Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
The latest Heaven Shall Burn album, Veto, might be up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Radio Paranoia posted:

The latest Heaven Shall Burn album, Veto, might be up your alley.

Got that confused with While Heaven Wept for a second there and got real excited.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I have no friends. Who's going to Decibel Tour in Vancouver @ the Commodore in March?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm a little late on this, but any thoughts on Dream Theater's latest offering? Gave it a couple of spins this week and I feel like I'm missing something. It seems so bland and formulaic to the point where the band couldn't even be bothered to come up with a name for it. Mangini's drumming will take some getting used to as well - it sounds like he's hitting bags of flour. Their previous album grew on me so maybe this will too, but other than the first couple of tracks and the string & piano sections of the closer there doesn't seem like a lot to latch on to.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It was pretty much Dream Theater by numbers with some Rush influence thrown in.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

HJB posted:

Dream Theater... bland and formulaic
All their music is like that, idk why you'd expect it to be good.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I figured when I posted that I'd get some sort of reply like that. Shame.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I posted my thoughts, earlier (either here or the prog thread) and agree. It had a few nice ideas, such as the intro track, but mainly you could merge them all into one or two good tracks.

But the rest, it's just sort if there and doesn't really make a lasting impression, even with all the Rush bits. Recent albums have been pretty great once it had time to grow, specially ADToE (apart from the "radio hit" number) and this time just... blah.

EDIT: I'm also an admitted DT fanboy and even expecting their usual failings, just didn't work this time.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Mangini is such a ridiculously boring drummer too. All technique, no style and a thoroughly bad sound

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I can't think of a record I've heard in a while that sounds more like the band coasting on autopilot than the most recent Dream Theater. Dramatic Turn of Events was pretty stale overall but it had a little bit of vitality to it at times, I imagine due to the change in writing dynamic with Portnoy gone. The self-titled lacks any of that. It sounds like what you'd get if you fed Dream Theater's discography to a markov chain generator.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Jolly and Haken did a far better job just throw the DT record away and pretend it never happened.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Stoat posted:

Jolly and Haken did a far better job just throw the DT record away and pretend it never happened.
Vanden Plas has been writing better Dream Theater albums than Dream Theater for at least the last ten years.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Dream Theater Fuckin Sucks

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
When I work out I listen to trashy christcore like War of Ages and hardcore stuff like Dangers and Blood for Blood. Or Volbeat because Volbeat is always cool.

Also, the new Sinbreed album is sounding pretty good if you like that whole cheesy buttrock power metal thing.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Misogynist posted:

Vanden Plas has been writing better Dream Theater albums than Dream Theater for at least the last ten years.

This, and VP also has a much better singer.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I listened to the stream that the record label put up shortly before the album was released, decided it wasn't worth my time, and listened to Live at the Marquee instead. Their career peaked in 1994 and it's just been a long, painful slide downhill from there. Also, they hype up the new drummer for years, and we finally hear him with music he helped write, and he sounds just like the old drummer, but not as good! :psyduck:

Fenrir posted:

This, and VP also has a much better singer.

I can only remember what Andy Kuntz sounds like while listening to Vanden Plas because he's one of the most utterly forgettable singers in metal.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 4, 2014

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
So I just rediscovered my Faith No More collection and Ive been listening to it non stop for the past 2 weeks. This poo poo is soo good.

You can even hear how this music influenced so many after them.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Angel Vivaldi's new EP is streaming on Metal Injection:

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/angel-vivaldi-does-away-with-words-on-new-instru-metal-ep

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Peechka posted:

So I just rediscovered my Faith No More collection and Ive been listening to it non stop for the past 2 weeks. This poo poo is soo good.

You can even hear how this music influenced so many after them.
Angel Dust is basically the best record of the nineties

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Misogynist posted:

Come now. If Alice in Chains had a bad album it's still better than anything Mike Patton Exfaithnomore has done

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Morbid Florist posted:

Come now. If Alice in Chains had a bad album it's still better than anything Mike Patton Exfaithnomore has done

Fantomas' Director's Cut is good. RV off Angel Dust reminds me heavily of that album as a whole now that I think about it. Both are great

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The new Morbus Chron album is streaming here: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/morbus-chron-sweven-lp-stream

It's fuckin weird I tell ya

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Selim Lamouchi from the Devil's Blood passed away today.

(It's definitely confirmed, I confirmed it with their former TM/touring buddy.)
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/03/selim_louchi_of.html

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Picked up a few CDs for payday, including Pharaoh's Bury The Light and man it kicks all the right sorts of rear end.

It had a bunch of good reviews from places I trust, but just never gotten around to checking them out before. They don't seem to get much talk so I forgot about them. I dig some of the slightly unusually playing and then just the straight up charging riffs.

I really need more USPM stuff, I know I like it, need more of it on my to buy list.

EDIT: phonepost typing.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 5, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

I suspect you're confusing Angel Dust with some other album that isn't Angel Dust

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Pattonchat in the metal thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp8U6Mt_OG8

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Got my copy of Through The Never today, and watching it, I really feel bad for anybody that didn't get to see it in IMAX 3D. It's just not the same. I wish I could see it in the theatre again.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Misogynist posted:

I don't know what you even call that 90s alternative scene thing (what does alternative even mean anymore?) but angel dust is definitely the best of it

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I don't know what you even call that 90s alternative scene thing (what does alternative even mean anymore?) but angel dust is definitely the best of it

It was my favourite album of the summer when I was going off to university. It's 22 years ago this year which means there are, statistically, kids running around now whose grandparents hadn't hosed yet. gently caress this getting old bullshit. :corsair:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Slim Killington posted:

Got my copy of Through The Never today, and watching it, I really feel bad for anybody that didn't get to see it in IMAX 3D. It's just not the same. I wish I could see it in the theatre again.

Yeah. I gotta admit, I had maaaaasssssive fanboy joy when the camera follows Metallica up on stage. Seeing that in IMAX 3D made you feel like you were walking on-stage with Metallica.

I don't care how cynical you are, walking on-stage with Metallica is loving cool.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

thepitgoddess posted:

Selim Lamouchi from the Devil's Blood passed away today.

(It's definitely confirmed, I confirmed it with their former TM/touring buddy.)
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/03/selim_louchi_of.html

drat. Their first album deserves to be a doom classic.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Have any of you guys listened to the new Vanishing Point album? Just from listening to the two songs on YouTube, it's already hitting all the right spots.

On top of that, there are another couple of albums I need to add to my queue: the new Vanden Plas, and Thoughts Factory.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I've been listening to the new Nocturnal album, Storming Evil. It's another unhealthy dose of blackened thrash in the vein of early Destruction, Sodom, Aura Noir and maybe even a little Kreator worship. A solid release for early 2014. I've officially lost count now on how many great bands Fenriz has turned me on to. He's like that black sheep uncle that shows up once a month in his dirty patched denim vest driving a 70s Dodge van with a Frank Frazetta mural airbrushed on the side. Only to leave you with another gem from his personal vinyl collection that reeks of stinky weed.

Thanks Uncle Fenriz! :black101:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I've been listening to the new Nocturnal album, Storming Evil. It's another unhealthy dose of blackened thrash in the vein of early Destruction, Sodom, Aura Noir and maybe even a little Kreator worship. A solid release for early 2014. I've officially lost count now on how many great bands Fenriz has turned me on to. He's like that black sheep uncle that shows up once a month in his dirty patched denim vest driving a 70s Dodge van with a Frank Frazetta mural airbrushed on the side. Only to leave you with another gem from his personal vinyl collection that reeks of stinky weed.

Their old stuff is good and this new album owns even more now that their recording budget has seemingly doubled from "cost of a six pack" to "cost of a twelve pack." Vocals aren't too shabby as well.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Man, you're really selling this album. I really wanna check it out now but I have enough stuff to listen through without acquiring even more! I've gone from "2014 is slow so far" to "help, drowning in new releases".

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What is the biggest, dumbest schlockiest metal?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Pomp posted:

Dragonforce

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Wintersun.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's Manowar, come on people.
It's loving MANOWAR

Other bands play, Manowar kills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np4mo3-2hAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Pomp posted:

Power metal. Literally the whole genre.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also, the new Sinbreed album is sounding pretty good if you like that whole cheesy buttrock power metal thing.

Oh god, thank you so much for pointing this out. I have an irrational love of When Worlds Collide.