Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Eegah posted:

What are some good web resources for iOS music stuff? Most of what I can find is just app description dumps and link farm type sites.

I haven't read any of it yet, but there is a newsstand magazine for iOS music apps called "apptronica magazine".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
discchord.com and synthtopia.com are ok. Audiobus forums are comparable.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

In Gadget, is there a way to loop a specific bar? IE: I have a 4 bar loop but just want to focus on the first bit?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

In Gadget, is there a way to loop a specific bar? IE: I have a 4 bar loop but just want to focus on the first bit?

If you change the time sig down from 4/4 to 1/4 then it will just loop the first count of the bar

Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4lLNyRYCU&t=187s

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

RandomCheese posted:

If you change the time sig down from 4/4 to 1/4 then it will just loop the first count of the bar

Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4lLNyRYCU&t=187s

Perfect, thanks! Great software.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Have a big 'ol pile of TC-11 promo codes. Update coming soon, have some extras to burn through:

R6EPPME4R6J4
4Y7RAWNW9XKY
TMLWRFPFKA4E
4FT96Y99K6X6
HEPNMAYFFHY9
F7HKRYEMN4KT
HH37FFK6RPH7
AELHPRMMEAN3
MN99H4P6TW4J
6WJXWTP6NWYF

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Grabbed HEPNMAYFFHY9. Thank you very much!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

4FT96Y99K6X6 stolen by me!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Grabbed MN99H4P6TW4J thanks!

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Redeemed AELHPRMMEAN3 (and discovered someone redeemed 6WJXWTP6NWYF without posting)--very much looking forward to trying this out this weekend.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I took F7HKRYEMN4KT, thanks.

Meow
Dec 31, 2004

I grabbed TMLWRFPFKA4E. Thank you!

tut
Nov 4, 2004

Grabbed HH37FFK6RPH7. Thanks!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I redeemed 4Y7RAWNW9XKY. Thanks a bunch~

E: I have no idea how to use this thing but I'm pretty sure it's the coolest app I own

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 5, 2014

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
I guess everyone else started at the bottom, because I snagged R6EPPME4R6J4 from the top. Thanks!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
iVCS3 just dropped, which to my disappointment is an old-rear end analog synth instead of an Atari 2600 emulator. Their other apps (Stria, iPulsaret, iDensity) are discounted from 9 bucks to 5 for two weeks as well.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Lemur update inbound shorly.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/03/video-teaser-lemur-ipad-get-way-awesome/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It's also half price now, 24.99

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Animoog is apparently half price again, but I'm guessing almost all of us own it already.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any fun grooving type apps that export out in MIDI? I want to be able to jam out an idea and actually be able to work on it properly later.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
if you just mean MIDI controllers, maybe arpist or chordion? you can use them both with audiobus stuff

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You might get some milage out of Arpeggionome Pro, which is pretty customizable and might let you stumble into a few bass riffs. I also picked up StepPolyArp today which is more of a 'program an arp' deal, pretty similar to what VirSin builds into their synths. It has a random function I'm planning on screwing around with, but is somewhat harder to use.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
While I'm at it I dug up a few more links for review sites and such.

SmiteMatter published one of the first iOS-only albums back in 2011. Honestly I can't get into his music much (even if I do like ambient) but he has a good blog covering his experiences with using various apps for both his albums.

For those of you with Thor, Gordon Reid of Synth Secrets fame published an analogous series covering the desktop version. The iOS version is drat close if not identical as far as I know, to the point where patches for one work with the other. It's more application than theory focused since I imagine Propellerhead was paying him for it.

Original MiniMoog patch charts for those with iMini. Really wish it would work with BeatMaker 2 already, argh.

20patch Turns making MS-20 patches into some sort of Diablo character spec sheet type of deal. Has a few patches submitted by users. Not a fan of most of them personally.

Music App Blog is the big prize. Dude reviews drat near every music app that comes out and does a good, thorough job.

I've been listening to a lot of synthwave lately and in particular loving me some Miami Nights 1984 which scratches that analog synth itch that I've been buying all these damned apps for. Hoping to making something on similar lines, though I've never really done 'serious' music before so how knows how the gently caress it'll end up.

lord funk, I have to admit I haven't had a chance to try out TC-11 much. I'll try to give it a good spin and post a trip report, promise!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I recently bought KORG Gadget after holding off for quite a while. I've spent so much money on music apps that it was difficult to spend $29 on yet another one. This one is worth the money, though.

I've bought like a dozen standalone synth apps, some of which are quite powerful, but Gadget comes with a bunch of synths that all have their own strengths, and best of all, they keep things simple while offering just enough knob tweaking to create unique sounds. The included presets are very good, too. It doesn't take a lot of time to get great sounds out of this app.

The sequencing and building song structure are simple and flexible enough to get things done quickly. You can build the skeleton of a song really quickly. Automation is similarly flexible and quick to put to work for livening up sequences. If you're content to work solely within the app, creating songs is a breeze once you're familiar with all of the app's functionality.

The included effects are fairly high quality, although I'd like to see a wider variety of send effects in the future.

The drum machine includes ~400 samples, largely quite good ones. Being able to import your own drum samples would open up possibilities quite a bit. Hopefully KORG adds that functionality.

KORG has already stated that audio tracks are going to be added in the near future, so I think this app has the potential to be a major iOS DAW, especially for the EDM folks.

It's on sale for $28.99 until the end of this month. After that it goes up to to $38.99.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Positive Grid is releasing their Ozone clone, called Final Touch, today for $19.99. It looks pretty impressive, especial for the price.

Alternatively, there's also Audio Mastering, which has many of the same features for a lower price. I own this and it's quite a high quality app.

Here are some videos of Final Touch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoBQaNhI2GU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIGpa0op8kE

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
If only I could get far enough in the composition process to get anywhere near to mastering :sigh:

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Eegah posted:

If only I could get far enough in the composition process to get anywhere near to mastering :sigh:

I know what you mean. I dabbled in EDM production on the desktop for years, but never accomplished anything worth remembering. It was only once I started getting iPad apps that I started getting "serious" about completing tracks. Even then, I too often got stuck creating a bunch of 30 second loops.

I've been really productive since I bought Korg Gadget. Instead of shuffling synth and effects apps through Audiobus, I just fire up Gadget and everything's in the app. It has its limitations but the immediacy of having a bunch of synths right in the app has me breezing through composing tunes.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My current music process:

* Come up with a bass line or chord progression in my head and say "hm that seems neat"
* Fire up Caustic or BM2 and a synth, try it out
* Think about what to do next with it, declare "music is hard"
* By this point I've bought like, three new synths to gently caress around with
* Save phrase as "Idea 140325 01.bm2" and never touch it again.

I don't know why this whole music thing brings out the ADHD so hard but drat. I think perhaps it's because I'm still in the stupid newbie phase and I'm still learning how to get that sound on synths, develop melodies and everything all at once and I'm not concentrating on any specific task.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I usually get the drum beat and bassline part and let it loop for 30 minutes while I futz around trying to find a lead tone I'm happy with. I never find a lead I'm happy with.

So I delete everything but the drums and bass.

"Sounds great, I'm done."

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Eegah posted:

I don't know why this whole music thing brings out the ADHD so hard but drat. I think perhaps it's because I'm still in the stupid newbie phase and I'm still learning how to get that sound on synths, develop melodies and everything all at once and I'm not concentrating on any specific task.

What's sad is that I've been in that phase for almost 20 years.

I should probably move on and find a new hobby at this point.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Stop buying synths and just finish songs.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think I've ever finished anything on the ipad but I export a lot of stuff to be sampled later. I've used it a bunch live for audio and controlling other stuff, I'll be playing Nave at a gig (it will also be clock master for other stuff) this weekend.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Eegah posted:

* Come up with a bass line or chord progression in my head and say "hm that seems neat"

For me what really helps is to put it all on my ipod and keep it in regular rotation. At some point I'll hear a track pop up and just suddenly know what comes next for it.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
For me it really helps if I just don't make any music tracks with my iPad and focus on improvised noise :haw:

https://soundcloud.com/flixxx/modular-nanostudio-pings-ios

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's kindof what I was hoping Gadget would help for, give me a self-contained environment for fleshing out a sketch before making a real track out of it with other synths (I'm mostly doing 80s synthwave type stuff). Unfortunately Gadget doesn't have any sort of MIDI export functionality I know of so I'm kindof stuck there. Caustic is a little better about this it seems but its export seems pretty cumborsome (and you need AudioShare for it).

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Eegah posted:

Synth collecting is a common distraction. I've bought a bunch of them. The trick is to spend time getting proficient in 2 or 3 of them. Gadget has 10 synths to choose from, but I've spent a fair amount of time with each of them and they each excel at particular kinds of sounds, so when I want to make a certain kind of sound I know which synth to use.

I compose techno. My process is something like this:

1. Sequence a typical 4/4 oontz oontz beat to work over.
2. Write a bassline.
3. Repeat the beat and bassline over several bars, add an evolving synth sequence.
4. Add some rhythmic elements and effects.
5. Use what I've composed so far to begin building a song structure, create intro/outro, etc.
6. Hopefully finish the track.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
:siren: Auria is half off today

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
How can I get DM-1 to trigger from a sequencer such as BM2 or Genome? I have the channel set right, it looks like DM1 uses the GM MIDI codes (36 for the bass drum which is C1 for instance) but I'm not getting any sound. Is it a bug in DM1's MIDI implementation?

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Pumped to see Amplitube Orange make it to iOS!

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/cat-view.php?C=family-at-orange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
hey guys AUDIOBUS 2 came out. it's a free upgrade for AB1 owners, but the ability to have multiple separate audio app chains is a $5 IAP. also has preset saving.

• Locked thread