounds

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Weeellllll, if you've got a denser material for the bullet, then maybe you can have the same size casing with smaller bullets (with the same mass as the non-dense ones) and pack more propellant behind them? Same punch from the bullets, but more powder to launch them further.

Except that probably only justifies the added range, not the added damage. Oh well.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

biosterous posted:

Weeellllll, if you've got a denser material for the bullet, then maybe you can have the same size casing with smaller bullets (with the same mass as the non-dense ones) and pack more propellant behind them? Same punch from the bullets, but more powder to launch them further.

Except that probably only justifies the added range, not the added damage. Oh well.

A more dense bullet penetrates further and can do more damage

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
The old gun shoots shuttlecocks, so changing them to U-238 rounds would increase both damage and range.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Raldan posted:

The old gun shoots shuttlecocks, so changing them to U-238 rounds would increase both damage and range.

I think I'll accept that.

Also, who else misses when reapers could toss bombs at buildings. CERTAINLY NOT THIS PROTOSS PLAYER NOPE NOT ME.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
U-238 Rounds and Welcome to the Jungle

Star Man posted:

Also, who else misses when reapers could toss bombs at buildings. CERTAINLY NOT THIS PROTOSS PLAYER NOPE NOT ME.

They technically still can, the WoL campaign uses all the pre-expansion stats. This means that void rays are still really good

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kurieg posted:

U-238 Rounds and Welcome to the Jungle

They technically still can, the WoL campaign uses all the pre-expansion stats. This means that void rays are still really good

Yeah, I know. Single player and multiplayer are two different animals. Void rays are still pretty insane in multiplayer

For those that did not know about this, the balance patches for StarCraft and Brood War applied to single and multiplayer. There were patches that fixed some things in the campaign, but otherwise that 150-mineral cost for a spawning pool got changed for both sides.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Do all the upgrades apply to mercs as well?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Squalitude posted:

Do all the upgrades apply to mercs as well?

Yes.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
What is the status of Reapers these days? I really only ever played WoL and HoS for the single player.

Edit: Also, is anyone aware of any big custom levels or campaigns that deal with an extended evacuation of a planet? Something like a more detailed version of the Evacuation mission. Basically I wouldn't mind a campaign dealing with the initial infestation and evacuation of Mar Sara.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 1, 2014

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

SageNytell posted:

What is the status of Reapers these days? I really only ever played WoL and HoS for the single player.

They're good for early-game harassment but you won't see them afterwards. They did get a nice buff in HoS that lets them regenerate out of combat, although they lose their advantage against light units.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Voting Closed!

We'll be doing Outbreak and picking up U-238 Rounds and Concussive Shells!

Raldan fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 1, 2014

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Hermetian posted:

They're good for early-game harassment but you won't see them afterwards. They did get a nice buff in HoS that lets them regenerate out of combat, although they lose their advantage against light units.

They also have the speed upgrade innately, and they lost their anti-structure attack.

They function a lot like early-game ground mutas with cliffwalk now.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Isn't there even a mod somewhere that recreates the entire SC1 campaign in the SC2 engine?

e: There we go: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=303166

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 1, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So are the mission objective subtitles as hard to read in the game as they're coming across in the video?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They are not. The only bad thing about the videos are the out of game portion being desynced and running at sporadic fps. I watch in Youtube and download them.

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).
Post a star craft, please.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Update:siren:

Voting:

Upgrade
130,000 Credits available

Advanced Medic Facilities
- Medics no longer require the Tech Lab add-on.
60,000 Credits

Kinetic Foam
- Marauders gain +25 life.
90,000 Credits

G-4 Clusterbomb
- Anti-personnel charge with a large blast radius.
- Ejects smaller payloads in a radius for increased damage.
75,000 Credits

Twin-Linked Flamethrowers
- Doubles width of Hellion's flame attack.
40,000 Credits

Thermite Filaments
- Hellions do +10 damage to light units.
60,000 Credits

Titanium Housing
- Missile Turrets gain +75 life.
50,000 Credits

Hellstorm Batteries
- Missile Turrets gain a second attack.
- Second attack does area damage.
80,000 Credits

Research

Planetary Fortress
- Command Center can upgrade to a Planetary Fortress.
- Upgrade grants extra armor and the Twin Ibiks Cannon.
- A Planetary Fortress cannot lift on.

Perdition Turret
- Flame turret.
- Does massive area damage.
- Conceals itself when not in combat.

Mission

The Great Train Robbery
110,000 Credits
3 Zerg Research
New unit: Diamondback

Welcome To The Jungle
120,000 Credits
3 Protoss Research
New unit: Goliath

Voting will end Tuesday March 25st at 1:00 pm EST

Raldan fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 26, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Hellstorm Batteries because that second attack is pretty cool and pretty useful.

Perdition Turret because while awesome in multiplayer, I never really saw much use for the Planetary Fortress in single player personally.

The Great Train Robbery because robbing trains sounds better than robbing gas.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turret, and Welcome to the Jungle, because we're behind on our Protoss research.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Advanced Medic Facilities, Perdition Turret, Welcome to the Jungle

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hellstorm Batteries
Perdition Turret
Welcome to the Jungle

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
The joke with mass reaper in this mission is that if you have a decent bunker defense, you can attack during the night with impunity since the buildings only spawn extra units if they live after being attacked. Also you don't need to kill the infestors at night, you can just build a missile turret on top of them during the day while you're pushing out and reveal them since they're just burrowed.

Clusterbombs, Perdition Turret, and Welcome to the Jungle

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Advanced Medic Facilities, Planetary Fortress, and Welcome to the Jungle. I've always gone with the Perdition Turret myself, so I'd like to see how well the fortress compares.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turret, and Welcome to the Jungle

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Hellstorm and Titanium Housing, cause gently caress your credits. Grab the Perdition for maximum automation and do Welcome to the Jungle so 1/3 of the things you just got is ultimately useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hellstorm Batteries. Shoot the whole sky down. And as cool as a big huge cannon is, I think the Perdition Turret is better suited to your playstyle, Raldan. Plus, having an automated ground defense system that doesn't take up supply points sounds like just what the Terrans need. Finally, Welcome to the Jungle sounds fun, if only because I've had that song stuck in my head all day ever since it came on the radio this morning.

• Locked thread