Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

2) You can't drop, and neither can anyone else, since you have to relinquish your cards back to the pool then stick around for redraft time. Hope everyone played with sleeves tonight!

We redraft stuff and have players drop all the time. If there's anything specific you want you just tell the TO what it is, otherwise they make your picks based on value and you pick them up next time you're around.

I suppose it would be much less convenient if you weren't a regular customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

In other news, was anyone surprised by how little anything changed at the pro tour? I was expecting the format to be shaken up quite a bit more, but I guess it's hard to make a new deck that stands up to all the big players in the meta and also doesn't fold to all the random combo decks and bit players too.
Richmond will shake it up a bit. PT BNG already a little bit shook up looking at online results. Multiple 4-0 Blue Moon decks. More graveyard based decks winning by feeling confident by the lack of graveyard hate. Twin is now arguably top dog in Modern. Jund moving back towards a BG Rock type deck is a positive step imho. People are learning how to play Amulet, Storm, and Unlife-Lightning Storm type of decks. I've seen 4-5 different decks putting the Gift-Rites package in them which might spurn a new tier 1 deck.

I think there were a lot of positives out of the Pro Tour. Only one 'new' deck(which technically was a shell of an old deck) but that's sometimes ok.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Any Ausgoons going to be at GP Melbourne? I'm up in Brisbane but I was wondering what it'd be like down there.

Also, FNM went remarkably well considering I was running a deck worth 1/10th of most of the other players. :haw:

Game 1: 2-0 against a R/G deck that got shut down by my full playset of Pacifism.

Game 2: 1-2 against Mono-B Rakdos Rush-slash-Devotion. She had enough removal to slap down 90% of my creatures, and I got massively mana screwed in game 3.

Game 3: 1-2 against Aura-Stacking White. First game was a hilarious mess of Banisher Priests on both sides, but in the others I didn't get enough lockdown to handle his 15/19 five-card abominations.

I'll probably post my new decklist in the Brewhaus later.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It seemed like there was much more variety than previously in modern. The top 8 has, from my count, 6 different decks (3 being different takes on twin) and then just outside of top 8 there's zoo, merfolk, hexproof, living end, etc.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I FINALLY won FNM! Even if it was only the 3PM FNM. I undismantled my Golgari deck for one last shot, and it worked out. I 2/0'd a RG ramp into land destruction deck. Then I 2/0'd another RG ramp into land destruction deck? :wtf:
I didn't even get to live the dream of turn 2 Golgari Charming 2 or 3 Elvish Mystics.

I split with my friend playing WUR control but won 2/1 in our for fun games. Game 1 I got flooded like crazy - like 13 lands on turn 13 plus 2 Caryatids. I didn't think I'd have a chance game 2 or 3, but it turns out Thoughtseize is realllly good. And I hate playing it so much.

http://deckbox.org/sets/602477
I might switch another Golgari Charm into the main for a Putrefy for tomorrow. A lot of people are playing control. The Courser was absolutely the MVP whenever I saw it, and the Bow was pretty good, but I don't think I'd want more than 1.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

How would this deck (Dissolution's UW prison deck) deal with T3 Blood Moon?

I've playtested it a few times on Forge, and the only thing that absolute stomps me is that. It makes me want to run the mono-white version even more if Blue Moon is going to be a big thing.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Mortimer posted:

How would this deck (Dissolution's UW prison deck) deal with T3 Blood Moon?

I've playtested it a few times on Forge, and the only thing that absolute stomps me is that. It makes me want to run the mono-white version even more if Blue Moon is going to be a big thing.

Would probably just keep playing white enchantments? Blue moon seems pretty threat lite so I think it wouldn't need it's blue splash as much.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Game Day.
GAME DAY.
GAME DAY!

I'm so excited for Game Day, I just wish the only decks I could bring weren't Mono U and Prime Speaker Bant but I'm realizing if I want that Minotaur Playmat I need to apply my tryhard pants and slam some Master of Waves :getin:

Does anybody know what an 'optimal' sideboard for Mono U is, anyways?

I'm currently running:
1x Pithing Needle
1x Ratchet Bomb
2x Bident of Thassa
1x Rapid Hybridization
2x Cyclonic Rift
1x Domestication
1x Jace, AoT
1x Jace, Memory Adept
3x Gainsay
1x Negate
1x Dissolve

I'm not really a fan of counterspells but Dissolve has saved my rear end more times than I'd like to count, even as a one of in the side.

Opinions?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Speaking of Pacifism, could it be maindeckable in a White deck(especially as an efficient 2 mana UW spell) now that devotion has become a minor thing? It's still a meh card against Mono Blue and Mono Black, but it does so many wonders for all the RG decks.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

Game Day.
GAME DAY.
GAME DAY!

I'm so excited for Game Day, I just wish the only decks I could bring weren't Mono U and Prime Speaker Bant but I'm realizing if I want that Minotaur Playmat I need to apply my tryhard pants and slam some Master of Waves :getin:

Does anybody know what an 'optimal' sideboard for Mono U is, anyways?

I'm currently running:
1x Pithing Needle
1x Ratchet Bomb
2x Bident of Thassa
1x Rapid Hybridization
2x Cyclonic Rift
1x Domestication
1x Jace, AoT
1x Jace, Memory Adept
3x Gainsay
1x Negate
1x Dissolve

I'm not really a fan of counterspells but Dissolve has saved my rear end more times than I'd like to count, even as a one of in the side.

Opinions?

Personally I like 2 Memeory Adepts for the control matchup.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

Personally I like 2 Memeory Adepts for the control matchup.

I was thinking that too, and I'd probably side out two of my three AoTs when I do that, correct?

I just get hella sad when I slam that big bad Memory Adept and it immediately gets countered. It always seems to happen when I play against BW Control, too. :(

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

I was thinking that too, and I'd probably side out two of my three AoTs when I do that, correct?

I just get hella sad when I slam that big bad Memory Adept and it immediately gets countered. It always seems to happen when I play against BW Control, too. :(

Nope. You usually sideboard out some of the creatures that are weaker in the control matchup, like Judge's Familiar and Master of Waves (totally for reals). You want to commit as few threats to the board as possible (Mutavaults rock here) to force them to make poo poo 1-for-1 trades on Verdict. Bident's rock in this matchup, and Thassa is her usual awesome self. Both Jace's can be great here - AoT for a few mini-Facts to get you to threats, and Memory Adept for putting your control opponent on a 5 turn clock and/or drawing if you need to.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

Nope. You usually sideboard out some of the creatures that are weaker in the control matchup, like Judge's Familiar and Master of Waves (totally for reals). You want to commit as few threats to the board as possible (Mutavaults rock here) to force them to make poo poo 1-for-1 trades on Verdict. Bident's rock in this matchup, and Thassa is her usual awesome self. Both Jace's can be great here - AoT for a few mini-Facts to get you to threats, and Memory Adept for putting your control opponent on a 5 turn clock and/or drawing if you need to.

The damned shame is that I lack the Mutavaults to optimally poo poo on UW's day.

So I'd probably want to side out the Tidebinder Mages then since they're literally bears in this matchup.

So the Pithing Needle and the Memory Adepts would come in, the Tidebinders, Judge's Familiar and MoW, but what else would I slap in, the Ratchet Bomb to blow up the tokens, the Gainsays and the Dissolve and Negate?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 1, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Korak posted:

Speaking of Pacifism, could it be maindeckable in a White deck(especially as an efficient 2 mana UW spell) now that devotion has become a minor thing? It's still a meh card against Mono Blue and Mono Black, but it does so many wonders for all the RG decks.

Pacifism really does poo poo all over R/G, and it can be pretty strong versus Heroic W decks if they don't pack enough anti-enchantment. It's basically trash against Mono Blue, agreed, but it can prove useful against some of the early burners in Mono Black (though there's the problem where it won't stop their Devotion bonuses of course).

I'm a massive budget player so I don't have the luxury of getting the best options right now, but I maindeck 2 Pacifism and have another 2 in my sideboard in my G/W deck. The element of Pacifism that players sometimes overlook is that it stops blocking as well, which can be fantastic when you have a 7/7 Polukranos but nothing to give it trample in your hand.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

The damned shame is that I lack the Mutavaults to optimally poo poo on BW's day.

So I'd probably want to side out the Tidebinder Mages then since they're literally bears in this matchup.

So the Pithing Needle and the Memory Adepts would come in, the Tidebinders, Judge's Familiar and MoW, but what else would I slap in, the Ratchet Bomb to blow up the tokens, the Gainsays and the Dissolve and Negate?
Against UW control, in my experience, you want something like this (numbers obviously vary depending on what you have in your board):
+2 Jace, MA
+1-2 Needle (for Elspeth/Aetherling/Jaces)
+3-4 Gainsay
+1-2 Dissolve
+1-2 Negate
+1 Bident
+1-2 Cyclonic Rift

You usually want to drop the following:
-1-2 Rapid H. (whatever you main)
-4 Judge's Familiar
-4 Master of Waves
-1-2 Domestication (whatever you main)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Patrick Pepper's playing a WBR midrange/control brew on camera at GP Melbourne right now. Rakdos's Return, Merciless Eviction (sideboard apparently), Elspeth, Desecration Demon, Dreadbore, Warleader's Helix. Pretty spicy, going to game 3. I think they also just mentioned it has Assemble the Legion. He won game 2 by swinging his demon through 2 tapped opponent's demons and then casting Return for 7. He had previously cast Return for 4 and got 4 out of 5 of his opponent's cards.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 1, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Boco_T posted:

Patrick Pepper's playing a WBR midrange/control brew on camera at GP Melbourne right now. Rakdos's Return, Merciless Eviction (sideboard apparently), Elspeth, Desecration Demon, Dreadbore, Warleader's Helix. Pretty spicy, going to game 3. I think they also just mentioned it has Assemble the Legion. He won game 2 by swinging his demon through 2 tapped opponent's demons and then casting Return for 7. He had previously cast Return for 4 and got 4 out of 5 of his opponent's cards.

Where could I get a deck list of this? I'm trying to build a deck like this for EDH and I'm looking for ideas on theme and style.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Promoted Pawn posted:

Seconded, but the whole box is much more likely to be worth more than its contents. An unopened MMA booster box is worth $300+shipping right now and can only go up; TCGPlayer right now is about 20 boxes away from that figure being $350.

So less than a week later and we're up to $330 (and only a few boxes away from $350) on TCGPlayer and Twitter says eBay buy it now is already there. $400 is inevitable before the end of the year.

Edit: poo poo what am I saying $400 is probably low for a year end price on MMA boxes.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 1, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mikujin posted:

Against UW control, in my experience, you want something like this (numbers obviously vary depending on what you have in your board):
+2 Jace, MA
+1-2 Needle (for Elspeth/Aetherling/Jaces)
+3-4 Gainsay
+1-2 Dissolve
+1-2 Negate
+1 Bident
+1-2 Cyclonic Rift

You usually want to drop the following:
-1-2 Rapid H. (whatever you main)
-4 Judge's Familiar
-4 Master of Waves
-1-2 Domestication (whatever you main)

What do you SB in against monsters and rakdos aggro decks? This is my usual:

+2 Rapid H
+1 Rift
+3 Bomb

-2 Jace
-1 judge's familier
-1 Domestication
-2 Bident.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 1, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

What do you SB in against monsters? This is my usual:

+2 Rapid H
+1 Rift

-1 Domestication
-2 Bident.
That's exactly what I have for it. If I had any Pithing Needles in my board I'd bring them in and drop an equal number of Judge's Familiars since they're little more than a 1/1 flier that gives U devotion which is ok but not impressive, and shutting off Planeswalkers and/or Monstrosity on something like Polukranos (or Arbor Colossus) at the right moment can be pretty solid.

I keep thinking about bringing another Nykthos main, since it's just super good, but casting Nightveil on time can sometimes be tough.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mikujin posted:

That's exactly what I have for it. If I had any Pithing Needles in my board I'd bring them in and drop an equal number of Judge's Familiars since they're little more than a 1/1 flier that gives U devotion which is ok but not impressive, and shutting off Planeswalkers and/or Monstrosity on something like Polukranos (or Arbor Colossus) at the right moment can be pretty solid.

I keep thinking about bringing another Nykthos main, since it's just super good, but casting Nightveil on time can sometimes be tough.

How about against RB aggro? I'm seeing a lot of that in my meta game.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

How about against RB aggro? I'm seeing a lot of that in my meta game.
Similarly, you want Bidents out, since it's a card that's only good if you're ahead on the board, and against aggro and ramp it's hard to get ahead fast. Against weenie aggro I like to bring in another Jace AOT, Rifts, and Domestications, dropping our big fat MoW since won't have devotion for him since you'll be trading aggressively and/or getting your dudes burnt out. Fat-butt guys like Nightveil and Frostburn rock here, Tidebinder is amazing if it hits a guy, and Thassa will win you the game if you can turn her on (and sometimes even if you can't).

You can usually frog your own guys to get a solid 3/3 blocker, or blow up their suited up guy. Rift can help give you a lot of time, too. And of course, Domestication on just about anything they play/suit up is gonna give them feelbads since most of their dudes are 2/X bodies - you can even end of turn Frog a dude and Domesticate it back to block on yours if you're feeling sassy.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

ungulateman posted:

Any Ausgoons going to be at GP Melbourne? I'm up in Brisbane but I was wondering what it'd be like down there

I'm at the GP, fun day and 902 players for for the main event, largest Australian event by a couple if hundred. I'm not playing in the main event, got buddies hanging in for day 2. Played legacy this morning and bombed real bad with breakfast burrito and went 1-4. Only highlight was round 5 game 2, opponent got a deathrite down while I was still trying for black mana. Didn't get it the turn after so was about to concede but being the final round I just kept playing but told my opponent I now had no way to win unless he misplays. He ended up forgetting that he could exile mimeoplasm in response to my dread return so I got there then got it t1 in game 3.

Just started playing modern running esper mill 1-0 so far. Repping the janky decks today.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Having a great time at game day playing maze. Ate a control decks'lunch round one, then lost in five minutes to burn. Maze rules.

Also, If you want to battle the horde, play Nighthowler. It is very broken against these decks. Like, kill them in two turns broken.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Weird question... what are DCI numbers at nowadays?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
5-1 at Game Day. Of course, the one I lost was the finals, to a misplay (turns out the combat damage change means you can't block a 2/2 with an elvish mystic, and float mana from it to Golgari Charm after damage).

Still, I did figure out that dredge is amazing fun to play when there's no graveyard hate around.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

So SCG is nearly sold out of $200 Tarmogoyfs. While TCGPlayer still has a bunch of $160 Future Sight ones in stock, this shows the market won't balk at piercing the $200 barrier if Modern season demand keeps enough upward pressure on it.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Ah, Game Day. I managed to scrape together a MURDERGOATS list, except with none of the good removal in it (so I'm playing Lightning Strike and Magma Jet instead of Dreadbore and Hero's Downfall), and I can't wait to get to the store and see how well this will do. Some testing in the last few days shows it to be consistent enough.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Jabor posted:

5-1 at Game Day. Of course, the one I lost was the finals, to a misplay (turns out the combat damage change means you can't block a 2/2 with an elvish mystic, and float mana from it to Golgari Charm after damage).

Still, I did figure out that dredge is amazing fun to play when there's no graveyard hate around.

Yeah, Dredge is a lot of fun when you can actually play it.

And actually, it was the change to when mana pools empty that's the problem. Mana pools used to empty at ends of phases, now it's steps and phases.

Brownhat fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 1, 2014

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011

Jabor posted:

I thought that rule 510.4 says that players get priority in the combat damage phase after first strike, and then again after normal combat damage. How does this work?

edit: I'm dumb, you'd need something to actually have first-strike for that to happen, otherwise it's only after normal combat damage.

lardnar fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 1, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

lardnar posted:

I thought that rule 510.4 says that players get priority in the combat damage phase after first strike, and then again after normal combat damage. How does this work?

edit: I'm dumb, you'd need something to actually have first-strike for that to happen, otherwise it's only after normal combat damage.

So the actual reason is the combination of the combat damage change, and the fact that mana now drains from your pool after every step, rather than every phase.

If I let combat damage happen, I no longer have the green mana in my pool. If I cast the spell first, the elf dies and doesn't deal any damage.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Weird question... what are DCI numbers at nowadays?

I got mine at the Theros prerelease, and it's 1103-757-###.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

WillOfTheGods posted:

£1.50 per booster is considerably cheaper than me and my friends usually get ours, where do you buy from if you don't mind me asking? There's no local game shops that stock M:tG or run any events near us so we typically buy a box or 2 worth of boosters and run our own. Cheaper cards would be really nice.

https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/?mainPage=browseCategory&idCategory=2 or if you want boxes try http://www.shop-021.de/shop-GamesIsland.html where you can get boxes for around ~£70 or cheaper if you don't mind it in a foreign language.

Samael fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 1, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

a dozen swans posted:

I got mine at the Theros prerelease, and it's 1103-757-###.

I'm just curious how long they are now. I got mine in 2000, but I heard they switched the format of them.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Finding a Judge's Familiar at my local games store is not incomparable to finding the Higgs Boson.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

First Bass posted:

Finding a Judge's Familiar at my local games store is not incomparable to finding the Higgs Boson.

If you're willing to wait I will mail you a playset for free.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Went 2-3 at the game day. Destroyed 2 control decks, lost to 2 burn decks, and lost a close one to a mono-black aggro when I misplayed my mana (played a Maze turn 3 instead of a blue gate which would have made me able to D-Sphere something to keep living.) Had a real fun time playing Maze's End. There was another Maze player there who also went 2-3, and we compared strategies (he plays Divination instead of Jace/Kiora for card draw, which I may experiment with because card draw coming earlier is a big boon to find verdicts.)

I noticed one of the regulars at my LGS was not there today, and I asked where he was. Well, turns out he is at the Melbourne GP: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpmel14/welcome#2

And he's currently in the top 8 after 9 rounds. He is the best player I have ever played against, and have never won a match against him. I came so freakin' close two weeks in a row at FNM but made two bone-headed plays both times to lose. Everyone at the store was talking about it, even though I couldn't really understand much. Its always cool to see someone you've played against do so well at a GP.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The fact that the GP is largest in Australia and still doesn't crack 1000 players is completely mindboggling considering the state of GPs elsewhere in the world.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MrBling posted:

The fact that the GP is largest in Australia and still doesn't crack 1000 players is completely mindboggling considering the state of GPs elsewhere in the world.

Looking at the past few SE Asian GPs, Hong Kong couldn't crack 1000, Bangkok couldn't, Taipei couldn't, Kuala Lampur barely did, and the Brisbane GP did less than 500. Going back 4 years, the only one to be really big was Manila at 1100. 1000 is about the ceiling outside of Japan for Asian GPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Emerson Cod posted:

How much does everyone's LGS charge for draft? Mine does $12 with prize support of usually a pack per head. They do pretty good business in singles and other games, so I guess they've decided that it's a reasonable price point. I couldn't see any store charging more than $15, though.

$15 and 1.5 packs/person, I believe. Not the greatest prize support in the world, but the clientele is solid.

Last night was my LGS' semi-annual customer appreciation night, though. $20 for a draft, but everyone gets a cheap deck box, a pack of ultra pro matte sleeves, and a door prize. Door prizes ranged a bit, but people got sealed commander 2013 decks (including mind seize!), the NPH and M13 event decks, Izzet v. Golgari duel decks. I got 6 packs of Spanish DGM and pulled a progenitor mimic, a godless shrine and a temple garden. So shout outs to Wizard Wagon in St. Louis.

• Locked thread